Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: CARINA PRESS - Romantic Suspense for E-Readers

JulieMoffett wrote:

I love series, too! I enjoy seeing the growth of characters and re-visiting them. They really do become like family!

I've actually written two sets of series before.  The first was a two-book time-travel series which was originally intended to be just one book, but I got so much fan mail for a second book, I wrote it!  The other series was a planned historical/paranormal trilogy I wrote with my sister about three sisters who were descendants from the Salem witches. I wrote the first and third books in the series and she wrote the second one, So, I do have a love affair with series, even as an author!

Right now, I have the "No" series (as I'm calling it) arc set for five books.  But I could definitely do more if it keeps rolling along. I'm currently writing the third book tentatively titled, "No Place Like Rome." If you read the first two books, you'll probably figure out where I'm going with this third one!  :smileyhappy:

Hope you enjoy the story!  Do let me know!

Julie Moffett

www.juliemoffett.com

Twitter: JMoffettAuthor

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Julie-Moffett-Author

Julie - this thread will always be accessible, and it will come up when people search your name (or "Carina") here.

Save the link to this thread so you can come back and add the links to your future books when they come out. (This goes for all of you Carina authors!) Adding new comments will push this thread to the front of the board, so our participants will see any new comments right away.

Author
JulieMoffett
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke! Love that cover and think it fits so well. Can't wait to see the next cover!!!  :smileyhappy:

Author
Toni_Anderson
0 Kudos

I think my husband's autobiography would be more fascinating. He grew up in Newry, Northern Ireland, during the 70s, but he doesn't talk about it much.

Kent is lovely too--and expensive! Boo!

My dark moody hero in STORM WARNING comes from the Chicago area. :robothappy:

My books tend to be a mix of US and British-ness. I blogged about the differences in language on our Carina Author Mystery and RS blog last week. It's fun.

NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

Toni Anderson
DANGEROUS WATERS (coming Nov 20, 2012)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JulieMoffett wrote:

Thanks, Becke! Love that cover and think it fits so well. Can't wait to see the next cover!!!  :smileyhappy:

Julie - I admit it, I'm a cover junkie. While I don't buy books primarily for their covers, I do find myself drooling over a lot of them - the hot ones AND the pretty ones, as well as the cool contemporary covers and the painted historicals and chick lit! 

Does Carina have their own artists in addition to graphic designers? It would be fun to talk with someone who creates these covers!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Toni_Anderson wrote:

I think my husband's autobiography would be more fascinating. He grew up in Newry, Northern Ireland, during the 70s, but he doesn't talk about it much.

Kent is lovely too--and expensive! Boo!

My dark moody hero in STORM WARNING comes from the Chicago area. :robothappy:

My books tend to be a mix of US and British-ness. I blogged about the differences in language on our Carina Author Mystery and RS blog last week. It's fun.

NOT YOUR USUAL SUSPECTS

Oh, that's when the troubles were really bad in Northern Ireland. It was a scary time.

As to Kent, we were young and broke. We didn't live in the nice parts of town!

Do you have trouble keeping British and Canadian idioms out of your writing? Or do you just go with it and leave them in? I never realized how many British-isms I'd picked up until I started getting my stories back from my critique partners with "Huh?" next to words I could have sworn were American!

Author
Toni_Anderson
0 Kudos

Do you have trouble keeping British and Canadian idioms out of your writing? Or do you just go with it and leave them in? I never realized how many British-isms I'd picked up until I started getting my stories back from my critique partners with "Huh?" next to words I could have sworn were American!

It's better now--my editor at Carina has a great eye for those details. But, yes, things slip through occasionally. Because I have both American and UK characters it is more about keeping it in the correct POV. I have found myself in 3 way discussions about some terms with editors and copy editors. Like the term B&E (breaking and entering) and whether or not an American audience would understand the acronym. I have also found that the terms people use in the States varies greatly. Some people in some places use 'pop' for soda and others have no clue. I love it though. I love being surprised :smileysurprised:

Toni Anderson

Author
JulieMoffett
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

JulieMoffett wrote:

Julie - I admit it, I'm a cover junkie. While I don't buy books primarily for their covers, I do find myself drooling over a lot of them - the hot ones AND the pretty ones, as well as the cool contemporary covers and the painted historicals and chick lit! 

Does Carina have their own artists in addition to graphic designers? It would be fun to talk with someone who creates these covers!

They have seriously rocking cover artists! I think all the Carina covers are amazing. And they really do consider our input.  I think the cover for No One Lives Twice went back for tweaking at least 3 or 4 times.  I'm very happy with the final outcome!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Toni_Anderson wrote:

It's better now--my editor at Carina has a great eye for those details. But, yes, things slip through occasionally. Because I have both American and UK characters it is more about keeping it in the correct POV. I have found myself in 3 way discussions about some terms with editors and copy editors. Like the term B&E (breaking and entering) and whether or not an American audience would understand the acronym. I have also found that the terms people use in the States varies greatly. Some people in some places use 'pop' for soda and others have no clue. I love it though. I love being surprised :smileysurprised:

B&E isn't American? There you go - I could have sworn it was. The lines have grown more fuzzy as British and Australian actors become more common on American crime shows. It's tricky for me, too, because I watch as many British mystery TV shows and movies as American ones, and I also read a LOT of books by British authors. 

I've played with the idea of writing a story with a British hero or heroine, but I'd want to spend some time in England again before doing that. Hmmm - I wonder if my tax accountant would consider that a deductible expense? Somehow I don't think so.

You're right about the dialect differences across the U.S. - my New England-born grandmother used a lot of words that my Midwestern-raised family weren't familiar with. I didn't know what birch beer was, for one thing, and I didn't know a "tag sale" meant a "garage sale." "Tap" and "faucet" also change from place to place. Here in Cincinnati, people say, "Please?" instead of "Excuse me?" - took me awhile to get used to that!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JulieMoffett wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

JulieMoffett wrote:

They have seriously rocking cover artists! I think all the Carina covers are amazing. And they really do consider our input.  I think the cover for No One Lives Twice went back for tweaking at least 3 or 4 times.  I'm very happy with the final outcome!

I hope some of the cover artists will stop in. It would be interesting to hear about their work - I don't have a clue what their process is like.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just a quick note - we have a lot more people viewing than posting comments, which is normal here. If you want to keep track of the view count, go to the very first comment box in the introduction - you'll find the current view count at the lower left. 

It's fun to check back months later and see how that number has gone up!

Author
Caridad_Pineiro
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for posting the covers and for this wonderful welcome!

Caridad Pineiro
STRONGER THAN SIN Nov 2010
AZTEC GOLD Jan 2011
Visit www.caridad.com for additional information
Author
MaureenMiller
0 Kudos

Hello, Becke.  Thank you for hosting us!

My romantic suspense novel, ENDLESS NIGHT will be released by Carina Press this May.

If you are a fan of cold, dark, suspense-filled romance, you'll want to check this one out.

Carina Press has so many fantastic authors, but I have a soft spot in my heart for my fellow Romantic Suspense clan. 

Stay tuned here and I will keep you updated with the latest information on ENDLESS NIGHT!

Maureen

ENDLESS NIGHT - Carina Press
www.maureenamiller.com
Author
Toni_Anderson
0 Kudos

Actually I think B&E is both American & British (and even more Canadian) but I had to do a 3 step to be allowed to get my American hero to keep it. 

I think the crossover is getting to be more and more with TV shows crossing the pond. I'm grateful for it. I couldn't live without CRIMINAL MINDS or equally without Masterpiece Theatre. I really love it when they throw a Brit into a US show, like LIE TO ME and Stephen Fry ocassionally in BONES.

Now I'm thinking about TV when I should be writing. I know quite a few US writers having British heroines/heroes. I think you could pull it off having lived there.:smileyhappy:

Toni Anderson

Author
Shirley_Wells
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Shirley_Wells wrote:

Wow - just look at this for a welcome. We even get a red carpet.

Thank you for inviting us Carina Press authors to the party, Becke. It's great to be here!

I live in the UK and write British mysteries, usually classified as hard boiled detective fiction. My latest Carina Press mystery, PRESUMED DEAD, was published in July 2010 and features private investigator Dylan Scott. The second Dylan Scott mystery will be published in August 2011.

Although I don't write romantic suspense, I've downloaded several from Carina Press. I've loved every single one. 

Looking forward to chatting to everyone. Meanwhile, I'll raise a glass of champagne in true party spirit.

Presumed Dead

Hi Shirley - Thanks for joining the party! I like the champagne idea - cheers!

I didn't realize you were over the pond, Shirley. My husband is a Londoner and we lived there for several years when we were first married. He still has a lot of family there - we don't get over as often as we like. What part of the UK are you in?

Becke, I love the champagne glasses. :smileyhappy:

I expect you'll know London better than I do then. I'm "up north", in the Rossendale Valley area of Lancashire to be precise. Where it rains a lot. Actually, it's a beautiful part of the world. We have some stunning landscapes and the area provides the inspiration for my books. If it wasn't for the rain, it would be perfect.

Shirley Wells
http://www.shirleywells.com
Author
clarelondon
0 Kudos

Hi Becke and *waves hello* to the other Carina authors! This is a great chance to catch up with all the great titles in this range, and at such a friendly forum.

I have a murder mystery novella (male/male) published at Carina called "Blinded by Our Eyes", set in a London art gallery. It's not classified specifically as Romantic Suspense, but there's romance - and suspense - oh, and the murder mystery as well :smileywink:. So I hope people don't mind me dropping in as part of the crowd today to say Hi, and congratulations to all.

It's an exciting time to join Carina and I'm very excited they accepted my novella. What's more, I've made some new friends and gained a rather large pile of "To Be Read" books :smileyhappy:.

Clare London

Blinded By Our Eyes 

Writing ... Man to Man
http://www.clarelondon.co.uk
At Carina Press: Blinded by Our Eyes
Coming Feb 2011: The Tourist
becke_davis
0 Kudos

MaureenMiller wrote:

Hello, Becke.  Thank you for hosting us!

My romantic suspense novel, ENDLESS NIGHT will be released by Carina Press this May.

If you are a fan of cold, dark, suspense-filled romance, you'll want to check this one out.

Carina Press has so many fantastic authors, but I have a soft spot in my heart for my fellow Romantic Suspense clan. 

Stay tuned here and I will keep you updated with the latest information on ENDLESS NIGHT!

Maureen

Maureen - Sound like my kind of book! Do you have a cover yet? If you do, send me a jpeg at: Treethyme@aol.com and I'll post it here for you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Toni_Anderson wrote:

Actually I think B&E is both American & British (and even more Canadian) but I had to do a 3 step to be allowed to get my American hero to keep it. 

I think the crossover is getting to be more and more with TV shows crossing the pond. I'm grateful for it. I couldn't live without CRIMINAL MINDS or equally without Masterpiece Theatre. I really love it when they throw a Brit into a US show, like LIE TO ME and Stephen Fry ocassionally in BONES.

Now I'm thinking about TV when I should be writing. I know quite a few US writers having British heroines/heroes. I think you could pull it off having lived there.:smileyhappy:

I love reading books with British heroes and heroines! And I'm a sucker for British mystery shows: Midsomer Murders, Inspector Lewis, New Tricks, Murder in Suburbia, Murder City, New Street Law, McCallum, Rebus, Jonathan Creek, Waking the Dead - too many to list!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Shirley_Wells wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Shirley_Wells wrote:

Wow - just look at this for a welcome. We even get a red carpet.

Thank you for inviting us Carina Press authors to the party, Becke. It's great to be here!

I live in the UK and write British mysteries, usually classified as hard boiled detective fiction. My latest Carina Press mystery, PRESUMED DEAD, was published in July 2010 and features private investigator Dylan Scott. The second Dylan Scott mystery will be published in August 2011.

Although I don't write romantic suspense, I've downloaded several from Carina Press. I've loved every single one. 

Looking forward to chatting to everyone. Meanwhile, I'll raise a glass of champagne in true party spirit.

Presumed Dead

Hi Shirley - Thanks for joining the party! I like the champagne idea - cheers!

I didn't realize you were over the pond, Shirley. My husband is a Londoner and we lived there for several years when we were first married. He still has a lot of family there - we don't get over as often as we like. What part of the UK are you in?

Becke, I love the champagne glasses. :smileyhappy:

I expect you'll know London better than I do then. I'm "up north", in the Rossendale Valley area of Lancashire to be precise. Where it rains a lot. Actually, it's a beautiful part of the world. We have some stunning landscapes and the area provides the inspiration for my books. If it wasn't for the rain, it would be perfect.

My husband has relatives in York, but that's about as far north as his family goes. His dad is in Northampton.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

clarelondon wrote:

Hi Becke and *waves hello* to the other Carina authors! This is a great chance to catch up with all the great titles in this range, and at such a friendly forum.

I have a murder mystery novella (male/male) published at Carina called "Blinded by Our Eyes", set in a London art gallery. It's not classified specifically as Romantic Suspense, but there's romance - and suspense - oh, and the murder mystery as well :smileywink:. So I hope people don't mind me dropping in as part of the crowd today to say Hi, and congratulations to all.

It's an exciting time to join Carina and I'm very excited they accepted my novella. What's more, I've made some new friends and gained a rather large pile of "To Be Read" books :smileyhappy:.

Clare London

Blinded By Our Eyes 

Hi Clare - welcome to B&N's Mystery! I've read several M/M romances recently, and I'm very intrigued by your upcoming mystery!

I encourage you and the other visiting authors to check our BN.com's Paranormal and Romantic Reads boards, too.

Paul Goat Allen, our fabulous moderator for paranormal, sci fi, urban fantasy, etc., also writes B&N's sci fi and fantasy blog, EXPLORATIONS. Paul is also a well-known book reviewer.

Melanie Murray moderates our Romantic Reads board - she has written women's fiction and is currently writing YA (under a pen name). She was an editor for a major New York publishing company not too long ago.

The amazing Debbie Haupt moderates B&N's General Fiction board, and reviews books at LibraryThing and other places.

Be sure to check out B&N's RANSOM NOTES mystery blog and our romance blog, HEART TO HEART.

There's always something happening here!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I should point out that the most recent posts are always on page 1. The site SHOULD automatically move you to the next page, but that doesn't always happen. If you go away and come back, the site should automatically take you to the last post read.