Contributor
Paigeboy
0 Kudos

Be warned: Peter Robinson's new book might be Poison

I'm a fan of the inspector Banks books. But I just got Before the Poison, and it is rough, tough SLOW going. OMG. I don't know if I can make it. It's filled with too much crappy boring detail. It's as if all the kind reviews about Banks have pushed him toward literary conceit. Anybody else reading it?

Keep reading!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Be warned: Peter Robinson's new book might be Poison

Paigeboy wrote:

I'm a fan of the inspector Banks books. But I just got Before the Poison, and it is rough, tough SLOW going. OMG. I don't know if I can make it. It's filled with too much crappy boring detail. It's as if all the kind reviews about Banks have pushed him toward literary conceit. Anybody else reading it?

I'm a big fan of his work, personally.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Sounds like a difference in preference. I just finished Tana French's

In the Woods which is full of atmospheric detail, and not too long ago, I read

Killing Floor (Jack Reacher Series #1)  which is sparse and action-packed. Totally different writing styles, but I really enjoyed them both.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Sounds like a difference in preference. I just finished Tana French's

In the Woods which is full of atmospheric detail, and not too long ago, I read

Killing Floor (Jack Reacher Series #1)  which is sparse and action-packed. Totally different writing styles, but I really enjoyed them both.

I've read both of those - they are also on my always-read list!

Contributor
Paigeboy
0 Kudos

I have to eat some crow here. The book did get better. But it is slow, slow going at first. So, sorry to jump the gun. But really, it's not quite up to Inspector Banks.  There's even more music writing, but it's actually too much. I think I perfer Inspector Rebus's music criticism.

Keep reading!