becke_davis
0 Kudos

Double Feature, Part 1: Martin Limon, the author of NIGHTMARE RANGE

[ Edited ]

Lots going on this week! We have a double feature - the first of the two authors joining us is MARTIN LIMON. 

From Goodreads:

Martin Limon (re)tired from U.S. military service after 20 years in the Army, including a total of ten years in Korea. He and his wife live in Seattle. He is the author of Jade Lady Burning, which was a New York Times Notable Book, Slicky Boys and Buddha's Money. 

Nightmare Range  

The Joy Brigade  

Mr. Kill (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom Series #7)  

Jade Lady Burning (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom Series #1)  

The Joy Brigade (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom Series #8)  

G.I. Bones (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom Series #6)  

The Door to Bitterness (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom Series #4)  

Buddha's Money (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom Series #3)  

Slicky Boys (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom Series #2)  

The Wandering Ghost (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom Series #5)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Double Feature, Part 1: Martin Limon, the author of NIGHTMARE RANGE

http://castroller.com/podcasts/AlfredHitchcockMystery/2857138

Podcast: "A Crust of Rice" by Martin Limón is a tale of survival in the aftermath of the Korean War. A desperate young woman, Ji-na, searches for her erstwhile boyfriend, an American G.I., claiming that he beat and robbed her. She finds unexpected help in the form of Kimiko, an older and wiser "business woman."

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Check this out! http://www.overmydeadbody.com/limon.htm

An Interview with Martin Limon
by Robert S. Napier

Reprinted from Summer 1993, Volume 1, Issue #1

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Nightmare Range  

Overview

Twenty years ago, Martin Limón published his first mystery story featuring Sergeant George Sueño, a young Mexican American army detective stationed on the US 8th Army base in South Korea in the early 1970s, the heart of the Cold War. George and his investigating partner, the rowdy and short-fused Sergeant Ernie Bascom, are assigned cases in which the 8th Army has come into conflict with local Korean law enforcement—often incidents in which American soldiers, who are not known for being on their best behavior in their Asian host country, have committed a crime. George Sueño's job is partially to solve crimes, but mostly to cover top brass's backside and make sure the US Army doesn't look bad. Thoughtful, observant George, who is conversant in Korean, constantly faces difficult choices about whether to follow his orders or his conscience.

Nine critically acclaimed novels later, Soho Crime is releasing a collection of Martin Limón's award-winning short stories featuring Sergeants Sueño and Bascom. The stories within have been published over the last twenty years in a variety of magazines, mostly in Alfred Hitchcock, but have never before been available in book form.

This beautifully produced limited-edition hardcover volume is sure to attract both critical attention and to appeal to collectors. A must-have for literary mystery readers.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome MARTIN LIMON!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Martin, welcome to the forum. I've never been introduced to your books but I will check them out and see what I can buy. Thanks for being here.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
New User
MLimon
0 Kudos

Thanks for welcoming me. I'm new at this but I'm learning!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MLimon wrote:

Welcome, Martin! I'm so glad you were able to sign in! I understand you're just winding up a book tour! Did you have any Barnes & Noble book signings?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MLimon wrote:

Martin - Click "Reply" on the lower right to open a new comment box. Then click "Quote" (black box, upper right) to quote the comment you want to respond to. Hope this helps!

Can you tell us about your next writing project? Can you give us any hints or is it too soon to say?

New User
MLimon
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

MLimon wrote:

Welcome, Martin! I'm so glad you were able to sign in! I understand you're just winding up a book tour! Did you have any Barnes & Noble book signings?

No Barnes & Noble book signings but I'd love to have one.  There is a large B & N store near me at Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood, WA.

New User
MLimon
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

MLimon wrote:

Martin - Click "Reply" on the lower right to open a new comment box. Then click "Quote" (black box, upper right) to quote the comment you want to respond to. Hope this helps!

Can you tell us about your next writing project? Can you give us any hints or is it too soon to say?

I first arrived in Korea in 1968, fifteen years after the end of the Korean War.  The country was still devastated by the impact of that war.  Their economy was destroyed and two to three million people were killed out of a population of somewhat over 20 million.  To my surprise, people much older than me would occasionally approach me and bow and shake my hand and, with tears in their eyes, thank me for saving their country.  Of course, I had done nothing.  They were really thanking the United States for saving them from the ravages of a brutal North Korean Communist regime.  I was moved by their plight and greatly impressed by the profundity of their 4,000 year old culture and I ended up serving five separate tours in Korea for a total of 10 years out of a 20 year army career.  Recently I was introduced to the work of Korean novelist O Chonghui through the English translations of Bruce and Ju-chan Fulton.  It made me reevaluate many of my experiences in Korea, seeing them more as events engendered by a country suffering from widespread post-traumatic stress.   With that in mind, I realized that most of the people in Korea (especially of that generation) are greatly appreciative of the help that America has given them.  But some, a tiny minority, are not.  My next book, THE IRON SICKLE, is about that tiny minority and about the actions of one demented man on the fringes of that minority.  I'm still working on it, although it is in its final stages, and Soho Press will publish it, I hope some time next year.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MLimon wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

MLimon wrote:

No Barnes & Noble book signings but I'd love to have one.  There is a large B & N store near me at Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood, WA.

I hope your local store will be able to set something up!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MLimon wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

MLimon wrote:

I first arrived in Korea in 1968, fifteen years after the end of the Korean War.  The country was still devastated by the impact of that war.  Their economy was destroyed and two to three million people were killed out of a population of somewhat over 20 million.  To my surprise, people much older than me would occasionally approach me and bow and shake my hand and, with tears in their eyes, thank me for saving their country.  Of course, I had done nothing.  They were really thanking the United States for saving them from the ravages of a brutal North Korean Communist regime.  I was moved by their plight and greatly impressed by the profundity of their 4,000 year old culture and I ended up serving five separate tours in Korea for a total of 10 years out of a 20 year army career.  Recently I was introduced to the work of Korean novelist O Chonghui through the English translations of Bruce and Ju-chan Fulton.  It made me reevaluate many of my experiences in Korea, seeing them more as events engendered by a country suffering from widespread post-traumatic stress.   With that in mind, I realized that most of the people in Korea (especially of that generation) are greatly appreciative of the help that America has given them.  But some, a tiny minority, are not.  My next book, THE IRON SICKLE, is about that tiny minority and about the actions of one demented man on the fringes of that minority.  I'm still working on it, although it is in its final stages, and Soho Press will publish it, I hope some time next year.

Martin - let me know when you have more information about THE IRON SICKLE - you're welcome to post updates here any time, or you can email me with the details and I'll update it for you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Martin - Thank you so much for joining us this week! Come back again soon!

Becke

New User
MLimon
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

Becke

My pleasure.  Thanks for inviting me.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MLimon wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Becke

My pleasure.  Thanks for inviting me.

I hope a lot of B&N Mystery Forum followers will check out your books after reading these posts!