Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Max's birthday

Forgive me,  becke. I did not get that extra "a" in your grand-daughter's name on that third line. That should be ADALINE, not "Adline" ! Geeeez. Think it must be time for a nap now! :catembarrassed:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Fricka, I have not heard from you in a long time. I see you on other boards but not here. Thanks for your comments on the near accident and there is nothing hokey about your saying. Max is okay, still breathing and actually kind of played with a ball Friday night. It had texture to it and he kept picking it up and dropping it. He moved the ball about 3 feet. My husband took a picture but it was sort of dark. He didn't want to get closer for fear of scaring the cat away.

I hope everything is well on your end, healthwise and etc.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke and Patti, it does not look as though there are any Sweet Frog frozen yogurt shops in Arizona. Rats.

becke, I understand completely about your having to pay attention to Adline. Besides being her doting grandmother, babysitting in general for a toddler takes total focus and attention, as the "littles" at that stage are capable of getting into all sorts of things, in very short time spans.

I remember in college babysitting for a two-year-old(one of my friends had been sitting for him and somehow convinced me that it would be a good idea for me to take her place). Thought I would get him to bed and then have some time to study. Boy, was I WRONG! Like your precious Adaline, becke, the kid was a climber. I could not take my eyes off him for more than a few seconds before  he would be in the kitchen, climbing up on something. Then he would want to go out with the dog. Then back in again.  I would get him in the den, watching TV. If I took my eyes off him for more than a few seconds,I found he was not watching TV, but back in the kitchen! By the time the babysitting session was over, I was EXHAUSTED! Oh, and I think I maybe got one page of a text book open, but that was it. Learned my lesson as far as finding out that studying and watching a toddler do NOT mix!!!!

The other day she slept for 2 1/2 hours, but I had to lay on the bed with her the whole time. I had a book by the bed but I was so tired I struggled to keep my eyes open. This is why we have kids when we're young - they take a LOT of energy!

My husband has been playing his guitar and ukulele for her a lot. She LOVES music! So guess what Grandpa bought Adaline yesterday?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Fricka, I have not heard from you in a long time. I see you on other boards but not here. Thanks for your comments on the near accident and there is nothing hokey about your saying. Max is okay, still breathing and actually kind of played with a ball Friday night. It had texture to it and he kept picking it up and dropping it. He moved the ball about 3 feet. My husband took a picture but it was sort of dark. He didn't want to get closer for fear of scaring the cat away.

Well, mostly I post on the introduction and what are you reading threads. I get on early in the morning, so that is about all my brain can handle at that time. Afraid I'm going to be gone from the entire forum for a while, as computer geek guy is coming to pick up our computer to give it a complete cleaning out.

So I'll be going through internet withdrawal for at least a few days.

My bursitis in my right arm and arthritis in my right knee have chosen this time to flare up, so I'm planning to visit our chiropractor/acupuncturist tomorrow. Who knows, maybe being forced to not utilize the keyboard and mouse for a few days might give my muscles and  joints some additonal relief. Glad to read that Max is being playful with a ball. That's always a good sign.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

becke and Patti, it does not look as though there are any Sweet Frog frozen yogurt shops in Arizona. Rats.

becke, I understand completely about your having to pay attention to Adline. Besides being her doting grandmother, babysitting in general for a toddler takes total focus and attention, as the "littles" at that stage are capable of getting into all sorts of things, in very short time spans.

I remember in college babysitting for a two-year-old(one of my friends had been sitting for him and somehow convinced me that it would be a good idea for me to take her place). Thought I would get him to bed and then have some time to study. Boy, was I WRONG! Like your precious Adaline, becke, the kid was a climber. I could not take my eyes off him for more than a few seconds before  he would be in the kitchen, climbing up on something. Then he would want to go out with the dog. Then back in again.  I would get him in the den, watching TV. If I took my eyes off him for more than a few seconds,I found he was not watching TV, but back in the kitchen! By the time the babysitting session was over, I was EXHAUSTED! Oh, and I think I maybe got one page of a text book open, but that was it. Learned my lesson as far as finding out that studying and watching a toddler do NOT mix!!!!

The other day she slept for 2 1/2 hours, but I had to lay on the bed with her the whole time. I had a book by the bed but I was so tired I struggled to keep my eyes open. This is why we have kids when we're young - they take a LOT of energy!

My husband has been playing his guitar and ukulele for her a lot. She LOVES music! So guess what Grandpa bought Adaline yesterday?

Future Music Star, in the making, becke! So cute! Where ever did your hubby find that cute guitar???

( Or are you sort of wishing he hadn't gotten it for her so you could get some time for QUIET rest???)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

maxcat wrote:

Well, mostly I post on the introduction and what are you reading threads. I get on early in the morning, so that is about all my brain can handle at that time. Afraid I'm going to be gone from the entire forum for a while, as computer geek guy is coming to pick up our computer to give it a complete cleaning out.

So I'll be going through internet withdrawal for at least a few days.

My bursitis in my right arm and arthritis in my right knee have chosen this time to flare up, so I'm planning to visit our chiropractor/acupuncturist tomorrow. Who knows, maybe being forced to not utilize the keyboard and mouse for a few days might give my muscles and  joints some additonal relief. Glad to read that Max is being playful with a ball. That's always a good sign.

Fricka - I'm sorry everything seems to be hitting you at once. I'm especially sorry you'll be away from the forum during Donis' visit! What a shame! I hope the techs get your computer working again soon.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear that you will be off the computer for a while. I hope it's not too long or you will probably go stircrazy. 

I get on during the day but after bathtime, I watch TV and knit or read. I also hope your aches and pains will go away. Here in NC, it has been a stormy weekend and our air is now on for the summer. We had the heat on at night up until a week ago and then temps went into the mid 80's and the nights have been muggy and warm.Typical summer fare. 

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Becke, Adaline is so cute. She looks like a healthy happy baby. I just bet that you have her spoiled. I can see why you moved. Who would not want to be near her and her family?

Becke, cherish her. They grow so fast.

My great niece, Cheyenne is 16. I changed her diapers and now she is driving and her own car and is working at the pet place. My God where has the time gone.

I am getting excited. A week from Fri, I get my right eye done. I can hardly wait. I start the drops on Tues.

I need to get some readers and sunglasses.

I need to get another purse. I just got one and it is falling apart already. I like it. So I am not sure what I am going to do.

Talk to you later.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Becke, Adaline is so cute. She looks like a healthy happy baby. I just bet that you have her spoiled. I can see why you moved. Who would not want to be near her and her family?

Becke, cherish her. They grow so fast.

My great niece, Cheyenne is 16. I changed her diapers and now she is driving and her own car and is working at the pet place. My God where has the time gone.

I am getting excited. A week from Fri, I get my right eye done. I can hardly wait. I start the drops on Tues.

I need to get some readers and sunglasses.

I need to get another purse. I just got one and it is falling apart already. I like it. So I am not sure what I am going to do.

Talk to you later.

ReadingPatti

Patti - Do you have a receipt for the purse that you just bought that's falling apart already? It seems like the store should exchange it for a new one.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re:Patti's Project

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Becke, I don't have the receipt. I am taking it back anyway and see if they can give me a gift card for the amount. I don't want another of those purses. I want something else. Something better made.

The picture of my stitching is not showing up.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Becke, I don't have the receipt. I am taking it back anyway and see if they can give me a gift card for the amount. I don't want another of those purses. I want something else. Something better made.

The picture of my stitching is not showing up.

ReadingPatti

Can the rest of you see the picture? I'm using Google Chrome and it DOES show up for me. Normally I would load the image from my computer but my computer is acting up.

Here's another picture from Patti - I hope you can see it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Patti's Project - New Pictures

DSCF0555.JPG
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Becke, Thanks, it finally came through.

I am very happy with how it is coming out.

I am working on the headress.

Then on the another one for next year's fair.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Becke, Thanks, it finally came through.

I am very happy with how it is coming out.

I am working on the headress.

Then on the another one for next year's fair.

ReadingPatti

I pasted in the other image, Patti. I was finally able to get this one to load on my computer.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone, been busy the past couple of weeks. Patti, your needlework is stunning and sure to win a prize.

I had my annual eye exam today and the status on my cataracts has not changed although I am having issues reading things from a distance. The optometrist gave me a new prescription and told me that I was probably 4 years away from surgery. Last year, it was 3 years. So, good news there. I think he used a new eye drop on my eyes to dilate them and they burned for a bit. I did have to use sunglasses driving home but the drops also left me with slightly blurry vision. What a joy to drive yourself home with blurry vision! Next time, my husband drives.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

maxcat, thanks, I hope it wins a ribbon too. Good to hear that you don't need cataract surgery yet. I am getting ready to have mine.

I start the drops on Tues. I have two drops and use them four times a day. I put in the one drop then five minutes later the second drop. I do this for three days then on Fri. I use one drop of each. They will call me Thurs to let me know what time to be there and what prescriptions I should take.

I am so ready to get this done. I want to see right again.

My friend, Judy is coming to get me and take me. Then my brother will take on Sat for the follow up.

Then I wait until July 5th to have the left eye done.

So good luck with yours.

Callie says to give Max a hug and a kiss from her.

ReadingPatti and Callie.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street Series #2) 

Hi, everyone, I just finished reading The Mystery Woman by Amanda Quick. Very Good. I give it 5 stars. I love her books and her characters. This is one for you TBR pile.

Worth the time the read. I will read more of her books.

ReadingPatti and Callie

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Hi, everyon, well the week has come. I start my eyes drops tomorrow. I made myself a schedule. I have two drops I do for the three days before the surgery. I do them five minutes apart. Then on Fri, I do on of each.

I am so ready. I want to see again. I am nervous and anxious too. I know that this doctor is really good.

So pray for me come Fri. I will find out the time on Thurs.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

maxcat and Reading Patti, so sorry to read about your eye problems. Hope you both have success with your medical remedies.

I want to wish everyone a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day.