becke_davis
0 Kudos

Double Feature: Please Welcome Author JEFFREY SMALL!

I'm excited to introduce JEFFREY SMALL! It's Jeff's first visit to B&N's Mystery Forum so please give him a big welcome! His website is here: http://www.jeffreysmall.com/JeffreySmall.com/Home.html

From his website:

JeffreySmall.com

I’m excited to announce that my second novel,THE JERICHO DECEPTION, is now available. My critically-acclaimed debut novel, THE BREATH OF GOD, had a great 2012, winning the Nautilus Book Award Gold Medal for Best Fiction and the Living Now Book Award Gold Medal for Best Adventure Fiction. A big thank you to all the fans for your support, encouragement, and kind words!

I’ll be touring the country on a Speaking Tour late spring and summer. If you would like to bring me to your city. Let me know.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Double Feature: Please Welcome Author JEFFREY SMALL!

Jeffrey’s Bio - Part One

Hometown: Atlanta, GA

Passion: Writing, Reading, Learning, Teaching

Hobbies: Dance (ballroom, hip hop, and jazz), travel, hiking, sailing, yoga

Quotes: 

Goethe – “What you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has a genius, power, and magic in it.”

Gandhi - “I am a Hindu, I am a Moslem, I am a Jew, I am a Christian, I am a Buddhist!

Clifford Geertz - “We all begin with the natural equipment to live a thousand kind of lives but end in the end having lived only one.”

Reading: 

I’m usually reading five books at once. My favorite novel is Ken Follet’s Pillars of the Earth.  As a teen, I enjoyed LOTR and Dune.  In my twenties it was Clancy and Koontz. Now I read mostly non-fiction books on spiritual topics. My favorite authors (and theological influences) are Marcus Borg, Thich Nhat Hanh, Paul Tillich, John Macquarrie, John Hick, John Shelby Spong, John Robinson, and Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. 

Favorite Movies:

The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Lawrence of Arabia, and a number of juvenile comedies I’m too embarrassed to list here.

Music: 

I have an eclectic iPod mix of alternative, ‘90s rap, classic rock, and current pop.

Favorite Trips: 

Italy, New Zealand, Botswana, Bhutan.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jeffrey’s Bio - Part Two

Jeffrey Small, Jr. is the author of the best selling thriller, The Breath of God, which won the Nautilus Book Award Gold Medal for Best Fiction and was hailed as "a thought-provoking masterpiece" by RT Book Reviews, "visionary fiction" by Library Journal, and "a fast-paced adventure" by Kirkus.  His second novel, The Jericho Deception, arrives in late April 2013. He is also a popular blogger on Huffington Post, and an acclaimedspeaker on religious and spirituality topics. 

Jeffrey graduated summa cum laude from Yale University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. While at Yale, he served as Publisher and Senior Editor of the Yale Herald. He then graduatedmagna cum laude from Harvard Law School where he was elected to the Board of Student Advisors and taught speech, legal writing, and research. Jeffrey next earned a Masters in the Study of Religions from Oxford University in England where he was a member of Oriel College.

Jeffrey is active in the Episcopal Church, current serving as a member of the Board of Trustees at General Theological Seminary in New York, but he has also studied Yoga in India, practiced Buddhist meditation in Bhutan, explored the ancient temples in Egypt, and journeyed throughout the Holy Land.

When not pursing his passion for theological discourse, Jeffrey is the CEO and founder of MDH Partners, an Atlanta-based commercial real estate investment and development company. Working with The Blackstone Group and Wells Fargo, MDH Partners has participated in over $2 billion of acquisitions and developments. Prior to founding his new company in 2005, Jeffrey was the CEO of M.D. Hodges, one of Atlanta’s largest real estate development companies. He began his professional career practicing corporate law at the Atlanta law firm King & Spalding.

Jeffrey’s eclectic hobbies include being a former US Champion amateur ballroom dancer with his wife, Alison. He also held the rank of Black Sash in Kung Fu, specializing in the the Internal Arts. 

Jeffrey currently serves as a member of the Boards of Trustees at both The Westminster Schools and Trinity Schools in Atlanta, where he focuses on education in the 21st century, and he serves Board of Trustees at General Theological Seminary in New York, the first seminary of the Episcopal Church.  He is the former Vice-Chairman of the Board of IMAGE Film and Video, the organizer of the Atlanta Film Festival. He also serves as a member of the Board of Directors of First Century Energy, a green energy company targeted on the commercial and industrial real estate market.

His proudest accomplishments are his marriage and friendship with his wife and their smart, beautiful, and sweet daughter.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jeff's Academic Writing: (Not currently available at B&N)

God as the Ground of Being: 

Tillich and Buddhism in Dialogue

A book from Jeffrey Small exploring how the theology of Paul Tillich opens up a door to a Christian - Buddhist dialogue.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jeff's blog, ONE REALITY, is here: http://www.jeffreysmall.com/JeffreySmall.com/Blog/Blog.html

He's on Twitter here:

Jeffrey Small @jeffreysmalljr

Author and speaker on religion and spirituality in a modern world. School board member focused on 21st Century education. Real estate private equity investor.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Breath of God  

The Breath of God

A murder at the Taj Mahal. A kidnapping in a sacred city. A desperate chase through a cliffside monastery. All in the pursuit of a legend that could link together the great religious faiths of the world

In 1887, a Russian journalist made an explosive discovery in a remote Himalayan monastery only to be condemned and silenced for the heresy he proposed. His discovery vanished shortly thereafter. 

Now, graduate student Grant Matthews journeys to the Himalayas in search of this ancient mystery. But Matthews couldn’t have anticipated the conspiracy of zealots who would go to any lengths to prevent him from bringing this secret public. Soon he is in a race to expose a truth that will change the world’s understanding of religion. A truth that his university colleagues believe is mere myth. A truth that will change his life forever—if he survives.

Jeffrey took the pictures in this trailer on research trips for the novel.

Published by West Hills,

an imprint of Hundreds of Heads.

Distributed by PGW

ISBN-13:978-1-933512-86-0

ISBN-10:1-933512-86-5

Book Clubs and Reading Groups:
Click here for discussion questions.
Click here for a photographic journey of Jeffrey’s research in India and Bhutan.

The Breath of God Links

Small’s stunning debut...a thought provoking masterpiece.”

RT Book Reviews

“This tale is for fans of Dan Brown's thrillers as well as readers who enjoy visionary fiction.”

Library Journal 

An impressive literary debut.”

Atlanta Magazine

“Best Fiction 2012 Gold Medal”

Nautilus Book Awards

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Jericho Deception  

What if you controlled the power to see God?

Yale neuroscientist Dr. Ethan Lightman is on the verge of a ground-breaking discovery. A discovery that will solve a mystery that has haunted him since childhood. A discovery that will alter humanity’s relationship with religion forever.

Ethan’s invention, the Logos machine, has the power to produce religious ecstasy, but it may also cause madness.

When a colleague is brutally murdered, Ethan and Rachel Riley, a brilliant and beautiful graduate student, are thrust into a web of treachery that takes them deep into the Egyptian desert and to Project Jericho: a top-secret CIA program run by a mysterious doctor.  As Ethan learns how his research has been perverted, he and Rachel race to unlock the Logos machine’s secrets before Project Jericho launches a modern Holy War. Along the way, he must confront a suppressed secret from his past that defines his very being.

The Jericho Deception

“A ripping good novel, brimming with excitement, imagination, vivid settings, and personable characters.”

Douglas Preston, #1 Bestselling Author of The Monster of Florence

“Captivating with plausibility and imagination. A gritty thriller.”

Steve Berry, NYT Bestselling Author of The King’s Deception

"A high-tech Da Vinci Code on steroids, only better written."   

Jon Land, NYT bestselling author of Pandora's Temple

“A thrilling roller-coaster ride into the beauty and darkness of the human mind.”

Gayle Lynds, NYT bestselling author of The Book of Spies

“Best Suspense/Thriller Novel 2013 Gold Medal”

Independent Publisher Book Awards (IPPY)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EXCERPT

The Jericho Deception    Jeffrey Small

CHAPTER 1

Yale-New Haven Hospital

Present Day

“Do you smell something, Doctor? Like burning rubber?”

Dr. Ethan Lightman placed a hand on his patient’s shoulder. Bedside manner wasn’t one of his strengths, but he made an effort. “Liz, just relax. You’re in the early phase of the seizure.”

He suspected that she was experiencing the first stages of an SPS, a simple partial seizure, which could affect a patient’s senses: smell, touch, sight, hearing, taste, but not consciousness. Good, he thought. It’s beginning.

“I’m scared.” Her eyes were wide and her pupils dilated. “I haven’t been off my Phenytoin for over two years.” She tugged at the handmade quilt that covered her on the narrow hospital bed. The IV line attached to her arm swung above her body. “And I told you what happened then.”

He nodded. He knew his patient well: Elizabeth Clarkson, a thirty-six-year-old woman whose curly black hair and freckled face gave away her Irish descent. She looked like a younger version of his mother, who had passed on her dark hair and fair complexion to him. During their initial interview, he’d learned that she’d been on epileptic management drugs since she was seventeen. The unpredictability of her seizures made holding down a job difficult. She now worked at a flower shop part-time. But her misfortune, he hoped, might solve the mystery that had consumed the past five years of his life. Her seizures were special.

“That’s why we have you in the hospital.” He gestured to the nurse with the silver hair tied in a bun on top of her head who was arranging instruments on the stainless steel table on the opposite side of the bed. “Judith has some nice drugs for you if the experience becomes too intense.”

“That’s right, Sweetie”—Judith touched her arm—“I’ll take good care of you.”

The fifteen-by-twenty-foot space was larger than the standard private hospital room because it was set up for longitudinal studies. Liz had lived there for two weeks, undergoing LTVM—long-term video monitoring, a protocol used on patients with difficult cases of epilepsy. She was continuously monitored by video and by EEG, electroencephalography. Although the room had the sterile smell of antiseptic, and the clean but scuffed white linoleum tiles left no doubt as to the hospital setting, she had hung a swath of multicolored silk in an Indian design over one wall, which, along with the pictures of her three cats on the bedside table, helped to soften the room.

She smiled at him. “Are you sure you’re old enough to be a doctor?” Her blue eyes dropped down the length of his body. He felt his face and neck flush.

Ethan knew he looked younger than his thirty-two years. Although he was nearly six-four, he was lanky. At times, usually inopportune ones, he tripped over his own size thirteen shoes. He had a runner’s build—though he didn’t run. His high school track coach had begged him to try out for the team, but after a few practices, both knew he wasn’t meant to be an athlete.

“Old enough,” he said, returning her smile. He suspected it looked awkward. He pulled his penlight from the breast pocket of his lab coat to keep himself focused.

“At least you don’t think I’m crazy. I mean, the things I used to see during my spells.”

He didn’t think she was crazy. On the contrary, he was determined to understand the etiology, the causation, of her visions. During her early twenties, Liz had been active in her church. In addition to working as the minister’s administrative assistant, she led an adult Sunday school class, a Tuesday morning Bible study, and a prayer group. However, after she revealed to the minister details about her special experiences, he asked her to leave. The things she saw were not natural, he’d explained, and he feared that the devil might be at work in her mind.

Ethan checked the connections of the nineteen wires attached to her scalp; theyjoined in a single bundle below the bed and then ran along the floor until they terminated at a computer monitoring station. The computer recorded the electrical signals originating from Liz’s brain—her EEG—and had sent a text message to his cell phone fifteen minutes earlier, as soon as it detected unusual sharp-slow waves.

He hoped this time he would get the data he needed. He felt the tension in his shoulders as he bent to examine the dilation of her pupils with his penlight. He and his mentor, Professor Elijah Schiff, needed a breakthrough. They weren’t there to cure Liz of her epilepsy. Her condition was under control with the medication that he’d stopped when she entered the study. If I could just capture an EEG of one of her episodes, then maybe... He let the thought trail off.

Ethan and Elijah had hit a dead end, and they were running out of time. They had exhausted their grant several months earlier. While Elijah was out canvassing the non-profit community for more money, Ethan worked harder than he had in his life, trying to demonstrate progress: to prove that their idea wasn’t just a pipe dream. In his gut, he felt they were close to making one of the greatest breakthroughs in modern psychology. But not everyone believed their theory was plausible. In fact, most of their colleagues ridiculed the idea.

“Dr. Lightman!” an urgent voice from the back of the room interrupted his thoughts.

He’d almost forgotten about Christian Sligh, the second-year grad student sitting at the small wooden desk overflowing with computer equipment. The bundle of electrodes attached to Liz’s scalp terminated into ten differential amplifiers, which boosted the slight electrical signal coming from her brain activity. These signals were picked up and analyzed by the computer workstation that filtered out extraneous signals, such as any electrodermal response—spontaneous electrical impulses across the skin caused by a fluctuation in emotion—or the EMG signals produced when muscles contract. He only cared about capturing the electrical signals produced by her brain.

Chris stared at three twenty-inch LCD monitors. With his shaggy blond hair, he appeared more like a surfer from Malibu than a psych graduate from Notre Dame. The flip-flops and shorts enhanced the surfer image, but his wool sweater was a concession to the cold New Haven rain they’d experienced that fall. Ethan didn’t know what he would have done without his grad student. Chris had a knack for wading through the bureaucracy of the various university approvals their study required. Ethan didn’t have the patience for paperwork; he was too busy spending late nights working on the project itself. 

A faint beeping of equipment echoed in the background. “I’m getting some interictal activity in the temporal lobes,” Chris said.

Ethan turned to Liz. She stared at the ceiling without blinking. Judith reached for her arm to place a blood pressure cuff on it. He touched the nurse’s shoulder, shaking his head. He didn’t want any external stimuli to influence the patient’s experience or disrupt the EEG. Judith withdrew the BP cuff with an annoyed look.

Liz gazed at the ceiling with an expression that exuded relaxed concentration. He guessed that the seizure was spreading: probably evolving from an SPS to a CPS, a complex partial seizure. He wondered if it was still primarily located in the left temporal lobe. He was torn between observing at her side and joining Chris at the computer screens. But the EEG was being recorded, and he would spend the night studying it.

“Doctor,” Judith said in a voice just above a whisper. “Hasn’t it been long enough?” She held a syringe in her hand. Her brow was furrowed.

He shook his head. He’d explained the protocol to her several times before, but she’d grown close to the patient over the past weeks. Next time, he would rotate the caregivers.

Liz’s voice caused both of them to break their stare-off and look down at her. “It’s beautiful.”

He was uncertain what to do. Did he engage her in conversation or let the experience play itself out? Sensing Judith’s restlessness, he asked, “What do you see?”

“Beautiful.” Her voice had a distance to it.

“Uh, Doctor,” Chris called from behind him, “the seizures are originating in the left temporal lobe.” 

I was right, he thought.

“But they’re spreading quickly!”

At that moment, Liz’s body went rigid. Her legs and arms stiffened as if she was being hit by a sudden jolt of electricity. Her hands arched upward on the quilt, each of her finger joints locked out.

“It’s time, Doctor,” Judith said. She moved the syringe toward the IV.

“A minute more.” The most important data would be from the early stage of the seizure, when it was isolated to the temporal lobe, but he needed a complete picture. Too much was at stake.

Then Liz’s eyes rolled back in her head, and her body began to convulse. Her chest heaved while her arms and legs shook as if being shocked by a rhythmic electrical pulse.

“She’s going myoclonic!” He lunged for her shoulders.

“Doctor!” Judith screamed.

Ethan knew he was losing control of the situation. Judith jammed a roll of gauze into her mouth—quick thinking, he realized, but he should have asked for it earlier.

“Now!” he instructed the nurse while he struggled to control Liz’s shaking arms.

“One gram of Phenytoin, two of Ativan.” Normally he would have doubled the Ativan dose on a seizure this strong, but he wanted to control it without sending her into unconsciousness. He needed her clear memory of the experience.

Within ninety seconds of Judith administering the anti-epileptic and anticonvulsant meds, the myoclonic jerking ceased. He released the patient’s arms. Judith wiped Liz’s forehead with a cloth while gently removing the gauze from her mouth. The nurse didn’t look at him.

He realized that his own hairline was also damp with perspiration. Taking a step back from the bed, he wiped his eyes on the sleeve of his white lab coat. His heart rate was pounding, and he was breathing deeply. He recognized the signs of his own sympathetic nervous system engaged in a fight-or-flight response.

Liz’s eyes opened as if awakening from a nap. “Try not to move,” he said. “The seizure is over now. We’ve given you some medication that might make you feel a little groggy.”

He stepped to the bed, bent over her, and placed two fingers on her neck. Her pulse was coming down. He wished his would do the same. He focused on her expression, curious as to what she’d remember in the post-ictal state. Many patients had complete amnesia, but the rare ones with her condition recalled every detail. Those details often changed their lives forever.

While he waited for Judith to give her a few ice chips, he grabbed his black notebook from the leather satchel he’d left near the room’s entrance, pulled a chair over to the bed, and opened the notebook.

“Liz, if you’re feeling up it,” he asked, “can you describe what happened?”

She turned to him, locking her eyes onto his.

“Infinity.”

She smiled a dreamlike smile, as if to say anything else would be inexact.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Please welcome JEFFREY SMALL!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jeff - I hope you're able to sign in okay. If you run into problems, email me at Treethyme@aol.com. I HOPE I'll be able to help.

What are you working on next? Can you give us any hints about your next book, or is it too soon to say?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jeffrey, I'm not familiar with your books but I will check them out at the bookstore. Thanks for being here on the forum.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Welcome, Jeffrey, I'm not familiar with your books but I will check them out at the bookstore. Thanks for being here on the forum.

Ditto. I think The Breath of God sounds particularly intriguing.

Did you actually go to the Himalayas as part of your research for the book? ( shudder from one who has a fear of heights!)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Ditto. I think The Breath of God sounds very intriguing, Jeffrey. I'm wondering if you actually traveled to the Himalayan mountain range as part of your research.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sorry for the double post. Think the g-n-o-m-e-s are at it again! When I clicked on the "Post" link, it turned light gray but I didn't get the usual message that says, " Posted!" Go figure.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Jeffrey: I will definitely be getting a copy of both of your books. They look very engrossing! My husband will love these books too! He loves books with religious themes! Thanks for visiting with us!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Sorry for the double post. Think the g-n-o-m-e-s are at it again! When I clicked on the "Post" link, it turned light gray but I didn't get the usual message that says, " Posted!" Go figure.

The gnomes are up to their tricks, for sure! I can post comments but I'm having trouble getting new comment boxes to open. It's always something!!

New User
Jeffrey_Small
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for all the support - it's great to know that you're all excited about my books. I can't wait to hear what you think!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jeffrey_Small wrote:

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for all the support - it's great to know that you're all excited about my books. I can't wait to hear what you think!

Hi Jeffrey! Thanks so much for joining us! I apologize for the occasional glitchiness of the sign-in process. The site has some resident computer gnomes who like to battle with us and our guest authors!