Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Re: Happy Leap Day!

Terrible for Keri and Renee! I hope the horses turn up eventually. It must be so disheartening to lose everything and start from scratch, it is just hard to imagine.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I'm glad you're okay maxcat, those storms were just terrrible, it seems it's taking off from where we left off last year I just hope that the rest of Spring is not so active.

My heart and prayers go out to everyone who was affected.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, Debbie, the weather forecasters are not optimistic about this spring. There has been hardly any snowpack and the ground is warm. This makes it an ideal play for tornadoes. I'm afraid we aren't done and it is starting way too early. Our tornado season runs from April to May. Starting in early March does not bode well and will mean a longer season for us.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Stormy weather

maxcat wrote:

Unfortunately, Debbie, the weather forecasters are not optimistic about this spring. There has been hardly any snowpack and the ground is warm. This makes it an ideal play for tornadoes. I'm afraid we aren't done and it is starting way too early. Our tornado season runs from April to May. Starting in early March does not bode well and will mean a longer season for us.

We had some snow this morning but it didn't stick.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

GS2991 wrote:
Morning! Happy Tuesday! :smileyhappy:

Thank you, I needed that!

Just popping back in for a progress report. I did get to see my doctor yesterday, and there was good news and bad news. The good news was that I did not have strep infection in my throat, which I had thought might be a possibility since I've been coughing and having some tickling at the back of the throat. My throat is a bit inflamed but not strep.( I have a tendency towards strep infections, so that really was good news!) The bad news is that I have a sinus infection. I'm now taking antibiotics for a 10 day period.

I'm also helping my mom remember to take the medicine SHE's supposed to be taking for her infection.

No rest for the weary here--I'm also still the head cook so must plan and fix meals for the three of us--usually a pleasure, but not when I'm sick. I'm now contemplating not going to work for the rest of the week--giving myself enough time to let the antibiotics do their work, and then recover from that. I'll need to start on probiotics as soon as I finish with the antibiotics. Has anyone else noticed how much WORK it really is to get and stay healthy? That bag of Cheetos is looking more and more alluring to me! Auugh!

maxcat, becke, and everyone else who is either in tornado alley or knows someone who is, I agree that it's worrisome that the season has started off so early--not a good omen. I was sad to hear that the toddler who had been found in a cornfield near her dead family members also died. However, her grandmother told that right after they had made the decision to take little Angel off life-support, she was holding onto Angel's hand, and something made her let loose of Angel's hand, and then Angel lifted her two little hands like she was ready to be taken up, and they SAW Angel's Daddy in front of her for a second, and then she was gone. I just bawled like a baby when I read that! 

" There are more things on heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Amen to that!

I hope all of you are safe, sound, and healthy today!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

A sinus infection?! Eeeek. I feel for ya. Mine are always really bad. And bittersweet about the little one.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Fricka, I was saddened also by little Angel's death. But she is in a better place with her family. Sorry you have a sinus infection. I hate those. I have allergies and am on meds for that and there were days this winter when it felt like there was too much pollen around. The weather forecasters are already giving pollen counts and this usually does not happen until April. It's going to be a long Spring and Summer. Also, along with the wierdness of the weather, We had no butterflies last summer, no garden spiders which bring good luck to you and the streak continues with my jonquils. They tried to bloom but would die or be eaten by something. I'm not a happy camper with all these misfortunes.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Along with the tornado that was in the area, we found out Sunday that 3 children were sucked up by the tornado. The 2 girls were found next door to their demolished house and were hospitalized but are fine. The boy, age 7, was thrown onto a highway running by the house. Fortunately, at 3AM, there were no cars. And he was okay and did not have to go to the hospital!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

GS2991 wrote:

Just popping back in for a progress report. I did get to see my doctor yesterday, and there was good news and bad news. The good news was that I did not have strep infection in my throat, which I had thought might be a possibility since I've been coughing and having some tickling at the back of the throat. My throat is a bit inflamed but not strep.( I have a tendency towards strep infections, so that really was good news!) The bad news is that I have a sinus infection. I'm now taking antibiotics for a 10 day period.

I'm also helping my mom remember to take the medicine SHE's supposed to be taking for her infection.

No rest for the weary here--I'm also still the head cook so must plan and fix meals for the three of us--usually a pleasure, but not when I'm sick. I'm now contemplating not going to work for the rest of the week--giving myself enough time to let the antibiotics do their work, and then recover from that. I'll need to start on probiotics as soon as I finish with the antibiotics. Has anyone else noticed how much WORK it really is to get and stay healthy? That bag of Cheetos is looking more and more alluring to me! Auugh!

maxcat, becke, and everyone else who is either in tornado alley or knows someone who is, I agree that it's worrisome that the season has started off so early--not a good omen. I was sad to hear that the toddler who had been found in a cornfield near her dead family members also died. However, her grandmother told that right after they had made the decision to take little Angel off life-support, she was holding onto Angel's hand, and something made her let loose of Angel's hand, and then Angel lifted her two little hands like she was ready to be taken up, and they SAW Angel's Daddy in front of her for a second, and then she was gone. I just bawled like a baby when I read that! 

" There are more things on heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Amen to that!

I was so sad to read about that little girl, too. Just awful.

I'm sorry to hear about your sinus infection - not fun! Hope you and your mom both feel better soon.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Along with the tornado that was in the area, we found out Sunday that 3 children were sucked up by the tornado. The 2 girls were found next door to their demolished house and were hospitalized but are fine. The boy, age 7, was thrown onto a highway running by the house. Fortunately, at 3AM, there were no cars. And he was okay and did not have to go to the hospital!

I heard about that! Very scary!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Fricka & Maxcat, Those stories are really amazing about those who were caught up in the tornados ! 

When I see a map on the news with all that red on it, I know it's going to be bad those poor people. But I guess you never really know how it turns out in a blink of an eye. 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

GS2991 wrote:

I was so sad to read about that little girl, too. Just awful.

I'm sorry to hear about your sinus infection - not fun! Hope you and your mom both feel better soon.

Fricka:

Stay home for the rest of the week because I also had a sinus infection and finished my antibiotics on Friday. By Saturday, I was in bed all weekend with the other problem anitbiotics causes (trying to say this gently, hoping you get the picture). Haven't had much of an appetite until today! Tea and toast for me!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Eadie, sorry to hear about your illness. Sounds like we have a very similar ailment. I'm sorry to report, though, that MY appetite has not abated; in fact, I've been snacking and eating like there's no tormorrow. Was sad to note that I had actually gained weight when I was at the Dr's yesterday. Life just ain't fair, I tell ya! :catmad:

:At the very least, I could have lost my appetite, thus causing me to eat less and lose weight, or at least not gain any. But nooooooo! I had to get the kind of sickness that makes me feel hungrier! I am drinking lots of fluids, so I think that is helping stave off the infection. eadie, don't forget to start taking culturelle or some similar probiotic as soon as you finish with your anitbiotic regimen. I know, I'm always as weak as a kitten( though the way some kittens prance around, I have to wonder where THAT expression came from!) for about a week. The good news is that next week is Spring Break, so I'll have plenty of time to recouperate. The bad news is that I'll have two weeks of lost pay. Oh, well, I guess my health is more important than my salary.

I lived in Oklahoma for the first five years of my life, and remember we had a small dug-out in our back yard that we visited often when the storm warnings went out. Moving to Kansas did not mean we were out of tornado alley, though--"Wizard of Oz," anyone????  Almost all of our homes had basements, so we knew to head for cover when the town's warning whistle went off, or the TV weather report told us a serious thunderstorm with chance of tornado was on the way. Can't recall the number of times we got caught out on I-70 trying to outrun a sudden hailstorn or worse! Now THAT was scary! Usually there was an underpass we could park under, unless there were already too many other cars already there.

I get it that in rural areas where there may be people out working in areas where they don't have TV or radio access, they might be caught unaware of a storm's arrival, but with all the smart phones and such, you'd THINK there would be a way for people to find out in enough time to take shelter. I am frankly appalled to find that in some of the towns that got hit, there was NO BASEMENT in the school or nearby area for the school childrent to take cover. Do those people really think that kids trying to hide under desks is sufficient? It's really a good thing someone had the good sense to send the children home before the tornado hit the school building. But really , shouldn't there be, by now, a uniform code for all buildings in the states that always get hit by tornadoes, to automatically either be built, if new, or renovated, if not, to have anti-tornado shelters? Geez! 

It's just a good thing Arizona is not generally a place where tornadoes hit, as our soil does not lend itself to basement building. Should add that we don't as a RULE get tornadoes--we get "Micro-bursts".!!! However, a suburb area of Flagsstaff got hit with EIGHT tornadoes last year. Obviously wiped out the suburban area!

Shoot I feel so tired after writing all that, I guess it is a VERY good thing I am not living in tornado alley right now, as I doubt I would have the energy to go for shelter, ha ha.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. My sinuses are feeling better already. Now if that pesky cough would go away as well, I might be closer to my usual chipper self.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I agree on the basements! I wan't in public school long but I still remember the tornado drill. Go out to the hall and cover your head!!!! Even then I thought WHAT?! vs a twister!!! Really?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka:

You are such a good writer - you should become one! I love to read everything you write! You are so knowledgeable about everything!

Thanks for the good advice! I'll be sure to eat my yogurt! The only thing is that I don't ever get rid of my cough. I have switched all my medications and I still have a dry cough that does not produce anything too productive. Or, I should say, I do have a productive cough but it just doesn't come up. My daughter, the vet, said that my cilla or hairs in my throat are not working properly. I think when I had radiation on my breast that some damage was done to that area, thus my cough and problems with getting rid of the phlem. So disgusting to be writing about this but the cough is very aggrevating. I have to take mucinex daily in order to loosen things. I also use one of those vaporizers that plug into your socket and vicks vaporub at night. 

Hope you and your family are all better soon!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Did you all see this?

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/its-time-to-pick-the-winner-of-the-pulp-fiction-contest...

March 2, 2012, 5:34 PM

Time to Pick the Winner of the Pulp Fiction Contest

Atlantic Avenue

Update, March 5 | Click to read the actual openingof “Atlantic Avenue” and a profile of its author.

Her name was Maggie. It was Eleanor. It was Velma: a night-time name for a night-time broad. She clicked down the subway stairs in stilettos,saddle shoes, red pumps with one heel worn down to the nail. In her purse was her granddaddy’s revolver. A snub-nose .38. A knife, coated in crimson.

Your 500-plus responses to our call for a hypothetical opening for the actual ’50s pulp novel “Atlantic Avenue” covered every conceivable  angle — and some inconceivable ones — on the grimy streets of noir.

We have chosen 28 finalists (not 26, as we mistakenly report in Sunday’s Metropolitan section).

Now it’s your turn to pick the winner of the 2012 Readers’ Choice Crushed Fedora.

There will also be a second winner, chosen by Tim McLoughlin, a Brooklyn novelist and an editor of the series “Brooklyn Noir” published by Akashic Books. He’ll offer some tips, too. But that’s another tale.

Here’s how you vote.

Each finalist appears as a comment below. Simply click “recommend” on your favorite. You may choose more than one. But you may not vote for the same one more than once. Don’t even try. It won’t work.

***Voting is open until Wednesday.***

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement, becke. Now I'm trying to cough out the words to "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys! Maybe I will settle for humming to myself!
Speaking of coughing, eadie, I have a couple of additional tips to pass on to you. A few years back, I discovered that Triaminic had some melt-in-your-mouth cough strips, similar to those breath strips that used to be seen by the check-out counter.I got the cherry flavor, and low and behold, they worked! The tickling in my throat that led to an asthmatic wheezing was gone! It was only AFTER I used the strips successfully that I noticed the print on the package saying it was for CHILDREN!!!!! As God is my witness! Well, I still use them, when I can find them, but I don't tell many people about it(at least not until NOW--shhhh!) because for some reason an adult taking children's medicine is not seen as being very smart. All I know is, it worked for me!
The other thing you might try, especially if you are into alternative healing methods, is to try honey. A tablespoon full of honey will quiet the tickling that leads to coughing, plus it tastes pretty good, once you get used to the feeling of the fullness of all that honey trickling down your throat. Fianlly, if neither of those methods work for you, you can always use the recipe for a sore throat my mom gave me: 1 Tablespoon each of : honey, lemon juice, and Brandy. Better than any OTC cough syrup! You can also try a variation of that with hot tea, which is then essentially a hot toddy. Good luck, and I hope your cough will be a thing of the past, soon.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

P.S. I thought I would take my own advice, so I just took one of those Triaminic strips. It still works! If you're interested, the package reads Children's Triaminic Thin Strips. Day Time Cough& Cold. I got the Wild Berry flavor,

Just wish some of these had been around when I was a child! I still have nightmares about some of the prescription cough medicines doctors gave my mom to give to my brother and me. Usually one dose is all she managed to get down us, because after one experience  of that horrid taste, we knew to make ourselves scarce when we saw her going tor that bottle. Gak!!!!!