Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elizabeth George: What Came Before He Shot Her

Many readers were shocked at the end of With No One As Witness.  I would venture a guess that no mystery has aroused as much controversy or discussion since Agatha Christie's classic The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.  Here is a link:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/With-No-One-as-Witness/Elizabeth-George/e/9780060545611/?itm=6&bnit...

In What Came Before He Shot Her, Ms. George steps back to look at a shocking crime from a different perspective, giving her readers a chance to take a deep breath and accept that the unexpected twist was not only the author's privilege but a challenge to her readers to stay on the path, even when she takes us to places we may not really want to go.  Join us in reading this book and post your comments on this thread.  Here is a link to the book:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/What-Came-Before-He-Shot-Her/Elizabeth-George/e/9780641858680/?itm=...

New User
groover
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth George: What Came Before He Shot Her

I absolutely hated this book. Could not even finish, found it draggy and of little overall interst.
Reader
jeanne41
0 Kudos

I really loved this book.  I am a longtime Elizabeth George fan and have followed the adventures of Lynley, Helen, Barbara, Deborah etc from the beginning.  This book was clearly a departure from all of that.

However, I found it a very rewarding departure.  I am a lawyer and part of my work involves representing parents and children in the child protection system.  I found that every word of this book rang completely true.   I imagine this was a big stretch and a big risk for Ms. George, but it my view she presented the complexities of children caught in a world without adequate parental care with empathy towards everyone involved and great authenticity.

New User
kathib
0 Kudos

I have to say that I used to adore this series, couldn't wait for the next book to be published.  But when you killed off Helen you totally lost me.  I saw no reason for this turn of events.  In fact, what was so delightful about the series was the love stories behind the scenes, the somewhat comedic relief and downright sweetness of the relationship between Lynley and Havers.  Just like the Patricia Cornwall Kay Scarpetta series, this became darker and darker.  I don't mind reading about horrible crime, a look into the perverted mind of the criminals, etc.  as long as in the end justice and good prevail.  Yes, I know that isn't how things always turn out, but we don't turn to fiction to have reality flung in our faces.  We have real life for that.  So I say, if you have to copy "Dallas" and have Helen's murder be a dream , then do it! Otherwise, you have lost me as a reader.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Did you read the link I posted from Elizabeth George's blog where she explains why she did that?  I got a much better understanding of her reasons when I read that.  I'm still really sad about Helen but now I can see why she wanted to take the series in that direction.
Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

I just started reading this book yesterday. I've read all the other Lynley books but had put off this one thinking that I wouldn't enjoy it. Well I was definitely wrong. I still have a lot to read but I find the story fascinating, sad, and compelling so far. I can't wait to start Careless In Red afterwards.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I thought this book was very well written but it made me so sad.  It is thought-provoking but it kind of hopeless, which may be realistic but depressing as hell.
Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I thought this book was very well written but it made me so sad.  It is thought-provoking but it kind of hopeless, which may be realistic but depressing as hell.

I agee. I just finished the book last night. It really struck me as a mom to kids that age (16 and 13) how different the family dynamic was in the book. And knowing what would eventually happen in the end, kind of clouded all the good things that seemed to happen throughout the story.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I didn't like the way it ended, not that I expected it to end any other way.  It just all seemed so inevitable, and just horrific for everyone involved.
Frequent Contributor
Indigo-Dragonfly
0 Kudos

What Came Before He Shot Her is by no means a straightforward story, although it’s ending is as inevitable as any tragedy. It's a good book, giving an authentic voice to inner-city Britain; ironically it's an American providing it. Those who have seen the headlines about teenagers being killed in London will know all too well the refrain that ‘the victim had so much potential.’ While Joel is an embryonic killer, he is as much a victim as the woman he shoots, but he is a victim of circumstance and conspiracy. Just a thought!

Indigo-Dragonfly

Author
ElizabethGeorge
0 Kudos

How unfortunate that you would give up on the series because a character is no longer in it. I hope you will reconsider so that you might see the direction that the characters' lives now go in. Things are not always as they appear.

Elizabeth 

Learn more about Careless in Red.

Discover all Elizabeth George titles.