Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Charlaine Harris

Would anyone be interested in discussing Charlaine's mystery Sweet and Deadly that has just been rereleased this month or any of her books. This book is one of two that were not written as a series. I have been a big fan of her books for years. I just started this one yesterday so I'm not very far but would love to talk about it and her if people are interested.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Charlaine Harris

I love any & all of Charlaine Harris' books. Have you ever read her Shakespeare series? Very good. I've also read one of the Aurora Teagarden series (it's the only one I've been able to locate so far), and it was also very good.

I read Sweet & Deadly a couple of weeks ago & would be happy to discuss it to you. Since you're still reading it, you can set the pace & post accordingly.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love the Shakespeare series but haven't read the "undead" ones. I'm not sure they are something I would like.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Sweet and Deadly is not one of the Sookie Stackhouse books but if they don't appeal to you why don't you try on of the Harper Connelly books starting wirh Grave Suprise. It is more a traditional mystery.

So far I find myself being able to relate to the Heroine Catherine because any of us could find ourselves a side victim for a family member that gets murdered and then finds another person who has been murdered. That is as far as I have been able to get but hopefully will get a lot more read today.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

The undead series is a lot of fun too. There are vampires, werewolves, & other supernatural beings. Sookie herself is human, but with physic abilities. There's always some mystery to solve, and the characters are well developed. If you're up to it, give it a try. I'm about to start the first Harper Connelly one this weekend.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I love the Sookie Stackhouse series and have them all and am having a hard time waiting till next month for the new one to come out. The one thing that is making it bearable is Sweet and Deadly by Charlaine and that I can reread the others. I'm sure you'll enjoy Harper Connelly. I know that I do but then I like all her heroines that I have read so far. In fact I like how she seemed to weave the Bards into one of he Sookie stories. One dective investigating another sort of.

I guess in a way we can make this a general discussion of all of Charlaine's books if you want. I don;t need to stick to one of her books. It was just getting the new one that started me thinking about discussing he books.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I agree. I thought that was neat when the Bards came to interview Sookie. I can't wait for her next one either. I keep wondering who (or what?) Sookie is going to end up with. I love all the characters in her books, though I wasn't too crazy about Quinn. Have you read the first chapter of her new book?

Nelsmom wrote:
I love the Sookie Stackhouse series and have them all and am having a hard time waiting till next month for the new one to come out. The one thing that is making it bearable is Sweet and Deadly by Charlaine and that I can reread the others. I'm sure you'll enjoy Harper Connelly. I know that I do but then I like all her heroines that I have read so far. In fact I like how she seemed to weave the Bards into one of he Sookie stories. One dective investigating another sort of.

I guess in a way we can make this a general discussion of all of Charlaine's books if you want. I don;t need to stick to one of her books. It was just getting the new one that started me thinking about discussing he books.

Toni

Liz ♥ ♥

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
I agree. I thought that was neat when the Bards came to interview Sookie. I can't wait for her next one either. I keep wondering who (or what?) Sookie is going to end up with. I love all the characters in her books, though I wasn't too crazy about Quinn. Have you read the first chapter of her new book?

Nelsmom wrote:

Toni

Yes I read the first chapter and it has made me wonder if one of the "people" that makes her uneasy is going to be the one making the trouble or the one to rescue her. I finished Sweet and Deadly this afternoon and it left me wondering what happens next. I am glad that Catherine didn't get hurt but it left me hanging on a cliff. I wonder how others feel. I know it isn't part of a series but seems to be open for her to write another book using Catherine Linton as the "heroine".

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Could it be the start of a new series, eventually?

Nelsmom wrote:

Yes I read the first chapter and it has made me wonder if one of the "people" that makes her uneasy is going to be the one making the trouble or the one to rescue her. I finished Sweet and Deadly this afternoon and it left me wondering what happens next. I am glad that Catherine didn't get hurt but it left me hanging on a cliff. I wonder how others feel. I know it isn't part of a series but seems to be open for her to write another book using Catherine Linton as the "heroine".

Toni

Liz ♥ ♥

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I don't remember if I've seen the author Shirley Damsgaard mentioned here. I just picked up a book by her called Witch Way to Murder. It sounded interesting -- have any of you read her books?
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I don't remember if I've seen the author Shirley Damsgaard mentioned here. I just picked up a book by her called Witch Way to Murder. It sounded interesting -- have any of you read her books?

Haven't ever heard about her. Our local B&N is small and usually stocks only those authors that sell well. Once in a while they will get a new author but if they don't sell and get lots of requests then they don't carry them any more.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I've never read her myself. Let us know how the book is as I'm always looking for new authors!

becke_davis wrote:

Liz ♥ ♥

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Well, I haven't read it yet -- read a Lisa Jackson mystery last night, that my sister had recommended -- but I was looking at the dedication, etc. in the Witch book. The author has six kids, and it looks like her husband died pretty young. Now I am intrigued. Anyone who can find time to write books while raising six kids has my respect -- and awe!

I always read dedications. In my own books they are sort of a joke, I wasn't sure how many books I'd be writing so I pretty much squeezed all my friends and family into those dedications. I need to write more because I have more people I want to dedicate books to! So I am always fascinated by other author's dedication pages. Is that weird? (No, don't answer that!)
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I like to read the dedicatinons and acknowledgement's too and are we going to keep this just on Charlaine's books or do we want to expand it to include any authors and books people want to discuss. I am enjoying how ever people want it to go. I don't know how many people are fans of Tony Hillerman but two other authors that deal with Native American cultures as Margret Coel who bases her books on the Arapho culture, and David and Aimee Thurlo who also use the Navahoo culture. If anyone has any other authors that use Native American cultures I would be interested to know.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Hi Nelsmom and LizzieAnn,
I just purchased Sweet and Deadly by Charlaine Harris but haven't read it yet. When I do, I will post some comments here. I am currently reading Lisa Scottoline's Daddy's Girl and participating in that book club, but when I'm finished I'll read Sweet and Deadly next. It looks interesting.
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
Would anyone be interested in discussing Charlaine's mystery Sweet and Deadly that has just been rereleased this month or any of her books. This book is one of two that were not written as a series. I have been a big fan of her books for years. I just started this one yesterday so I'm not very far but would love to talk about it and her if people are interested.

Toni

I'm reading the 4th chapter of Sweet and Deadly and like it so far. I can identify with Catherine, the main character, who has lost both her parents, lives alone, is a quiet person, and spends a lot of time reading. I'm just at the point in the story where she realizes that her parents' car accident was no accident. Interesting plot so far.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Yes it was and I think she felt some anger that no one was taking her seriously. I guess that in a lot of respects that just reflects human nature. I know that if I was in her place I would be angry.

Let me know when you finish it because I don;t want to spoil it for you.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Contributor
maxine196404
0 Kudos

I know that this post was back in October, but I have read Shirley Damaasgard's books.

I've never been a real big mystery reader but I am a voracious reader and have had to broaden my reading genre... :-)

Shirley D is one of the newest authors that I've added to my list ... I like her books.
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
Sweet and Deadly is not one of the Sookie Stackhouse books but if they don't appeal to you why don't you try on of the Harper Connelly books starting wirh Grave Suprise. It is more a traditional mystery.

So far I find myself being able to relate to the Heroine Catherine because any of us could find ourselves a side victim for a family member that gets murdered and then finds another person who has been murdered. That is as far as I have been able to get but hopefully will get a lot more read today.

Toni

I have finished reading this book and I liked it. I was very surprised by the death of Tom, the reporter, near the end. On page 179, where the author was describing Tom walking across the lawn, and then the next line was "In six hours he would be dead", it kind of hit me with sadness, and I remember thinking, "Oh how awful!" and feeling a little grief almost as if Tom was an acquaintance of mine!

Chapter 12, and the conversation between Betty and Catherine was so well written that I felt as if I was in the same room with the characters! I like the character Betty. She seems to be a good person, honest, simple, and hard working, and concerned for Catherine's safety.

And the ending was exciting and surprising. Very suspenseful, when Catherine was alone in the house she rented to Tom. Some really good scenes in this book. I enjoyed it.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Donti wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Toni

I have finished reading this book and I liked it. I was very surprised by the death of Tom, the reporter, near the end. On page 179, where the author was describing Tom walking across the lawn, and then the next line was "In six hours he would be dead", it kind of hit me with sadness, and I remember thinking, "Oh how awful!" and feeling a little grief almost as if Tom was an acquaintance of mine!

Chapter 12, and the conversation between Betty and Catherine was so well written that I felt as if I was in the same room with the characters! I like the character Betty. She seems to be a good person, honest, simple, and hard working, and concerned for Catherine's safety.

And the ending was exciting and surprising. Very suspenseful, when Catherine was alone in the house she rented to Tom. Some really good scenes in this book. I enjoyed it.

I know what you mean and Charlaine has a way at least for me to be able to put myself into the story. Though I do admit this one was a little better that way. Catherine felt like a friend that you got to know and she included you in what happens. I like the way she also kept you guessing on what was going to happen and that she didn't have to bring in sex or bad language to make her book readab;e.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman