Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
writingirl_15
0 Kudos

Funny Mystery Novels

I love mystery novels that are funny. Like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Any suggestions?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Funny Mystery Novels

I listed some suggestions in the previous post. I also liked a lot of Barbara Paul's books (INLAWS AND OUTLAWS, etc.) but it looks like hers are out of print. There are others I'm forgetting, too. And of course what one person finds funny another person might not like at all -- humor is so subjective.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Writing girl - AnneB here - I've begun the Body Mover series by Stephanie Bond - someone here at BN Book Clubs recommended them this summer. They remind me a little of the Stephanie Plum series - I think you'll like them. Also, on Sneak Peek, we've just read Truly, Madly by Heather Weber. It doesn't come out until February 2010, but I think you'll like that too. Have you tried any of Janet Evanovich's other books? They also are really great !

Happy Reading...

Anne

Frequent Contributor
writingirl_15
0 Kudos

Hi all! Thanks for the book suggestions. The Body Mover Series is on my TBR list. lol. 

B&N Bookseller
WendyB
0 Kudos

In my opinion there's no funnier mystery series out there than Donna Andrews' Meg  Langslow series:

Murder with Peacocks (Meg Langslow Series #1) 

Six Geese A-Slaying (Meg Langslow Series #10)  

I would suggest that this is a series best enjoyed in order because there is SOOO much hilarious family history. 

becke_davis

[ Edited ]

Great suggestion, Wendy! I've got SIX GEESE A-LAYING on the Holiday book thread, too.

I found this link to more funny mysteries at a Seattle library website:

http://www.spl.org/default.asp?pageID=collection_readinglists_category_detail&cid=1102540021055

Here's another library list of funny mystery authors: 

http://www.calcasieu.lib.la.us/readersadvisory_files/humorousmysteries.htm

And another:

http://www.cabq.gov/library/documents/funnyFX.pdf

B&N Bookseller
WendyB
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke!  That last list is really terrific.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

My good friend, and fellow Penguin author, Kate Collins, writes witty mysteries--the dialogue practically jumps off the page in her Flowershop Mysteries, and she has a nice Tracy-Hepburn banter going between Abbey and her hunky detective. Nancy Martin's Blackbird Sisters books are wonderful, she's finished that particular series but she has a new title coming out, OUR LADY OF IMMACULATE DECEPTION, that is sure to be a winner. Have to admit, I adore "funny" mysteries, and tend to read every single book in a series when I find one.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mary is going to be featured in January as part of our New Year Extravaganza! You can read an excerpt here: http://www.marykennedy.net/Excerpt.htm

Dead Air

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kate's books are great. I mentioned them at Garden Variety awhile back:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Digging-Into-Murder/ba-p/408518

New User
WriteOnMS
0 Kudos

Available at Barnes & Noble.com: A CORPSE IN THE SOUP, SEVEN DEADLY SAMOVARS...paperback, electronic and audio. Latest adventure in work: VANISHING ACT IN VEGAS. These are "stand-alone" books, so you don't have to read them in order.

The Silver Sisters mystery series books are comical crime capers featuring identical silver-haired Mae West lookalikes born on different days, in different months, different years, and different decades. Goldie Silver is an over-the-hill flower child who owns an antique store in Juneau, Alaska. Her twin, Godiva Olivia DuBois, is a manipulative, wealthy Beverly Hills California widow who writes the advice column "Ask G.O.D." (her initials.) Their eighty-year-old mother and uncle, former vaudeville magicians who love to dress in disguises, can never wait to get into the act when crime capers come calling.

The question is how do this sweet soul from Juneau and her tricky twin from Beverly Hills manage to get into such messes?

Author
R_E_Conary
0 Kudos

For funny, try these three ladies.

Carolyn Haines

Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney Series #1) 

Claire McNab

Wombat Strategy (Kylie Kendall Series #1) 

Joan Hess

Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks Series #1) 

Hold your sides and be careful drinking hot liquids while reading.

REConary

Lifes a Bitch. So am I. Rachel Cord. P.I. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Great recommendations! I tend to read the darker mysteries lately, but my friends LOVE the humorous ones like Janet Evanovich, Tamar Myers and Anne George.

I'm sure the rest of you can come up with a lot more suggestions for light-hearted mysteries, but one you should definitely check out is DEAD AIR by Mary Kennedy, one of this month's featured books.

Dead Air

Author
R_E_Conary
0 Kudos

Not rolling in the aisles funny, but firmly tongue-in-cheek are the golf-oriented mysteries by Charlotte and Aaron Elkins featuring young golf-pro Lee Ofsted and her duffer friend Peg Fiske. First to the tee is

A Wicked Slice 

REConary

Lifes a Bitch. So am I. Rachel Cord. P.I. (funny in places, but definitely dark)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think I bought those for my dad. He's a golfer and a mystery lover, so I'm always picking up mysteries with a golf connection for him -- like Roberta Isleib's golf books. 

New User
WriteOnMS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The zany, laugh-out-loud Silver Sisters Mysteries have been compared both to Anne George's Southern Sisters, and to Janet Evanovich's writing...figure Stephanie twenty years older times two. Visit the Silver Sisters website, http://www.silversistersmysteries.com/, for preview chapters, interviews, reviews and a character interview with the twins mother, Flossie Silver. Then figure out whether to order the paperback, e-book, Kindle, CD or to download the MP3. Two books currently in publication, "A Corpse in the Soup" and "Seven Deadly Samovars." The first draft manuscript for "Vanishing Act in Vegas" is approaching the finish line. Look for it in 2011.

A Corpse in the Soup 

Seven Deadly Samovars

New User
WriteOnMS
0 Kudos

A romp through the world of TV chefs   A zany romp through the glitzy world of TV chefs    Russian tea dispensers worth killing for? What makes the fancy Russian tea dispensers worth killing for?