Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Ngaio Marsh

dulcinea3 wrote:

It was 91 yesterday, and is 81 now, but it's going to be a bit cooler for the rest of the week, I think.  I love it, but the cats don't!  They just kind of sprawl around on the floor most of the time.  I did try to keep it at a reasonable temperature yesterday, with the AC, but haven't had it on today yet.  I do put it on at night when it's warm, because I can't sleep unless it's cooler.  I like it best in the mid to upper 70s during the day, and the upper 60s at night.

My brother said it was in the low 30s in Albuquerque this morning!

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Anyway, as this is our thread for discussing the weather, thought I would mention that yesterday it was 84 for the high temp, and today it is supposed to be 92!!!! I know I was complaining about our "cold snap" over the weekend, but this is getting TOO hot, too soon. If this keeps up, we'll have an awfully long, hot summer.

In Breckenridge, CO, we still have some snow patches on the ground from the big snowstorm we had a couple of days ago, and it was flaking some this afternoon. That's to be expected for us, though, and we needed the moisture after a long dry March.

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Beth_Groundwater wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Anyway, as this is our thread for discussing the weather, thought I would mention that yesterday it was 84 for the high temp, and today it is supposed to be 92!!!! I know I was complaining about our "cold snap" over the weekend, but this is getting TOO hot, too soon. If this keeps up, we'll have an awfully long, hot summer.

In Breckenridge, CO, we still have some snow patches on the ground from the big snowstorm we had a couple of days ago, and it was flaking some this afternoon. That's to be expected for us, though, and we needed the moisture after a long dry March.

Beth, my brother in Albuquerque has been reporting chilly weather there. Your part of the country could definitely use some rain!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sorry I haven't been very active on the forum here for the past few days. I've been having dental treatment.

Tuesday, I went for my overdue cleaning, and the x-rays that the hygienist took showed that one of the fillings on my upper right side had started to pull away from the tooth. The dentist has been watching these teeth for a while, and had told me that at some point I would need to have the fillings replaced, as they were pretty old. Well, she also made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It turned out that since she had moved into a new office( the cleaning appointment was the first time I had been to the new location), she had gotten new technology that now  allowed her to do the work on porcelain inlays in her office, instead of having to send off to a lab. Because I'm one of her favorite patients, and was at the right place at the right time, I got the chance to be, essentially, her "Guinea-pig" for a very reduced price. Instead of the $2,000 that normally would have been the cost of getting a porcelain onlay and inlay(onlay on one tooth, and inlay on the other), the cost was reduced to $480. I'm glad I went ahead and took advantage of her offer, as it turned out that I did indeed have a cavity underneath the filling of the first tooth, and by getting the work done on the tooth at this time, I most likely avoided having an abcess which would have meant a root canal. Of course, I spent a lot more time in the dentist's office than I would have preferred, but the upside is that I actually got to see the piece of porcelain being honed into the shape that would go on my tooth. Very impressive new technology! I also had all the work completed on my teeth by the time I left the office, instead of having to wait for a lab to do the work on the porcelain, and then have a return visit to have the work completed. Very relieved to have that over with in one day!!!!!

I haven't had any pain in my jaw after the long time spent in the dental chair, but my neck did get very strained, and I was in some pain at work that evening.I did some floor Yoga exercises when I got home, and took a shower the next morning to help relax those neck and back muscles that were aching. I'm planning on going to visit my local Barnes and Noble bookstore this morning, and lunch afterwards at the nearby PF Chang's. I will need to go for early shopping and dining, as the temps here are going to be in the 90's again.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

We missed you!

I think you need a bouquet of flowers, Fricka!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: We missed you!

becke_davis wrote:

I think you need a bouquet of flowers, Fricka!

Thank you, becke--those are lovely! Even better, they won't make me sneeze! Hee hee! :catlol:
(I do love roses, but my hay fever always kicks in when I sniff them!)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Windy City

Just a note to let you all know I'm in Chicago for a few days. I'm hoping I'll be able to post the introduction to our classic mystery feature tonight. I'm not used to the tiny keyboard on this notebook computer!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Windy City

becke_davis wrote:

Just a note to let you all know I'm in Chicago for a few days. I'm hoping I'll be able to post the introduction to our classic mystery feature tonight. I'm not used to the tiny keyboard on this notebook computer!

Have fun in Chicago, becke!Hope the weather there is moderate, and not too windy!

You might want to get a magnifying glass to help you with those teeny keyboard letters!:catwink:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Easter Cat

I forgot to post the latest picture of my holiday cat!

DSCN1657.JPG