Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Featured New Release: NOT DEAD YET by Peter James

[ Edited ]

NOT DEAD YET by Peter James:

The trade paperback of Not Dead Yet comes out on Tuesday: Roy Grace tracks a stalker obsessed with a Hollywood starlet in Not Dead Yet, the latest from #1 international bestselling author Peter James.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Featured New Release: NOT DEAD YET by Peter James

WHO IS PETER JAMES?

International best-selling crime thriller novelist published in 36 languages   

- See more at: http://www.peterjames.com/about#sthash.bCYPifzA.dpuf

BIOGRAPHY

Born:

Brighton, Sussex, England

Educated:

Charterhouse, then Ravensbourne Film School.

Parents:

My mother, Cornelia James (d.)1999 was Glovemaker to Her Majesty the Queen running the business with my late father who was a chartered accountant. The firm is today run by my sister, Genevieve and her husband, and still supplies the Royal Family, and there were plenty of our gloves on display during the recent Jubilee. All those wonderful waves by Her Majesty on the boat on the Thames, were in Cornelia James gloves! There is a tenuous but classy link between gloves and one particularly great writer (not that I would dare put myself in his league): Shakespeare's father was a glove maker!

Animals:

Phoebe, a German Shepherd with a gorgeous temperament, unless you are unfortunate enough to have been born as a rabbit or a burglar… Oscar, a rescue Labrador/something cross who was found abandoned on the streets of Havant. He's so chilled out at times we think he secretly does drugs... And, Coco a Shih Tzu/Poodle cross – called a Shi-Pu! She is utterly adorable, and very feisty.

Home:

I lived for 10 years in a very haunted Georgian manor house, near Ditchling, Sussex. It was converted from a monastery built on the site of Roman ruins, and had the ghost of a Centurion, a monk, a baby and a nasty, man-hating grey lady! Then moved to a group of converted farm buildings on a historic site outside Lewes, which were occupied by a whole bunch of ghosts of victims of the Battle of Lewes, but they were politely evicted. My Sussex home is now a Victorian rectory and so far ghost free, as is my apartment in Notting Hill, London, on the site of a former cinema. No spectral screenings yet during the night, but always hoping...

Made publishing history:

In 1994, in addition to conventional print publishing, Penguin published my novel, Host, on two floppy discs, billing it as "the world's first electronic novel." It caused huge controversy, I was pilloried on the Radio 4 Today Programme for attempting to destroy the novel, and I was front page news on many papers around the globe, all equally furious! In the immediate following years I became a media spokesperson for the electronic publishing age, and in 1996 found myself as a keynote speaker at a conference at UCLA on the future of reading, alongside (gulp) Steve Jobs and the CEO of Time Warner!

Charities:

I am joint patron of Neighbourhood Watch, nationwide, joint patron of Sussex Crimestoppers, patron of The Whitehawk Inn, joint patron of the Friends of Seaford Library, Vice President of The Old Police Cells Museum, Brighton, an Ambassador for Brighton University, and a Martlets Hospice Champion.

Other charities I actively support are The Sussex Community Foundation, The Backup Trust for Spinal Injuries, The Chichester Life Centre, the Book Trade Benevolent Society, Starehe Boys' Centre in Kenya and Action Medical Research (supported by my annual Peter James Golf Classic).

- See more at: http://www.peterjames.com/about#sthash.bCYPifzA.dpuf

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Check out Peter's complete book list here: http://www.peterjames.com/books

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Not Dead Yet (Roy Grace Series #8)  

Overview

In the latest from #1 international bestselling author Peter James, Not Dead Yet, Roy Grace tracks a stalker obsessed with a Hollywood starlet.

Days before one of Hollywood’s hottest stars, Gaia Lafayette, leaves home for a movie role on location in Brighton, England, there is a bungled attempt on her life. The whole city of Brighton awaits Gaia’s arrival, including her dangerously obsessive Number One fan looking for revenge and an anxious Detective Superintendent Roy Grace, charged with protecting Gaia.

When a mutilated torso is found on a chicken farm miles away in the countryside, Roy Grace has no reason at all to connect this to the star’s visit to the county. But as events rapidly begin to unfold, Roy Grace and his police team find themselves in a desperate race against time to save Gaia’s life from a clever maniac who will stop at nothing to kill her.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Check back next week for more details about...

Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace Series #9)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's an excerpt of Peter's upcoming release, DEAD MAN'S TIME, courtesy of his publisher:

Brooklyn, February 1922

The boy’s father kissed him goodnight for the last time – although
neither of them knew that.

The boy never went to sleep until he had had that kiss. Every
night, late, long after he had gone to bed, he would lie waiting
in the darkness, until he heard the door of his room open, and
saw the light flood in from the landing. Then the shadowy figure
and the sound of his father’s heavy footsteps across the bare boards.

‘Hey, little guy, you still awake?’ he would say in his low, booming
voice.

‘Yep, big guy, I am! Can I see your watch?’

His father would take out the watch from his pocket, and hold
it up by the chain. It was shiny, with a big, round face, and there
was a winder on the top with a hoop the chain was attached to. In
the top half of the face was a section that showed the phases of the
moon. The sky behind the moon was dark blue and the stars were
gold. Sometimes the moon was barely visible, just peeping out.

Other times it was whole, an ochre disc.

Every night the boy would ask his father to tell him a story
about the Man in the Moon. His father always did. Then he would
tousle his hair, kiss him on the forehead and ask, ‘You said your
prayers?’

The boy would nod.

‘You go to sleep now.’

Then his father would clump back out of the room and close
the door.

That’s how it was the very last time.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

The series sounds good, Becke.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

The series sounds good, Becke.

I agree - I love thrillers!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Be sure to check out this new release - it's available for Nook at a promotional price of 99 cents!

Perfect People  

Overview

In Peter James' Perfect People, when a young couple learn they are both carriers of a gene likely to give their children a rare genetic disease, they visit a secret clinic for a ‘designer baby.' But it does not all work out as planned...

After the death of their four-year-old son from a rare genetic disorder, John and Naomi Klaesson learn that if they have another baby there’s a high risk the same thing will happen. Desperate to avoid going through the pain of losing another child, the couple visit a clinic located on a converted cruise ship in international waters, free from any legal restraints, run by a maverick geneticist, Dr. Leo Dettore. For $400,000, they can choose all the genes of their child—literally have a designer baby. However, they don't want half the choices on offer, they just want a healthy child. Dettore tells them that if they don't do all they can, they will risk their child being born in a genetic "underclass" because so many parents will be enhancing theirs...

On returning home to LA, their first shock is that instead of being pregnant with the son they wanted, Naomi finds she is having twins. When John, drunk, admits to a journalist they are having a designer baby, it gets into the press and they start to be hunted by a group of religious fanatics who are violently against tampering with nature or God's will.... They flee to the UK to get away, and John takes up a research post in Sussex.

The kids are born - a boy and girl - and very soon he and Naomi realise they are not just bright, they are unnervingly intelligent—even at a few years old already smarter than their parents in many ways. The teacher asks them to take them out of school as they frighten other children. One morning, John finds they have killed and postmortemed their pet guinea pigs, and they don't understand why he is angry at them. So far as they were concerned, they were doing research.