Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Tide alert

[ Edited ]

dulcinea3 wrote:

Bizarre!!!  And I don't see the connection between Tide detergent and rising gas prices.  I use All, also a 'free and clear' variety.  I once tried the supermarket equivalent, and it was slightly blue and seemed to have a mild scent, so I don't get why they're advertising it as having no dyes or scent.

It is bizzare and at our local Walgreens here in St. Louis, they keep the tide locked up. My local talk radio interviewed the police this morning and the cops said that since everyone uses detergent that it's an easy item to trade for drugs, ciggarettes etc . That at least makes some sense

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Tide alert

dhaupt wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Bizarre!!!  And I don't see the connection between Tide detergent and rising gas prices.  I use All, also a 'free and clear' variety.  I once tried the supermarket equivalent, and it was slightly blue and seemed to have a mild scent, so I don't get why they're advertising it as having no dyes or scent.

It is bizzare and at our local Walgreens here in St. Louis, they keep the tide locked up. My local talk radio interviewed the police this morning and the cops said that since everyone uses detergent that it's an easy item to trade for drugs, ciggarettes etc . That at least makes some sense

I've seen a couple articles about this recently. Bizarre!

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120314/BUSINESS/203140339/Tide-riding-nationwide-crime-wave?odysse...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/tide-detergent-crime-wave_n_1342533.html

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20120314police_report_new_crime_wave_tide_laundry_de...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Get Well Wishes, Stormy Weather & Non-Mystery Discussions

Holly mentioned she wasn't feeling very good the other day, so I think she's joined all of you who are under the weather. I hope you all feel better soon!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Well can't let the other sickly feel lonly! I'm a bit better today though. :smileyhappy: Thank You!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Good morning! Happy Friday!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! :smileyhappy: my avatar has green so no pinching! :smileytongue:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thanks for the great St. Pat's graphics, becke. I really loved the one with the Yorkie in it- soooo cute!

Holly, hope you are feeling better now. I've finally gotten to the end of my antibiotics meds, but now I seem to have gotten a cough that won't quite go away. To make matters worse, I can't find any of the Triaminic melt-aways that I wrote about earlier. Probably been taken off the shelves, like the other cold medicines I used to use. Think I mentioned that Excedrin has now been taken off the shelves, too. That means I will have to find a new remedy for headaches. Darn!

About the Tide debacle-- my dad shed a new light on that for me. Guess I am so naive-- I could not think of why people would be stealing laundry detergent, but he succinctly said, " To hide drugs in". Well, that makes it a whole 'nother ball game, then. Have to wonder, too, at Procter and Gamble not having sufficient ID on their boxes. Kind of makes one wonder if the company is complicit in some way with drug smugglers.

What an ugly thought, but stranger things have happened.

I mentioned in a different thread that we got rain here yesterday. That is usually cause to rejoice, as living in a desert climate, any additonal moisture is welcome, but it also hailed a bit, too. ( The balls were really tiny, though, and pretty much melted quickly). It's just this going back and forth from hot to cold is weird,  and then it looks like it's going to be hot again by the end of the week. This is playing havoc with my head, and with my wardrobe planning. Right now, it looks like I will need to dress warmly for work today and tomorrow, and then it will be back to my clothes that are designed for warmer weather. No cleaning out the closet for me just yet!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Yes better today thanks. I had a weird stomach bug for 4 days all I could eat as a hand full of crackers and sip water. That was it. But over the weekend I got to feelin better and managed bananas. I think today I can finaly eat a meal. I'm hungry! Yeah its nice here. Tshirt weather in the 70's!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Yes better today thanks. I had a weird stomach bug for 4 days all I could eat as a hand full of crackers and sip water. That was it. But over the weekend I got to feelin better and managed bananas. I think today I can finaly eat a meal. I'm hungry! Yeah its nice here. Tshirt weather in the 70's!

Glad you are feeling better, Holly. I've been there. Years ago, when I first got diagnosed with GERD, I guess I must have eaten one thing too many for my esophogeal tract to handle, and even drinking water made me belch. I had to go on a very restricted diet--even more limited than the one I'd been followiing for my IBS. Talk about a double whammy!

Anyway, just wanted to say, the next time you feel this kind of bug coming on, you can try to head it off by drinking Chamomile tea. That works really well for diarrhea, and constipation as well. If for some reason the Chamomile does not do the trick, try some small doses of wine. It's biblical, as I remind my teetotal parents: " Drink no longer only water, but a little wine for the stomach's sake." St. Paul wrote that to Timothy, who apparently was suffering from some form of IBS, so who am I to ignore a scriptural instruction??? Heeee heeee! It does work, though, as I can testify from personal experience. Wine is, after all, an antiseptic.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Oh wine alright! Who needs to wait till your 21! Hee hee hee. Thanks!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Feel Better Soon

[ Edited ]

Glad you're better, Holly. Hope the rest of you are back in form, too!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Yeah me too. Thanks! Well wishes to all!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Awww. A butterfly and pretty flowers! You know how I favor butterflies, becke--thanks for the picture!

Today (Wed) the sun is already shining brightly, and we are supposed to have highs close to 80. Usually this would mean that spring was pretty much here, but with the weather the way it's been, I wouldn't be surprised if we got another cool spell. I confess, though, that after the sinus infection I had, a few days with nice sunshine and warm temps will be quite welcome!

Holly, glad to hear you are feeling better, too. We jokers have to take care not to get under the weather for too long! Heh, heh.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Awww. A butterfly and pretty flowers! You know how I favor butterflies, becke--thanks for the picture!

Today (Wed) the sun is already shining brightly, and we are supposed to have highs close to 80. Usually this would mean that spring was pretty much here, but with the weather the way it's been, I wouldn't be surprised if we got another cool spell. I confess, though, that after the sinus infection I had, a few days with nice sunshine and warm temps will be quite welcome!

Holly, glad to hear you are feeling better, too. We jokers have to take care not to get under the weather for too long! Heh, heh.

It was 86 degrees here yesterday, the first day of spring. Makes me wonder what summer will be like!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hi Fricka! Yeah hee hee. Gota get better can't let people get bored not being pesterd ya know hee hee. Hi Becke! Well I'm hoping for a summer in the 70's. Hey one can wish!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Party!

I am throwing a party at fiction for a friend that got married. All welcome. And a open bar! Hey 5 a clock somewhere!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Party!

Scary tornadoes yesterday - I hope all of you in north Texas are okay!

There's another contest at Romance University, with prizes!

http://romanceuniversity.org/2012/04/03/rus-april-showers-contest/

April showers bring May flowers and another fun contest. In honor of April Fool’s Day, Easter bunnies, marshmallow Peeps, and taxes, your entry must contain all four of the following words:

fool   bunny   peep   taxes

Here are a couple of examples:

As inevitable as death and taxes, my aunt Ronnie Sue’s annual April Fool’s Pre-Easter costume bash brought out the worst elements of the neighborhood—snot-nosed kids whining because someone forgot to hard boil the eggs in the Easter egg hunt, drunken fathers trying to bag terrified bunnies in the vegetable patch and, worst of all, stuck up martini sipping mothers using Peeps as swizzle sticks,  and looking right through me as they held out their sticky glasses for refills.

Bunny Weems, proprietress of Tingles All Over, wasn’t a fool for the taking nor would she cheat on her taxes and draw the ire of the Infernal Revenue Service. But the dour, gum-soled IRS agent showed up anyway. An hour later, after a complimentary Deluxe Magic Fingers-Feel-Like-A-Million-Bucks full-body massage, which wasn’t listed on the menu, the IRS man left without a peep, but with an extra hop in his step.

One or more sentences not to exceed eighty words total.

Place your entry in the comments section at the link above.

Entries must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. PST on Friday, April 6th.

Limited to two entries per person.

Judges: Editor Theresa Stevens and the RU staff

Winners announced on Sunday, April 8th.

Contest limited to participants in U.S. and Canada.

Published? Unpublished? It doesn’t matter! Be creative and join in the fun!