becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Celebrating Canadian Mystery Writers

Congratulations on finding our Canadian authors thread, Ruth! I know this isn't the easiest site in the world to navigate, but you're doing great!

Author
LouAllin
0 Kudos

Contingency Plan 

That Dog Won't Hunt 

She Felt No Pain 

Memories Are Murder    

Contributor
REDonald
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke!  Incidentally, my second novel, ICE ON THE GRAPEVINE, is a finalist for a 2012 Global Ebook Award in the Mystery category.  It's currently only available as an ebook, but will be out in paperback soon.  The awards ceremony take place in Santa Barbara, Calif. on August 18th and I'm really looking forward to it, whether or not my novel wins.

My first novel, SLOW CURVE ON THE COQUIHALLA, is out in paperback as well as in a digital edition.  Thanks to those who've reviewed it on B&N, if you're here on the forum!

R.E. Donald, author of the Hunter Rayne highway mystery series
becke_davis
0 Kudos

REDonald wrote:
Thanks, Becke!  Incidentally, my second novel, ICE ON THE GRAPEVINE, is a finalist for a 2012 Global Ebook Award in the Mystery category.  It's currently only available as an ebook, but will be out in paperback soon.  The awards ceremony take place in Santa Barbara, Calif. on August 18th and I'm really looking forward to it, whether or not my novel wins.

My first novel, SLOW CURVE ON THE COQUIHALLA, is out in paperback as well as in a digital edition.  Thanks to those who've reviewed it on B&N, if you're here on the forum!

Congratulations and good luck!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

ICE ON THE GRAPEVINE looks very interesting - I will have to check it out!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
REDonald
0 Kudos

Just an update on the Global Ebook Awards.  My traditional mystery novel, Ice on the Grapevine, didn't win, but I had a great time and met some interesting people.  My sister from La Quinta met me there and we enjoyed some of Santa Barbara's sights, food and wine, and ... what else? ... shopping!

I'm starting to get some of the judges' reviews (unfortunately, not on B&N) and I'm very pleased with what they have to say.

BTW, two of the authors who influenced me when I started writing my series were Elizabeth George and Martha Grimes.  I liked the style of their novels - male detective with strong female supporting characters, complex emotional lives, a touch of humor (in the case of Martha), character-driven subplots, not a lot of graphic violence - and I even borrowed Martha's strategy for titles, except instead of English pubs, my novels are named after North American highways.  Elizabeth has departed from her earlier style of mystery (I've found the last couple quite depressing), but I admired her earlier novels and did a mystery writing workshop with her in the late '90s.  It was very helpful.

Well, back to work on my next novel in the series.  I love to get feedback, especially if any of you have read 'Ice on the Grapevine'.  It helps me refine my craft for the next one.

Ice on the Grapevine  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

REDonald wrote:

Just an update on the Global Ebook Awards.  My traditional mystery novel, Ice on the Grapevine, didn't win, but I had a great time and met some interesting people.  My sister from La Quinta met me there and we enjoyed some of Santa Barbara's sights, food and wine, and ... what else? ... shopping!

I'm starting to get some of the judges' reviews (unfortunately, not on B&N) and I'm very pleased with what they have to say.

BTW, two of the authors who influenced me when I started writing my series were Elizabeth George and Martha Grimes.  I liked the style of their novels - male detective with strong female supporting characters, complex emotional lives, a touch of humor (in the case of Martha), character-driven subplots, not a lot of graphic violence - and I even borrowed Martha's strategy for titles, except instead of English pubs, my novels are named after North American highways.  Elizabeth has departed from her earlier style of mystery (I've found the last couple quite depressing), but I admired her earlier novels and did a mystery writing workshop with her in the late '90s.  It was very helpful.

Well, back to work on my next novel in the series.  I love to get feedback, especially if any of you have read 'Ice on the Grapevine'.  It helps me refine my craft for the next one.

Ice on the Grapevine  

Isn't funny how Martha Grimes and Elizabeth George write such British books when both of them are American?

Contributor
REDonald
0 Kudos

Elizabeth said something to the effect that she had been reading mysteries by British authors (Dorothy Sayers, PD James, Ruth Rendell, I suspect) and thought that to write a "proper" mystery, it had to be set in England.  From what I understand, she spends much of her time there now.  I do like British mysteries, but then I also like American mysteries.  Presumably, a Canadian mystery would be somewhere in the middle. ;->