Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

Uh-oh. Looks like the gnomes ate becke's last message!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Uh-oh. Looks like the gnomes ate becke's last message!

Can you see it now?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I see your question, becke, but nothing else.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I see your question, becke, but nothing else.

Geez, now I can't see it either. Go away, gnomes!

See if this one works:

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke, The gnomes may be eating our messages but at least not our books !

I got books today ! Thank you  :smileyhappy:   Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke, The gnomes may be eating our messages but at least not our books !

I got books today ! Thank you  :smileyhappy:   Optic

Yay! Thanks for letting me know!

If anyone else is new(ish) to the Mystery Forum, scroll back to the beginning of this thread to learn how you can get books, too!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Yay, I Got Books!!!  Thanks, Becke!  It was so thoughtful of you to send me a Charlotte Armstrong, so I can participate in that month's American Classic discussion!  I actually used to have a 3-in-1 volume of hers, including the one you sent, but I think I purged it many years ago.  When I saw your list of authors, I had to be sorry that I no longer had several of the authors, either through purges, or the incident when a former cat peed on a bottom book shelf.  The old anthology edited by Sayers is also cool, especially because it seem to have mostly horror-type mysteries, which kind of surprises me due to the Sayers connection; I wouldn't associate her with that genre.  And the bookworm eraser is so cute!  Thanks again!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Yay, I Got Books!!!  Thanks, Becke!  It was so thoughtful of you to send me a Charlotte Armstrong, so I can participate in that month's American Classic discussion!  I actually used to have a 3-in-1 volume of hers, including the one you sent, but I think I purged it many years ago.  When I saw your list of authors, I had to be sorry that I no longer had several of the authors, either through purges, or the incident when a former cat peed on a bottom book shelf.  The old anthology edited by Sayers is also cool, especially because it seem to have mostly horror-type mysteries, which kind of surprises me due to the Sayers connection; I wouldn't associate her with that genre.  And the bookworm eraser is so cute!  Thanks again!!!

"or the incident when a former cat peed on a bottom book shelf" - LOL!

Glad you liked the selection! And you all should have received the little bookworm eraser. I thought he was really cute!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Well, the silver lining was that after I disposed of the damaged books and cleaned the shelf, it made room for more books! :smileywink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Well, the silver lining was that after I disposed of the damaged books and cleaned the shelf, it made room for more books! :smileywink:

Boy, can I ever relate!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Boy, can I ever relate!

Same here! We are going to have to have you tell us more about that story sometime, dulcinea3. For now, I have to assume that the cat became your "former cat" after the peeing incident. :-) We've had a cat in our family that climbed the Christmas tree, felling it to the ground, but nothing like that. Wonder what would have caused your cat to do that, unless he/she was unhappy with you, and since those books probably had your scent on them, used them as target practice. I have to admit, funny as it sounds that that happened, I couldn't take a cat who would behave like that indoors.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that I can see all of becke's posts now, so apparently the gnomes have been sent packing, for the time being, at least. Hooray!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hurray! I'm so glad the gnomes have been banished!!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Boy, can I ever relate!

Same here! We are going to have to have you tell us more about that story sometime, dulcinea3. For now, I have to assume that the cat became your "former cat" after the peeing incident. :-) We've had a cat in our family that climbed the Christmas tree, felling it to the ground, but nothing like that. Wonder what would have caused your cat to do that, unless he/she was unhappy with you, and since those books probably had your scent on them, used them as target practice. I have to admit, funny as it sounds that that happened, I couldn't take a cat who would behave like that indoors.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that I can see all of becke's posts now, so apparently the gnomes have been sent packing, for the time being, at least. Hooray!

I have to admit that I'm not sure which cat it was.  But I did not make him a 'former cat' for that!  Ming was always temperamental, and I honestly think he just hated standing in the litter, so I had intermittent problems with him all along, and assumed it was him at first.  But it was just before Zorro passed away (at 17; he had diabetes and liver cancer), and I found that he was having some problems getting into the litterbox in time.  I found out when I heard an odd sound in the bathroom, and found him with only his front feet in the box and an embarrassed look on his face, poor thing.  So it could have been him (I have 2 boxes, the second is near that bookshelf).  They're both 'former' cats because Ming passed away three years later, at almost 19 years old.  No litterbox problems so far with Khan and Romeo, who are four now!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Thanks for a more detailed explaination of your cat's transgression, dulcinea3. It is an unfortunate fact that our pets do tend to lose some of their abilities as they age, and that often includes their urinary tract.Probably an easy solution to that would be to make sure none of your books is on a ground level--making it more difficult for a pet to have an accident that would harm the books. I must add that I think you chose great names for your cats!

becke, I just got my Got Books? package today! What a great surprise! Such a nice combination of hard cover and paperbacks, and that cute bookworm eraser is a treasure! Thanks so much--even though now my TBR pile is growing again!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Thanks for a more detailed explaination of your cat's transgression, dulcinea3. It is an unfortunate fact that our pets do tend to lose some of their abilities as they age, and that often includes their urinary tract.Probably an easy solution to that would be to make sure none of your books is on a ground level--making it more difficult for a pet to have an accident that would harm the books. I must add that I think you chose great names for your cats!

becke, I just got my Got Books? package today! What a great surprise! Such a nice combination of hard cover and paperbacks, and that cute bookworm eraser is a treasure! Thanks so much--even though now my TBR pile is growing again!

I always do a kind of "eenie meenie miney moe" when I put these packages together, trying to recall what you all like and what you've already read. Hope I guess right at least part of the time!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Thanks, Fricka!  I adopted Zorro from the shelter, and didn't know what to name him, so I called him "Babe" for a few days, until one day when he was sitting near the slider.  He was red and had big ears as a kitten, and reminded me of a fox - Zorro is Spanish for fox (and I was a Spanish major).  Most people were surprised that he wasn't black, thinking of the character Zorro, who always dressed in black!  I can't take credit for Ming, since my mother named him before they found out that my father was very allergic to him, so he came to live with me and Zorro.  I would have liked to name him Kublai Khan, but thought my mother might be upset if I renamed him, and after I got to know him, Genghis Khan would have suited him better!  I still liked the name for a Siamese, so I got my chance with Khan, whom I can easily picture reclining on luxurious cushions in a "stately pleasure dome"; too much trouble to say Kublai Khan all the time, so it got shortened to Khan.  His shelter name was Sabian, which I found very odd.  Romeo had a much more apt shelter name - Rascal, which I considered keeping, but when I got him home, he kept jumping up into my arms and pressing his head against my mouth for kisses, so I decided he was definitely a Romeo!  Plus it was so great finally having a cat that actually wanted me to kiss him, as opposed to the faintly disgusted air that most cats have when kissed!  Any cats I have have to get used to it!

With only a 'garden style' condo, I don't have many choices on where to put the second box, and the spare room, that I use mostly for storage, was more acceptable to me than the kitchen, my bedroom, or the living room!  I have two bookshelves in there, and many more books than would justify my leaving any shelves bare!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke, I got Books! I've never had a cat pee on my books. My older cat just climbs on top of them when I'm reading to get attention! He was also the one that put teeth marks in every library book I took out when he was younger. My last visit to the library got me one of those books. How well I remember that! What an embarassment! Anyway, another month of good reads and the Erle Stanley Gardner paperback will come in handy week after next. These books are hard to find!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Thanks, Becke, I got Books! I've never had a cat pee on my books. My older cat just climbs on top of them when I'm reading to get attention! He was also the one that put teeth marks in every library book I took out when he was younger. My last visit to the library got me one of those books. How well I remember that! What an embarassment! Anyway, another month of good reads and the Erle Stanley Gardner paperback will come in handy week after next. These books are hard to find!

One of my cats, who much preferred to be outdoors, would occasionally express his displeasure by "spraying" things. It drove me insane! 

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Thanks for the books Becke.  Once again, a great assortment.  And the Bookworm was way cute. 

I don't know how much I will be able to post over the next few months due to some major things happening at work-new Electronic Health Record (I am part IT), a new phone system (ditto), and a major accreditation/certification coming up soon (ditto and that big gray area of other duties as asssigned).  I think I will be eating, sleeping, and living work.

I will continue to drop in when I can.  Maybe share a little wine-thirty time.

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

Thanks for the books Becke.  Once again, a great assortment.  And the Bookworm was way cute. 

I don't know how much I will be able to post over the next few months due to some major things happening at work-new Electronic Health Record (I am part IT), a new phone system (ditto), and a major accreditation/certification coming up soon (ditto and that big gray area of other duties as asssigned).  I think I will be eating, sleeping, and living work.

J

leisure_reader wrote:

J

Glad you liked the books! You know you're always welcome here, whenever you have time. Don't work too hard - we'll miss you!