Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

Got back from South Carolina today, and my "Got Books" were waiting for me.  Thank heaven for your the secure electrical tape wrapping! It was absolutely pouring in "Sunny Florida" and the books stayed dry when I brought them from our mail box.  Thank you so much for such a great selection!  Brenda Novak is one of my main TBR authors, along with Amanda Lee. I love all of the books too, & the bookmarks! The notepad is adorable.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

Got back from South Carolina today, and my "Got Books" were waiting for me.  Thank heaven for your the secure electrical tape wrapping! It was absolutely pouring in "Sunny Florida" and the books stayed dry when I brought them from our mail box.  Thank you so much for such a great selection!  Brenda Novak is one of my main TBR authors, along with Amanda Lee. I love all of the books too, & the bookmarks! The notepad is adorable.

Glad it arrived safely! Yes, the package was butt-ugly, but it WAS waterproof!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I've been doing a daily Tarot reading most days (not a 1-card draw, but a 5-card spread), and today in the 'unexpected' position, I got the Ace of Swords.  Aces sometimes mean a gift, and swords represent the intellect.  I immediately knew to what it was referring, as I had already been to the mailbox and found an adorable little package with Snoopy and Woodstock on it, and NO electrical tape! LOL!

Thanks, Becke!  I don't think I've ever read any P.D. James, although I do have another one on my TBR pile, and am familiar with the Mystery! series, which I enjoyed.  I recognize the title as one that they covered, although it's been a really long time since I saw it.  I used to have some of the Detection Club books, including the one you sent, but I purged them a while back, and as so often happens with a purged book, you later wish you still had it, so I know I will enjoy reading it again!

I don't know the exact date, so I thought I would say this now:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've been doing a daily Tarot reading most days (not a 1-card draw, but a 5-card spread), and today in the 'unexpected' position, I got the Ace of Swords.  Aces sometimes mean a gift, and swords represent the intellect.  I immediately knew to what it was referring, as I had already been to the mailbox and found an adorable little package with Snoopy and Woodstock on it, and NO electrical tape! LOL!

Thanks, Becke!  I don't think I've ever read any P.D. James, although I do have another one on my TBR pile, and am familiar with the Mystery! series, which I enjoyed.  I recognize the title as one that they covered, although it's been a really long time since I saw it.  I used to have some of the Detection Club books, including the one you sent, but I purged them a while back, and as so often happens with a purged book, you later wish you still had it, so I know I will enjoy reading it again!

I don't know the exact date, so I thought I would say this now:

I'm glad you liked the books! Thanks so much for the anniversary wishes! I blogged about it here: 

http://familytreethyme.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-40th-anniversary-again.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm getting ready to send off the September Got Books? - not nearly as many packages going out as usual. I didn't schedule as much as I normally do for September since I was going to be gone part of the month, but one of you still managed to post on THIRTEEN threads in September!

Some people who normally get books aren't going to this month - I don't want to be mean, but I can't send books unless you post on four author-related threads. I've been liberal about this - counting the Agatha Christie threads and sometimes other threads, but the main purpose of Got Books? is to encourage participation when we have guest blogs and featured author visits. 

As much as I appreciate your posts on Mimosa Island and What are you reading now?, those posts don't count toward Got Books? I do occasionally count posts on the Welcome thread and other discussions if you contribute a lot.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention this so some of you will understand why you aren't getting books this month. Sorry! I have a ton of books waiting to go out in future months, so if any of you haven't received books from the Got Books? incentive yet, all you have to do is post comments on the featured author threads for the month. Easy peasy! (The books are a mix of old and new - and I hope if you find an author you like, you'll buy the rest of their books here!) 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke!

I got my books yesterday. I guess I was one of the participants who wrote comments to a lot of visitors because I got so many books there were two packages. There was a nice selection of new and old. I love them all. Thanks again!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:

Thanks, Becke!

I got my books yesterday. I guess I was one of the participants who wrote comments to a lot of visitors because I got so many books there were two packages. There was a nice selection of new and old. I love them all. Thanks again!

Eadie - I counted comments from you on THIRTEEN threads - far and away the most comments of anyone last month.

I have an abundance of books right now, so anyone who comments on author threads a lot (I counted the Agatha Christie threads in September, too) can expect a nice package the following month!

I DO go through every guest blog and featured author thread and list every one who commented. The number of books you all receive is related to the number of times you comment - it takes a minimum of four comments on author threads to be included in Got Books? each month.

And, as always, I hope if you all like the books I send, that you'll buy more by those authors here at B&N. We want to keep this forum going long into the future!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

P.S. I pick up mystery-related goodies from time to time, and include them in the Got Books? shipments (magnets, pins, notepads, magazines, etc.). You'll always find bookmarks in there, but unless I have a LOT of goodies on hand, those will go to the top commenters. Remember, this isn't a contest, it's an incentive to encourage participation on the board. You're all eligible! 

If you're new to the board and want to get into this, send me a message with your address. If I see your name on four or more threads at the of the month, you're in!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke for my Got Books! Wonderful selection as usual! It's like Christmas every month.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Thanks, Becke for my Got Books! Wonderful selection as usual! It's like Christmas every month.

You're well on your way to another package, Max! I've got lots of books to give away - if any of you are thinking of getting into this program, it's a good month to start!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Some of you have contacted me because you didn't get books this month. I'm really sorry about that - I do makes lists of the people who commented on AUTHOR threads every month. If you didn't comment on at least three or four author threads, you won't be getting a package. 

BUT if you comment on a LOT of the threads, you will be rewarded with MORE books. Got Books? is an incentive to encourage you all to interact with the guest authors and help me welcome them to B&N. It can be lonely and a little intimidating to authors when they don't see comments from anyone but me. I know there are a lot of people viewing without commenting, and that's fine. I started this program to reward those of you who make the time and effort to chat with the authors, even if it's just to stop in and say hello.

Mimosa Island, the Welcome thread and What are you reading now? don't count - this promotion is to encourage you to interact with the authors who visit us each week. It's VERY easy to get the books. You don't have to sign up or do any kind of pre-qualification. Comment three or four times on author threads, make sure I have your address, and the books will come.

I'm starting to accumulate quite a lot of books - I'd love to share them with you!

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

We are now in Massachusetts visiting our newest grandson, Noah, but my daughter called yesterday, letting me know she picked up my mail yesterday & I got some books.  Thank you, Becke!  I won't be home for two weeks, but I sure am excited to see what I got!  I haven't been on the computer for over a week, but I want to try and get on more now so I can keep up with things!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mailing the October Got Books? shipment today. Hope they arrive quickly!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The October Got Books? shipment went out on Monday.

To qualify for books in the November Got Books? shipment, post comments on AT LEAST three of the featured author threads. I'll count guest blog threads, too, since sometimes those authors stop by.

Mimosa Island and the What are you reading now? threads don't count UNLESS you provide some really useful information to our participants, such as news of a B&N sale or a Nook special.

The books are piling up - a mix of old and new. Post a few comments and get at least three books. Usually one or more of the books is brand new! If you haven't participated in Got Books? yet, what's stopping you?

Post three comments, and then click my name. Send me a private message with your address and you'll get a package when the next batch of books goes out.

As always, I want to stress that this is an incentive, not a contest. EVERYONE in the United States is eligible. I'm sorry I can't mail the book packages out of the U.S. - the postage is prohibitive and I can't afford it.

To those of you receiving packages, I hope you enjoy the books. If you like them, be sure to buy more from those authors right here at BN.com. THANK YOU!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please shoot me a note here, if you think of it, when your books arrive so I know they got there safely.

Cool bracelet I saw online:

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

When I opened my mailbox today, I saw the key for the box they use for packages, and assumed that it was what I was expecting - a couple of books I ordered from B&N earlier this week, a Carrie Bebris Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery, and a Nicola Upson Josephine Tey mystery.  So I was surprised when I saw that I GOT BOOKS!!!  Thanks, Becke!!!

After just chatting with William Peter Blatty, I think I will enjoy his book even more!  And of course I'm excited to receive another Josaphine Tey!  I've never read Patricia Wentworth or Julian Symons, but their names are familiar, and both covers describe them as Grand Masters, so I'm sure they will be great!

Thanks again!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dulcinea - I sent you the vintage books because I thought you'd enjoy them. I have loads of those!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I received my Got Books yesterday and was surprised at the amount of books. I've never read Murder in Mesopotamia and now I have a chance to read it. Thanks, Becke.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I received my Got Books yesterday and was surprised at the amount of books. I've never read Murder in Mesopotamia and now I have a chance to read it. Thanks, Becke.

Glad it arrived safely! I think everyone got some vintage books this time. Enjoy!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Just got home and found my GOT BOOKS in the door. Another great selection of new and vintage. Thanks Becke!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt