Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Double Feature! Please Welcome Author DUFFY BROWN!

We have two authors visiting this week, to double your fun!

Duffy Brown may be a familiar name, since she's a friend of mine and I'm very excited about her Consignment Shop mysteries!

Debbie hosted Duffy last year: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/Guest-author-Duffy-Brown-talks-abo...

Her website is here: http://www.duffybrown.com/

I've been lucky enough to attend two mystery parties at Duffy's house: http://www.duffybrown.com/Page_9.html

I'll post more pictures, as well as some we took last year at Malice Domestic. Duffy and I also went to Magna Cum Murder together a few years ago, but I got a 24 bug on the way there. I recovered enough to attend the last day events, but I didn't get any pictures, unfortunately. Duffy is also one of the hosts of my favorite conference, Lori Foster's Reader Author Get Together in Cincinnati! (I can't make it this year because it conflicts with a family wedding, but I'll be there next year, for sure!)

If Duffy looks familiar, you may know her by her romance-writing name, Dianne Castell. I'll post links to all her books, mystery AND romance!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Double Feature! Please Welcome Author DUFFY BROWN!

Duffy Brown loves anything with a mystery. While others girls dreamed of dating Brad Pitt, Duffy longed to take Sherlock Holmes to the prom. She has two cats, Spooky and Dr. Watson, and conjures up who-done-it stories of her very own for Berkley Prime Crime. Iced Chiffon, out October, 2012, is the first book in the Consignment: Murder series. Duffy writes romance as Dianne Castell and is a USA Today bestselling author.

Here's a little more:

Biography

Duffy Brown writes for Berkley Prime Crime. Aka Dianne Castell she is a USA Today Bestseller and has books with Kensington BRAVA and Harlequin. Her books have won Romantic Times Reviewers Choice Award, HOLT-Medallion Award 2010, been on the cover of Romantic Times Magazine and included in Rhapsody Book Club, Doubleday Book Club and made the Waldenbooks Bestseller list. Duffy lives in Cincinnati with her two cats and loves killing people off for fun and profit.

Affiliation RWA, OVRWA, Sisters In Crime, Kiss of Death

Awards Romantic Times Reviewers Choice Award, HOLT-Medallion Award 2010, been on the cover of Romantic Times Magazine and included in Rhapsody Book Club, Doubleday Book Club and made the Waldenbooks Bestseller list.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

In Savannah life is slow and easy, but there're secrets plenty under the surface and that's  big trouble for Reagan, Auntie KiKi, and that no-good scum-sucking lawyer, Walker Boone.

The major players...

Reagan Summerside—32, signed a prenup because she was young, dumb and in love. Now she’s older, wiser and broke      

Walker Boone—the ex’s lawyer who screwed Reagan…not literally, in the divorce. Once a member of the 17th Street Gang  

Hollis Beaumont—Reagan’s ex, in full-blown midlife crisis mode and now madly in love with Cupcake

Janelle Claiborne—the Cupcake madly in love with herself.

Auntie KiKi—lives next door to Reagan. 50ish, was a roadie for Cher and never quite left the tour  

Judge Gloria Summerside—conservative, named her daughter Reagan, known as Guillotine Gloria

AnnieFritz and Elsie Abbottelderly sisters, live next door,

retired school teachers, now professional mourners 

And meet the other Bruce Willis, 
rescue dog under Reagan's porch

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Iced Chiffon (Consignment Shop Mystery Series #1)  

I didn’t need Hollis upset that I was using his Lexus as a delivery van. I wanted to keep him in Zen-mode till he signed over Cherry House. 

As I drove down Habersham the smell of fine leather and the feel of an electronically cooled seat chilling my derriere made me realize just how much I’d missed this car. Right now I missed any car. I killed the engine by my gnarled cherry tree in full bloom that gave the house its name. The aroma was incredible, and half the reason I persuaded Hollis to buy the house years ago.

The other half was that I’d loved this house since I was a kid. I watched it deteriorate bit by bit and I knew I could save it. The fact that I’d never hammered or screwed or sawed a thing in my life didn’t deter my enthusiasm. It should have.

Auntie KiKi scurried out the front door waving her hands in the air. “Where in the world have you been?” she panted, leaning in through the open car window, her cheeks flushed. “When I got home people were waiting on your porch ready to shop in that new consignment store of yours. They said they got one of those tweets.” She tisked, the universal sound of exasperated Southern women everywhere. “Whatever happened to the days when you got a nice phone call from a friend telling you what was what?” she lamented. “You have customers in your dining room, and I have a waltz lesson with Bernard in ten minutes.” She heaved a weary sigh. 

Bernard Thayer was seventy, had no rhythm, less coordination, been Mr. Weather on Savannah TV for thirty years and he was determined to wind up on Dancing with the Stars. “What in the world are you doing with the Lexus?” KiKi asked me.

“I sold that fountain in the back yard to Raylene Carter. Now I have to deliver it as well as get the car back before Hollis knows I took it. I sort of didn’t tell him.”

“Grand Theft Auto, your mamma will be so proud.”

I ignored the possibility and popped the trunk. “Take a look-see at how much room we have. Hollis stores his real estate junk in there.” I grabbed my purse and rummaged for keys to the shed as I headed for the back yard. “I’ve got a cart and we can haul the fountain and--”

“Sweet Jesus in heaven! Uh, Reagan, honey,” KiKi called, her finger crooked at me in a come-here gesture. “We have junk, a great big pile of it.” 

“Dump it on the lawn,” I said hurrying back to the car to help unload. “If I have to hire movers I won’t make any money at all and we’re running short on time and- Holy mother of God!”

My gaze landed on Cupcake, face up, eyes wide open, and dead as Lincoln right there in Hollis’s trunk. 

KiKi and I stared, neither of us breathing. KiKi finally whispered, “She doesn’t look nearly as good in the pink chiffon as you do.”

“Maybe because she has blood in her hair and is rolled up in plastic like a hotdog in a bun.” I made the sign of the cross to make up for disrespecting the dead.

“There is that.” KiKi sounded faint and slowly slumped to the curb. We sat together holding hands, trunk still wide open like a casket at a viewing. “You wouldn’t happen to have a martini in that purse of yours, would you?”

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Overview

There’s always something to gossip about in Savannah, Georgia, and Reagan Summerside always seems to be in the middle of it. She’s busy enough running her consignment shop, The Prissy Fox, with her vivacious Auntie KiKi, but now the gossip—and the sales—are about to pick up after a gruesome discovery… Reagan’s messy divorce has left her with nothing but a run-down Victorian and a bunch of designer clothes. Strapped for cash, Reagan makes use of the two things she has left, turning the first floor of her home into a consignment shop and filling it with the remnants of her rich-wife wardrobe. Thanks to his cunning lawyer Walker Boone, her ex got everything else, including the Lexus—not to mention a young blond cupcake. When Reagan finds the cupcake dead in the Lexus, she’s determined to beat Boone to finding the murderer. As it turns out, the gossip fiends flooding Reagan’s shop will give her a lot more than just their unwanted clothes—they have information more precious than a vintage Louis Vuitton…

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Killer in Crinolines (Consignment Shop Mystery Series #2)  

Overview

It’s August in Savannah, Georgia—hardly the season for a traditional Southern wedding with hoopskirts and crinolines. One could die from the heat—or from a cake knife in the back...

Reagan Summerside should be devoting all her energy to her consignment shop the Prissy Fox. But when her dear friend Chantilly Parker is arrested for murder, Reagan vows to clear her name. The victim is Simon Ambrose, who’s found lying in his own wedding cake with a knife in his back.

Chantilly has motive (Simon broke her heart to marry wealthy Waynetta Waverly) and opportunity (crashing the wedding in her UPS delivery truck). And she has cake on her face, and the stolen bridesmaid dress the killer wore is in her truck. But Chantilly would never wear crinoline to kill a man!

With the help of her flamboyant auntie, KiKi, and vexing but attractive attorney Walker Boone, Reagan is determined to save her friend—before she’s forced to turn in her brown uniform for an orange jumpsuit…

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I headed for the back steps, the slapping of my flip-flops echoing in the now empty hallway of Magnolia Plantation. Everyone was seated outside in full Southern wedding regalia wanting nothing more than to get back to air condition and chilled champagne quickly as possible. I turned for the atrium and collided head-on with a waitress coming out of the dining room. 

“Have you seen the bride or the groom?” I asked breathless, my hundred-and-twenty-three pounds and Old Yeller, my purse, taking the worse of the impact. Okay, a hundred-and-twenty-eight pounds, but I swear I’m on a diet and just thinking ahead.

The waitress’s side ponytail drooped down around her ears and she leaned against one of the fake marble columns, her blue eyes with even bluer eye shadow not focusing. “How could this happen?”

“We just ran into each other, is all, honey. Take a few deep breaths.” I rummaged around in Old Yeller and came up with a half roll of Life Savers and pealed off a red one. “Here, eat this. Sugar cures all. Are you okay?”

“This is terrible, just terrible.” She slurped the candy and pointed a shaky finger to the double doors leading to the dining room. A chill replaced the August heat cooking me to near done.

I stood and entered the dining room, quite and still, dust moots floating in the setting sun. Round tables were decked out in peach-tone linens with white flower arrangements of roses and forget-me-nots. Candlelight danced about the room and Doreen-the-wedding-planner lay crumbled in a heap on the floor.

“Oh dear Lord!” I starting for Doreen but then stopped in my tracks because Simon was there too. He was face down in the five-tiered wedding cake with a silver cake knife sticking out of his back.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please welcome DUFFY BROWN!

DSCN0598.JPG
DSCN0590.JPG
DSCN0592.JPG
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll post more picture throughout the week. I can't get captions to post, so ask me about these pictures, which are from Duffy's first Mystery Party in 2011. I have more pictures from 2012, too!

Some of the authors in these pictures:

Wedded in Scandal (Bridal Favors Series)  

Stone Kissed  

The Casanova Code  

Fueling Her Fire  

Sultry with a Twist  

A Charming Crime  

Author
DuffyBrown
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becky

Always new characters coming and going and having a rescue pup is always so much fun

Consignment: Murder
Berkley Prime Crime
Ice Chiffon
Killer in Crinolines
Pearls and Poison
Author
DuffyBrown
0 Kudos

On the road now returning from Malice Domestic in Bltimore. So muc fun seeing all the authors and readers.The best part of being an author is meeting the readers

Berkley Prime Crime
Ice Chiffon
Killer in Crinolines
Pearls and Poison
Author
DuffyBrown
0 Kudos

Savannah is wonderful, spring is incredible and the food is amazing, such terrific restaurants and soooo haunted. If you don't believe you will by the time yiu leave.LOL

Berkley Prime Crime
Ice Chiffon
Killer in Crinolines
Pearls and Poison
Author
DuffyBrown
0 Kudos

yes, Becky. Malice next year. Soooo much going on. Malice is cozy mystery mecca

Berkley Prime Crime
Ice Chiffon
Killer in Crinolines
Pearls and Poison
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke.JPG
DSCN0575.JPG
DSCN0576.JPG

Great pics, becke and Duffy! becke looks quite the Grande Dame there, doesn't she? That is my kind of party!
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

ooops, sorry--thought I had gotten Duffy's picture copied too.

Anyway, welcome back, Duffy. I enjoyed reading Iced Chiffon. Now I am ready to read Killer in Crinolines at least partly out of curiousity to find out what's going to happen between Reagan and Hollister.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

DuffyBrown wrote:

On the road now returning from Malice Domestic in Bltimore. So muc fun seeing all the authors and readers.The best part of being an author is meeting the readers

It was so much fun going with you last year - such a beautiful drive, too! I'm surprised either of us had a voice left by the time we arrived, though!