Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Party!

Thanks for the heads up on the RU contest, becke. I did go ahead and post there, for what it's worth.

Love, love, love the picture of the bunny on your post--that looks exactly like one of the pet rabbits I had as a child. They were named, very imaginatively, ha ha, Queenie and Duchess. They did not exactly live up to their names, as they would kick and bite if they didn't want to be picked up! My brother and I spent most of our time with them letting them play on the grass, and then we'd have to chase them down when it was time to put them back in their hutch. Oh, those were the days! ( I could run pretty fast then, so chasing the rabbits was much more fun than getting scratched or worse).

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Party!

Shooot! I competely missed the RU instructions that said word count had to be 80(or under!) Longwinded me did not do that, of course, at least not on my first try. Thank goodness we get to submit twice. I do think my first attempt  was better, but the second is certainly shorter, per the rules. :cattongue:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Party!


Fricka wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on the RU contest, becke. I did go ahead and post there, for what it's worth.

Love, love, love the picture of the bunny on your post--that looks exactly like one of the pet rabbits I had as a child. They were named, very imaginatively, ha ha, Queenie and Duchess. They did not exactly live up to their names, as they would kick and bite if they didn't want to be picked up! My brother and I spent most of our time with them letting them play on the grass, and then we'd have to chase them down when it was time to put them back in their hutch. Oh, those were the days! ( I could run pretty fast then, so chasing the rabbits was much more fun than getting scratched or worse).


I saw your entries, Fricka - great job!

 

I had two of those Dutch bunnies years ago, too. Ours were called Thumper and Lennon. Benjie, our neutered male cat, decided he was the bunnies' mother. Thumper on the left, Lennon on the right.

benjie thumper lennon.jpg
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Party!


becke_davis wrote:


I saw your entries, Fricka - great job!

 

I had two of those Dutch bunnies years ago, too. Ours were called Thumper and Lennon. Benjie, our neutered male cat, decided he was the bunnies' mother. Thumper on the left, Lennon on the right.


Awww, sooo cute, becke. Think the fact that Thumper and Lennon had similar markings to Benjie probably made him think they were his own little "boys"! Sorry I did not have any luck copying the picture. :catwink:

Glad you enjoyed reading my entries for RU. I think it is safe to say that I do not have a looming career as a Romance Novelist! Hee Hee!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Party!

Annnd the gnomes are at it again! That cat emoticon was supposed to be at the END of my post, NOT at the end of my sentence where I said I was sorry I couldn't copy the picture! :catembarrassed: Auuuugh!:catmad:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Party!


Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:


I saw your entries, Fricka - great job!

 

I had two of those Dutch bunnies years ago, too. Ours were called Thumper and Lennon. Benjie, our neutered male cat, decided he was the bunnies' mother. Thumper on the left, Lennon on the right.


Awww, sooo cute, becke. Think the fact that Thumper and Lennon had similar markings to Benjie probably made him think they were his own little "boys"! Sorry I did not have any luck copying the picture. :catwink:

Glad you enjoyed reading my entries for RU. I think it is safe to say that I do not have a looming career as a Romance Novelist! Hee Hee!


I'm so glad you entered the contest! Our regular posts tend to be serious so we've been trying to liven it up with these contests. I hope you had fun writing your entries because we're sure having fun reading them! Thank goodness there are 8 people involved in the judging - I'm glad I don't have to pick the winners!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Cool Easter Tree

 

This is a close-up of some of the eggs.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Cool Easter Tree

Wow, Becke!  Can you imagine how long it must take to hang all of those precious eggs?  I wouldn't want to be responsible for that - or for trying not to break those mini-masterpieces!

 

A bit early, but...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Cool Easter Tree


dulcinea3 wrote:

Wow, Becke!  Can you imagine how long it must take to hang all of those precious eggs?  I wouldn't want to be responsible for that - or for trying not to break those mini-masterpieces!

 

A bit early, but...


Oooh - pretty!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Easter Fun

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Ngaio Marsh

I've been cataloging my books on Goodreads, and yesterday I got to Ngaio Marsh.  I thought I had all of her Roderick Alleyn books, but it seemed that I had a couple less than the total count.  Today I looked more closely, with a list of the novels, and I am missing two - Final Curtain and Last Ditch!  Wow - that was a surprise!  :catsurprised:  On the one hand, it does mean that I have some new enjoyment to come when I read them :catvery-happy: ; on the other hand, they're apparently out of print, so it may be a while :catfrustrated: .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh


dulcinea3 wrote:

I've been cataloging my books on Goodreads, and yesterday I got to Ngaio Marsh.  I thought I had all of her Roderick Alleyn books, but it seemed that I had a couple less than the total count.  Today I looked more closely, with a list of the novels, and I am missing two - Final Curtain and Last Ditch!  Wow - that was a surprise!  :catsurprised:  On the one hand, it does mean that I have some new enjoyment to come when I read them :catvery-happy: ; on the other hand, they're apparently out of print, so it may be a while :catfrustrated: .


Hmmm. I may have extra copies of those - if I do, I'll send them in the next Got Books? shipment. 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've been cataloging my books on Goodreads, and yesterday I got to Ngaio Marsh.  I thought I had all of her Roderick Alleyn books, but it seemed that I had a couple less than the total count.  Today I looked more closely, with a list of the novels, and I am missing two - Final Curtain and Last Ditch!  Wow - that was a surprise!  :catsurprised:  On the one hand, it does mean that I have some new enjoyment to come when I read them :catvery-happy: ; on the other hand, they're apparently out of print, so it may be a while :catfrustrated: .


Hmmm. I may have extra copies of those - if I do, I'll send them in the next Got Books? shipment. 

 


Check out thrift stores - I found a copy of FINAL CURTAIN - I have a paperback and a copy in an anthology of Marsh Classics. So, PM your address to me and I'll send you the paperback copy of FINAL CURTAIN.
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh


eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've been cataloging my books on Goodreads, and yesterday I got to Ngaio Marsh.  I thought I had all of her Roderick Alleyn books, but it seemed that I had a couple less than the total count.  Today I looked more closely, with a list of the novels, and I am missing two - Final Curtain and Last Ditch!  Wow - that was a surprise!  :catsurprised:  On the one hand, it does mean that I have some new enjoyment to come when I read them :catvery-happy: ; on the other hand, they're apparently out of print, so it may be a while :catfrustrated: .


Hmmm. I may have extra copies of those - if I do, I'll send them in the next Got Books? shipment. 

 


Check out thrift stores - I found a copy of FINAL CURTAIN - I have a paperback and a copy in an anthology of Marsh Classics. So, PM your address to me and I'll send you the paperback copy of FINAL CURTAIN.


Oh, I'm glad you found it! I just remembered I sent out a lot of my duplicate copies in previous Got Books? shipments. I think I have more but I'll have to dig through some boxes.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh

Wow, you guys are great!  Thanks so much, Eadie!!!  Becke, I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I do know that you had been sending out Marsh books, because quite a while ago you did send me one, but it was one that I already had, so I passed it on to someone else.  It will be quite a treat to have a 'new' (to me) Alleyn novel to read!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh

Brrrrrrrrr! We've had quite the cold snap here, this weekend. Yesterday was probably worse to get out in than today, as it was windy along with the cooler weather. The sun was shining, but the air was cool. The wind made it feel colder.Even with wearing jeans, a sweater, and a denim jacket over that, I felt cold. I had some tortilla soup along with my turkey burger for lunch, and that helped some, but then when we had to go outside again, it was fighting the wind again.

This morning it was a frigid 53 degrees here! It's warmed up a bit this afternoon, but I feel like I'm taking another cold. Rats!

I also feel for the people in the Midwest who were in the path of the tornadoes that hit this weekend. Geeez! What IS it with all this stormy weather, anyway? becke, I hope Cincinnati was not in the path of the tornadoes this time. Seems like it primarily centered around areas in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, although other border states like Missouri could have been in the crosshairs of thunderstorms too.  Hope the rest of you had a safe weekend(and warmer than mine!)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh


dulcinea3 wrote:

Wow, you guys are great!  Thanks so much, Eadie!!!  Becke, I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I do know that you had been sending out Marsh books, because quite a while ago you did send me one, but it was one that I already had, so I passed it on to someone else.  It will be quite a treat to have a 'new' (to me) Alleyn novel to read!!!


No luck yet but I'll keep looking.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh

Good luck with finding those Inspector Alleyn books, dulcinea 3.  With becke on the lookout for you, I bet you'll soon have a few more of those titles in hand! Compared to you, I've only read a few of Ms. Marsh's books. I have been trying to get my hands on some original Miiss Seeton books by Heron Carvic, who started the series. The books I've read have been by his successors, like Hamilton Crane. It's hard even to find THOSE in the library now!

Anyway, as this is our thread for discussing the weather, thought I would mention that yesterday it was 84 for the high temp, and today it is supposed to be 92!!!! I know I was complaining about our "cold snap" over the weekend, but this is getting TOO hot, too soon. If this keeps up, we'll have an awfully long, hot summer.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh


Fricka wrote:

Good luck with finding those Inspector Alleyn books, dulcinea 3.  With becke on the lookout for you, I bet you'll soon have a few more of those titles in hand! Compared to you, I've only read a few of Ms. Marsh's books. I have been trying to get my hands on some original Miiss Seeton books by Heron Carvic, who started the series. The books I've read have been by his successors, like Hamilton Crane. It's hard even to find THOSE in the library now!

Anyway, as this is our thread for discussing the weather, thought I would mention that yesterday it was 84 for the high temp, and today it is supposed to be 92!!!! I know I was complaining about our "cold snap" over the weekend, but this is getting TOO hot, too soon. If this keeps up, we'll have an awfully long, hot summer.


Oh, I love the original Miss Seeton books! "Courage!"

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh

It was 91 yesterday, and is 81 now, but it's going to be a bit cooler for the rest of the week, I think.  I love it, but the cats don't!  They just kind of sprawl around on the floor most of the time.  I did try to keep it at a reasonable temperature yesterday, with the AC, but haven't had it on today yet.  I do put it on at night when it's warm, because I can't sleep unless it's cooler.  I like it best in the mid to upper 70s during the day, and the upper 60s at night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia