Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement, becke. Now I'm trying to cough out the words to "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys! Maybe I will settle for humming to myself!
Speaking of coughing, eadie, I have a couple of additional tips to pass on to you. A few years back, I discovered that Triaminic had some melt-in-your-mouth cough strips, similar to those breath strips that used to be seen by the check-out counter.I got the cherry flavor, and low and behold, they worked! The tickling in my throat that led to an asthmatic wheezing was gone! It was only AFTER I used the strips successfully that I noticed the print on the package saying it was for CHILDREN!!!!! As God is my witness! Well, I still use them, when I can find them, but I don't tell many people about it(at least not until NOW--shhhh!) because for some reason an adult taking children's medicine is not seen as being very smart. All I know is, it worked for me!
The other thing you might try, especially if you are into alternative healing methods, is to try honey. A tablespoon full of honey will quiet the tickling that leads to coughing, plus it tastes pretty good, once you get used to the feeling of the fullness of all that honey trickling down your throat. Fianlly, if neither of those methods work for you, you can always use the recipe for a sore throat my mom gave me: 1 Tablespoon each of : honey, lemon juice, and Brandy. Better than any OTC cough syrup! You can also try a variation of that with hot tea, which is then essentially a hot toddy. Good luck, and I hope your cough will be a thing of the past, soon.

Thanks Dr. Fricka! Once again you are so knowledgeable!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Good Morning! Happy Thursday! Hey for a cough I found the Ricolia drops work good. The dual action ones with the goo in the center for your throat. I like those. They are rather bitter though. But thats me....
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Happy Friday!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Happy Saturday! Have a great weekend!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Happy Saturday! Have a great weekend!

Thank you! Same to you!!!!

About the Ricola cough drops--those are good, but there's  a large variety to choose from. If you really want the one that does the most to fight off a stubborn cough, go with the original.

Slippery Elm cough lozenges are also good. Available at Sprout's Grocery stores and most health food stores.

For those of you who may not have caught cold and are wanting to pump up your immune system with Vitamin C, there's a new product I've been using. It's True Lemon and True Lime(there's also a True Orange, but I seldom see that on the shelves--it must get snapped up pretty fast!) Anyway, these are great if you don't have a juicer, or simply don't feel like carving up a bunch of citrus fruits.

I generally have a couple of the lime packets with one packet of Stevia, in a large glass of water, for my liver tonic each a.m. However, with my cold, I ramped up the number of packets until I had the equivalent of lemonade. These are also good for cooking.

Here's the equivalency formula given on the back of one of my True Lemon boxes:

1 packet True Lemon = 1 large lemon wedge

2 packets True Lemon= 1 TBSP Lemon Juice

6 packets True Lemon= 1 medium lemon

I've found these boxes in Target and Walmart. At Walmart, they are shelved with the other juice mixes like Chrystal Light. At the Fry's Grocery Store where I shop, they are shelved in the diabetic cooking section. If you are looking for them and can't find them, ask your store manager, as the chances are now good that most grocery stores will have them. And, I can't emphasize this enough, when you are sick, it's sooooo much easier to open a packet than to have to try to cut and squeeze the fruit! Plus that is much messier. My tip for the day!

I am feeling much better. Just returned from our local Farmer's Market, where I bought 1/2 dozen Green Corn Tamales, 2 Cilantro/ Black bean tamales,  and a small wheel of Farmer's Cheese with poblano chiles in it. Ole!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka:

Thanks for the update! Enjoy your goodies from the market!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Happy Monday!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Morning my mystery loving friends, how is your first Monday of daylight savings time

here's how mine feels :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Morning my mystery loving friends, how is your first Monday of daylight savings time

Awwww, I feel your pain, Deb.

Or, at least, I would, but I live in Arizona, where we don't switch off and on to DaylightSavings. (For the obvious reasons--we ALREADY get enough daylight--don't need more of it, especially in the summer months!)

I do remember that it was always a pain having to either set our clocks back or forward, depending on the time of year it was. "Fall back in the fall" is all I recall at the moment of the little poem that is supposed to help folks remember what to do. I did have an uncle who farmed, and he absolutely refused to go on Daylight Savings. I could see his point, but I thought it must have created some problems for his family when they had to go into town, as it would have been either an hour ahead or behind what the farm was operating on. Let's just say whoever came up with this lunkheaded idea should have been given short shrift, and since it essentially was a war-time gimmick, (WWII)isn't it about time to get rid of it NOW????

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Awwww, I feel your pain, Deb.

Or, at least, I would, but I live in Arizona, where we don't switch off and on to DaylightSavings. (For the obvious reasons--we ALREADY get enough daylight--don't need more of it, especially in the summer months!)

I do remember that it was always a pain having to either set our clocks back or forward, depending on the time of year it was. "Fall back in the fall" is all I recall at the moment of the little poem that is supposed to help folks remember what to do. I did have an uncle who farmed, and he absolutely refused to go on Daylight Savings. I could see his point, but I thought it must have created some problems for his family when they had to go into town, as it would have been either an hour ahead or behind what the farm was operating on. Let's just say whoever came up with this lunkheaded idea should have been given short shrift, and since it essentially was a war-time gimmick, (WWII)isn't it about time to get rid of it NOW????

Spring ahead - Fall back! Actually, here in the east, it works well - a little confusing but not too bad. My daughter goes to work at 7:30 AM and doesn't get home until 7:30 PM. She had to walk her dogs in the dark but now it will be light until at least 8 or 9 and will get later as the summer goes on - so not so bad for her dog walking!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Uh it drives me crazy! Oh think about it you have a 24 inch piece of string ok? Now cut off one inch off the top and tie it to the bottom. Now how long is it? EXACTLY! So why even cut it?!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Uh it drives me crazy! Oh think about it you have a 24 inch piece of string ok? Now cut off one inch off the top and tie it to the bottom. Now how long is it? EXACTLY! So why even cut it?!

Precisely. As Spock would say, "Illogical"!!!!

However, most Americans seem to have adjusted to this zany time-shaving, so we probably won't see an end of this for some time.

eadie, glad it benefirts your daughter. That having to walk her dog early in the morning, in the dark, sounds scary. There are light reflective dog-collars and even some walking shoes(for humans, obviously) that light up, but those can be expensive, and besides that, just providing light doesn't automatically make one safer. I'd think about suggesting some self-defense classes for your daughter, if she hasn't already done so. There are just too many creeps around these days, sad to say, so unless the dog your daughter is walking is some breed like a German Shepherd or Doberman, she might actually be more vulnerable while walking the dog than protected. Although some small dogs can be quite effective crime deterrents, if they bark and lunge at strangers, especially men.

I don't have a dog myself right now, but if I did and had to walk it in the dark, I'd at least have mace or pepper spray on my keychain, and maybe a Taser tucked away where I could get to it easily. A girl scout is always prepared, and women should be the same. Usually if one prepares for the likelihood of trouble, it doesn't happen, while assuming that nothing bad will happen is naive and could even be foolhardy, depending on one's location. Now that I just wrote that last line, I just had the thought that no-where is really safe, not even small towns or villages. The town I'm from in Kansas had a woman murdered in one of the motels, years ago, but knowing that could happen in my home-town was a sobering thought.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka: Got the Triaminic strips today at the supermarket. The check-out woman asked me my birth date. She said that with this type of medication she is required to ask for my age because the kids use this type of medicine to make meth. How? I do not know. Does anyone know or understand the process they use to make meth from these cough strips? Just curious!
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka: Got the Triaminic strips today at the supermarket. The check-out woman asked me my birth date. She said that with this type of medication she is required to ask for my age because the kids use this type of medicine to make meth.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:
Fricka: Got the Triaminic strips today at the supermarket. The check-out woman asked me my birth date. She said that with this type of medication she is required to ask for my age because the kids use this type of medicine to make meth.

Good grief!!!! It's not enough that cold remedies like Contact and Dristan have been taken off the shelves. Now we have to sign to get allergy tabs like Claritin D at the pharmacy, and are monitored lest we get more than a certain number of pills each month(for Claritin D it is no more than two prescriptions of 15 tabs each, per month,  that are allowed). My dad just returned from several supermarkets yesterday, after he tried to get some Excedrin for my mom's headache. You guessed it--no more Excedrin!!!! After reading your post, eadie, I feel sure that when I go to get my next box of Triaminic, I'll be monitored on that, too. Sheesh! Common sense would seem to dictate that women over the age of forty are highly unlikely to be buying certain OTC meds in order to have a meth party, but who said that these guidelines are centered on common sense? I have a suspicion that the kids who know how to convert these kinds of meds into meth won't be stopped by these stupid rules--they will just find some other source to rip off.

On to a more pleasant note--welcome to our forum, Jack, and congratulations on Manhattan Affair!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Good grief!!!! It's not enough that cold remedies like Contact and Dristan have been taken off the shelves. Now we have to sign to get allergy tabs like Claritin D at the pharmacy, and are monitored lest we get more than a certain number of pills each month(for Claritin D it is no more than two prescriptions of 15 tabs each, per month,  that are allowed). My dad just returned from several supermarkets yesterday, after he tried to get some Excedrin for my mom's headache. You guessed it--no more Excedrin!!!! After reading your post, eadie, I feel sure that when I go to get my next box of Triaminic, I'll be monitored on that, too. Sheesh! Common sense would seem to dictate that women over the age of forty are highly unlikely to be buying certain OTC meds in order to have a meth party, but who said that these guidelines are centered on common sense? I have a suspicion that the kids who know how to convert these kinds of meds into meth won't be stopped by these stupid rules--they will just find some other source to rip off.

On to a more pleasant note--welcome to our forum, Jack, and congratulations on Manhattan Affair!

Now, you also have to hide your TIDE:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/tide_detergent_emerges_as_a_ne.html

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Wow, that is so weird about the TIDE, eadie. Sure enough, though, that is one of the hot news stories being covered by Yahoo! News right now. Here's an excerpt from one of the stories:

Last year, in St. Paul, Minnesota, a man is alleged to have stolen $25,000 worth of Tide over 15 months before authorities captured him. Stores such as CVS have amped up security measures to prevent theft; at some locations the detergent is kept in a locked container and an employee must retrieve it for customers.

So why is Tide the only detergent being targeted? Authorities list several reasons: Tide is instantly recognizable because of its Day-Glo orange bottle; it is one of the most expensive brands of laundry detergent; and it does not have serial numbers, so it cannot be tracked.

On social media, people are calling the theft trend "bizarre" and many are blaming it on the tough economy and rising gas prices. One person tweeted that the thefts are "a result of inflation."

A spokesperson for Procter & Gamble, the manufacturer of Tide, called the thefts "unfortunate."

More than unfortunate, I'd say.Procter & Gamble had better get busy and start putting serial numbers on TIDE. I'm glad we switched to Cheer years ago--at least I don't have to worry about MY laundry detergent disappearing from the shelves! We use the Free and Clear version of CHEER, and I would never go back to a product that has scent and dye in it now.

However, I have to still wonder--exactly why is it that TIDE is being kidnapped off the shelves.  Are people in third world countries that desperate for laundry detergent?  Is it being used for something else? Have to admit, part of me must have some sick form of humor, as I can picture some unfortunate undercover police unit having to try to follow the detergent thieves...."It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it!" :cattongue:Or is that what one might call a "clean-up" job??? Heee heee!:catlol:

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Bizarre!!!  And I don't see the connection between Tide detergent and rising gas prices.  I use All, also a 'free and clear' variety.  I once tried the supermarket equivalent, and it was slightly blue and seemed to have a mild scent, so I don't get why they're advertising it as having no dyes or scent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia