Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

This funny little cat has special meaning to me. My husband's aunt - only ten years older than us, and a very good friend to me - gave this to us (with costumes for every holiday) shortly before she died of cancer. She was, as my daughter says, a real firecracker. She loved animals and even though she was tiny - barely five feet tall - she would stand up to anyone who tried to hurt anyone weaker than they were.

 

 

My little tree - since it's going to be a quiet Christmas here, I only put up a little tree:

 



What a great mememto that is from your Aunt, becke! It's great that you have kept it in such good shape and even decorate it for Christmas! (Most live cats wouldn't stand for that kind of costuming, so it's nice to have a cat mannikin, or should I say, " cat-ikin", to do the modeling for them, heh heh).

Love your "little" tree, too, becke. Is that a butterfly at the top of the tree???? You know how I love butterflies, but I confess I never thought about using a butterfly as a Christmas-tree topper before. Totally awesome!!!!:smileylol:


P.S. I just put the tree up last night. I'll probably dig out more of my old ornaments to put on it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

I love the cat, Becke!  Very cute!  And a lovely remembrance of someone who meant a lot to you.

 

I like your little tree, too!  Since it's just me, I don't do a tree.  I do have a good collection of ornaments, though, and several metal stands for them - one is dark green and shaped like a tree.  But my current two cats are so active still (at 4) and mischievous, I don't dare use them.  I mostly have Christmas candles and little figurines out now, as well as window clings on my slider.  Maybe in a few years my cats will calm down!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 750
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

 

 

Hi Becke,

 

Sorry for your loss.

 

Very sweet  kitty. Do you have a name  for him or her ?   May be the Mystery Mascot ! 

   

With all the outfits would be fun.  We all love kitties here !   :smileyhappy:     

 

Optic

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


dulcinea3 wrote:

I love the cat, Becke!  Very cute!  And a lovely remembrance of someone who meant a lot to you.

 

I like your little tree, too!  Since it's just me, I don't do a tree.  I do have a good collection of ornaments, though, and several metal stands for them - one is dark green and shaped like a tree.  But my current two cats are so active still (at 4) and mischievous, I don't dare use them.  I mostly have Christmas candles and little figurines out now, as well as window clings on my slider.  Maybe in a few years my cats will calm down!


I think I would do a little tree if I was by myself, but it is a lot of work. Your ornament collection sounds cool!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


optic_i wrote:

 

 

Hi Becke,

 

Sorry for your loss.

 

Very sweet  kitty. Do you have a name  for him or her ?   May be the Mystery Mascot ! 

   

With all the outfits would be fun.  We all love kitties here !   :smileyhappy:     

 

Optic


I like that name!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

I like the name the Mystery Mascot also, becke.

Hmmm. Wasn't there a mystery cat in TS Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Cats? I believe his name was Macavity. However, your Mascot looks very sweet--  not the " Napoleon of Crime" that Macavity was supposed to be!

 

BTW, several years ago, when it became obvious that getting a Christmas tree and decorating it was becoming more and more of a chore for my parents, I got a table-top-sized fiber-optic tree for them. They loved it, because it had different colored lights, and they loved watching that. We did put a few ornaments on the tree, but it wasn't the decorating ordeal that we'd had in the past. With just the three of us adults, putting up a tree with all the decorations just didn't seem worth the time. But, for those of us who may be older adults, or spending the holiday alone, there are various options to the large Christmas tree. Many of our local grocery stores, for example, sell Rosemary plants that have been trimmed into Christmas tree shape. Take one of them home, and you have a nice little "tree" plus the great smell of Rosemary, and then when Christmas is over, you still have a great plant! There's also "Christmas Cactus" plants, Amaryllis bulbs that are supposed to bloom right around the 25th, and other kinds of options.

 

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


Fricka wrote:

I like the name the Mystery Mascot also, becke.

Hmmm. Wasn't there a mystery cat in TS Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Cats? I believe his name was Macavity. However, your Mascot looks very sweet--  not the " Napoleon of Crime" that Macavity was supposed to be!

 

BTW, several years ago, when it became obvious that getting a Christmas tree and decorating it was becoming more and more of a chore for my parents, I got a table-top-sized fiber-optic tree for them. They loved it, because it had different colored lights, and they loved watching that. We did put a few ornaments on the tree, but it wasn't the decorating ordeal that we'd had in the past. With just the three of us adults, putting up a tree with all the decorations just didn't seem worth the time. But, for those of us who may be older adults, or spending the holiday alone, there are various options to the large Christmas tree. Many of our local grocery stores, for example, sell Rosemary plants that have been trimmed into Christmas tree shape. Take one of them home, and you have a nice little "tree" plus the great smell of Rosemary, and then when Christmas is over, you still have a great plant! There's also "Christmas Cactus" plants, Amaryllis bulbs that are supposed to bloom right around the 25th, and other kinds of options.

 


This is a great idea! I have one of those little fiber optic trees. It's in my basement somewhere - maybe I'll dig it out.

 

About the Mystery Mascot, I'm going to take pictures of him in his seasonal costumes and post them here. Fun!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

Sorry for your loss, Becke, it's tough around the holidays without someone who has been around for a long time. I know I will definitely miss Max when he passes on. He has been a real treasure.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


maxcat wrote:

Sorry for your loss, Becke, it's tough around the holidays without someone who has been around for a long time. I know I will definitely miss Max when he passes on. He has been a real treasure.


My aunt died two years ago, but we used to see her at Christmas, so I think of her a lot this time of year.

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 750
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

Hi Becke, I have a feeling your Aunt would really like the Mystery Cat !   :smileyhappy:   Optic

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke, I have a feeling your Aunt would really like the Mystery Cat !   :smileyhappy:   Optic


Definitely! This was the last gift we gave her - she LOVED it!

 

Sorry, the embed code is blocked - here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yheKh8Em6c

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

My Got Books? came today and it was full of wonderful surprises! Thanks for the card, Becke. Love you for that thought. I love the Agatha Christie quiz book. I will have to see if my little grey cells are up to the questions. And the Journal that looked like a book! Amazing! I want to write something in it. Maybe Tiger's journey to an adult cat written in first person.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


maxcat wrote:

My Got Books? came today and it was full of wonderful surprises! Thanks for the card, Becke. Love you for that thought. I love the Agatha Christie quiz book. I will have to see if my little grey cells are up to the questions. And the Journal that looked like a book! Amazing! I want to write something in it. Maybe Tiger's journey to an adult cat written in first person.


Glad you liked the mix of old and new! Merry Christmas!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

[ Edited ]

I Got Books?!  Thanks, Becke!  I'm excited that there is one by the Lockridges in that anthology, because when you posted the American classics line-up, I was sorry that I no longer had a book that had three or four of the Mr. and Mrs. North mysteries, so I'm glad that I have one to read that month now, after all.  I think this one is with the Norths.  I recall them as being similar to Nick and Nora Charles.  And I love the cupcakes Christmas card!  Thanks again for being so generous!!!

 

Oh, and I thought it was hilarious that whoever stamped the price on that old paperback stamped it "10 cents" twice - once in each woman's cleavage!!!  Do you think they are cheap women???!!! :smileylol:  (cool - there are some new emoticons!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


dulcinea3 wrote:

I Got Books?!  Thanks, Becke!  I'm excited that there is one by the Lockridges in that anthology, because when you posted the American classics line-up, I was sorry that I no longer had a book that had three or four of the Mr. and Mrs. North mysteries, so I'm glad that I have one to read that month now, after all.  I think this one is with the Norths.  I recall them as being similar to Nick and Nora Charles.  And I love the cupcakes Christmas card!  Thanks again for being so generous!!!

 

Oh, and I thought it was hilarious that whoever stamped the price on that old paperback stamped it "10 cents" twice - once in each woman's cleavage!!!  Do you think they are cheap women???!!! :smileylol:  (cool - there are some new emoticons!)


LOL about the cheap women!

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎02-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

Got Books Becke!

 

Another great assortment of old and new.  My hubby's secretary saw them on the table and has already absconded with a couple!

 

Although I post weekly, sometimes I don't say a lot but just reading the other posts is great!  Intros to new authors (at least to me) has opened a whole new world

 

J

 

 

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


leisure_reader wrote:

Got Books Becke!

 

Another great assortment of old and new.  My hubby's secretary saw them on the table and has already absconded with a couple!

 

Although I post weekly, sometimes I don't say a lot but just reading the other posts is great!  Intros to new authors (at least to me) has opened a whole new world

 

J

 

 


I think it helps the authors just to know someone (besides me) is reading their comments, so thank you for posting!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

becke, this is a bit of a belated thank you for the package of books that I received last week.

By way of explanation why I haven't been posting so much in the forum during this time is not due to technical difficulties this time, but more personal ones. My parents celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary this past weekend. My brother and sister-in-law came in with a poinsettia plant, a cannister of three kinds of popcorn, a torte of Gorgonzola cheese, topped with nuts and cranberries, and crackers to go with the cheese. As if having all those yummy foods around for temptation wasn't enough, we all then went out to lunch together. I had  already given my parents two white tulip plants and a teeny fir tree decorated with a felt white star at the top and a couple of ornaments. I also got gift certificates for parents to dine at the Olive Garden restaurant. Then on Sunday,(yesterday) My parents got their gift of the card and gift cards, so we lunched at Olive Garden.

I am getting tired just thinking of the past week! Mon-Wed I worked, then Thursday and Friday I was shopping, both for Christmas and parents' anniversary. Bro and Sis-in-law came in on Saturday, which was the day before my parent's anniversary, and we had one celebration then. Then on Sunday we had another celebration. Must say, the waitress at the Olive Garden gave us the royal treatment! When I told her we were marking my parent's 63rd anniversary, she did everything she could to make our dining experience optimal. She brought two extra salad plates to the table for us, even though my dad and I had ordered soup instead of salad with our entrees, and she brought three of the dulce desserts for us, our choice, free of charge. We had a great time!( I had the Chocolate Mousse--ummmmm!)

Today, Dad has hired a man to work on our clothes drier, which apparently has some sort of bering loose, as it bangs terribly every time the drum turns. The repair man just got here, and I'm going to be making myself scarce by leaving to do some Christmas shopping.

Back to the book package.

becke, I loved the copy of Hangman's Holiday by Dorothy L. Sayers! I have almost all of the LPW books but not that one. Then the Mary Westmacott/AC book, and all those Josephine Tey books! Wonderful . To top it off, you included The Last Word, which is the latest from Ellery Adams! I can hardly wait to find what adventure awaits for Olivia Limoges and her standard black poodle, Captain Haviland!!!! Opening the package and finding all those great books inside was like an early Christmas! Thanks again!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?


Fricka wrote:

becke, this is a bit of a belated thank you for the package of books that I received last week.

By way of explanation why I haven't been posting so much in the forum during this time is not due to technical difficulties this time, but more personal ones. My parents celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary this past weekend. My brother and sister-in-law came in with a poinsettia plant, a cannister of three kinds of popcorn, a torte of Gorgonzola cheese, topped with nuts and cranberries, and crackers to go with the cheese. As if having all those yummy foods around for temptation wasn't enough, we all then went out to lunch together. I had  already given my parents two white tulip plants and a teeny fir tree decorated with a felt white star at the top and a couple of ornaments. I also got gift certificates for parents to dine at the Olive Garden restaurant. Then on Sunday,(yesterday) My parents got their gift of the card and gift cards, so we lunched at Olive Garden.

I am getting tired just thinking of the past week! Mon-Wed I worked, then Thursday and Friday I was shopping, both for Christmas and parents' anniversary. Bro and Sis-in-law came in on Saturday, which was the day before my parent's anniversary, and we had one celebration then. Then on Sunday we had another celebration. Must say, the waitress at the Olive Garden gave us the royal treatment! When I told her we were marking my parent's 63rd anniversary, she did everything she could to make our dining experience optimal. She brought two extra salad plates to the table for us, even though my dad and I had ordered soup instead of salad with our entrees, and she brought three of the dulce desserts for us, our choice, free of charge. We had a great time!( I had the Chocolate Mousse--ummmmm!)

Today, Dad has hired a man to work on our clothes drier, which apparently has some sort of bering loose, as it bangs terribly every time the drum turns. The repair man just got here, and I'm going to be making myself scarce by leaving to do some Christmas shopping.

Back to the book package.

becke, I loved the copy of Hangman's Holiday by Dorothy L. Sayers! I have almost all of the LPW books but not that one. Then the Mary Westmacott/AC book, and all those Josephine Tey books! Wonderful . To top it off, you included The Last Word, which is the latest from Ellery Adams! I can hardly wait to find what adventure awaits for Olivia Limoges and her standard black poodle, Captain Haviland!!!! Opening the package and finding all those great books inside was like an early Christmas! Thanks again!


Thank you so much for sharing your Christmas experiences with us! It's so much fun getting to know you all here - you're all like my extended family now!

 

So glad you liked the mix of books. Everyone got more old than new this time, I think - there was a staff change at one of the publishing houses and the books from them arrived later than usual. I had been sorting through the vintage books and thought you might all enjoy more of those for a change. 

 

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas - or whatever holiday you celebrate!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

[ Edited ]

Here's a picture of what I've been getting up to:

 

 

We're not exactly the Rockettes, but this is a wonderful group! I went to a Christmas party at Lori Foster's house on Friday, a mix of readers and authors. (I fall somewhere in the middle, I guess.) That's me on the left, attempting a Can-Can kick without breaking my neck. Lori Foster is second from right. The lovely lady in the red shirt, next to Lori, is Linda Keller, long-time Community Relations Manager of the Barnes & Noble in West Chester, Ohio and former RWA Bookseller of the Year.