Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
anneofgreengables
0 Kudos

Culinary Mysteries

I am new here on the board. I work at a B&N and love to bide my time by reading the book discussions. I thought it was hightime I got involved. I enjoyed reading the suggestions for cozy mysteries. My favorite type of books, so I thought I would ask what is everyone's favorite culinary mysteries?
Contributor
Jdup48
0 Kudos

Re: Culinary Mysteries

I really enjoy the culinary mysteries! My favorite writers are probably Diane Mott Davidson with Goldy Bear the caterer, Philip R. Craig who writes about J.W. Jackson who is an ex-cop and lover of good food, Joanne Pence whose character Angelina Amalfi is always working is some aspect with food, but can't seem to find her nitch, and Katherine Hall Page who writes about Faith Fairchild, a minister's wife who is also a caterer. I love the characters is these books and also enjoy the recipes. Another 2 I enjoy that are probably not considered to be culinary writers, are Mary Kay Andrews (aka Kathy Trochek) whose books are about characters in Savannah, Georgia and include some great recipes in addition to a lot of laughs and G. A. McKevett who writes about Savannah Reid, a private detective and southern food lover, who always talks about great food, especially desserts. I just got a couple of new culinary mystery books by Jerrilyn Farmer and Cleo Coyle.

I find these books to be relaxing and fun!
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel as if you've lost a friend.............Anonymous
Contributor
anneofgreengables
0 Kudos

I also love the Penn. Dutch Inn mysteries with Magdelen Yoder by Tamar Myers. Very very funny and great recipes
New User
Stella
0 Kudos

Hi all,
I love reading. About a year ago I began reading Charlaine Harris. I know her vampire stuff is sci/fi but bare with me. After I finished all her vampire stuff, which I loved, I started looking for some of her earlier examples of writing. That is how I was introduced to Aurora Teagarden. Such a cute character. To make a long story short I read all of Charlaine Harris's mysteries and was searching for something else to read. That is how I found Joanne Fluke and her Hannah Swensen Mysteries.
Hannah lives in a small town in Minnisota and owns a cookie store, of course, someone always seems to get murdered around her and Hannah helps the local police solve the case. Interspersed amongst the sluething are wonderful cookie, muffin, and pie recipes. If you like light well written mysteries and love to bake I wholeheartily reccommend this series.
My next author was recommended to me by a friend, Diane Mott Davidson. She has already been mentioned here and I have read all of her mysteries. I have cooked a few of her recipes, Monster Cinnamon Rolls for one. I like the setting, Colorado, and the characters but sometimes Goldie is too vaporous for my taste.
I have also read JoAnna Carl's, Chocolate mysteries, nice stories, good location, good character, unfortunately no recipes just chocolate facts.
Then came Nancy Fairbanks and her culinary mysteries with recipes. I like her character Carolyn Blue. If you choose to read this series begin with the first book
"Crime Brulee" and watch how the author develops Carolyn's character. The recipes are too complicated for my liking so I have not tried any of them.
I have read only one of the Pennsylvania Dutch mysteries by Tamar Myers. Her character Magdalena Yoder didn't appeal to me.
I have also read Sammi Carter's, Candy Shop Mysteries. There are only two in this series they were enjoyable but no recipes. Finally, I tried "Steamed", by Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant. A good read but only two in this series.
Then I ran out of appealing recipe mysteries. I am now reading Leslie Meier, Lucy Stone mysteries and Lyn Hamilton, Archaeological mysteries. If you like history try Lyn Hamilton. That's it. Happy reading.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Stella wrote:
Hi all,
I love reading. About a year ago I began reading Charlaine Harris. I know her vampire stuff is sci/fi but bare with me. After I finished all her vampire stuff, which I loved, I started looking for some of her earlier examples of writing. That is how I was introduced to Aurora Teagarden. Such a cute character. To make a long story short I read all of Charlaine Harris's mysteries and was searching for something else to read. That is how I found Joanne Fluke and her Hannah Swensen Mysteries.
Hannah lives in a small town in Minnisota and owns a cookie store, of course, someone always seems to get murdered around her and Hannah helps the local police solve the case. Interspersed amongst the sluething are wonderful cookie, muffin, and pie recipes. If you like light well written mysteries and love to bake I wholeheartily reccommend this series.
My next author was recommended to me by a friend, Diane Mott Davidson. She has already been mentioned here and I have read all of her mysteries. I have cooked a few of her recipes, Monster Cinnamon Rolls for one. I like the setting, Colorado, and the characters but sometimes Goldie is too vaporous for my taste.
I have also read JoAnna Carl's, Chocolate mysteries, nice stories, good location, good character, unfortunately no recipes just chocolate facts.
Then came Nancy Fairbanks and her culinary mysteries with recipes. I like her character Carolyn Blue. If you choose to read this series begin with the first book
"Crime Brulee" and watch how the author develops Carolyn's character. The recipes are too complicated for my liking so I have not tried any of them.
I have read only one of the Pennsylvania Dutch mysteries by Tamar Myers. Her character Magdalena Yoder didn't appeal to me.
I have also read Sammi Carter's, Candy Shop Mysteries. There are only two in this series they were enjoyable but no recipes. Finally, I tried "Steamed", by Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant. A good read but only two in this series.
Then I ran out of appealing recipe mysteries. I am now reading Leslie Meier, Lucy Stone mysteries and Lyn Hamilton, Archaeological mysteries. If you like history try Lyn Hamilton. That's it. Happy reading.

A lot of people have discovered Charlaine Harris recently -- her "undead" mysteries, her Teagarden books and my personal favorites, her "Shakespeare" (the town, not the person) mysteries.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I really like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries and Scrapbooking Mysteries. As others have already mentioned Charlaine Harris, I can only add my voice to theirs - all her series are excellent! I heartily recommend them. I've also read my first coffee shop mystery by Cleo Coyle, and it's very good. Others include the knitting series by Mary Kruger and JoAnna Carl's Chocolate series.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
cocoacat
0 Kudos

Re: Culinary Mysteries and more

Hi. I just started the B/B book club a few months ago. I started reading the ALEXANDER MCCALL SMITH books No 1 Detective Agency and read all of his so now hoping around trying to find some new books to read. I have to say this is the best place to do it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE LIST OF BOOKS. I just bouth a couple that someone else on another mystery area suggested. Theyre coffee house mysteries series by Cleo Coyle. Havent started them yet. But ready!! And the other is Joanne Pence To Catch a Cook.

Ive been reading all of Alexander Mccall Smiths series' and love them. My favorite tho in mysteries has been Robert Parker books. They arent Culinary Mysteries. But he's a funny PI who likes to gourmet cook and is from Boston with a pretty quick witt.

Im in St Petersburg FL. Anyone else from around this area?? Looking forward to chatting about good books. My mom was a librarian while I was growing up so Ive read a million zillion books.....but I know theres a million billion more I want to read. lol

Take care,

Maria
ST Petersburg, FL
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Culinary Mysteries and more

cocoacat wrote:
Hi. I just started the B/B book club a few months ago. I started reading the ALEXANDER MCCALL SMITH books No 1 Detective Agency and read all of his so now hoping around trying to find some new books to read. I have to say this is the best place to do it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE LIST OF BOOKS. I just bouth a couple that someone else on another mystery area suggested. Theyre coffee house mysteries series by Cleo Coyle. Havent started them yet. But ready!! And the other is Joanne Pence To Catch a Cook.

Ive been reading all of Alexander Mccall Smiths series' and love them. My favorite tho in mysteries has been Robert Parker books. They arent Culinary Mysteries. But he's a funny PI who likes to gourmet cook and is from Boston with a pretty quick witt.

Im in St Petersburg FL. Anyone else from around this area?? Looking forward to chatting about good books. My mom was a librarian while I was growing up so Ive read a million zillion books.....but I know theres a million billion more I want to read. lol

Take care,

Maria
ST Petersburg, FL

Robert Parker writes about three different detectives -- Spencer, Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall. Spencer is by far the most popular, but I really like all three.
New User
meregoddess
0 Kudos

Does anyone know where I can find Davidson's Monster Cinnamon Roll Recipe???
New User
empress2000
0 Kudos

Actually, I have made several of her recipes and they really turned out good. I was pretty surprised. Imagine and entertaining novel and good food too!
New User
Veronica8
0 Kudos

Hi! I just joined this board. I love mysteries and I also love to cook. My two favorites so far are Diane Mott Davidson and Cleo Coyle. The recipes are great. Veronica8
Contributor
PriscillaRose
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,
I am also new to this Book Club site and I enjoy mysteries, I have read Jasmine moon Murder by Laura Childs, I liked the setting and the cozy descriptions, I have also read Cherry Cheesecake Murder(Hannah Swensen series) by Joanna Fluke, although I must say I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping, seemed a bit week in places, but I am going to try her others. I enjoyed trick or treat murder by Leslie Meier, I plan on reading her other books too, Its great to read other suggestions above, I am glad I found this disscussion group!

Priscilla Rose x
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Just finished my third Cleo Coyle mystery, I love the coffeehouse mysteries, even though I don't drink coffee! She writes another series under the pseudonym Alice Kimberly, about a haunted bookshop, I really enjoy those as well.

I've read all the Diane Mott Davidson series, and quite a few of the Joanne Pence as well. Only read one of Nancy Fairbank's so far, didn't like it quite as much as some of the others.

I do like Jerrilyn Farmer's "Madeline Bean" catering mysteries. Joanna Carl (aka Eve K Sandstrom) is toooo dangerous, all that chocolate! Haven't yet tried Sammi Carter's candy shop mysteries, sounds like more calories... Joanne Fluke's bakery series is another I want to read.

Has anyone read Isis Crawford's Mystery with Recipes series? A friend recommended it, but I haven't found the books yet. Same with Cecille Lamalle's series.

I've read several of Ellen Hart's Sophie Greenway series, she's a food critic who solves mysteries on the side. Another food critic is the Chas Wheatley series by Phyllis Richman.

Katherine Hall Page has some great recipes in her Faith Fairchild books. The most recipes I've tried, though, come from Virginia Rich's (and later Nancy Pickard's) Eugenia Potter books.
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
becke_davis
0 Kudos

A haunted bookshop? Sounds like my kind of book!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I too enjoy the cozy culinary mysteries. I've read all of Cleo Coyle's coffee shop mysteries & enjoyed them. I haven't yet picked up the Alice Kimberley ones, but I'm planning to. I just read A Catered Valentine's Day by Isis Crawford and am looking forward to reading the rest in the series.

I've read the Joanna Carl Chocolate Mysteries too (they're a lot of fun), Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swenson series (oh those recipes!!! :smileyvery-happy: ), and I've just read the first Gourmet Girl mystery by Jessica Conant-Park & Susan Conant (also very good). Another great set of series are the two by Laura Childs - the Tea Shop Mysteries and the Scrapbook Mysteries.

Similar to these, while not being culinary, are Nancy Kruger's Knitting series, Mary Jane Maffini's Charlotte Adams series, and Elaine Viet's Dead End Job Mysteries.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
butterfly30
0 Kudos

I am new to the B/B book clubs. I have just this past month picked up my first coffeehouse mystery and I am looking forward to reading it.
"Tomorrow Is A brand New Day With No Mistakes In It" Anne of Green Gables
New User
ivorybunny
0 Kudos

I did not realize that Cleo Colye and Alice Kimberly were one in the same. No wonder I love both series so much.
The vulnerable should not wound
Contributor
KiimC_8741
0 Kudos

I am also new to these message boards - I just recently found out they were here - My favorite of these types of books are Dianne Mott Davidson's series. I also have made may of the recipes if anyone is still intersted let me know and I could probably find it for you. My personal favoite is the Chocolate Coma Cookies
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

The website cozy-mystery.com has oodles of authors, referenced in several different ways.  For more authors of culinary mysteries,  check out the "cozies by themes" link  - there are pages of different series with explanations!  http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Cozy-Mysteries-by-Themes.html

It's so nice when someone organizes my life for me ... or at least my reading list.   :smileywink:
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

I don't seem to mind Joanna Fluke's recipies (the one in Key Lime Murder for Orange Cake was O-so-yummy!) Her stories are kind of on the weak side but a a good quick read for a flight or vacation.  I try to stay away from too many culinary reads as they make me want to eat the pages and see if they taste as good as the recipies   *sigh.  I rarely pick them up for the reason that a diet is in order for this body, and if I read too many, them I just keep snacking...  Lol

Stella wrote:
I found Joanne Fluke and her Hannah Swensen Mysteries.

The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini