Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Featured New Release: HUMAN REMAINS by Elizabeth Haynes

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Featured New Release: HUMAN REMAINS by Elizabeth Haynes

From her website:

About

Elizabeth HaynesMy name is Elizabeth Haynes and I’m a writer living in Kent, in the South East of England.

I’ve been writing stories as long as I’ve been able to write. I remember my stories being passed around the playground at school, who knows – somebody reading this may remember that too. You may have chosen to forget. I bought a second-hand electric typewriter when I was about thirteen, possibly from a jumble sale, more likely from the Friday-Ad. It was supposed to be portable but I could barely lift it. I spent many a happy rainy weekend hammering out masterpieces on it, not having any clear purpose in mind, it was just something I had to do.

In October 2005 a friend introduced me to National Novel Writing Month ( www.nanowrimo.org ), the site I’d been waiting for all my life. It’s an annual challenge to write 50,000 words in the month of November. There is no grand prize other than the right to call yourself a novelist at the end of it; no reason to do it other than for the sense of achievement you get afterwards. The novel doesn’t have to be good, it just has to be written. And who knows, at the end of it you might have something worth editing. The whole point is just to get over writer’s block, to get over the self-doubt – to carry on even thought it feels like what’s being written is rubbish.

In 2005 I wrote a laughable serial killer-thriller in which the characters consisted entirely of people I knew. I also had two characters called Simon, which was a huge mistake. I thought I’d been extra clever, since in real life we all have friends with the same name, don’t we? But it doesn’t happen in novels, for a good reason. It’s horrendously confusing, and of course can’t be easily fixed by using Find/Replace!

Nevertheless, I did it – I wrote 50,000 words in a month, the story had a beginning, a middle and an ending (although a hard disk failure meant I lost the last 5,000 words – learn from me – back up, back up, back up.)

In 2006 I had a pretty decent plot and some good characters. By the end of November I’d written more than 50,000 words and I was less than half way through the actual story.

In 2007 I cheated and carried on writing the 2006 novel, which hadn’t been touched for a year. I don’t recommend cheating at NaNoWriMo, in whatever form. It’s not nearly so much fun. In any case, I got to the end of the month and I was up to 130,000 words and still hadn’t finished it.

In 2008 I wrote the first draft of Into the Darkest Corner. I enjoyed writing it, and at the beginning of December I thought my 56,000 words weren’t half bad. I left it alone for a few months and then started tinkering with it again, adding some scenes and moving other bits about. Two of my friends were badgered into reading it, and to my surprise they both liked it. I started wondering if it might actually be worth trying to edit it, to see if it was something I could actually send off. Unfortunately I’m useless at editing, so I got some help from Greg Mosse, who very kindly put me in touch with Myriad Editions, and after that things got very exciting indeed.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Her blog is here: http://www.elizabeth-haynes.com/blog/

*Elizabeth will be in the States in September for Bouchercon, the year’s biggest mystery/thriller convention.  She will be in NYC for 2 days – September 17th and 18th, and then in Albany, NY from September 19th-22nd at Bouchercon, and finally in the DC/VA area from the 22nd until September 24th for a couple of events.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Human Remains  

Overview

New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Haynes returns with a disturbing and powerful tale that preys on our darkest fears.

Police analyst Annabel wouldn't describe herself as lonely. Her work and the needs of her aging mother keep her busy. But Annabel is shocked when she discovers her neighbor's decomposing body in the house next door, and she is appalled to think that no one, including herself, noticed the woman's absence. Annabel sets out to investigate, despite her colleagues' lack of interest, and discovers that such cases are frighteningly common in her hometown.

A chilling thriller and a hymn to all the lonely people whose individual voices haunt its pages,Human Remains shows how vulnerable we are when we live alone, and how easily ordinary lives can fall apart when no one is watching.

From the author's website:

Inspiration

Having written two books which were essentially about relationships, I wanted to explore what happens to us in the absence of them; so Human Remains is about people who are for various reasons living an isolated existence without social contact. Instead of two timelines, I have two narrators in this book, both of whom are also lonely for different reasons. Annabel is a police analyst who spots an increase in the number of people who have died in their own homes and remained undiscovered until they are in advanced decomposition. Colin, the other narrator, is a clever, socially awkward man who may or may not be the cause of this alarming statistic…

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Wow, that sounds like a good book...I'll have to check on that one.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Wow, that sounds like a good book...I'll have to check on that one.

It's in my to-be-read pile. I must remember to read it when Marty's not out of town!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Welcome, Elizabeth. I enjoyed reading your story. That's inspirtion for any wannabe writer!

Enjoy Bouchercon! (Have you ever attended a mystery conference before?)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Rats! That should have been INSPIRATION, not inspirtion. I do know how to spell, but my fingers don't always hit the right keys! Hah!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie