Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Featured Book for September: AIR TIME by Hank Phillippi Ryan

I am very excited to welcome HANK PHILLIPPI RYAN as one of our featured authors for September. Many of you know Hank, who has been a regular on our board for awhile. Those of you who live in Boston know her as an investigate reporter on TV, but we know her for her fabulous series about Charlotte McNally -- finally, a heroine who isn't a twenty-something! (No offense to twenty-somethings, but still . . .)

AIR TIME, Hank's latest release, is the third book in a series, with DRIVE TIME coming out in January 2010. Book one in the series is PRIME TIME and FACE TIME is the second. I frequently read series books out of order, but in this case I think you'll enjoy the series more if you start with PRIME TIME and read on. You won't miss a lot by reading the books individually, but it's fun to see the changes in Charlie's life as they happen.

I reviewed PRIME TIME over at Michelle Buonfiglio's Romance B(u)y the Book blog in July: http://romancebytheblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/feature-review-prime-time-by-hank.html

(Michelle inteviewed Hank there two days before my review, too.)

Check out Hank's website here: http://www.hankphillippiryan.com/

She blogs here: http://www.hankphillippiryan.com/blog.php

And at Jungle Red (with several other authors whose names you will recognize): http://www.jungleredwriters.com/2009/08/its-time-for-air-time-book-three-in.html

This is from Hank's website:

Here's what most people don't know: As a result of a summer job at the Dairy Queen, I can make an ice cream cone with a curl on the top. I was vice-president of the Midwest chapter of the National Beatles Fan Club, and figured I would one day marry George. Or Paul. Or John. When I was ten, my career ambition was to be Nancy Drew. 

But that's not how it turned out. Yet. 

Right now, I'm on the air at Boston's NBC affiliate, where I've been working to break big stories for the past 22 years. So far, so good. Along with my 26 EMMYs, I've won dozens of other regional, national and international honors for what the news releases call my "hard-hitting investigations." I'm also proud of my 10 or so Edward R. Murrow Awards for reporting and writing, my top award from the National Association of Science Writers, and my prestigious Investigative Reporters and Editors Award. I'm also proud that my consumer investigative reporting has changed laws and changed lives. 

PRIME TIME is actually not my first encounter with publishing. That was in 1969, when my best friend and I got summer jobs as proofreaders, and wound up reading the entire Indiana Code of Laws out loud. Including punctuation. 

Since then, I've been a radio reporter, a legislative aide in the United States Senate, and in a two-year stint in Rolling Stone Magazine's Washington Bureau, worked on the political column "Capitol Chatter" and organized presidential campaign coverage for Hunter S. Thompson. 

I began my TV career in 1975, anchoring and reporting the news for TV stations in Indianapolis and then Atlanta. I've battled my way through hurricanes, floods and blizzards, wired myself with hidden cameras, chased criminals and confronted corrupt politicians—as well as covering national political conventions, the NBA playoffs and the Super Bowl; and interviewing newsmakers from Prince Charles to President Jimmy Carter to Warren Beatty to Muhammad Ali. 

I grew up in the Indianapolis area, and some of my family is still there. After a complicated high school career, (which included the Honor Society, detention, a stint as a majorette (oh, yes) and being voted 'Most Original,') I went to Western College for Women in Oxford, Ohio. There I majored in Shakespeare, which was in the school's catalogue, and in 'independent reading and listening to rock and roll records,' which was not a course the school knew it was offering. Sometimes I even attended classes. I also studied abroad at the International School in Hamburg, Germany. 

Outside Channel 7? I'm on the Board of Directors of New England Sisters in Crime, and also of the New England Chapter of Mystery Writers of America. I'm also vice-president of the board of the Lyric Stage of Boston, a professional theater company. There, I founded the Lyric's "First Curtain" program, which we created to provide the full theater experience for underprivileged students. In fact, through our fundraising and promotional efforts, First Curtain has already provided hundreds of free tickets and theater education scholarships. 

I live in the Boston area with my husband, a nationally renowned civil rights and criminal defense attorney. As you can imagine, it's pretty handy to have a legal expert on call at all hours. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Featured Book for September: AIR TIME by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Forgot to mention something important -- Hank also blogs with the Femmes Fatales

http://femmesfatales.typepad.com/my_weblog/

(Sorry, I'm frazzled. I'm jumping back and forth between this board, the Garden Book Club board and Facebook as I try to get everything "up" at once! )

Okay, more about Hank -- here are links to some interviews with her:

http://www.bookpleasures.com/websitepublisher/articles/767/1/Meet-Hank-Phillippi-Ryan-author-of-the-...

http://www.hankphillippiryan.com/globe1.html

Those of you who read Romantic Times will recognize this cover photo of Hank on the new issue:

RT cover

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's Hank's bio from the website of her day job:

Hank Phillippi Ryan

7NEWS Investigative Reporter

Hank Phillippi Ryan changes laws and changes lives. She's recovered millions of dollars for scammed consumers, saved dozens of homes from foreclosure, sent wrong-doers to prison and forced state officials to resign. She is widely regarded as one of the most hard-hitting, informative investigative reporters in the region, having won numerous awards for her work. Her leading-edge consumer and investigative reports, "Hank Investigates," have become not only widely acclaimed, but also viewers' favorites.

Hank is a highly prized reporter with more than 50 prestigious awards from news organizations all over the world, including 26 Emmy awards. Most recently, she won an Emmy for her investigative and consumer reporting, including an exposé of the failures of the state's 911 emergency system, and a hidden camera investigation revealing widespread deceptive pricing. She also won a recent Edward R. Murrow Award, her 10th, for her investigative series "Cause for Alarm," which revealed extensive staffing and equipment dangers in fire departments across Massachusetts. "Cause for Alarm" was also honored in world-wide competition with the first place award from the International Firefighters Association. After breaking a highly acclaimed investigative series exposing unregulated home improvement contractors, who ripped off home owners in three of Boston's poorest neighborhoods, three new laws were passed.

Before joining 7NEWS in 1982, Hank was a reporter and anchor at WSB-TV in Atlanta, Georgia, she also worked at WTHR-TV in Indianapolis, Indiana and on Capitol Hill as a legislative assistant to a subcommittee of the US Senate Judiciary Committee. Hank also covered Washington D.C. as an editorial assistant at Rolling Stone Magazine. She wrote and edited a column called "Capitol Chatter" an inside look at D.C. politics. She also helped organize the presidential campaign coverage for Hunter S. Thompson. Hank grew up in the Indianapolis area, attended Western College for Women in Oxford, Ohio, and studied abroad at the International School in Hamburg, Germany.

She is also a best-selling mystery author, winning the prestigious AGATHA Award for Best First Novel with her debut PRIME TIME. Three more books in her highly regarded series will be published in 2009 and 2010.

Hank resides in a Boston suburb with her husband.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hank - I could go on with these links for hours, but I can always add more later. Welcome -- officially -- to the Mystery Book Club!  You've been here often enough that you are a familiar . . . well, I don't know if I can say "face," but your name is familiar to many of our regulars, at least. 

I'm sure the station's bio left a lot out. Tell us a little about yourself, and what led you to write this fantastic series.

(I'll be back!)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Air Time

Face Time It does help if I post links to the books (duh!):

Prime Time

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My welcome message to Hank  is buried a couple of posts back -- can I help it if there is so much to share with you all? Speaking of sharing, I had the great pleasure of meeting Hank at RWA National in Washington, DC in July. Here is a goofy picture of Hank, Michelle Buonfiglio and me, taken at the Harlequin 60th Anniversary party.

IMG_0122.JPG
Contributor
tonyak11
0 Kudos

Hi Becke! I love the picture of the three of you. Hank is such a classy woman. Thanks for having her this month!!

Contributor
tonyak11
0 Kudos

WOW! She is a very busy woman and you would never know it. She is inspiring!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke and I'm juiced. Hank is one of my all time favs and I'm going to be starting Air Time probably tonight I have to finish Declan Hughes's All the Dead Voices first.

But hers will be the first book of my 10,000 pages challenge for Cystic Fibrosis that we're doing this month.

Can't wait to talk about it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Tonya and Debbie! Hank is amazing, isn't she? After reading her books, I have a better idea of how time-consuming her job is. I don't know where she finds the time to write, especially since she does so much else, too!

Glad you like the picture, Tonya. I think my critique partner, Rosie, took the shot, which explains our expressions!

Debbie, I'm doing the Unleash Your Story challenge, too. If any of you are interested in joining us, you can sign up for Michelle Buonfiglio's team, too: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Heart-to-Heart/Just-Beggin-for-It/ba-p/384145

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Look what I just found!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Hi Tonya and Debbie! Hank is amazing, isn't she? After reading her books, I have a better idea of how time-consuming her job is. I don't know where she finds the time to write, especially since she does so much else, too!

Glad you like the picture, Tonya. I think my critique partner, Rosie, took the shot, which explains our expressions!

Debbie, I'm doing the Unleash Your Story challenge, too. If any of you are interested in joining us, you can sign up for Michelle Buonfiglio's team, too: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Heart-to-Heart/Just-Beggin-for-It/ba-p/384145

I'm on Michelle's team too Becke!!!

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan

Hi everyone!

Oh,. my goodness I am so thrilled to be here. Thank you, Becke!  (And those photos brought back some truly fond memories.  There are lots more on my blog! )

Anyway--wow. It is so nice to see you all, and i feel as if I am truly making some wonderful new friends.

And I must say--that video you found, Becke, means you're an investigative reporter, too! I love that promo, but it  is a tad from the past--can you believe my hair? (And I wish you could get a better glimpse of the hulking shoulder pads in my jackets.) But that devotion to journalism is still going strong--it's what I still do every day, and the possibilityi of my next great story is denifntely what keeps me going!   (I'll see if I can put up my newest promo...)

(The book video is courtesy of MIRA, my wonderful publishers! How cool of them to make a video for me! It was quite a surprise!)

I live just outside of Boston, with my husband Jonathan. He's an amazing criminal defense and civil rights attorney--started his career in the south doing civil rights work, and has even handled a few cases in the US Supreme Court. NOw he does everything from murders to white-collar crime to employment discrimination to class actions and federal whistleblower cases.  Everyone says he looks just like Donald Sutherland. (Becke, don't you think so?)

So--PRIME TIME. I "ve always always wanted to write mystery novels, ever since I was a kid--and read my first Nancy Drew.

So let's have a count--who's read NAncy Drew?Who liked her? (Who thought it was Clue in the Dairy and not Clue in the Diary? I did--and spent much of the book looking for the cows. Oh, well.)

And has anyone read the Nancy Drews recently? The old ones--and the new ones?  The old ones, although full of noxtaliga and pretty hilarious, can also be a bit weird now--stilted and odd.  And the new ones--well, huh. Everyone knows NAncy did NOT have a cell phone.

But all those years as reporter--30 plus, so far, amazingly--I just did not have a good idea for a mystery plot. And I was happy happy happy with my job writing reality and breaking big stories..

The one day at Channel 7, I got a SPAM email. ANd the message in the spam was--well, wait. Who's read PRIME TIME so far? And who's stll reading?

xoxox Hank

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

My hand is up and waving madly -- definitely a Nancy Drew girl here. I didn't mess up "dairy" and "diary;" in my case, I was busy trying to figure out how to pronounce words like "coupe" and "hearth." I LOVED the titles of those books -- so evocative!

Wow, no wonder your books are so packed with legal details! I was so impressed by the detail in your books -- particularly in AIR TIME. I credited it to your experiences as an investigative reporter, but maybe a little of Jonathan's job has rubbed off on you. (BTW -- my dad is Hank and my son is Jonathan; I think we're getting a little incestuous here.)

You didn't have an idea for a mystery plot? Well, you sure seem to have plenty now! AIR TIME really connected with me, for a lot of reasons. One, I sometimes let all my different freelance jobs spill over into my family time, and my husband is exceedingly patient with me when that happens. So there were a lot of things in this story that made me stand back and take a look at myself, not in a good way. (The book was good, but I'm not always good about setting boundaries with my time.)

Also -- the whole fake vs. real thing. I love the way you made it not just about the counterfeit bags, but carried it over into relationships, too. Brilliant writing! As to the bags - I confess to owning two. I didn't buy them, they were souvenirs from trips to China and Morocco that were given to me as gifts. I liked them for the thought behind the gift, not for the knock-off aspects of the bags. One was given to me because it had cherries on it, in fact -- it was only a coincidence that a famous designer used them in their designs. And now I'll feel guilty if I use them!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

And yes, Jonathan does look like Donald Sutherland!!

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan

Yeah--maybe we should chat about who has a knock-off designer bag!(I sure do..and it was BEFORE my stories about them...)

Couple of  things make them so desirable--one, the real ones are so expensive. ANd some peple think: well, I wouldnt possibly buy a real one, so the high-fashion companies aren't losing out on my money--they wouldn't have gotten it anyway.

It's also difficult (some people say) to feel sorry for a big company like SONY or Chanel when you buy a copy of a DVD or a purse--after all, people think, what's one little copy with all that money? 

ANd think of all the lawsuits an legal battles over illegal music downloading--its all in the same realm.  (Hmm..wonder if could make a mystery about that...)

But really, when it comes to knock-off purses, most often you can tell.  ONe thing we learned in doing our research for the stories is the "tells" that prove whether a bag is authentic. (Every designer puts them in the bags.)  ANd some of those are revealed in AIR TIME!

When it comes to purses--Do you thnk you can tell the real thing?

xoxo Hank

Hank
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
dhaupt

Welcome Hank, and hi all my friends at mystery.

I have to admit to having two knock off bags, one's a Gucci and one's a Louis Vitton. But in my defense I bought them about 30 or so years ago before they were illegal to own, bought them right out in the open of a small boutique shop,  the sellers proudly representing them as look a likes.

And you're right Hank when first all the broo-ha-ha about it came out I was like what the heck, let the little guy have something that "looks" like something only the big guy can. And I think if it would have stayed like that, I mean only appealing to us have nots then maybe that would have been okay, but it didn't. Now there's knock off everything and the real deals are suffering for it.

It's always about greed isn't it.

I don't really know if I could tell a real one from a fake since I shop at Marshall's and buy my bags there.

I hope to start Air Time tonight. I wanted to start it last night but my husband wanted supper instead. how rude!!

Talk to you soon!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've never been able to afford the real thing (who can?), so they were completely off my radar. When my son went to China, he didn't know what to get me as a souvenir, so when he saw a cute bag with a Dolce & Gabanna label in a market in Beijing, he bought it for me. I love it -- it's really cute, but no one would mistake it for the real thing. Luckily, I don't care about that. And my daughter got me a darling fake Louis Vuitton in Morocco -- a brown bag with cherries on it (I'm in Jenny Crusie's Cherries, a sort of fan club for readers and writers) and she knew I'd love it for that reason. She also got me a scarf in the same design. Both kids said that in those countries, the fakes are sold openly and EVERYWHERE. But it's pretty clear that these aren't the real thing -- no tells needed! (I love them anyway.)  I hadn't thought about the legality of it -- customs didn't seem to have a problem with them, either. I guess most of us don't think about this topic.

And I think the music industry would be a great topic for a book!

Speaking of plot ideas, a friend of mine who lives in Holland contacted me this morning. The archeologist for her town (they have a town archeologist!!) recently dug up some artifacts that seem to be evidence of an ancient serial killer. She contacted me on Facebook and said, "This would make a great mystery story -- do you know someone who wants to write it?" I told her I'd pass it on, and there you are. Probably not up Hank's alley, but the rest of you -- give it your best shot!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

For those of you who haven't read AIR TIME yet, I have to share the first line with you -- I love it!

"It's never a good thing when the flight attendant is crying." 

Isn't that fabulous?

Author
Annette_Blair
0 Kudos

I wanted to stop in and say hello to Hank.  Hey Hank (Annette waving).  We've had an opportunity to do some promo together, and it's such a hoot that we're the two featured authors this month.  I mean, out of all the mystery authors that might have been here, we know each other.  How cool is that.

Air time sounds wonderful, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.  Hugs,

Annette

Learn more about NAKED DRAGON.

Annette Blair, National Bestseling Author
A VEILED DECEPTION, 1st Vintage Magic Mystery, Jan '09, RT TOP PICK
LARCENY AND LACE, 2nd Vintage Magic Mystery, Aug '09
DEATH BY DIAMONDS, 3rd Vintage Magic Mystery, July '10
NAKED DRAGON, A Works Like Magick Novel, Jan '10
www.annetteblair.com