Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Calling All Cat Loving Mystery Readers

I've had pure white cats but never a pure black one. My daughter's cat, Mouse, is a gorgeous velvety black, though. This is Mouse and Sammy, two of her three cats:

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Eadie, your black cat looks like my Sheba. Same eyes and the patina black shine.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

Here are Eadie's cats:

Here are my other cats:

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Awww, your cats are really cute, eadie. That one in the top picture on the page with the two cats reminds me of that guy in the band Los Lobos--the front man with the funny looking black goatee!

You haven't mentioned what your cat names are, though.

becke, couldn't see much of the face of your daughter's cat Mouse(what a name for a cat! Maybe he was hiding his face in shame????:catlol:) Sammy looks as though he does not like having his picture taken, either--or is that his usual expression?

I also like black cats. We once had a female tabby, and out of one of her litters, there were two all black males. I wanted desperately to keep one of them, but as I was getting ready to go off to grad school, and my parents were going to be keeping my peke-a-poo for me, the decision was made to find good homes for all the kittens, which we did.

eadie, that is a great picture of your black cat, and Maxcat, if your cat looks just like that, you also have a handsome fellow to keep you on your toes!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

My aplogies to Maxcat and Sheba, whom I'm guessing is a female. Sorry about calling you a "fellow," Sheba! Mea Culpa!:catembarrassed:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

My daughter named the black cat Blackberry but I call him Blackie. She nursed him back to good health. He was brought into the vets when she was a vet tech. He was a kitten found out in the rain and was dying, so she had to adopt him.

The other two cats are brothers and my daughter got them at a farm. The black/white cat is named Mulchbox because he liked to go to the bathroom in the mulch. But we call him Mulchy. The grey/white cat is named Mr. Zebra but we call him Zeebee.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

So, Blackie, Mulchy, and Zeebee, eadie? Cute names, and easy to remember.

I'm stll hoping one day maybe I'll own a peke-faced persian, orange color, so I can call him/her, "Crookshanks". :catlol:

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

So, Blackie, Mulchy, and Zeebee, eadie? Cute names, and easy to remember.

I'm stll hoping one day maybe I'll own a peke-faced persian, orange color, so I can call him/her, "Crookshanks". :catlol:

That's a cute name too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Awww, your cats are really cute, eadie. That one in the top picture on the page with the two cats reminds me of that guy in the band Los Lobos--the front man with the funny looking black goatee!

You haven't mentioned what your cat names are, though.

becke, couldn't see much of the face of your daughter's cat Mouse(what a name for a cat! Maybe he was hiding his face in shame????:catlol:) Sammy looks as though he does not like having his picture taken, either--or is that his usual expression?

I also like black cats. We once had a female tabby, and out of one of her litters, there were two all black males. I wanted desperately to keep one of them, but as I was getting ready to go off to grad school, and my parents were going to be keeping my peke-a-poo for me, the decision was made to find good homes for all the kittens, which we did.

eadie, that is a great picture of your black cat, and Maxcat, if your cat looks just like that, you also have a handsome fellow to keep you on your toes!

You can see a lot more pictures of Sammy and Mouse here: 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2250977670826.2104332.1139786050&type=3

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke, I clicked on that link, but thought I should note that the page was not available to me. I'm not "on" facebook, so I was not able to see the pics.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

P.S. Crookshanks is the name of the cat owned by Hermione Granger, in the Harry Potter books. He plays an essential part of the plot in the third HP book,  The Prisoner of Azkaban.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka wrote:

becke, I clicked on that link, but thought I should note that the page was not available to me. I'm not "on" facebook, so I was not able to see the pics.

I am on Facebook, but I got the following:

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

But I love all the pictures of people's cats that have been posted!  Keep 'em coming!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sorry, I'll upload a couple.

sleepy sammy.jpg
mouse and sammy.jpg
mouse and sammy in sink.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

And here is my cat, Casper:

November Pictures 2012 082.jpg
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Awwww, those pictures of Mouse and Sammy are really cute, becke. I especially like the one where Sammy is in the bathroom sink, and Mouse is keeping him company!

Caspar looks a wee bit disgruntled, though--does he just not like having his picture taken, or is he still getting used to his new home in Chicago? Maybe if you give him a few turkey treats tomorrow, he'll decide the new place is A-OK! :catwink:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Awwww, those pictures of Mouse and Sammy are really cute, becke. I especially like the one where Sammy is in the bathroom sink, and Mouse is keeping him company!

Caspar looks a wee bit disgruntled, though--does he just not like having his picture taken, or is he still getting used to his new home in Chicago? Maybe if you give him a few turkey treats tomorrow, he'll decide the new place is A-OK! :catwink:

Casper is just kind of a grumpy old man. He's plenty happy when I give him cat treats, though!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Cat Fear No Evil (Joe Grey Series #9)  The Black Cat (Richard Jury Series #22)  Seeing a Large Cat (Amelia Peabody Series #9)  Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand Series #10)  A Cat with the Blues  Cat on a Blue Monday (Midnight Louie Series #3)  

Fricka wrote:

Oooops, sorry, I left out Tabitha Twitchit. Whatta-Mistak-a to-Maka!:catembarrassed: If you click on the link to Applebeck Orchard, you can see a couple of the other cats observing Max and the ferret from the fence.

Fricka, I see you are quoting one of my favorite Britcoms, "Allo, Allo"!  I love that series!  I do prefer the first actor who played the Italian officer to the second; the first was rather handsome, while the second looked like a cartoon character (which may actually be more appropriate to the series).

I second The Cat Who... series by Lilian Jackson Braun, and also the Beatrix Potter mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert, which is very charming, and I love the way she uses the animals.

I have one of the Joe Grey series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy, Cat Fear No Evil.  It is very interesting, as Joe and his pals are apparently a separate species of cats, with the ability to speak, and there are also some people who can turn into cats.

The Black Cat, by Martha Grimes, features a pub of that name (her books are all named after pubs), but there are also a couple of black cats and a case of mistaken identity involving them that figure in the mystery.

Amelia Peabody and her family have several Egyptian cats over the course of the series by Elizabeth Peters, with names like Bast and Hathor, but I can't recall if they ever play a part in the mysteries.

Also not major characters, but Annie and Max Darling have two cats in the Death on Demand series by Carolyn Hart, and for a while, they were featured on the cover illustrations.  Irritable, demanding black Agatha lives in the bookstore, while fluffy white Dorothy L. lives with the Darlings, and greatly favors Max.

The last two books I listed are on my TBR shelf.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Agatha Christie's book A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED features a stately cat named Tiglath Pileser.

A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple Series)