Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Dan Brown

fyrfli wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:
Look I enjoyed the De Venci book. But I've also read the book whose authors sued him. As DID Mr. Brown. He didn't copy the whole book, but lets just say he stole the conspiracy entirely. And no he didn't creadit them properly.

I'm not so sure I'd go as far as saying he stole the conspiracy entirely because the whole idea of a conspiracy hiding facts about Jesus' life and family and origins and so on is not a unique idea at all - there have been MANY writers on the subject over the years and to say he stole it from the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion.

There is no doubt that he took an old idea and made his own story out of it, but to be charged for plagarism from another fiction writer is just a bit over the top. Again, my opinion.

Brown's book prompted me to do some more digging and I ended up with a book by Picknett and Prince called the Templar Revelation which turned out to be just an accumulation of thoughts, facts and conjecture about this concept - the concealment of facts surrounding the life of Christ. Brown, Leigh ... none of them originated the concept, it's been around for decades.

Around for decades sure. However his listed time for reading Holy B H Grail is less then 2 months before he says he started writing De Vinci. To not even creadit it for sparking the thought in his head?! (shrug)

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

If I had read Da Vinci during its first release, im sure I would be one of those people who suddenly questioned their faith.

I think Mr Brown also ‘subtly' implies his own thoughts into his books. Me, believing Dan Brown rather put some of himself into Robert Langdon. I think Brown did a great job in research and putting stories together. I got really intrigued with his views, I typed ‘Holy Grail' in the search engine here at barnes and man, was I surprised at how many books have already been published about it! I even saw a book about some kind of research if Jesus Christ really got crucified.

Anyway why do I think Dan Brown sounds like Robert Langdon?

In one chapter in Da Vinci, Langdon was talking to his publisher explaining his thoughts on the Sacred Femme isn't unique, since a lot of conspiracy buffs has already made their own research on the matter, his book (Langdon's) was just an ad-on to these theories. In a way, I thought Dan Brown is explaining himself through Robert Langdon. What do you think?

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I haven't read A&D.  I was disappointed in the Da Vinci Code.  Maybe I was expecting too much from the hype, but I found the writing pedestrian and the plot incoherent.  The Name of the Rose did the medieval discovery mystery much better. 

becke_davis wrote:
I admit it, I loved the Da Vinci Code.  Angels and Demons was okay but I didn't like that one as well.  Those are the only books of his that I've read.

0 Kudos

Brown did win the plagiarism case, though the result might have been different had they brought the suit in the US courts.  But there's no doubt that the stole the basic idea for the book and much of the historical research from Holy Blood Holy Grail.  He was protected, as I read the decision, because at least in Britain basic ideas aren't protected, just specific language, and he didn't copy enough of their actual langage (since he was writing pure fiction) to qualify as plagiarism. 

But original fiction it wasn't.

0 Kudos

I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, but i haven't read The Name of the Rose (Everyman) what do you mean by "did the medieval discovery mystery much better." what was better, was it the writing? plot? or something else about The Name of the Rose, that made it more superior to the Da Vinci Code?

Everyman wrote:

I haven't read A&D.  I was disappointed in the Da Vinci Code.  Maybe I was expecting too much from the hype, but I found the writing pedestrian and the plot incoherent.  The Name of the Rose did the medieval discovery mystery much better.

~Jarvie~
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I found Eco's writing more sophisticated and his mystery more compelling than Brown's.  Also, I found the religious controversy to be distracting in The Da Vinci Code, and wasn't able to focus in on the mystery elements properly.

And The Name of the Rose took place in a monestary and a library, and how can one get any more compelling than that???

Marie_Jarvis wrote:

I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, but i haven't read The Name of the Rose (Everyman) what do you mean by "did the medieval discovery mystery much better." what was better, was it the writing? plot? or something else about The Name of the Rose, that made it more superior to the Da Vinci Code?

Everyman wrote:

0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Well I have read Da Vinci Code 11 times, I absolutely LOVE the book!

I read Angel & Demons 2 times. I wish I had of read that one first, but it still was and is a great read!

I look forward to the movie for Angels and Demons.

I haven't read the other books.

"While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning
how to die."
Leonardo da Vinci
New User
sweetz007
0 Kudos

i thought angels and demons was a much better book then da vinci code and like they said the movie was nowhere close to the book im hoping the movie for angels and demons comes out soon
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

If you enjoyed this type of book, you might like The Eight by Katherine Neville, written long before the Da Vinci Code and she is coming out with the sequel, The Fire on Oct 14th. I have the arc and will be reviewing it then. The Eight was a terriffic book,imo, of course. You can get both of them right here at B&N.

Kaye

sweetz007 wrote:
i thought angels and demons was a much better book then da vinci code and like they said the movie was nowhere close to the book im hoping the movie for angels and demons comes out soon

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I read that book, too. It wasn't quite as fast-paced as DaVinci Code but it was interesting.
Contributor
LadyAlexis
0 Kudos

oohh!! thanks for the tip!!! i will check those books out!!!
"While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning
how to die."
Leonardo da Vinci
Contributor
Bookworm1279
0 Kudos

I just started reading Dan Brown and I am glued to him now.  I just read Angels and Demons that book got me hooked on him. This book was a page turner can not wait to read other books by him.

Reader 2
voidedlime
0 Kudos

I just happen upon this post, I am a huge Dan Brown fan Da vinci code was very good but Demons and Angels was better to me, Deception Point was ok. But I am looking for Solomon Key release date (any info).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just read something about the movie of Angels and Demons.  When Dan Brown wrote it, it came before the Da Vinci Code.  The screenwriters have tweaked it so it is now a sequel, in the storyline and in fact.  I've also heard that the Vatican (it takes place in Vatican City and Rome) was none too happy about the making of this film, and blocked their access whenever possible.
Reader 2
voidedlime
0 Kudos

Angels and Demons is the best of his books that I have read. Divinci Code was also so pretty good but I was disappointed by the movie, I don't think Tom Hanks was the person for the role of Robert Langston. I am looking forward to reading Solomon Key.

Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

I read and enjoyed both The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons.  I am looking forward to reading more of his books. 
Phyllis
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

In all fairness, the Vatican has every right to deny permission to film on its property or any of its Catholic churches. Dan Brown's stories are viciously anti-Catholic. Just because Dan Brown chooses to set his stories in actual existing churches does not mean they need to be filmed there.

These blockbusters have budgets that are bigger than the GNP of third world countries... so finding, or building, alternate backgrounds, should be relatively easy to do.

becke_davis wrote:
... I've also heard that the Vatican (it takes place in Vatican City and Rome) was none too happy about the making of this film, and blocked their access whenever possible.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I get the idea these film crews tend to go in to location sets acting like they own the place, too.
Contributor
lunera
0 Kudos

Well I have read all 4 books so far, Digital Fortress being my favorite. I loved it so much that I have seriously considered becoming an actual cryptanalyst. I really love Dan Brown's books. Unfortunately the movies so far haven't lived up to my expectations. I really recommend his books.

I was just have one question. For those of you that have read Digital Fortress, has anyone figured out what the code in the back of the book? I have tried so many things and I still haven't figured it out yet. Any help??

"Dream to Live or Live to Dream"
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons but not the others. You've intrigued me now, though. I love codes and encryptions -- I've always been fascinated by the story of Enigma. Love crosswords, sudokos, etc. I don't think I'm particularly good at them, but I think most mystery lovers enjoy puzzles. If you liked these that much, I'll have to look into them. Thanks!