becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: CARINA PRESS - Romantic Suspense for E-Readers

Carol_Stephenson wrote:

Thanks, I will. I know my editor has seen the draft copy for Courting Disaster & thinks I will be very pleased. So fingers crossed that I get it this week. :smileyhappy: Carol

Fabulous, Carol!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MarieForce wrote:

No worries, Becke! We got it figured out! Congrats on the great page view count!

If you all want to keep track of the views, you can see it in the lower left corner on the very first comment box in your introduction (where the red carpet is). You all are very popular! 

And I should point out, my views aren't included in that count.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

To any of you who would like to respond:

Awhile back I asked friends who attended the Reader Appreciation Day at the West Chester, Ohio Barnes & Noble to suggest questions I should ask our featured authors.

This is what they came up with:

1) What of the five senses do you tap into most when you're writing?

2) What favorite book of yours do you wish you had written?

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

4) Do you watch mystery TV shows and/or movies? If so, which do you like best?

5) If you were casting your books, who would you choose?

6) Are you a pantser or a plotter?

7) Out of all your books, which is your favorite?

8) What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

Author
Elise11
0 Kudos

Hi Becke:

Thanks for adding the photo of my cover. I tried to add it yesterday but my techie skills are not the best. I guess I should tell you a bit about myself. Began a career as a singer, actress and later a stage manager. Began writing plays when I realized there were not enough roles for women. Plays led to short stories and articles and finally to that exciting-dream come true- phone call from Angela telling me that Carina Press would publish Scene Stealer as an eBook.

I've enjoyed meeting my fellow Carina Press authors-USA, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom-I hope I haven't missed a nation-a knowledgeable and funny group and I'm enjoying this week with Romantic Suspense for E-Readers.

Scene Stealer is available at www.B&N.com and wherever eBooks are sold. An audio version is available at www.Audible.com

If you would like to learn more about me - www.elisewarner.com  www.elisewarner.blogspot.com

Bests,

Elise

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elise - thanks for telling us about yourself! I'm glad you included links to your website - I forgot to suggest that. 

The more links the better - if you all are on Facebook and Twitter, or if you have blogs, post those links for us, too! Let's keep this connection going!

Do any of you have special plans for Valentine's Day?

Author
Toni_Anderson
0 Kudos

I love these questions :smileyhappy:

I'm a really visual person so I always start with an idea of how the scene looks from the general setting/environment, to the living space, and what the character is doing and the expression on their faces, the expressions they are trying to hide. It's the whole movie scene viewing thing for me. After that sound and scent come into play. Touch and taste are important--especially in love scenes :smileyhappy: I try to use them all but I'm definitely biased towards visual.

3) What do you think about the show Castle? Who do you think is hotter, Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler? (Don't blame me, I didn't come up with these questions!)

I love Castle for the interplay between characters and the overall concept. And as for Nathan or Gerard--they are both so lovely I'd take them both :smileyvery-happy:

Jumping up and down with excitement here. I love casting my characters even though readers might not agree.

STORM WARNING: Ben Foley is Eric Bana. sigh. Sorcha Logan is more difficult. I used a Johnny Boden model as my image for her. She's a tall beautiful ash blond. Not sure who I'd cast.

SEA OF SUSPICION: Nick Archer is Sean Bean. sigh. Susie Cooper would be played by a Laura Linney (love that actress).

HER SANCTUARY: Nat Sullivan would be a young Paul Newman or maybe Mark Valley out of Human Target? sigh. And Elizabeth Ward would be Kate Beckinsale.

PLOTTER all the way.

All of them. Perhaps a special place in my heart for SEA OF SUSPICION set in the marine lab where I did my postgrad work and where I met my hubby. But then STORM WARNING is set in the town where we bought our first house together and had babies. HER SANCTUARY is the first book I ever wrote and set in glorious Montana...I can't choose.

Great questions.

Sea of Suspicion

Storm Warning

Her Sanctuary

Toni Anderson
DANGEROUS WATERS (coming Nov 20, 2012)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Toni - I LOVE the casts you chose for your books! Now if only Hollywood is paying attention...

Author
Shirley_Wells
0 Kudos

Great questions!

I 'try' to tap into them all. However, if a scene isn't coming alive, I always turn to 'smell'. Whether it's a tangy ocean breeze or a piece of burning toast, I think a sense of smell goes a long way to making a scene stronger.

Far too many to mention. If I'm enjoying a book, you can bet your life I'm wishing I'd written it.

Okay, this one took me a while. First, I hadn't even heard of Castle so I had to go look it up. It sounds great so I hope it comes to the UK soon. Then I couldn't decide between Nathan Fillion or Gerard Butler and had to spend a lot of time - and I mean a lot of time - comparing images of them both. Obviously, I need to do a lot more research before I can say for sure but, for now, I think I'd go for Gerard Butler.

I adore mystery TV shows and movies. Can't get enough of them. I've been an addict for as long as I can remember, and that's a long time. Way back, it was the US shows - Starsky and Hutch (Paul Michael Glazer every time in case you're wondering), Columbo and Kojak. The UK shows improved and I enjoy Frost, Morse, Silent Witness, Cracker and lots more. Currently, I can't get enough of Dexter. He's one of my all-time favourite characters. 

I've no idea but, believe me, I'd have a lot of fun choosing.

A pantser. I don't have the patience to plot. I always vow I will but then I dive straight in.

Possibly Into the Shadows. I think that's because it was my first mystery (before then I'd been writing romances under a different name). Also, my agent didn't want me to write a crime novel and she certainly didn't want me to set it in Lancashire. Fortunately, I felt strongly enough to do both. Stubborn, moi?

Then again, the latest, Presumed Dead, might be my favourite as it's the first of (hopefully) many outings for private investigator Dylan Scott. 

I was an Enid Blyton fan as a child. I was almost word perfect on the Secret Seven book. 

Right, I'd better do more research into the Nathan Fillion/Gerard Butler question. I may be some time...

Shirley

Presumed Dead 

Shirley Wells
http://www.shirleywells.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Shirley - I love Enid Blyton, too! It's a shame she's not better known in the U.S.

I hope you get a chance to see Castle in the U.K. - it's a fun show, very tongue-in-cheek.

What are the big detective shows in the U.K. this season?

Author
anghenry
0 Kudos

Hello!

A big thanks to Becke for hosting us!

My name is Angela Henry and my romantic suspense thriller, The Paris Secret, was released by Carina Press on January 17th.

Less than twenty-four hours after fleeing to Paris, Maya Sinclair is the prime suspect in a brutal murder—and targeted by the real killer. When she's viciously attacked in the gardens of Versailles, Maya barely escapes with her life thanks to sexy French journalist Simon Girard.

Simon has been investigating the mysterious death of his brother, an art forger with ties to the woman Maya is suspected of killing. Still healing from heartbreak of his own, Simon reluctantly joins forces with Maya, who has awakened feelings within him he thought long dead.

Their search for answers uncovers the existence of a secret society, and puts them on a quest to find a missing crucifix rumored to hold the key to everlasting life. Together, Maya and Simon race through Paris one step ahead of a killer who will do anything to ensure some secrets remain buried forever...

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Author Website

The Paris Secret Blog

The Paris Secret Book Trailer

dhaupt
0 Kudos

JulieMoffett wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Hi to all the wonderful authors visiting from Carina Press, gosh Harlequin is the new IT!!!

Welcome and thanks Becke for hosting this.

I review right now for Mira so I know my contacts there will be e-winging my way some of your novels and it's a good thing I have a nook because with all the great sounding novels here it looks like my nook is going to get a work out.

Gotta love February :smileyhappy:

Debbie:  I'd love to follow you on Twitter or Facebook and catch some of your reviews!  Or do you have a site where you post your reviews??

Thanks!

Julie Moffett

No One Lives Twice (Carina Press, August 2010)

No One To Trust (Carina Press, June 2011)

Her Kilt-Clad Rogue (Carina Press, August 2011)

www.juliemoffett.com

Twitter: JMoffettAuthor

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Julie-Moffett-Author

Hi Julie, and thanks. I see that you've found my blog and you'll have to forgive the slow response as I'm stuck at home with dial-up, wow that's like saying "middle ages" :smileyhappy: 

I hope to get a lot of new authors out of this month of romantic suspense and add to that ever growing To Be Read Pile.

Thanks and I know we'll talk soon.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

MarieForce wrote:

Phew! I finally got in! Thanks for the help Becke!

I'm the author of Carina's Fatal Series, which began last June with Fatal Affair:

On the morning of the most important vote of Senator John O’Connor’s career he is late—again. His best friend and chief of staff, Nick Cappuano sets off to O'Connor’s apartment expecting to roust him from bed and hoping he is alone. But what Nick finds is that O’Connor, the handsome, amiable Senator from Virginia, has been brutally murdered, and Nick’s world comes crashing down around him. Complicating the disaster, the detective assigned to the case is none other than Sam Holland, Nick’s one-night stand from six years earlier, the woman who broke his heart and haunts his dreams. With six years worth of unfinished business hanging between them and more than a few scores to settle personally and professionally, Nick and Sam set out to find the senator's killer while trying—and failing—to resist the overwhelming attraction between them that seems to have only grown over the years.

It soon becomes clear that the Senator’s past holds secrets that not only led to his death but now endanger Nick and Sam as well. Working together to find a killer and to rediscover the love they thought they lost long ago, they must put the past behind them and build a future that offers a world of new opportunities for both of them—including an offer from the Virginia Democrats for Nick to finish the last year of John’s term.

And continued in January with Fatal Justice:

Supreme Court nominee Julian Sinclair comes to Washington expecting to be confirmed to the high court. Instead, he’s found shot execution-style in a city park. Detective Lt. Sam Holland’s list of suspects is long, but does it include her significant other, Senator Nick Cappuano, one of the last to see Sinclair alive? While tracking down Sinclair's killer, Sam is also confronted with a new lead into her father's unsolved shooting that leads to unexpected danger for her. In the meantime, Sam's partner, Detective Freddie Cruz, returns to the "scene of the crime" when he looks up Elin Svendson, one of the late Senator John O'Connor's sexy ex-girlfriends. After a lifetime of virtue, will Freddie be led down the road to ruin by a temptress who wants only one thing from him?

Next up is Fatal Consequences on July 18 and the Fatal Series Wedding Novella, Fatal Destiny, FREE to readers on September 5. Beginning tomorrow on my blog (and continuing until Feb 14), readers will get to choose the details of Sam & Nick's Wedding: http://mariesullivanforce.blogspot.com.

Finally, I also write contemporaries and have a new book out in print and ebook formats tomorrow: Everyone Loves a Hero.

Nice to be here!

Hi Marie (waving)

Marie is an old friend of mine from way back with her novel 

Line of Scrimmage 

which was one that I judged for the Bean Pot contest that New England Romance writers put on every year which I'm right now in the middle of judging this years selections. Not telling, don't ask

And then I also loved her next book Love at First Flight too.

Welcome Marie and welcome to Carina  Press :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Good morning to all the authors today, gosh I can't wait until I'm able to get back to work so I can T1 through all of these posts instead of stuck at home in the storm of the century and dealing with dial up, but i don't use the computer much at home so it doesn't make sense to spend the extra dough, ray, me for it since my company foots the bill for my internet access.

I'm so glad you've all gotten in even those of you who experienced our famous B&N gremlins.

And Becke I use Safari, it's the only web browser that my mac likes with B&N.com

Isn't Becke great hosting this,

thanks Becke

Okay I have to go back over to General Fiction to see if my members are behaving themselves. I have a Mira author visiting this month as we discuss her novel Saving Max

Talk to you all soon

Author
anghenry
0 Kudos

Cool questions!

Probably sight. I'm a very visual person and when I write the scenes runs through my head like a movie and I write down what I see.

Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone.

I love Castle! And I think I have to choose Nathan over Gerard. I just loved him in Firefly!

I've watched Mystery on PBS since it first aired in 1980.

If I were casting The Paris Secret:

Maya Sinclair: Halle Berry

Simon Girard: Olivier Martinez (The hot French guy from Unfaithful!)

Total plotter. I write a detailed chapter outline before I write.

The Paris Secret because I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something different.

Little House on the Prairie, Trixie Beldon, Nancy Drew, Amelia Bedelia, etc

Angela Henry

The Paris Secret

Author
Shirley_Wells
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Shirley - I love Enid Blyton, too! It's a shame she's not better known in the U.S.

I hope you get a chance to see Castle in the U.K. - it's a fun show, very tongue-in-cheek.

I'll look out for Castle, Becke.

We have old favourites Lewis (the Morse spin-off) and Midsomer Murders in the UK but a lot, like The Wire come from the US. Recently we've had some great new shows including Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch playing the great detective in 21st century Britain) which I think travelled across the pond. I loved it. We also had 13 terrific episodes of Wallander (the Swedish version with English subtitles) and Luther (starring Idris Elba in the title role). 

Shirley

Presumed Dead 

Shirley Wells
http://www.shirleywells.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

anghenry wrote:

Hello!

A big thanks to Becke for hosting us!

My name is Angela Henry and my romantic suspense thriller, The Paris Secret, was released by Carina Press on January 17th.

Less than twenty-four hours after fleeing to Paris, Maya Sinclair is the prime suspect in a brutal murder—and targeted by the real killer. When she's viciously attacked in the gardens of Versailles, Maya barely escapes with her life thanks to sexy French journalist Simon Girard.

Simon has been investigating the mysterious death of his brother, an art forger with ties to the woman Maya is suspected of killing. Still healing from heartbreak of his own, Simon reluctantly joins forces with Maya, who has awakened feelings within him he thought long dead.

Their search for answers uncovers the existence of a secret society, and puts them on a quest to find a missing crucifix rumored to hold the key to everlasting life. Together, Maya and Simon race through Paris one step ahead of a killer who will do anything to ensure some secrets remain buried forever...

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Author Website

The Paris Secret Blog

The Paris Secret Book Trailer

Hi Angela - Thanks so much for joining us! Your book sounds right up my alley!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Shirley_Wells wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I'll look out for Castle, Becke.

We have old favourites Lewis (the Morse spin-off) and Midsomer Murders in the UK but a lot, like The Wire come from the US. Recently we've had some great new shows including Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch playing the great detective in 21st century Britain) which I think travelled across the pond. I loved it. We also had 13 terrific episodes of Wallander (the Swedish version with English subtitles) and Luther (starring Idris Elba in the title role). 

Shirley

Presumed Dead 

Surprisingly, we have all the shows you mentioned. Is there a new season of Foyle's War? I am addicted to that show! I'm also hooked on Inspector Lewis - I like it better than Inspector Morse!

Author
Marcelle_Dube
0 Kudos

This is fun!

I try to use all of them, but the one I find most useful and most difficult to convey, is the sense of smell.

I recently read Louise Penny's Bury Your Dead. It instantly became a favourite and I've been pushing it on friends and relations ever since!

I *love* Castle, but then I've been a fan of Nathan Fillion's since his Firefly days. Ahem. He *is* Canadian, you know. Sorry, Gerard.

According to my children, I am obsessed with mystery shows. Besides Castle, I watch NCIS, CSI and CSI New York, Bones and I've recently started watching George Gently.

No idea, but I'd have to interview all the actors, of course. :smileywink:

A pantser, definitely. I keep trying to outline and plot ahead of time but it doesn't work for me.

Well, it's never the one I am currently writing. I am always convinced that the work in progress is a dismal failure and proof that I should stop writing forever. I get over it (that's how addictions work). I write in fantasy and mystery. In the mystery genre, I'm quite fond of Bitter Hope. It's set in Morroco and the Yukon and was a lot of fun to write. In fantasy, I very much like Obeah, a story set in a near future North where most of the population has been killed off by a perfect storm of pandemics. Definitely fun to write!

I read a lot of science fiction, believe it or not. I'm not sure how I went from SF to writing fantasy and mystery, but there seems to be a correlation between SF and mystery, as I've read a number of writers who started off in SF and moved to mystery, Dana Stabenow and Nicola Griffith, for example.

Thanks for asking, Becke.

Marcelle Dubé
ON HER TRAIL - Carina Press
www.marcelledube.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Marcelle -

Like you, I recently discovered Louise Penny. I went on a binge and read all of her books earlier this month and over the holidays. They are amazingly good!

Tell me about GEORGE GENTLY - I'm not familiar with that one.

Author
Marcelle_Dube
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Marcelle -

Like you, I recently discovered Louise Penny. I went on a binge and read all of her books earlier this month and over the holidays. They are amazingly good!

Tell me about GEORGE GENTLY - I'm not familiar with that one.

According to BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00clbwj), George Gently is an old-school police detective in the '60s. The bit of backstory I've picked up indicates that his wife was murdered by a gangster and he's having trouble dealing with the grief and the new police. The show is set in Northumberland and County Durham, and is based on the books by Alan Hunter. I've only seen a few episodes but am quite taken by the doggedness, fairness and quiet grief portrayed by the actor.

As for Louise Penny, she's Canadian, you know. :smileyhappy:

Marcelle Dubé
ON HER TRAIL - Carina Press
www.marcelledube.com