New User
penneyms
0 Kudos

Re: Funny Mystery Novels

If you want to die laughing don't forget Carl Hiasen!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Nature Girl 
penneyms wrote:

If you want to die laughing don't forget Carl Hiasen!

Here are links to some of his books:

Star Island

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Oooooh, I love this thread! I had not realized there were so many writers of funny mystery novels. Janet Evanovich, I have read, but many of these additional authors I have yet to read.

I would like to add the name of Charlotte MacLeod to the list, though. Her Peter Shandy mysteries were always tongue-in-cheek, and I think my favorite is the one about the Giant Hogweed. In it, Peter and a couple of his faculty friends get taken in by a time warp, and they are faced with a younger version(possibly a potential ancestor) of President Thorvald! Very funny!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Oooooh, I love this thread! I had not realized there were so many writers of funny mystery novels. Janet Evanovich, I have read, but many of these additional authors I have yet to read.

I would like to add the name of Charlotte MacLeod to the list, though. Her Peter Shandy mysteries were always tongue-in-cheek, and I think my favorite is the one about the Giant Hogweed. In it, Peter and a couple of his faculty friends get taken in by a time warp, and they are faced with a younger version(possibly a potential ancestor) of President Thorvald! Very funny!

I haven't read those books in ages but I think I've read them all!

Contributor
Joe_Mic
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if I have enough knowledge of authors to respond to this, but I am currently reading a Linwood Barclay novel, BAD MOVE, and find the plot and overall writing style to be very funny. At first I was wondering why anything that was being said mattered, and now I am glued to the book and am laughing at every page just thinking about the series of events. I'd recommend it!

Bad Move

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Humor is practically a prerequisite for me in a mystery series.  I think that I probably laugh the most at Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series.  Amelia is so predictable in her little quirks and beliefs!  I think that the funniest was when she had her son, Ramses, and decided she had no maternal instinct.  She kept calling him "it".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Humor is practically a prerequisite for me in a mystery series.  I think that I probably laugh the most at Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series.  Amelia is so predictable in her little quirks and beliefs!  I think that the funniest was when she had her son, Ramses, and decided she had no maternal instinct.  She kept calling him "it".

I agree, dulcinea3, Amelia's viewpoint is what give humor to the series. Her description of Emerson when she first met him in the museum, is a prime example: " He had very large, white  teeth and I felt sure I had gotten a glimpse of most of them." Since Emerson had been yelling at Amelia for her transgression of picking up and dusting off a piece of pottery, the impression is almost of being confronted by the Big, Bad Wolf.
(Not sure if the quote is 100% accurate, but you get the gist, I'm sure.) Later on, of course, Amelia writes that she was sure of Emerson's tender feelings for her from the first, but it is apparent that their first few meetings were anything but amicable.
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
New User
ajhena
0 Kudos

If you like funny mystery and a good helping of sarcasm and lots of jokes, but it still sticks to the mystery as well; then you'd like Michele Jaffe's books. Her first one is Bad Kitty, and following it is Kitty Kitty. There is also another one named Bad Kitty:Catnipped, but I'm not sure where it places chronoligically, but they are all very funny and have a good mystery in them. Hope it helped! =)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ajhena wrote:

If you like funny mystery and a good helping of sarcasm and lots of jokes, but it still sticks to the mystery as well; then you'd like Michele Jaffe's books. Her first one is Bad Kitty, and following it is Kitty Kitty. There is also another one named Bad Kitty:Catnipped, but I'm not sure where it places chronoligically, but they are all very funny and have a good mystery in them. Hope it helped! =)

Bad Kitty 

Kitty Kitty 

Rosebush    

I've read one of her books - ROSEBUSH - but that one is a mystery, not a funny one.

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

He Shall Thunder in the Sky (Amelia Peabody Series #12)  Ok, Fricka and Dulcinea3 , I'm sold. I'm buying He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters.

Gosh, these threads are gonna bankrupt me... (-.-) !

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

He Shall Thunder in the Sky (Amelia Peabody Series #12)  Ok, Fricka and Dulcinea3 , I'm sold. I'm buying He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters.

That's what we really mean when we say "Welcome to the club!"

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

Great!!!  I hope you enjoy it!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel20, don't forget to read some of the earlier books in the series. Some of my favorites are the ones where Ramses is just old enough to keep getting in trouble. As Amelia says in  one of the books, he is "catastrophically precocious". This book also introduces us to the "Master Criminal"( this sobriquet used by Amelia is continually irritating to Emerson-- we get early indications of his jealousy which hasn't been apparent before.) Anyway, Ramses is in fine fettle in The Mummy Case. I also like The Deeds of the Disturber, which is probably my favorite book in the whole series. Lots of chuckles as well as engaging plot lines in these.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody Series #1)  The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody Series #2)  
Fricka wrote:

Pumpernickel20, don't forget to read some of the earlier books in the series. Some of my favorites are the ones where Ramses is just old enough to keep getting in trouble. As Amelia says in  one of the books, he is "catastrophically precocious". This book also introduces us to the "Master Criminal"( this sobriquet used by Amelia is continually irritating to Emerson-- we get early indications of his jealousy which hasn't been apparent before.) Anyway, Ramses is in fine fettle in The Mummy Case. I also like The Deeds of the Disturber, which is probably my favorite book in the whole series. Lots of chuckles as well as engaging plot lines in these.

One of my favorites is the one in which Ramses is born (or perhaps was born before the novel starts) and Amelia has, shall we say, a bit of trouble finding her maternal instinct?  And also gets her first look at the normally manly and strong Emerson in the besotted attitude he has with babies!  I guess it must be the second novel, The Curse of the Pharaohs, which also introduces their friend Cyrus and the reporter O'Connell.  And, of course, the first in the series, Crocodile on the Sandbank, introduces us to Amelia, who, during the course of the novel, meets her best friend Evelyn and her future husband Emerson (along with his brother, Evelyn's future husband).  As I recall, I found the scene in which Amelia encounters Evelyn particularly funny, in the way it highlights her feminist side.

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

That's what we really mean when we say "Welcome to the club!"

Becke ! I HAD to laugh at this ! (^_^) Heh !

dulcinea3 wrote:
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody Series #1)  The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody Series #2)  
Fricka wrote:

One of my favorites is the one in which Ramses is born (or perhaps was born before the novel starts) and Amelia has, shall we say, a bit of trouble finding her maternal instinct?  And also gets her first look at the normally manly and strong Emerson in the besotted attitude he has with babies!  I guess it must be the second novel, The Curse of the Pharaohs, which also introduces their friend Cyrus and the reporter O'Connell.  And, of course, the first in the series, Crocodile on the Sandbank, introduces us to Amelia, who, during the course of the novel, meets her best friend Evelyn and her future husband Emerson (along with his brother, Evelyn's future husband).  As I recall, I found the scene in which Amelia encounters Evelyn particularly funny, in the way it highlights her feminist side.

Fricka and Dulcinea : I read your posts but Livraria CULTURA here has , by Peters :

The Laughter of Dead Kings

The Ape Who guards the Balance

The Falcon at the Portal

The Golden One

The Guardian of the Horizon

Tomb of the Golden Bird

and

The Seventh Sinner

Anything different I'd have to import. I'll read this book that I bought and then see which books I'll import ( probably all of them !) It was very good of you two to post about your favorite books, and i thank you ! Gee, I buy more books that I can read ! Do you do this too ? It's a TERRIBLE habit...

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Pumpernickel2008 wrote:

Fricka and Dulcinea : I read your posts but Livraria CULTURA here has , by Peters :

The Laughter of Dead Kings

The Ape Who guards the Balance

The Falcon at the Portal

The Golden One

The Guardian of the Horizon

Tomb of the Golden Bird

and

The Seventh Sinner

Anything different I'd have to import. I'll read this book that I bought and then see which books I'll import ( probably all of them !) It was very good of you two to post about your favorite books, and i thank you ! Gee, I buy more books that I can read ! Do you do this too ? It's a TERRIBLE habit...

Hi Pumpernickel!  Of the books that you mention, two of them are from different series by this author: The Seventh Sinner and The Laughter of Dead Kings.  I haven't read either of them, because I've been limiting myself just to her Amelia Peabody series.  I remember when The Laughter of Dead Kings came out, because it involves Egyptology (I think) and has a cover very similar to the Peabody series, so I got all excited, thinking a new one in that series had come out, and then I realized it wasn't!

The Amelia Peabody series is a pretty long one - 19 books so far.  The ones that your library has are more towards the more recent ones.  The order they were published in are:

The Ape Who Guards the Balance #10

The Falcon at the Portal #11

The Golden One #14

The Guardian of the Horizon #16

Tomb of the Golden Bird #19

Interesting that that order is also the alphabetical order of those particular books! However, The Guardian of the Horizon actually covers a period between the first two listed.  These are written as if they are memoirs, so sometimes one will go back and cover something further back.

Yes, of course I buy many more books than I can keep up with!  I think when we first started on the thread about the TBR list, I had about 70 on mine - and that was only the mysteries!!! :smileysurprised:

You're in good company here - but be warned - we will aid and abet your weakness instead of helping you to overcome it! :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

Becke, I'm not even gonna check if CULTURA has these books here, so that I am NOT interested ! LOL...

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dulcinea, and the book I asked to come ( He Shall Thunder in the Sky )  is #12. Do you think that I'll be able to understand this, even though I haven't read the other one ?

I understand you, for I read the 19 books in Donna Leon's series, totally out of order, BTW. Have you read these ? Her Detective Brunetti is VERY good, and we soon become addicted not only to his work and co-workers but also to his family, since his wife is a professor of English Literature and adores Henry James... Once Brunetti caught himself being jealous of Henry James and he told himself : Wait a minute ! Am I jealous of a guy who has already DIED ? And then he TRIES to convince himself that he shouldn't be , but the fact is that he really is !!! (^_^) Heh...

But it's a mystery series, although Brunetti can be funny sometimes...