Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Christmas Mysteries

[ Edited ]
As the season is swiftly approaching, many of us will be looking for mysteries with a holiday theme. What are some of your favorite Christmas mysteries or Christmas anthologies?

Message Edited by becke_davis on 11-24-2007 08:28 PM
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Christmas Mysteries

Here are some of my all-time favorite Christmas mysteries.

HERCULE POIROT’S CHRISTMAS by Agatha Christie
Poirot has to solve the locked room murder of wealthy Simeon Lee surrounded by greedy relations during a Christmas party of fun and games.

E IS FOR EVIDENCE (Kinsey Milhone series) by Sue Grafton
Kinsey Milhone has an unexpected visit from her second ex-husband who deserted her. While she has an industrial arson investigation to solve during the Christmas crush.

COLD LIGHT (Charlie Resnick series) by John Harvey.
Detective Charlie Resnick hunts for a missing social worker during the holidays.

THE MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF (Richard Jury series) by Martha Grimes.
During the holiday, the affable, pragmatic Inspector Richard Jury investigates the murders of two strangers who are murdered in two local pubs of a quaint English village.

EIGHT BLACK HORSES (87th Precinct series) by Ed McBain.
The criminal mastermind, the Deaf Man, sends the 87th precinct cryptic warnings to coincide with the twelve days of Christmas

ICED by Carol Higgins Clark.
Regan Reilly investigates the kidnapping of ex-con Eben, a caretaker for the Aspen vacation home during a holiday vacation.

PAST REASON HATED (Alan Banks series) by Peter Robinson
Chief Inspector Alan Banks has to solve the vicious stabbing death of a young lesbian in a room illuminated by the light of a crackling fire and a Christmas tree.

HE STUPIDEST ANGEL by Christopher Moore
This little slice of perverse Christmas in Moore's latest satirical gem will cheer up even the most miserable Scrooge.

TIED UP IN TINSEL (Roderick Alleyn series) by Ngaio Marsh
The Christmas eve Pageant at Hilary Bill-Tasman's manor turns deadly when one of the players disappears into the snowy night, and the hired help turns out to be paroled murderers from the local prison.

A HIGHLAND CHRISTMAS ( Hamish MacBeth series) by MC Beaton
Hamish MacBeth solves the disappearance of an olderly womam’s cat and the theft of the town lights at Christman time.

Happy holiday reading!
IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
Here are some of my all-time favorite Christmas mysteries.

HERCULE POIROT’S CHRISTMAS by Agatha Christie
Poirot has to solve the locked room murder of wealthy Simeon Lee surrounded by greedy relations during a Christmas party of fun and games.

E IS FOR EVIDENCE (Kinsey Milhone series) by Sue Grafton
Kinsey Milhone has an unexpected visit from her second ex-husband who deserted her. While she has an industrial arson investigation to solve during the Christmas crush.

COLD LIGHT (Charlie Resnick series) by John Harvey.
Detective Charlie Resnick hunts for a missing social worker during the holidays.

THE MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF (Richard Jury series) by Martha Grimes.
During the holiday, the affable, pragmatic Inspector Richard Jury investigates the murders of two strangers who are murdered in two local pubs of a quaint English village.

EIGHT BLACK HORSES (87th Precinct series) by Ed McBain.
The criminal mastermind, the Deaf Man, sends the 87th precinct cryptic warnings to coincide with the twelve days of Christmas

ICED by Carol Higgins Clark.
Regan Reilly investigates the kidnapping of ex-con Eben, a caretaker for the Aspen vacation home during a holiday vacation.

PAST REASON HATED (Alan Banks series) by Peter Robinson
Chief Inspector Alan Banks has to solve the vicious stabbing death of a young lesbian in a room illuminated by the light of a crackling fire and a Christmas tree.

HE STUPIDEST ANGEL by Christopher Moore
This little slice of perverse Christmas in Moore's latest satirical gem will cheer up even the most miserable Scrooge.

TIED UP IN TINSEL (Roderick Alleyn series) by Ngaio Marsh
The Christmas eve Pageant at Hilary Bill-Tasman's manor turns deadly when one of the players disappears into the snowy night, and the hired help turns out to be paroled murderers from the local prison.

A HIGHLAND CHRISTMAS ( Hamish MacBeth series) by MC Beaton
Hamish MacBeth solves the disappearance of an olderly womam’s cat and the theft of the town lights at Christman time.

Happy holiday reading!
IBIS

Great list! I've read all but three of these, and one of them (the Christopher Moore book) is in my waiting-to-be-read pile. I'll have to think about this, because I have quite a few favorites. The Aunt Dimity that takes place at Christmastime (snow storms, etc.) is a good one, and I have several Christmas mystery anthologies I like. Even though I posted the question in the first place, I guess I've never really sat down and made a list of my holiday favorites. I'm making work for myself! I'd have to add The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie -- it's a play not a book, but it takes place in the middle of a snowstorm, and if it isn't exactly a Christmas story, all that snow makes me think of Christmas. The same with Christie's The Sittaford Mystery.
Frequent Contributor
melaniejackson
0 Kudos

My fave is Rest Ye Merry by Charlotte MacLeod.
www.melaniejackson.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

melaniejackson wrote:

I've read that one! Yes, that was a good one. There is at least one Ngaio Marsh that takes place over the holidays, too. I know that I liked it, but I'd have to go through all my copies to figure out which one it was.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

melaniejackson wrote:

I've read that one! Yes, that was a good one. There is at least one Ngaio Marsh that takes place over the holidays, too. I know that I liked it, but I'd have to go through all my copies to figure out which one it was.

After checking my bookcase, I found another by Charlotte MacLeod: Christmas Stalkings.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I was in a bookstore yesterday and noticed a LOT of new mysteries (and anthologies) with a Christmas theme. It's so hard to choose -- if you have read any of these recently published Christmas mysteries, please take a minute to let us know if it was any good. If you feel like posting a review, so much the better, but even if you just write a couple of words, I'd like to know your opinions and I'm sure the rest of us would, too.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

I like the ones by Mary & Carol Higgins Clark. Jo
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:

.Jo, that last book by Carol [co-authored by Mary], was here on B&N last Season. Besides myself, there was one other person to discuss her book, which was up for grabs as to whether to call it a discussion. I was at a loss as to what to add, or say about this book. Our moderator could not add, or help in this discussion, either. I think even she was at a loss for words.

I did not like the moderating, and formating, and I did not like the book, for various reasons. The other person loved the book, and it was all I could do to not feel sorry for the author during this discussion...it boiled down to not being a real discussion, just accolades that had to be given to Carol. I gave them. I will not slam an author, and stayed with it out of respect for her. It pained me. I don't know if it was my mood, or the fact that it was poorly written, or both.

These books are cute stories, but the co-authored ones can get messy, and yet so simplistic, it's hard to know who is doing what, to whom, because the characters are falling all over themselves.

Jo, I hope I haven't offended your taste in books. I've always loved Mary Higgins Clark, my favorite for many years. I do like some of Carols, and having Mary's characters join in her book, was something I was looking forward to. I know they actually wrote it together, this was discussed, but it wasn't one that I wanted to keep, after I read it. I donated it to our library.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Jo6353 wrote:

. Jo, I hope I haven't offended your taste in books. I've always loved Mary Higgins Clark, my favorite for many years. I do like some of Carols, and having Mary's characters join in her book, was something I was looking forward to. I know they actually wrote it together, this was discussed, but it wasn't one that I wanted to keep, after I read it. I donated it to our library.

Kathy, That must have been very awkward for all involved in that discussion group. I don't remember that discussion group but I'm glad that I never stumbled into it! Don't worry about offending my taste in books. In fact I agree with some of what you've said. However, my years ago, when I was in college, working and raising a family of 5 kids and a husband, I found that at the end of each semester I was usually so burned out that I took great pleasure in reading fluff. Since I always loved Christmas books I would read one or two at the end of the fall semester. The tradition has continued and I still read at least one Christmas book that doesn't force me to think too much.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Just for the Pleasure of reading, my lament

Jo, I'm glad I haven't offended you. I know what you mean about just wanting to read something for just the pleasure of it. It was definitely awkward being in that discussion. I worked harder on trying to maintain some sort of discussion going, when there was nothing to discuss....Generally, I don't ask authors about their life, or about how they write, etc. But you really do start getting creative, ugh! With Carol's book, I ended up burnt out on just trying to think about what to say, when I couldn't find a plot, or something to talk about! I am used to books that make me think, not me having to dream up something to think about! :smileyhappy: Carol was pleasant to talk to, but she didn't offer any help. It just came down to: How many ways can I praise this author! I had begged for help! No such luck.

Then there was Susan Isaacs - I couldn't wait to get in that discussion....my all time favorite writer.....I couldn't believe how lucky I felt to have her here! I had praised her writing, her books.....up one side, and down the other, when I found out she was joining us........Then I was sweating bullets after I found out that no one was joining in that discussion! I couldn't believe it! One-on-one....How intimidating is that? Why me? She ended up just fading away, to who knows where. I really felt bad about it....I felt responsible......again, no help from the moderator......The moderator is since gone. I mean, how can you discuss a story, when you have no one to discuss it with?

Now, what would you like to discuss about Janet's book? I love them all! I told Becke I can't remember the story! I read it too long ago....and too many Stephanie stories are running through my head at the moment! Kind of like those Sugar Plums!
Kathy S.

Kathy, That must have been very awkward for all involved in that discussion group. I don't remember that discussion group but I'm glad that I never stumbled into it! Don't worry about offending my taste in books. In fact I agree with some of what you've said. However, my years ago, when I was in college, working and raising a family of 5 kids and a husband, I found that at the end of each semester I was usually so burned out that I took great pleasure in reading fluff. Since I always loved Christmas books I would read one or two at the end of the fall semester. The tradition has continued and I still read at least one Christmas book that doesn't force me to think too much.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathy - Have you read anything by Mary Kay Andrews? You might like her. Savannah Blues, Savannah Breeze, Little Bitty Lies, Hissy Fit -- take your pick. They are funny but also cross genres between mystery and romance, too.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Now, what would you like to discuss about Janet's book? I love them all! I told Becke I can't remember the story! I read it too long ago....and too many Stephanie stories are running through my head at the moment! Kind of like those Sugar Plums!
Kathy S.

I love the Stephanie Plum 'number' series and the 'Full.' However the 'in between the numbers' books are a little out there and don't appeal that much to me (although I do read them.) As for the Barney series...I liked Metro Girl but wasn't too impressed with Motor Mouth. Jo
KathyS
0 Kudos

I saw the discussion with her. I'll give her a try.

becke_davis wrote:
Kathy - Have you read anything by Mary Kay Andrews? You might like her. Savannah Blues, Savannah Breeze, Little Bitty Lies, Hissy Fit -- take your pick. They are funny but also cross genres between mystery and romance, too.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Joe wrote: I love the Stephanie Plum 'number' series and the 'Full.' However the 'in between the numbers' books are a little out there and don't appeal that much to me (although I do read them.) As for the Barney series...I liked Metro Girl but wasn't too impressed with Motor Mouth. Jo

I know what you mean. It's like these characters can't live up to good ol Stephanie! :smileyhappy: The between-the-numbers are short and cute. I just ordered her new one, Plum Lucky, and I'm going to get a book plate for it. This one comes out in January.
FYI - Here's the address if you want a book plate: Enclose a self addressed, stamped envelope.

Evanovich Plum Lucky Plate
P.O. Box 5487
Hanover, NH 03755

Kathy S.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I like The Christmas Carol and any book with a holiday theme. Mary Higgins Clark comes out with one every so often and Debbie Macomber's Christmas books are short and sweet.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

maxcat wrote:
I like The Christmas Carol and any book with a holiday theme. Mary Higgins Clark comes out with one every so often and Debbie Macomber's Christmas books are short and sweet.

I bought Debbie Macomber's new Christmas book but haven't had a chance to read it yet -- and I'm already juggling about three books at a time this week. I don't normally do that, but I've been going back and forth between a traditional romance, a paranormal and a chick-lit type book. And now I also added a short story collection to the mix (Jennifer Weiner's new one).

I've been going through my books, digging out mysteries with a Christmas theme, like Hercule Poirot's Christmas and some mystery anthologies. There are so many new Christmas books in stores right now, in all different genres. Which are your favorites, if you've read any of them?

Message Edited by becke_davis on 12-09-2007 12:46 PM
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I love DM's haphazard angels. Jo
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi- Just finished "Kissing Christmas goodbye" by M.C. Beaton, one of the Agatha Raisin cozies. As usual, Agatha is up to her snooping and getting into mischief. The end with her Christmas dinner was hilarious.

Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
melaniejackson
0 Kudos

I also liked M C Beaton's Highland Christmas. It's Hamish MacBeth lite :-).
www.melaniejackson.com