Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

CARLA NEGGERS - Agatha Christie by the Woodstove

[ Edited ]

About Carla

CARLA NEGGERS started writing at a young age, when she'd grab a pad and pen and climb a tree to spin stories. She grew up in rural western Massachusetts with six brothers and sisters and assorted dogs, cats, pigs, chickens, sheep, guinea pigs and one cow. Her father was a Dutch sailor who immigrated to the U.S. after World War II, and her mother hails from the Florida Panhandle. They packed up the car with all their belongings just before Carla, their third child, was born, and headed north to start a new life.

Carla's motherdad

After graduating magna cum laude from Boston University and a brief stint as an arts and entertainment writer, Carla turned to writing fiction full-time. She has written more than 50 novels -more than a dozen of them New York Times bestsellers-and has earned raves from critics and readers alike for her unique blend of fast-paced action, suspense and romance.

In addition to writing, Carla enjoys travel, karate, hiking and kayaking. She and her husband have two children and live in Vermont, where they recently renovated their mountain house not far from picturesque Quechee Gorge.

COLD DAWN

In Stores October 26, 2010

A NEW DAY. A NEW DANGER.

Cold Dawn 

Cold Dawn

It's a new day in Black Falls. The small Vermont town finally feels safe again—until search-and-rescue expert Rose Cameron discovers a body, burnt almost beyond recognition. Almost. Rose is certain that she knows the victim's identity...and that his death was no accident.

Nick Martini also suspects an arsonist's deliberate hand. Another fire killed an arson investigator in California months ago. Now the rugged smoke jumper is determined to follow the killer's trail...even if it leads straight to Rose. Nick and Rose haven't seen each other since they shared a single night of blind passion, but they can't let memories and unhealed wounds get in the way of their common goal—stopping a merciless killer from taking aim straight at the heart of Black Falls.

Read Excerpt . . .

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: CARLA NEGGERS - Agatha Christie by the Woodstove

Agatha Christie by the Woodstove

by 

Carla Neggers

These days most of us discovered Agatha Christie late in her career or after her death. By the time I started reading her books, she'd written dozens and was well on in years. That was an accomplishment to celebrate. She was a prolific, talented writer who delighted readers all over the world over a long career. 

I didn't know anything else about her. She was old, British and had written a lot of books. Nowadays I suppose it'd be different: she'd be tweeting and have a blog and a Facebook page! 

I didn't walk into my hometown library, where I got most of the books I read growing up, and ask for Agatha Christie, nor did I stumble on one of her books and get hooked. Instead, my mother took a chance and gave me a stack of eight or ten Agatha Christie paperbacks for Christmas one year. I read them one after another in front of the woodstove fire. There are very few authors whose books I could read one after another -- including authors I love. With Agatha Christie, I could, for whatever reason. 

Except for a few exceptions, I generally don't remember her clever plot twists, although I noticed them at the time. When I pick up a Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple I know I've read, sometimes I can remember "who did it" after a few pages but often I don't remember at all. Instead what I remember is the world Agatha Christie created in her fiction. It was so very different from the world I knew growing up in western New England, but it was also a peek into the past. As with Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels, I am especially drawn to Agatha Christie's earlier books for that reason. 

Winter's upon us, and we'll be firing up the woodstove again soon on our hilltop. Hm. Maybe I should get another stack of Agatha Christie novels and start reading her again, as if for the first time. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Carla - Thanks so much for a wonderful blog. I wish I had a woodstove to read by!

Who is your favorite Christie detective? What are your Top Ten Agatha Christie books?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Carla, love your work, thanks for the great blog article.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear your responses to Becke's quesion

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Carla, love your work, thanks for the great blog article.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear your responses to Becke's quesion

Deb - Carla is going to be checking in during the day, but she's in Ireland, where she's been hiking, so we might not hear from her until she gets back to her computer. I think she is five hours ahead of me (Eastern time zone), which would make it late afternoon there.

Author
Carla-Neggers
0 Kudos

Thanks for having me here, Becke! I don't have a favorite Agatha Christie detective and couldn't think of ten favorites. Isn't that odd? I guess when I was on my Agatha binge I was focused more on reading her books for the pure pleasure of reading. I just took them as they were and didn't think about favorites, critiquing, my own writing.

Hm. Now I want to reread some of them and see if I have distinct favorites!

Author
Carla-Neggers
0 Kudos

Thanks, Deb. As Becke mentioned, I'm in Ireland -- I had a nice peat fire going last night in the rain. I was writing, though, not reading. ;-) It's gorgeous right now. I'm off for a hike but will check in later on.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Carla-Neggers wrote:

Thanks, Deb. As Becke mentioned, I'm in Ireland -- I had a nice peat fire going last night in the rain. I was writing, though, not reading. ;-) It's gorgeous right now. I'm off for a hike but will check in later on.

Great Carla, and speaking of Ireland I loved how you described your scenes in The Angel which was based partly in Ireland. I love all your novels, but that one has a very special place in my heart. Enjoy your hiking and writing by peat fire. And thanks for checking in with us, are you doing research for a novel there or just enjoying the country?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Wonderful blog, Carla. I've always loved Agatha Christie, but by a woodstove fire on a cold blustery day sounds like heaven to me. I have read one of your books, Betrayals, and it was very good. Becke introduced me to your novels and thanks to her, I will buy another book of yours.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Carla-Neggers wrote:

Thanks for having me here, Becke! I don't have a favorite Agatha Christie detective and couldn't think of ten favorites. Isn't that odd? I guess when I was on my Agatha binge I was focused more on reading her books for the pure pleasure of reading. I just took them as they were and didn't think about favorites, critiquing, my own writing.

Hm. Now I want to reread some of them and see if I have distinct favorites!

I started reading Christie when I was 15 and have read some of them more times than I can count. I've read them all at least twice, except the Mary Westmacott books. I liked them all, but haven't gone back to reread them.

That's the only way I can narrow down my favorites - the ones I get the urge to read over and over again. There are one or two I've only read once (THE BIG FOUR isn't a favorite, although it's worth a read just to see how much better her other books are), and there are a few -- NEMESIS, CARDS ON THE TABLE, MRS. MCGINTY'S DEAD, MURDER IS EASY - that I've read so many times, I've lost count.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Carla-Neggers wrote:

I bet we'll smell that peat fire when we read the book you were working on!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Carla-Neggers wrote:

Great Carla, and speaking of Ireland I loved how you described your scenes in The Angel which was based partly in Ireland. I love all your novels, but that one has a very special place in my heart. Enjoy your hiking and writing by peat fire. And thanks for checking in with us, are you doing research for a novel there or just enjoying the country?

THE ANGEL is a favorite of a lot of people - it's a fabulous story! Carla, do you have a personal favorite of your own books? Which is the most popular with readers?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Carla, I enjoyed reading your blog very much. I also like the idea of nestling down on a winter's day, in front  of a wood stove, or fireplace, and reading lots of Agatha Christie books. Don't know that I would want to read The Mousetrap if I were snowed in, though! Brrrrr!

Sorry, that shiver was more theatrics than reality for me now, as I live in Phoenix, Arizona, "The Valley of the Sun.." It was over 100 here yesterday, and looks to be the same today. So for me, reading Agatha's books now, takes me to a time and place that is cooler, if a lot  more humid, than what I experience here. How's Ireland compared to Vermont, by the way? For some reason, the thought of a place that is cool and green is really appealing to me today!:smileywink:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Carla, I enjoyed reading your blog very much. I also like the idea of nestling down on a winter's day, in front  of a wood stove, or fireplace, and reading lots of Agatha Christie books. Don't know that I would want to read The Mousetrap if I were snowed in, though! Brrrrr!

Sorry, that shiver was more theatrics than reality for me now, as I live in Phoenix, Arizona, "The Valley of the Sun.." It was over 100 here yesterday, and looks to be the same today. So for me, reading Agatha's books now, takes me to a time and place that is cooler, if a lot  more humid, than what I experience here. How's Ireland compared to Vermont, by the way? For some reason, the thought of a place that is cool and green is really appealing to me today!:smileywink:

It's funny you should mention that - Agatha's books do take us from one extreme to another, weatherwise, don't they?

Contributor
RebeccaRingler
0 Kudos

Hi Carla - This blog has me eagerly awaiting Rose Cameron's story.  I know one of your books I have reread many times is Finding You.  It is a "Cozie" story as so many of the others are also. I love the descriptions of the scenery in all of your books & always know I will not be disappointed w/ the read.  Glad you are enjoying your time in Ireland.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

RebeccaRingler wrote:

Hi Carla - This blog has me eagerly awaiting Rose Cameron's story.  I know one of your books I have reread many times is Finding You.  It is a "Cozie" story as so many of the others are also. I love the descriptions of the scenery in all of your books & always know I will not be disappointed w/ the read.  Glad you are enjoying your time in Ireland.

Rebecca - It's great to see you here! You're in good company - Carla has a LOT of fans here!

Contributor
RebeccaRingler
0 Kudos

Hi Becke - I should have said Hi to you, too!  I always feel like I am in good company if I visit here!  The internet is a great way to communicate!

Author
Carla-Neggers
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the great comments! I'm just in from a hike and a glass of wine at the lovely Park Hotel in Kenmare. I'm working on a fun new book. I'll be talking more about it soon. I'm really excited about COLD DAWN. I loved writing this book -- it just came out in a 'whoosh,' perhaps because it's the third in the series and had a lot of 'simmer' time. I'd love to know more about how Agatha Christie worked!

MOUSETRAP...definitely one of my favorites! And I love the atmosphere of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. Clearly two of Christie's most popular books, too.

Rebecca, I think it's in FINDING YOU that I describe kids rolling pumpkins down the hills -- that really happens in Vermont! LOL. ;-)

Thanks again!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

RebeccaRingler wrote:

Hi Becke - I should have said Hi to you, too!  I always feel like I am in good company if I visit here!  The internet is a great way to communicate!

True, but I'm glad I got to meet you in person, too!