Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

becke_davis wrote:

Here's a picture of what I've been getting up to:

We're not exactly the Rockettes, but this is a wonderful group! I went to a Christmas party at Lori Foster's house on Friday, a mix of readers and authors. (I fall somewhere in the middle, I guess.) That's me on the left, attempting a Can-Can kick without breaking my neck. Lori Foster is second from right. The lovely lady in the red shirt, next to Lori, is Linda Keller, long-time Community Relations Manager of the Barnes & Noble in West Chester, Ohio and former RWA Bookseller of the Year.

What a great looking group of ladies, becke. Looks like you were all having a great time!

Alas, no kicking for ME, as my right knee has been panging me for the last two weeks, and I have a Dr's appt. to get it looked at tomorrow.(Going with my dad, who is getting a checkup on the bite on his leg he got from Draco the devil cat.) I can walk fine--it's the sitting down and getting up that really causes pain. I've been using my cane to help me get out of car seats, which  sort of makes me feel like an old woman. What was it Erma Bombeck wrote?--something on the lines of "Growing old is not for sissies." I sure feel like that now. Of course, part of the problem is that we've been getting a lot of rain and cooler weather, which seems to affect my joints, but I do enjoy the cooler weather, especially after having complained about all the hot temps we have here in Phoenix during the summer. Low's of 60's during the day may not seem all that cold to those who are located in states where winter months bring freezing weather and blizzard conditions, but after getting acclimated to the heat, the cooler temps seem pretty cold here. Hope the Dr. can do something for me without ordering a lot of X-rays or tests. Well, I may not be able to physically kick up my heels, becke, but I'm there in spirit with you and your gal friends. Thanks for sharing the pic here with us!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

I've been away from the boards (and home too for that matter), since my husband was taken to the hospital and gave our family a good scare.  Now we're all finally getting back to normal and I received my mail, and was so pleasantly surprised to get my package of books.  Thank you so much Becke. The package is always nice to receive but this one really cheered me up.  Thank you again.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Here's a picture of what I've been getting up to:

We're not exactly the Rockettes, but this is a wonderful group! I went to a Christmas party at Lori Foster's house on Friday, a mix of readers and authors. (I fall somewhere in the middle, I guess.) That's me on the left, attempting a Can-Can kick without breaking my neck. Lori Foster is second from right. The lovely lady in the red shirt, next to Lori, is Linda Keller, long-time Community Relations Manager of the Barnes & Noble in West Chester, Ohio and former RWA Bookseller of the Year.

What a great looking group of ladies, becke. Looks like you were all having a great time!

Alas, no kicking for ME, as my right knee has been panging me for the last two weeks, and I have a Dr's appt. to get it looked at tomorrow.(Going with my dad, who is getting a checkup on the bite on his leg he got from Draco the devil cat.) I can walk fine--it's the sitting down and getting up that really causes pain. I've been using my cane to help me get out of car seats, which  sort of makes me feel like an old woman. What was it Erma Bombeck wrote?--something on the lines of "Growing old is not for sissies." I sure feel like that now. Of course, part of the problem is that we've been getting a lot of rain and cooler weather, which seems to affect my joints, but I do enjoy the cooler weather, especially after having complained about all the hot temps we have here in Phoenix during the summer. Low's of 60's during the day may not seem all that cold to those who are located in states where winter months bring freezing weather and blizzard conditions, but after getting acclimated to the heat, the cooler temps seem pretty cold here. Hope the Dr. can do something for me without ordering a lot of X-rays or tests. Well, I may not be able to physically kick up my heels, becke, but I'm there in spirit with you and your gal friends. Thanks for sharing the pic here with us!

Oh, so sorry about your knee! Mine acts up occasionally, too. I fell back when I lived in England, broke my ankle, tore a ligament in my ankle AND my knee. It healed fine then, but it goes out on me every so often now.

I hope your dr. is able to help you without a lot of expensive tests!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

I've been away from the boards (and home too for that matter), since my husband was taken to the hospital and gave our family a good scare.  Now we're all finally getting back to normal and I received my mail, and was so pleasantly surprised to get my package of books.  Thank you so much Becke. The package is always nice to receive but this one really cheered me up.  Thank you again.

I'm so sorry to hear about your scare. Is your husband better now? ((hugs)) to you all!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Fricka, sorry to hear about your knee. Sounds like a cortisone shot might help. Have you received any snow this week? It looks like there was a a good-sized snowstorm around your neck of the woods.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

seasanddollar wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear about your scare. Is your husband better now? ((hugs)) to you all!

Thanks, Becke--my husband is doing much better.  The doctors told him he was very lucky.  He had a TIA.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

seasanddollar wrote:

Thanks, Becke--my husband is doing much better.  The doctors told him he was very lucky.  He had a TIA.

I hope he doesn't give you any more scares like that!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

seasanddollar wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

seasanddollar wrote:

I hope he doesn't give you any more scares like that!

Ditto, becke. seasandollar, that sounds like you had quite a scare with your husband. BTW, a TIA is nothing to laugh off, either--I've read that they can be pre-cursors to the "real thing." So, hopefully, your Dr. has given, or will give, your husband some lifestyle-changing tips on how to stay healthy and avoid going through that scare again.

becke and maxcat, thanks for the well-wishes in connection to my knee. I did have to have x-rays, and am now waiting to hear from the Dr. as to the results. She did look at both my knees and said my right knee was a bit swollen. She also told me to use Aleve for pain meds for the time being. I've been using Advil, and she told me to use the Aleve, and not to mix those with Advil. I think taking them is helping a bit. For the most part, though, I just have to watch it when I'm going up(as in getting out of a chair) or down( getting into a chair). Once I get up, I'm good to go--I can do a lot of walking without it hurting(and of course, I wear shoes that give me proper support, as I've had my go-rounds with plantar fasciitis and a  few broken metatarsal bones in my left foot). Strangely enough, my left foot has not bothered me at all during the rainy weather. I would've thought it would have been, but am thankful it hasn't.

Maxcat, we generally don't get snow here in Phoenix, but there are certain exceptions, depending on what part of the metropolitan area one lives in. Those who live in the higher elevations like foothills, for example, as in Fountain Hills(an offshoot of Scottsdale) do occassionally get light flurries of snow, when the weather gets down lower than the 30's. Most of the time, though, our lows are still in the 40-50 range, so not so much chance of getting that kind of precipitation. It's supposed to be sunny here today, and I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit more before I venture out to do some more Christmas shopping.

Hope everyone on this forum is tucked in nice and warm. (or that you have good heaters and snow tires on your cars!!!!)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Fricka, I'm glad you went to the doctor. Now, just hope it is nothing serious and that you can do all right with the Aleve. I can't take the drug as it gives me headaches. And I'm allergic to aspirin and have to take acetaminophen for the time being if I have any pain. 

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Morning, Becke, rainy and warm here but it will turn seasonably cold on Christmas Day.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Everything is packed up and ready to go - my plan was to go to the post office yesterday, but the wind was blowing hard, the temps were frigid and it was snowing. I wimped out. 

It's even colder today, and it's snowing again. I don't think there's mail on Monday so I'm going to make an effort to get there today, but if the roads are bad I'm not going to risk it.

I'll keep you posted!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's freezing but not snowing too bad, so I went to the post office today. Everything is on its way!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Becke:

I got my books and I love the selection you sent. Thanks also for the RT Book Review Magazine and book markers!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Becke:

I got my books and I love the selection you sent. Thanks also for the RT Book Review Magazine and book markers!

You always get your packages very quickly! I hope everyone else gets their packages soon, too.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Friday 13th Comments

I didn't see this on the 13th, but it is so darn cute, just wanted to say thanks for the picture, becke.

Not sure which I like better--the rolling eyes, or the little fangs that just jut out from the lower jaw. Heee heee!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Friday 13th Comments

I didn't see this on the 13th, but it is so darn cute, just wanted to say thanks for the picture, becke.

Not sure which I like better--the rolling eyes, or the little fangs that just jut out from the lower jaw. Heee heee!

He reminds me a little of a cat I had once!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]