becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

eadieburke wrote:

Just got home and found my GOT BOOKS in the door. Another great selection of new and vintage. Thanks Becke!

Glad the package arrived safely, Eadie. It always surprises me how you all receive the packages on different days, even though I mailed them all at once.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

I think mine came on Friday but we went to Maryland Thursday night and came home Saturday afternoon. I usually receive mine first, so I knew they would be there when I got home since dulcinea and maxcat said they had received theirs. Thanks again!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good to know, Eadie!

It's a little early, but Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

xhappythanksgiving.gif

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke, thanks for that latest Got Books? package. I love all the books you sent, but I really squeed when I saw Angel Condemned by Mary Stanton. I can't wait to read it! Thanks again for the package!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke, thanks for that latest Got Books? package. I love all the books you sent, but I really squeed when I saw Angel Condemned by Mary Stanton. I can't wait to read it! Thanks again for the package!

Fricka sent me a message, saying she was surprised to get a package since she'd been unable to join us for awhile due to computer problems.

Because I knew she WANTED to be with us and would have commented if she was here (judged by past experience) I sent her a few books anyway.

I've done that for several of you when I knew you were off the boards because of health issues, etc. If you regularly comment on three or more author threads every month, I will keep that in mind if something prevents you from joining us.

Now, if you're here, it's up to you. Comments on author threads = Got Books!

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Just got back from celebrating Thanksgiving in South Carolina with my 98 year old father & my brother, and my books were waiting for me.  Thank you again, Becke.  We've been traveling back and forth since the middle of October.  Now I have to get back to reading my books and get back to reading the threads!  I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving Weekend.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

Just got back from celebrating Thanksgiving in South Carolina with my 98 year old father & my brother, and my books were waiting for me.  Thank you again, Becke.  We've been traveling back and forth since the middle of October.  Now I have to get back to reading my books and get back to reading the threads!  I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving Weekend.

It's always nice to find books waiting, isn't it?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I mailed the November Got Books? packages yesterday - I almost turned around and came back home, the line at the post office was so long. My husband was extremely patient - he helped me carry everything in and kept me company while I was in line. Some of you may get them faster than usual - it was taking the clerk awhile to look up the book rate (media mail) so I finally gave up and sent some parcel post.

Every month, the number of you participating in Got Books? is going down, and some people are only commenting the bare minimum. I'm debating whether I should continue this in 2012. 

I want it to be an incentive/reward to those who participate, and especially to those who chat with our visiting authors and make them feel at home.

Maybe you're getting bored with the weekly featured visits? I've added guest blogs to mix it up a little, but what else can I do? I need your suggestions!

I've already got quite a few authors booked for next year, but I'm going to drop the Month of Romantic Suspense, Month of Cozy(ish) Crime and Month of Suspense and Thrillers. It's no fun for authors when they only get one or two people commenting, and I don't want coming here to feel like work for you. Plus, setting up those feature months is very time-consuming - that's fine if I see you are all interested, I'm just not getting that anymore.

Sooo...I need some feedback here. What can I do to inspire people to join the conversations, or struggle through the sign-in process to join us?

What would YOU like to see here? I'd love to hear from some of our lurkers, too. Thanks! 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

becke, say it isn't so! No month of Cozy Crimes! Waaaaah!

Not sure what could be done to get more of our lurkers in from the cold. Let me put my thinking cap on for a while, and maybe I will have a suggestion or two that might work.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks, Fricka! I've posted this on a couple of threads, and on the Mimosa Island thread, Max has seconded your vote to keep the Month of Cozyish Crime. Does everyone agree with that?

What about the others - yes or no? 

Max has also suggested we feature more classic authors. I'm a little concerned that their books might not be available (at least not new), but I like this idea a lot. I'm game if you are. Personally, I'd like to make this a regular feature, focusing on a different classic author every month. Or, if you all prefer, we could do a month-long binge of classics all in one go.

Keep the suggestions coming!!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I like the idea of more classics!  I think I prefer an author a month.  Maybe if we run out of classic authors, we could concentrate on a different popular series each month, older as well as newer.

I know you want us to chat with the authors, but I feel a bit awkward when I haven't read any of their books and probably won't.  Many of them have very appealing series, but I have so much to read already!  I do try to participate when it's an author I have read, but the more well-known ones seem to just submit a blog and many don't visit, or only stop by once.  I thought that a lot of the regulars were participating, so I didn't think the authors would feel left out.  But I think you do such a fantastic job of getting them to stop by, and a number of them have become regulars, too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I also like the idea of adding classics, and in fact, I've noticed that in libraries and bookstores both, some authors are not placed in the mystery section, but in general fiction. Maybe we could expand a bit there--isn't Deb H. the moderator for the fiction forum here at B& N? Maybe she could select one or two of the regulars from that forum to come visit us, and post a thread on one of their fave authors, and then becke could get one of us to return the favor there.

Also, since we've done a lot on British mystery writers, like Dame Agatha, would it be possible for us to do some threads on  early American authors like Poe? We could deal with his short stories, such as "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "The Purloined Letter." After watching a film version of The Rise of the House of Usher, I have a suspicion that Poe may very well have written one of the first Vampire mysteries there!

That would be fun to discuss at Halloween!

Another idea I have is that we might well discuss some YA books--I happen to love books by Tamora Pierce and Mercedes Lackey, and both of those women essentially are writing mystery stories for young people. Kathy Reichs also has a new YA series, beginning with Virals. Would we want to do some crossover with the YA crowd here on B& N to get them to discuss their favorite mystery/mystery writer?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I could have sworn we did a Poe feature here before, but I can't find it in a word search of the site.

Sooooo....check out the schedule for December (I'm about to edit it). I wasn't going to schedule anything for the week of the 26th, but I changed my mind!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

I came home from the dentist and there was a package on my front step. It took me almost 15 minutes to open the package. It was as tight as Fort Knox - lots of scotch tape and duct tape!

I guess you know by now that I GOT BOOKS! Thanks Becke! I love them all! 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

I came home from the dentist and there was a package on my front step. It took me almost 15 minutes to open the package. It was as tight as Fort Knox - lots of scotch tape and duct tape!

I'm a little OCD when it comes to packing tape, as I'm sure you've all figured out by now. Books are heavy, so I always worry that the shipping bags will tear, or the boxes will break open...I come from a family of worriers, can you tell?

BTW, that came really fast. I think I went to the post office on Friday. Maybe Thursday. 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

I'm a little OCD when it comes to packing tape, as I'm sure you've all figured out by now. Books are heavy, so I always worry that the shipping bags will tear, or the boxes will break open...I come from a family of worriers, can you tell?

BTW, that came really fast. I think I went to the post office on Friday. Maybe Thursday. 

This was the first time I had trouble getting into the package. At least they arrived in a good condition.

They did get here fast. I usuallly get mine first, so I'm sure you will start to hear from others.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

This was the first time I had trouble getting into the package. At least they arrived in a good condition.

They did get here fast. I usuallly get mine first, so I'm sure you will start to hear from others.

I usually send them media mail, but to speed things up at the p.o. I sent some regular Parcel Post this time. I wonder how much difference that will make.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This funny little cat has special meaning to me. My husband's aunt - only ten years older than us, and a very good friend to me - gave this to us (with costumes for every holiday) shortly before she died of cancer. She was, as my daughter says, a real firecracker. She loved animals and even though she was tiny - barely five feet tall - she would stand up to anyone who tried to hurt anyone weaker than they were.

My little tree - since it's going to be a quiet Christmas here, I only put up a little tree:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

This funny little cat has special meaning to me. My husband's aunt - only ten years older than us, and a very good friend to me - gave this to us (with costumes for every holiday) shortly before she died of cancer. She was, as my daughter says, a real firecracker. She loved animals and even though she was tiny - barely five feet tall - she would stand up to anyone who tried to hurt anyone weaker than they were.

My little tree - since it's going to be a quiet Christmas here, I only put up a little tree:

What a great mememto that is from your Aunt, becke! It's great that you have kept it in such good shape and even decorate it for Christmas! (Most live cats wouldn't stand for that kind of costuming, so it's nice to have a cat mannikin, or should I say, " cat-ikin", to do the modeling for them, heh heh).

Love your "little" tree, too, becke. Is that a butterfly at the top of the tree???? You know how I love butterflies, but I confess I never thought about using a butterfly as a Christmas-tree topper before. Totally awesome!!!!:smileylol:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

What a great mememto that is from your Aunt, becke! It's great that you have kept it in such good shape and even decorate it for Christmas! (Most live cats wouldn't stand for that kind of costuming, so it's nice to have a cat mannikin, or should I say, " cat-ikin", to do the modeling for them, heh heh).

Love your "little" tree, too, becke. Is that a butterfly at the top of the tree???? You know how I love butterflies, but I confess I never thought about using a butterfly as a Christmas-tree topper before. Totally awesome!!!!:smileylol:

The cat's not very old - she only died two years ago. I have a message from her saved on my voice mail - I hope I never accidentally erase it.

Yes, that is a butterfly at the top of my tree. I thought it was pretty and since my angel tree-topper was too big for this tree, I decided to be creative!