Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

I Got Books yesterday (complete with pencil, postcard, and gum)!!!  Thanks, Becke, especially for getting me stocked up for some of our American classics!  I actually used to have a lot of these authors, but they were either purged or peed-on, so without you I wouldn't have anything to read for most of them!  I'm really enjoying that monthly feature this year!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm glad you're all enjoying the books and goodies! (Isn't that gum amazing?)

The American Mystery Classics feature was a brilliant idea - I'm so glad I asked for your suggestions! I'm reading MURDER BY THE BOOK right now for this month's feature, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm going to pick up more of these - I'd read a few of them years ago, and had forgotten how good they are!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I remember thinking that Pam and Jerry were kind of an American version of Nick and Nora!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I remember thinking that Pam and Jerry were kind of an American version of Nick and Nora!

The humor is very believable - I love it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I KNEW I was forgetting something! The bookmarks you received with Got Books? this month - some of you got leather bookmarks, others got braided yarn - were made and donated by Holly!

Shame on me for forgetting to mention this! Thanks so much, Holly!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Thanks, Holly - I got a suede one!!! :catvery-happy:

Wordsmith
writerfire

You are all welcome! :smileyhappy: Its new from HKS! Hahaha. Just thought I'd share. They are my fav style of book marks. I color code them to the books I read. But this time I just made some with different colors. Hope you enjoy! Thanks Becke!
The best surprize is one left untold.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I got my Got Books? package yesterday. Thanks, becke, for the books, postcard, pencil, and gum. I got one of the braided bookmarks, so Thank You, Holly, for that! So happy you have been sending me some copies of Dashiell Hammett's books, becke. I can hardly wait to re-read The Dain Curse and after that, The Continental Op! Wheeeee!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I got my Got Books? package yesterday. Thanks, becke, for the books, postcard, pencil, and gum. I got one of the braided bookmarks, so Thank You, Holly, for that! So happy you have been sending me some copies of Dashiell Hammett's books, becke. I can hardly wait to re-read The Dain Curse and after that, The Continental Op! Wheeeee!

You should all be getting a mix of old and new. If there are particular authors (vintage ones) you'd like to try, let me know and I'll see if I have any.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Mine was braided and it looked like the ones we made in school and it brought back memories. When we went to the library, we would use these bookmarks in our borrowed books. So crafty and handy!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Becke had sent me The Continental Op a while back, too - she must have had duplicates (probably she and her parents each had a copy).  I hadn't read it before, and I really enjoyed it, so I'm sure you will, too!  If you remember, when you're done, let me know what your favorite stories were, and I'll tell you mine!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Becke had sent me The Continental Op a while back, too - she must have had duplicates (probably she and her parents each had a copy).  I hadn't read it before, and I really enjoyed it, so I'm sure you will, too!  If you remember, when you're done, let me know what your favorite stories were, and I'll tell you mine!

I've got duplicates and even triplicates of some books - I try to buy newer editions when they start to show age. (If only we could just hit "refresh"!)

Scribe
optic_i

[ Edited ]

:cathappy:Thanks Holly !  I have the blue and red cloth one.

The only problem is my kitty likes it too !  She has been pulling it out of my book more then once, When I am not around. No matter where I put my book she seems to find it. :cathappy: 

Wordsmith
writerfire

Hahaha um uh.. well I didn't think about the cats.....

Maybe she wants to read too!

The best surprize is one left untold.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've just started to sort out the April Got Books? shipment. Thanks to all of you who are participating each month!

A few months ago we had a discussion about how we could perk up this board. Because of that discussion we now have American Mystery Classics the last week of each month.

You wanted more variety in author visits, which I'm trying to accomplish. This week, for instance, our featured author writes true crime and hosts a true crime investigation TV show.

Some authors aren't available to visit for a week, and others aren't comfortable working on the internet at all. I offer those authors the option of writing a guest blog for us. Some of them come to visit, while others let their blogs speak for them. One benefit of the guest blogs is that it gives us all the opportunity to meet more authors and learn about their books.

I dropped the Month of Romantic Suspense but you all voted to keep the Month of Cozy(ish) Crime. Normally that's in June but this year I've moved it to October. I'm going to focus on thrillers and suspense novels in September. I try not to schedule much in December, but we'll have at least a few featured authors and guest blogs. 

Let me know if you have requests or suggestions - I'll see what I can do!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just moved the discussion about who you'd like to feature at American Mystery Classics over to that thread.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/American-Mystery-Classics/m-p/1337490#M51222

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention that I mailed the books the other day. You should be getting them any time now.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I got my package today!  Wow, wow, wow - what a treasure trove!!!  Thanks so much, Becke!!!  I guess I will have to devote most of the month we do Ellery Queen to reading his stuff, what with what I already had, and now this gigantic anthology you sent!  The other books are great, too - I have never read anything with Campion, Lovejoy, or Mrs. Jeffries before, so I am looking forward to reading these!  And of course, bookmarks, love the door hanger thingie, and the button!  Baby Girl mints, too!  I was excited to find a copy of The Strand, and the old Collier's from the 50s should be lots of fun to look through.  But the piece de resistance of course is the Agatha Christie Hour.  When I was in B&N recently, I saw a few of those and considered buying them, but in the end I settled on a really fun set - Agatha Christie's Romantic Detectives.  It includes the whole Partners in Crime series, plus The Seven Dials Mystery, Why Didn't They Ask Evans?, and a fictional account of Christie's disappearance (not the movie Agatha, but called Her Life in Pictures or something like that).

You really outdid yourself this month Becke, and I appreciate it sooooo much!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I got my package today!  Wow, wow, wow - what a treasure trove!!!  Thanks so much, Becke!!!  I guess I will have to devote most of the month we do Ellery Queen to reading his stuff, what with what I already had, and now this gigantic anthology you sent!  The other books are great, too - I have never read anything with Campion, Lovejoy, or Mrs. Jeffries before, so I am looking forward to reading these!  And of course, bookmarks, love the door hanger thingie, and the button!  Baby Girl mints, too!  I was excited to find a copy of The Strand, and the old Collier's from the 50s should be lots of fun to look through.  But the piece de resistance of course is the Agatha Christie Hour.  When I was in B&N recently, I saw a few of those and considered buying them, but in the end I settled on a really fun set - Agatha Christie's Romantic Detectives.  It includes the whole Partners in Crime series, plus The Seven Dials Mystery, Why Didn't They Ask Evans?, and a fictional account of Christie's disappearance (not the movie Agatha, but called Her Life in Pictures or something like that).

You really outdid yourself this month Becke, and I appreciate it sooooo much!!!

I'm so glad you liked your goodies!

You all were lucky there weren't a lot of packages to send this month - more for you!

Between books I've received and books I'm clearing out, plus all the bookmarks and goodies I got at Malice Domestic, I had lots to share. I think everyone got a mix of old and new, and several - maybe all - of you got magazines, too. 

Remember, all you have to do is post three comments per month on author and/or book-related threads, and you'll qualify. Easy peasy!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

I just got my books today! Love them all - some old, some new! Got lots to read now! Thanks, Becke! Love the Got Books button, mints and bookmarks too!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt