Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Paigeboy
0 Kudos

Be warned: Peter Robinson's new book might be Poison

I'm a fan of the inspector Banks books. But I just got Before the Poison, and it is rough, tough SLOW going. OMG. I don't know if I can make it. It's filled with too much crappy boring detail. It's as if all the kind reviews about Banks have pushed him toward literary conceit. Anybody else reading it?

Keep reading!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Be warned: Peter Robinson's new book might be Poison

Paigeboy wrote:

I'm a fan of the inspector Banks books. But I just got Before the Poison, and it is rough, tough SLOW going. OMG. I don't know if I can make it. It's filled with too much crappy boring detail. It's as if all the kind reviews about Banks have pushed him toward literary conceit. Anybody else reading it?

I'm a big fan of his work, personally.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Sounds like a difference in preference. I just finished Tana French's

In the Woods which is full of atmospheric detail, and not too long ago, I read

Killing Floor (Jack Reacher Series #1)  which is sparse and action-packed. Totally different writing styles, but I really enjoyed them both.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Sounds like a difference in preference. I just finished Tana French's

In the Woods which is full of atmospheric detail, and not too long ago, I read

Killing Floor (Jack Reacher Series #1)  which is sparse and action-packed. Totally different writing styles, but I really enjoyed them both.

I've read both of those - they are also on my always-read list!

Contributor
Paigeboy
0 Kudos

I have to eat some crow here. The book did get better. But it is slow, slow going at first. So, sorry to jump the gun. But really, it's not quite up to Inspector Banks.  There's even more music writing, but it's actually too much. I think I perfer Inspector Rebus's music criticism.

Keep reading!