Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Army/Navy Game

Becke, I feel better today thanks to cold remedies. It rained a little yesterday but we are 9.5 inches deficit of rain. We haven't had a decent rain since September and it seems when fronts come through holding a lot of rain, the moisture dries up and we get very little rain. But it is cold here and will get colder tomorrow. Nice change from the near 70 temps we were having.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Patti's project

Patti:

Very beautiful!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Army/Navy Game

maxcat wrote:

Becke, I feel better today thanks to cold remedies. It rained a little yesterday but we are 9.5 inches deficit of rain. We haven't had a decent rain since September and it seems when fronts come through holding a lot of rain, the moisture dries up and we get very little rain. But it is cold here and will get colder tomorrow. Nice change from the near 70 temps we were having.

Glad you're feeling better!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

maxcat, thanks, I love her. I think she is very mysterious. I will be so happy when I get it done. I working on trying to get it done by August of next year for our Somerset County Fair.

I also need to get a frame.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

eadieburke, Thanks, I love this project but it is a big one. It will be the biggest one I have ever done.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone, the B & B is finalizing the finishing touches for our ball on Sat nigt. Ladies I hope you have your dresses, guys I hope you got thoses tuxes.

It should be a great time.

The Holiday Barbies are here already and the Blythe dolls are coming today. They are ready to party.

The ballrooms are decorated and look gorgeous.

We are going to have food for everyone. Plus drinks and plenty of desserts.

I am so excited.

Lucinda and the Captain are getting ready to come too.

For those new to our village, we have a resident ghost couple that live in room 21. They are Lucinda and her Captain. They are harmless and just love that someone has come to take care of their beloved B & B and their village. They make an appearance at our annual ball and have their own dance. It was very clear to us all how much they love each other and how happy they are and how happy they are that they found each other again.

So everyone come to the Third Annual Mimosa Village Winter/Christmas Ball.

Gifts and crackers for everyone.

Fireworks at the end of the evening with carols around a bonfire on the beach. Weather permitting.

Merry Christmas

ReadingPatti

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone, I am done with my Christmas shopping. I finished on Thurs. I am glad that is done. I got my hair cut on Tues after work last week then I colored it on Fri. I am doing it myself as I need to watch my money.

I am working on my stitching project. I am working on the big red flower. I have some of the center done. It is coming along very nicely.

I have my book club from the library on Thurs. We are going to a local restaurant. We did this last year and had a nice time.

So take care and see you at our ball.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Oh, I am sooo ready to party on Mimosa Island!

Maxcat, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. It's no fun being sick during the holiday season.

Reading Patti, I have just finished TWO Cross-Stitch projects. One I had started years ago, and had at least half-finished. It was supposed to be for my nephew's baptism. Unfortunately that was the year my best friend died, and I was left in a blue funk and in no mood to continue working on either Needlepoint or Cross-stitching. I was rather bemused this past summer to realize that I once again felt I could take on a Needle project. Well, to make a long story shorter, I refined the original cross-stitch project. It still has the original Celtic Blessing/poem, but I added his wife's name to his, and turned the left border into a running alphabet/numbers, with the right border being his wife's last name, his last name, and other info like where they were married. Under their names at the bottom I included the date they were married, and under that my name and the date I finished stitiching. The original project was in shades of blue, and I used green for the bride's name and for the stitches that meet the blue on top, as green is the color of Venus. Now I need to get that framed.Don't know at this point if I'll have enough money to get it framed at Michael's or not, so am not sure if they are going to get it as a Christmas present or not. It might end up being a rather late house-warming gift, or even a Christmas present for next year.

The other project is one welcoming my new great-niece into the world. It started out fairly stark, with just the welcome words and her name. Then I saw a design for a Mary Engelbreit angel, that was holding up a heart,  in one of my Cross-stitch books, and I just basically went wild from there. Now I have a little scene in the middle of the project, with hearts hanging down, tied with bows at the top, and birds helping to bring a heart in to be tied up. That heart they are carrying is colored purple, in memory of my Dad's brother, who was killed in Korea, and on whose birthday my great-niece was born. I also have another bird swooping down beside my niece's name, and this one is carrying a sprig of Rosemary, in remembrance of my neice-in-law's grandmother, who died last May, of breast cancer. So glad I finally got that done! Now, like the other project, I just need to get it framed.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Fricka, Sounds like you have been stitching up a storm. I am glad that you made your projects so personal and family oriented.

I am working on on red flower of my lady I am stitching. I am getting the center of the flower done. This is on the fan.

I need to think about a frame too. I need a big one. The Lady that you see here is going to be 20 by 30 inches when done. So I need a a frame bigger than that and I need to decide if I want a mat or not.

I would like a simple black one with no mat.

But is will see once I get the picture done.

I hope to have it done by August for our Somerset County Fair.

What will you be stitching next?

Talk to you soon

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bling for the Christmas Ball

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fancy Christmas Party Nails

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Fancy Christmas Party Nails

becke_davis wrote:

Love the bling and the party nails, becke. I would soooo wear nails like the two shown at the top, cor Christmas celebrating, provided I could find the press-on temporary nails for those. I don't have an awful lot of bling-y Christmas jewelry, but I do have some green and red costume jewelry that I can put together. Things are pretty casual here in the Southwest, though, so I have to tone down a lot from what I would maybe wear in another part of the country. The nails, though, I think would be a hoot!

Reading Patti, I am first going to concentrate on getting my two projects framed. After that I want to do a project for ME which will be a collection of some of my favorite quotes, most of which have to do with reading.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone, is everybody ready for Christmas? I am even down to wrapping the gifts. What's left is cooking Christmas dinner for my daughter and son-in-law. I had a busy weekend in that we had a Christmas breakfast to go to and Sunday was a day of football...Carolina Panthers won again! 

My thoughts and prayers go out to the town of Newtown, CT. That was just an evil act that should never had happened. And I think how vulnerable we are to these acts. The thought came to me today at gym in that anyone could walk through the front doors and start firing at people and there is no place to hide there unless you are in the locker rooms in the back. It's a frightening thing to think about in this day and age.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

One year I got a pedicure and had glittery Christmas trees painted on my toenails. I do like to sparkle! Here are some festive feet:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Fancy Christmas Party Shoes for the Mystery Forum Virtual Christmas Ball!

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi to all,
Sorry I've been out of the loop. I was in New York City last week visiting a friend. A great time was had. Is everyone ready for the holidays?
I have managed to complete my shopping for the holidays today! Everything is purchased, paid for, and wrapped! Yahoo!

Now I must get the house ready for a family get together this weekend. If I don't return to our favorite page here, let me take this opportunity to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season!

Happy Holidays!

jim

P. S. I really am liking those blue shoes! Very classy!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi, everyone, is everybody ready for Christmas? I am even down to wrapping the gifts. What's left is cooking Christmas dinner for my daughter and son-in-law. I had a busy weekend in that we had a Christmas breakfast to go to and Sunday was a day of football...Carolina Panthers won again! 

My thoughts and prayers go out to the town of Newtown, CT. That was just an evil act that should never had happened. And I think how vulnerable we are to these acts. The thought came to me today at gym in that anyone could walk through the front doors and start firing at people and there is no place to hide there unless you are in the locker rooms in the back. It's a frightening thing to think about in this day and age.

I am a bit more ready for Christmas after today, maxcat, as I helped my parents celebrate their 64th wedding anniversary today. I got their Christmas present today--the same thing as I got them for their anniversary-- a gift card from the Olive Garden. At least I know they will use it and enjoy using it.

maxcat, I agee with your thoughts about how vulnerable we are, and especially our students in school.Who needs foreign terrorists when we have our own monsters here at home?

After the shooting in Tucson last year, and all of the information on the deranged gunman, Jared Loughner, came out,  like how the community college in Tucson had to expel him, and some of his classmates were concerned about just such actions as he showed at the Safeway center, I started noticing how open everything is at the college where I work. As far as I can remember, we have never even had a fire drill, let alone a drill to evacuate the campus in case of a shooting attack. The "security guards" on campus do not carry weapons, so what they could do against someone armed to the teeth like that young man in Newtown was, I have no idea. My thought is that they basically are on campus to patrol the parking lots and make sure cars don't get stolen, or checking to make sure cars have the proper stickers on the windshields to show the person has legitimately enrolled. All of this makes me wonder if that is not indeed the case at most public schools today--that whatever "security guards" are working school grounds, they lack training and ability to face an attack from any determined nut-case with weapons. Kind of makes those parents who have chosen to home school look a lot wiser than many parents who trustingly send their darlings off to what they've thought of as a safe haven.

Just repeating the same old mantra about gun control won't do the trick, either. While I do think we need to change lawa so that ordinary folk can't get their hands on assault type weapons, it's clear that as a country, we need to do more about mental health issues and our culture of violence as found in computer games, television, and films. I note that several production companies have postponed releasing some of the films that were scheduled to be released this week, on account of the violent content. That's a step in the right direction, but why don't we have more stringent controls over the violent content our youngsters are allowed to view, and while we're at it, why are current gun-control and motion picture  ratings so seldom followed? We have made laws and rules before, but if they aren't going to be upheld, what good will new laws and rules do? We really need to have a national discussion on this, but I'm holding my breath-- I am concerned that one or both political parties is going to muck this up by bringing politics into it.What we have is not so much a politcal problem as moral, social, and yes, even spirtual.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Happy holidays, Jim and hope you have a great Christmas.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Jimcolombo wrote:

Hi to all,
Sorry I've been out of the loop. I was in New York City last week visiting a friend. A great time was had. Is everyone ready for the holidays?
I have managed to complete my shopping for the holidays today! Everything is purchased, paid for, and wrapped! Yahoo!

Now I must get the house ready for a family get together this weekend. If I don't return to our favorite page here, let me take this opportunity to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season!

Happy Holidays!

jim

Glad to hear you had a great time in NYC AND got all your Christmas shopping done, Jim! Good for you!  Hope you have a good visit with your family members this weekend.

Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings to you also!

P.S. So, you like those blue shoes, huh? Those heels look awfully steep to me; in fact, I was nearly ready to comment that while becke's pictures of high-heeled shoes looked festive, none of them looked very practical to me. The one set that I think I would have a hope of keeping on my feet without tumbling over would be the Red ones. However, now that I think of it, way back in my salad days, I had a room-mate in college one year who was about 5' or maybe 5'1 at her tallest, but because she was always wearing really high heeled shoes, when we stood next to each other, there wasn't such a disparity in our heights. So I could see some shorter women really going for some of those shoes. I, however, have gone the other direction and prefer flats or at least shoes that don't have more than a 2" heel, if that. Now if they would only make a pair of nice ballet- type shoes in that blue color, I'd be interested, I guess.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Jimcolombo wrote:

Hi to all,

Happy Holidays!

jim

Glad to hear you had a great time in NYC AND got all your Christmas shopping done, Jim! Good for you!  Hope you have a good visit with your family members this weekend.

Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings to you also!

P.S. So, you like those blue shoes, huh? Those heels look awfully steep to me; in fact, I was nearly ready to comment that while becke's pictures of high-heeled shoes looked festive, none of them looked very practical to me. The one set that I think I would have a hope of keeping on my feet without tumbling over would be the Red ones. However, now that I think of it, way back in my salad days, I had a room-mate in college one year who was about 5' or maybe 5'1 at her tallest, but because she was always wearing really high heeled shoes, when we stood next to each other, there wasn't such a disparity in our heights. So I could see some shorter women really going for some of those shoes. I, however, have gone the other direction and prefer flats or at least shoes that don't have more than a 2" heel, if that. Now if they would only make a pair of nice ballet- type shoes in that blue color, I'd be interested, I guess.

I'm 5' 8" so I rarely wear really high heels in real life (not anymore, that is) but for the Christmas Ball, I was looking for glam rather than practicality!