Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Calling All Cat Loving Mystery Readers

Author Mary Kennedy has a great column in USA Today:

Mary Kennedy recs some purrfect mysteries starring cats

http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2012/11/15/recommended-mary-kennedy-talk-radio-mysterie...

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Calling All Cat Loving Mystery Readers

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Wow. What a great selection of mystery books featuring cats, becke. You and Mary have made quite an impressive list. Here's a few more to add to the list:

Copycat Killing (Magical Cats Series #3)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Also, the Beatrix Potter mystery series by Susan Wittig Albert features some cats promintently, lkie Crumpet and Felicia Frummety, and Max the Manx makes an appearance on one of the covers:

The Tale of Briar Bank (Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter Series #5)  

The Tale of Applebeck Orchard (Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter Series #6)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Oooops, sorry, I left out Tabitha Twitchit. Whatta-Mistak-a to-Maka!:catembarrassed: If you click on the link to Applebeck Orchard, you can see a couple of the other cats observing Max and the ferret from the fence.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Just got back from the library, and by serendiptity, I found this book on the shelves and had to check it out:

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (Dixie Hemingway Series #1)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos
Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Becke, a big thank-you for featuring my article, I'm going to read all the comments right now! Sorry I've been MIA for so long, I've been buried under a pile of work.

I am thrilled to see there are so many cat lovers on the loop...I hope to write more on this subject, because I see there are way more "cat mysteries" out there. I like the idea that some of the cats featured are "magical" cats who can broadcast their thoughts, some are handsome tabbies who doze in a sunny spot, and some are thoughtful types who are good judges of character.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Fricka and Becke, you have added some terrific choices!! I see I have my work cut out for me. This is a huge topic and deserves more articles!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

mary_kennedy wrote:

Becke, a big thank-you for featuring my article, I'm going to read all the comments right now! Sorry I've been MIA for so long, I've been buried under a pile of work.

I am thrilled to see there are so many cat lovers on the loop...I hope to write more on this subject, because I see there are way more "cat mysteries" out there. I like the idea that some of the cats featured are "magical" cats who can broadcast their thoughts, some are handsome tabbies who doze in a sunny spot, and some are thoughtful types who are good judges of character.

Always great to see you here, Mary! I'm glad you weren't hit too bad by Hurricane Sandy - I was worried about you! 

I know you are quite a cat lover - would you like to introduce your cats to us? (If you'd like me to post pictures, just email them to me (or email links to pictures you have online already) and I'll put them up.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I definitely will be participating in this discussion, but I need to find a time when I can concentrate, read, think, and go through my own library.  I have read cat mysteries, and am pretty sure I have some more on my TBR shelf.

In the meantime, here are my own two cats:

DSCN0443.jpg

Romeo, looking contemplative,

DSCN0470.jpg

and (Kublai) Khan, rolling around on the floor and rubbing his face on a catnip pillow.

I can't believe it's been a little over five years since I adopted them!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

They're beautiful, Dulcinea!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

They're beautiful, Dulcinea!

They really are beautiful cats, dulcinea3. I just noticed that they are sort of color counterparts to each other. Romeo, for example, has those lovely white socks on his legs,which contrast nicely with his darker grey tabby markings, while Kublai Khan has the dark stocking marks typical of the Siamese.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Also, if you can stand the addtion of one more mystery featuring cats, here's one:

Death Drops  

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Boy, I've read and reread all of Lillian Jackson Braun's books. It's a shame she passed on. I saw her once at a cat show here in NC. She was small and frail looking then but she had a lot of fans who came to have their books signed.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here are Eadie's cats:

Blackberry.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Darn, I've been trying to post Eadie's second picture but it won't load. Sorry, Eadie!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Not sure if this will work - can you see these images?

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke and Fricka!  They're my babies!  Fricka, Khan is a bluepoint Siamese, which I find interesting since I have had a couple of sealpoints in the past.  I love Romeo's front feet, because only the toes are white, and he actually has what I think is called a tortoise-shell pattern, instead of tabby, which is also a first for me.  When I got him, he was darker, and almost all black and gray, but as he has grown, the brown and tan have come out more and more.

Eadie, I love black cats!  I've never had one, though.  When I was a kid, I was going to have one from a neighbor's litter, but then my family moved before he (or she?  can't remember) was old enough.  I was going to name it Midnight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia