dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: The Next First Look Book Club

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

*** S N O W *** is a four letter word. Ugh. I hate it. I'm in the midwest sitting at work watching the snow fall, we're expecting 6-7" overnight but only 1-2 before I leave for home. I live rural and have more trouble then most of my friends traveling on the rural roads who are second class citizens when it comes to snow removal and care. So I'll probably be looking at a two hour ride home that usually takes me 45 minutes.

Where is Spring!!!!!!!!

Drive carefully!  I want to see a post from you, after you get home!

Our sky, today, is as clear as a bell, and the hills are green from all of the rain.  But, more rain and snow to come back the rest of the week.  And sorry to say,  it all goes in your direction, once it leaves here.  Yes, Spring, I have no doubt you all are anxious for its return.  Other than the cool weather, this is our beginning of Spring.  The bulbs are starting to stretch their little green arms up towards to the sun, as I speak. 

I love this time of year.  It's the only time of year where we see changes in the weather, and the plants.  The snow caped mountains around me are also absolutely beautiful. 

I do feel a lot for the people who live in the areas where the fires were.  They experienced devastation, from the rivers of mud, to their homes this last week.  Eight feet of mud, boulders, trees, destroying homes, cars and animals.  It took everything in its wake.  This is the domino effect, the results of someone deliberately setting fires to our landscape.  Nature takes its course, whether we try to stop it, or like it or not.

Everyone, please stay dry, warm, and safe!

K.

Thanks for your concern Kathy, but I usually don't get on the computer at home the perils of dial up don't you know. But I'll be back on the boards in the am, unless of course I need to take a snow day, Then I'll brave the dial tone and post tomorrow.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

*** S N O W *** is a four letter word. Ugh. I hate it. I'm in the midwest sitting at work watching the snow fall, we're expecting 6-7" overnight but only 1-2 before I leave for home. I live rural and have more trouble then most of my friends traveling on the rural roads who are second class citizens when it comes to snow removal and care. So I'll probably be looking at a two hour ride home that usually takes me 45 minutes.

Where is Spring!!!!!!!!

Drive carefully!  I want to see a post from you, after you get home!

Our sky, today, is as clear as a bell, and the hills are green from all of the rain.  But, more rain and snow to come back the rest of the week.  And sorry to say,  it all goes in your direction, once it leaves here.  Yes, Spring, I have no doubt you all are anxious for its return.  Other than the cool weather, this is our beginning of Spring.  The bulbs are starting to stretch their little green arms up towards to the sun, as I speak. 

I love this time of year.  It's the only time of year where we see changes in the weather, and the plants.  The snow caped mountains around me are also absolutely beautiful. 

I do feel a lot for the people who live in the areas where the fires were.  They experienced devastation, from the rivers of mud, to their homes this last week.  Eight feet of mud, boulders, trees, destroying homes, cars and animals.  It took everything in its wake.  This is the domino effect, the results of someone deliberately setting fires to our landscape.  Nature takes its course, whether we try to stop it, or like it or not.

Everyone, please stay dry, warm, and safe!

K.

Thanks for your concern Kathy, but I usually don't get on the computer at home the perils of dial up don't you know. But I'll be back on the boards in the am, unless of course I need to take a snow day, Then I'll brave the dial tone and post tomorrow.

Ha!  Yes, I live with the perils of dial up each day....in case anyone wonders why I can lose my patience so easily! :smileyvery-happy:  Gads, I forgot what day it is!  It's Monday! I think I lost a day over the weekend, when my brother was here!  Two old farts talking trains....the perils of O.L.D.! 

Snow day sounds like a good reason to stay home and dial us up!  Ha!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's Cincinnati: 27°F | °C

Feels Like: 18° F

Tonight

Snow Late

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I got my copy of The Poacher's Son today - anyone else get theirs yet?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

the clock is still ticking for me Becke   tic  toc

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Well, I'm too swamped to read it yet, Deb. It will probably be a mad panic right before the discussion starts!

pen21
0 Kudos

For First Look the book is divided into sections to read. If you stick with reading a section each week, it is not so overwhelming. I tend to read other books and try to stick to that schedule, sometimes it is not easy and you just want to finish the book. Anyway Becke, don't feel overwhelmed. We don't start til March. When I get the book(hide in the pile), I will put it away so I don't get ahead of the discussion.

pen21

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Well, I'm too swamped to read it yet, Deb. It will probably be a mad panic right before the discussion starts!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

For First Look the book is divided into sections to read. If you stick with reading a section each week, it is not so overwhelming. I tend to read other books and try to stick to that schedule, sometimes it is not easy and you just want to finish the book. Anyway Becke, don't feel overwhelmed. We don't start til March. When I get the book(hide in the pile), I will put it away so I don't get ahead of the discussion.

pen21

Thanks for the reminder, pen. I tend to swallow books whole -- I'll have to remember to sample this one a bit at a time!

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Becke

I've received my copy of "The Poacher's Son"  here in Boston. It was covered by an inch or so of snow on my doorstep, so I almost missed it.

It's a lovely blue cover... I don't know why, but it struck me as so very Maine.

becke_davis wrote:

I got my copy of The Poacher's Son today - anyone else get theirs yet?

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Maine Shmain I want mine in the midwest NOW!!! ;-)

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

Not here yet in California!

pen21
0 Kudos

I got mine tonight in Minnesota. pen21

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I got mine tonight in Minnesota. pen21

Good..I am going to P.O.today..I hope dhaupt gets hers today as well..so she will be Happy,finally!!!   :  ),Hi Debbie..It takes so little a Book,,joining Pen21 and myself for coffee,new boots and jeans..What a life!! To all..Have a Good One..Vtc..Suan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Susie Q, I got my book (happy dancing on my front porch - oh the neighbor is wrinkling his forehead - better stop now- happy dancing through the front door) And hey I'm a happy person, just one who's tired of winter, praying for an early Spring and the Groundhog didn't cooperate.

I'd love to join you both for coffee in fact lets invite the whole mystery book club too, I know Becke could use a break, and me, I'm always up for conversation, caffeine and my girlfriends.

How's the weather up there in the picturesque Vermont countryside?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Susie Q, I got my book (happy dancing on my front porch - oh the neighbor is wrinkling his forehead - better stop now- happy dancing through the front door) And hey I'm a happy person, just one who's tired of winter, praying for an early Spring and the Groundhog didn't cooperate.

I'd love to join you both for coffee in fact lets invite the whole mystery book club too, I know Becke could use a break, and me, I'm always up for conversation, caffeine and my girlfriends.

How's the weather up there in the picturesque Vermont countryside?

No Book..at the PO,no UPS,not in my mailbox...But i did get Jeans,,I am glad you have yours,so mabe me tomorrow,,,My road was plowed,but we still have snow..pretty,Mts are covered so at least we will have lots of skiers.....Our main roads are all clear..The "Snow Plow Guys" live to plow,so they are out all night...As i started to post to you Ms.Debbie,I saw Becke's page of 'Coffee Time"" and cracked up lol lol..She is ready!! pen21 makes amazing Danish,I could do a Chocolate Sour Cream Cake..can you bring the Bagels?..Of couse "All Are invited for our Coffee Cozy"...fun is good....Later  Vtc  Must say hi to Becke now..Keep her company...

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

BECKE  WE ARE THERE..I JUST POSTED SOME 'GOODIES..YOUR PAGE IS SO PERFECT,I LAUGHED SO HARD..    "The Cozy Cafe" Coffee 20 kinds,Tea 50 flavors.....Have a look at our Menu.  We need  Approval..before we start baking...Pen21,Debbie,Becke..and The Whole Mystery FL....Excited,although my book hasn't arrived yet..theres always tomorrow....Best..Susan..... I must ,at the table,be facing  the door,its just a quirk of mine.,unless we have couches and comfy chairs all around..Oh and a Fireplace.....

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You guys (ladies?) always put a smile on my face!

pen21
0 Kudos

Glad I popped in here after work.

Yummm!!!

Now I can relax, eat, read. Surrounded by good company.

pen21

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Those darn cupcakes look good, don't they? I'm FREEZING! Need to start typing in mukluks and a snowsuit.