Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Celebrating Canadian Mystery Writers

There were a LOT of mystery writers at Malice Domestic - it seemed like every other person I met was from Canada. I'm starting this thread so our Canadian friends have a place to stop in and introduce themselves. 

If you're a Canadian mystery writer, no need to wait for a special invitation! Click "Add Product" to post your book links. Tell us something about you!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Celebrating Canadian Mystery Writers

[ Edited ]

Here's the link for Crime Writers of Canada: http://www.crimewriterscanada.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

2012 Arthur Ellis Awards

Crime Writers of Canada is proud to announce...
The Arthur Ellis Awards Shortlists

Best Crime Novel
A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny, St. Martin’s Press
Before the Poison by Peter Robinson, McClelland and Stewart
I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley, Doubleday Canada
I'll See you in My Dreams by William Deverell, McClelland and Stewart
The Guilty Plea by Robert Rotenberg, Simon&Schuster

Best First Novel
The Man Who Killed by Fraser Nixon, Douglas & McIntrye
The Survivor by Sean Slater, Simon&Schuster
The Water Rat of Wanchai by Ian Hamilton, House of Anansi Press Inc.
Tight Corner by Roger White, BPS Books
Watching Jeopardy by Norm Foster, XLibris

Best Crime Book in French
La chorale du diable by Martin Michaud, Les Editions Guélette
Pwazon by Diane Vincent, Editors Triptyque
Pour Ne Pas Mourir ce soir by Guillaume Lapierre-Desnoyers, Lévesque Éditeur

Best Juvenile or Young Adult Crime Book
Blink & Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones, Candlewick Press
Charlie's Key by Rob Mills, Orca Book Publishers
Empire of Ruins by Arthur Slade, HarperCollins Publishers
Held by Edeet Ravel, Annick Press
Missing by Becky Citra, Orca Book Publishers

Best Crime Nonfiction
A Season in Hell by  Robert Fowler, Harper Collins 
Hot Art: Chasing Thieves and Detectives Through the Secret World of Stolen Artby Joshua Knelman, Douglas& McIntyre
The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by Steven Laffoley, Pottersfield 
The Pirates of Somalia by Jay Bahader, Harper Collins 
The Weasel: A Double Life in the Mob by Adrian Humphreys, Wiley

Best Crime Short Story
A New Pair of Pants by Jas. R. Petrin, Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine
Beer Money by Shane Nelson, Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
The Girl with the Golden Hair by Scott Mackay, Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
The Perfect Mark by Melodie Campbell, Flash Fiction Magazine
What Kelly Did by Catherine Astolfo, North Word Magazine

Best Unpublished First Novel - “Unhanged Arthur”
Gunning for Bear by Madeleine Harris-Callway
Last of the Independents by Sam Wiebe
Snake in the Snow by William Bonnell
The Rhymester by Valerie A. Drego
Too Far to Fall by Shane Sawyer  

Note for those who aren't familiar with the Arthur Ellis awards: These apply to crime fiction and, in one category, nonfiction, by Canadian citizens. For award guidelines, click here. And for past recipients, click here. The nominees list becomes an intriguing reading challenge -- climb out of one's own backyard and into a new set of perceptions. Award results for 2012 will be announced on May 31, in Toronto; tickets are still available ($80 each -- pretty good, considering!).
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Crime Month

May is Crime Month on Canada Writes

Get ready crime lovers, Canada Writes has partnered with the Crime Writers of Canada to present a whole 31 days of mystery, murder and mayhem. We’ve got lots in store for the crime writer (and reader) in you. And it all begins next Tuesday, May 1. 

featuredb-crimewriters.jpg
Crime Fiction Master Class with Louise Penny
We are happy to have one of our country’s brightest crime stars lead us in an online look on how it’s done. Look for a pro’s advice on how to write compelling work. 
The “How To” Guide with the Crime Writers of Canada
Our partner in this endeavour, the CWC have provided us with an impressive list of writing tips from their members. Find out more about research, plot, and writing memorable characters. 
The Page Turner Challenge
We will only reveal the details of our May challenge next week, but be sure to mark the dates in your calendar. The next public call for submissions will be from May 2 to 18. We will post daily picks throughout the month, and Louise Penny will pick a winner (with the help from the CWC). The prize is an iPad 2.
5-Minute Mysteries
We will also be publishing short, bone-chilling crime fiction from some of the Canada’s best crime writers. Look for original fiction by William Deverell, Gail Bowen, Peter Robinson and Mary Jane Maffini among others.
The Arthur Ellis Awards 
Bestowed every year by the CWC, the Arthur Ellis Awards recognize excellence in mystery and crime writing in Canada. This month you will be able to read excerpts from some of this year’s shortlisted works, as well as find out more about the people who wrote them.
It all starts next Tuesday on Canada Writes!
Author
snowloverVD
0 Kudos

In the Shadow of the Glacier  Thanks so much for talking about Canadian books, Becke. I enjoyed meeting you at Malice Domestic.  My name is Vicki Delany and I write all sorts of things. Standalone novels of Psychological suspense and the Constable Molly Smith series from Poisoned Pen Press - which has been optioned for TV! - and the Klondike Gold Rush series from the Canadian publisher, Dundurn. In the Shadow of the Glacier is the first book in the Constable Molly Smith series, a traditional police procedural set in the British Columbia interior.

Author
snowloverVD
0 Kudos

Gold Mountain  I also write the Klondike Gold Rush series set in Yukon Territory in 1898, during the great Klondike Gold Rush. Gold Digger is the first, then Gold Fever and Gold Mountain.

Author
snowloverVD
0 Kudos

To get things going, Anthony Bidulka and me, Vicki Delany, are the first two authors to provide a sneak preview of our upcoming novels for Canada Writes.  250 words that (hopefully) get a book off to a great start. http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/2012/05/celebrity-entries-anthony-bidulka-and-vicki-delany.html...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yay! I'm so glad you were able to sign in, Vicki! It was great to meet you at the Sisters in Crime breakfast. I really enjoyed your Gothics panel!

gothic panel.JPG
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

snowloverVD wrote:

In the Shadow of the Glacier  Thanks so much for talking about Canadian books, Becke. I enjoyed meeting you at Malice Domestic.  My name is Vicki Delany and I write all sorts of things. Standalone novels of Psychological suspense and the Constable Molly Smith series from Poisoned Pen Press - which has been optioned for TV! - and the Klondike Gold Rush series from the Canadian publisher, Dundurn. In the Shadow of the Glacier is the first book in the Constable Molly Smith series, a traditional police procedural set in the British Columbia interior.

Welcome Vicki:

Your Constable Molly Smith book looks very interesting to me. I just ordered IN THE SHADOW OF THE GLACIER. I checked out your other books too. I am also getting a copy of BURDEN OF MEMORY and WHITE OUT.

I have read all of Louise Penny's books and really love them. I have a lot of Peter Robinson's books also. Alan Bradley is a favorite too! Love Canadian authors! I have to get busy reading as my to-be-read pile is growing again.

Thanks for telling us about your books and keep on writing!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
snowloverVD
0 Kudos

Many thanks, Eadie.  I'm glad you were able to connect with us. 

Author
SherriT
0 Kudos

Canadian Mystery Writer

My name is Phyllis Smallman and I write the Sherri Travis mystery series which is set in Florida, where I spend 6 months of the year. This series was chosen by Good Morning America as one of six  for a summer read. Champagne for Buzzards the fourth book in the series.

"Smalllman...is at the top of her game in this fast-paced tale."  Globe and Mail

www.phyllissmallman.com

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Canadian Mystery Writer

SherriT wrote:

My name is Phyllis Smallman and I write the Sherri Travis mystery series which is set in Florida, where I spend 6 months of the year. This series was chosen by Good Morning America as one of six  for a summer read. Champagne for Buzzards the fourth book in the series.

"Smalllman...is at the top of her game in this fast-paced tale."  Globe and Mail

www.phyllissmallman.com

Champagne for Buzzards 

A Brewski for the Old Man 

Sex in a Sidecar 

A Brewski for the Old Man 

Margarita Nights      

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

ditto to what Eadie wrote. I, too have read all of Louise Penney's books, and also all of the Alan Bradley Flavia de Luce novels as well. Thanks, becke, for the list of the Canadian authors. For those of you Canadian Authors who have been posting here, I'm adding the titles of your books to my TBR list. Now if I could just figure out how to get more hours in the day so I could get more reading done!!!!!!:cattongue:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

ditto to what Eadie wrote. I, too have read all of Louise Penney's books, and also all of the Alan Bradley Flavia de Luce novels as well. Thanks, becke, for the list of the Canadian authors. For those of you Canadian Authors who have been posting here, I'm adding the titles of your books to my TBR list. Now if I could just figure out how to get more hours in the day so I could get more reading done!!!!!!:cattongue:

You and me both!

Author
snowloverVD
0 Kudos

Thanks, Frika.  We love to be noticed. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

snowloverVD wrote:

I'm glad to give your books the attention they deserve, Vicki. BTW, congrats on the exciting news that your Constable Molly Smith series has been optioned for TV! !

Please let us know about the details when they've been determined. I'd love to meet you if and when you come to the Phoenix area, so let me know the dates ahead of time and I'll be sure to be there!!!!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

This book was highly recommended by one of our featured authors, M. William Phelps:

Practical Jean  

Practical Jean

Overview

Jean Vale Horemarsh is content, for the most part, with the small-town life she's built: a semi-successful career as a ceramics artist, a close collection of women friends (aside from that terrible falling-out with Cheryl years ago), a comfortable marriage with a kind if unextraordinary man. But it is only in watching her mother go through the final devastating stages of cancer that Jean realizes her true calling. No one should have to suffer the indignities of aging and illness like her mother did—and she, Jean Horemarsh, will take it upon herself to give each of her friends one final, perfect moment . . . and then, one by one, kill them.

Of course, female friendships are quite complicated things, and Jean is soon to discover that her plan isn't as simple as she initially believed it to be.

Author
snowloverVD
0 Kudos

Fricka, I am considering a trip to Poisoned Pen in September.  I'll be sure and let you know. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I read this for reviewlast year and loved it.  There is such a biting sense of humor to it. of course I love the movie, Serial Mom too.

becke_davis wrote:

This book was highly recommended by one of our featured authors, M. William Phelps:

Practical Jean  

Practical Jean

Overview

Jean Vale Horemarsh is content, for the most part, with the small-town life she's built: a semi-successful career as a ceramics artist, a close collection of women friends (aside from that terrible falling-out with Cheryl years ago), a comfortable marriage with a kind if unextraordinary man. But it is only in watching her mother go through the final devastating stages of cancer that Jean realizes her true calling. No one should have to suffer the indignities of aging and illness like her mother did—and she, Jean Horemarsh, will take it upon herself to give each of her friends one final, perfect moment . . . and then, one by one, kill them.

Of course, female friendships are quite complicated things, and Jean is soon to discover that her plan isn't as simple as she initially believed it to be.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
REDonald
0 Kudos

Anyway, I'm a new mystery writer.  New, in that I just published the first two books in my mystery series last fall, although I finished the first version of SLOW CURVE ON THE COQUIHALLA in 1995.  I was a member of Crime Writers of Canada, went to the Surrey Writers' Conference several times, attended Bouchercons in Seattle and Monterrey, and the Sisters in Crime conference in Houston.  I took a workshop in Corte Madera, California in 1998 with Elizabeth George, learned a great deal, and revised my first novel extensively, plus completed my second novel, ICE ON THE GRAPEVINE.  Then life got in the way, as it tends to do.  Job, farm, horses ... so, newly published is probably a better description.

I write the type of series I like the best to read: male protaganist, strong female supporting characters, complex plots, character drive subplots, several suspects, keep you guessing to the end.  Hopefully, I'm succeeding.  My first two novels (below) are available as ebooks and will soon be published as trade paperbacks, and I hope that B&N will carry them when they are.  I'm working on a third called SEA TO SKY set mostly in the resort town of Whistler, BC, and plan to have the digital version released late this year.

Thanks for inviting me to tell you about my books!

Slow Curve on the Coquihalla

Ice on the Grapevine

R.E. Donald, author of the Hunter Rayne highway mystery series