Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

becke_davis wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

First, B&N doesn't allow contests here so I want to stress this is NOT a contest. It is an incentive, though.

I would like to encourage you all to stop by our guest author threads and say hello - you don't have to feel guilty if you haven't read the authors' books. This isn't a traditional book club, and part of the fun here is getting to meet and chat with authors.

The authors often have fascinating stories to tell and you may also discover new books to try. 

Here's the deal. I have a LOT of books in my personal collection. My brother manages a bookstore and sends me lots of Advance Reader Copies (when they are no longer Advance), I get books from publishers and I buy a lot of books. Before I even started working here, I had thousands of books, and that number never seems to go down.

My kids are grown and one of these days, my husband and I are going to move to a smaller place. We're going to have to bite the bullet and give away some books. Since you all like to read, here's the plan:

Stop in and chat with every featured author this month, and say hi to our guests during the Meet the Publisher week later this month. That's all you have to do! I'll send three books from my personal library to everyone who participates. Some of the books may be new, some will be vintage.

There is method to my madness. I'm hoping this will encourage you to read/buy more by the authors whose books I send you because, after all, Barnes & Noble is a bookstore!

I'll keep track, but at the end of the month be sure to send me a personal message with your address so I know where to mail the books. Thanks for participating!

WOW!!   not that I need ANY more books, but what a way to read books I may have never would read other wise.  I have and do swap  and crossing , as well as share with friends/family.  My mom takes hardback books to her 'community library'.  they are able to take and read and either donate it back or others; basically a swap.   no check out, no $$.  just books (and puzzles)   Very cool!

Yep, think of it as a pay-it-forward. Keep the ones you want and pass on the rest.

I just mailed the first batch of this month's Got Books? packages. I ran out of boxes and packing tape, so the rest will go out on Monday. Sorry for the delay!

:smileyvery-happy: I didn't think you'd be mad. I passed a couple I finished my mom's way. It only made since to spread the book love around.

becke_davis

Tigger - I ENCOURAGE you to read these books and pass them on. Or read the books that appeal to you, and pass on the rest. Spread the love ...

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Woo-hoo - I GOT BOOKS - and how!!!  Thanks so much, Becke!!!  What a treasure trove!!!  A few new books about Agatha Christie to add to my collection; I'm especially excited about the travel book about England, so I can read all about the locations, even if I never get there myself (and there's even a chapter on apples that mentions Ariadne Oliver)!  And most of the mysteries look to be cozies - right up my alley!  I have no idea what that book is (romance novel?) on the necklace, but it's a really pretty necklace!  I love the color of the beads!

Becke, you are just so sweet and generous to do this for us!  Of course, you are also just infecting us with 'Excessive TBR Syndrome' - but I love it!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm so glad you liked the books! If anyone else wants to get books next month, all you have to do is comment on Joelle's thread and the three other author threads this month. That's it!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Just got the surprise package with books in it from becke! If there is anything better than getting a new book, it is getting a new FREE book! :smileyvery-happy: Thanks so much, becke!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Just got the surprise package with books in it from becke! If there is anything better than getting a new book, it is getting a new FREE book! :smileyvery-happy: Thanks so much, becke!

Enjoy!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll be attending the Magna cum Murder conference in Muncie, Indiana this weekend and when I get back I'll be packing up the next batch of Got Books?

It's been quieter than usual here this month, so - unlike last month - this time I WILL be checking the visiting author threads. Everyone who posted at least one comment on each of those four threads will Get Books. Those who posted a lot of comments will be rewarded accordingly.

If you didn't participate in October, a new month of Got Books? will kick off on Monday, when Annie Solomon joins us. Make a comment of each of November's five featured author threads and at the end of the month, I'll be packing books for you.

This is really easy, and you'll be helping me keep my house from sinking under the weight of all these books. A lot of you have already participated - don't take my word for it. There isn't a catch!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm putting together the Got Books? packages and I'm trying to decide who gets what. Harlequin sent me a stack of freebies and another publisher sent me several new releases that aren't mystery at all but VERY hot romances. If any of you would like those, shoot me a personal message. 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Becke:

I GOT BOOKS yesterday! Thanks so much for the mixed genre selections. They all look great and I can't wait to read all about "Eve Duncan".

Great to hear that you are going to Florida for Chistmas to visit Jessica! Tell her I said hi - she is so sweet and such a beautiful person. Your lucky to have such a great daughter!

We are going to an AICC (Associates of International Corrugated Converters) Convention (anything to do with making a cardboard box - machinery, pulp paper, printers etc.) in Fort Lauderdale in April then we are going back to the Grand Floridian. My husband wants to golf and he said that I can go to the spa. Of course, I will bring some books and sit out my the pool too!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Becke:

I GOT BOOKS yesterday! Thanks so much for the mixed genre selections. They all look great and I can't wait to read all about "Eve Duncan".

Great to hear that you are going to Florida for Chistmas to visit Jessica! Tell her I said hi - she is so sweet and such a beautiful person. Your lucky to have such a great daughter!

We are going to an AICC (Associates of International Corrugated Converters) Convention (anything to do with making a cardboard box - machinery, pulp paper, printers etc.) in Fort Lauderdale in April then we are going back to the Grand Floridian. My husband wants to golf and he said that I can go to the spa. Of course, I will bring some books and sit out my the pool too!

I'm so glad you liked the assortment of books. It's always hard trying to decide what to send who!

If you go to the Grand Floridian again, be sure to stop in and say hi to Jessica!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Becke:

I'm so glad you liked the assortment of books. It's always hard trying to decide what to send who!

If you go to the Grand Floridian again, be sure to stop in and say hi to Jessica!

Of course, we will stop to see Jessica again - we also want to try the other restaurant there - can't remember the name. We couldn't get a reservation when we were there but we will make one in advance next time. But Citricos definitely will be on our list too!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Becke:

Of course, we will stop to see Jessica again - we also want to try the other restaurant there - can't remember the name. We couldn't get a reservation when we were there but we will make one in advance next time. But Citricos definitely will be on our list too!

There are a couple of other restaurants at the Grand Floridian. Narcussi's (sp?) is a little more casual than Citricos, and Victoria & Albert's is dark and romantic and tres expensive. My personal favorite, besides Citricos, is the English Tea Room on the main level. We're going to stay with my daughter over the holidays, since she has to work Christmas and New Years, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the tree at the Grand Floridian, and the gingerbread house!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Becke:

There are a couple of other restaurants at the Grand Floridian. Narcussi's (sp?) is a little more casual than Citricos, and Victoria & Albert's is dark and romantic and tres expensive. My personal favorite, besides Citricos, is the English Tea Room on the main level. We're going to stay with my daughter over the holidays, since she has to work Christmas and New Years, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the tree at the Grand Floridian, and the gingerbread house!

Victoria and Albert's is the one my husband wants to try - it's expensive but looks delightful. I did see the English Tea Room but we mainly went to the Cafe which has wonderful food. I'd love to see their Christmas tree but I guess it will be decorated for Easter by time I get there. Your trip sounds wonderful - great time of year to go!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here are some pix I found online of the Grand Floridian at Christmas - I'm on my laptop and I don't have my own pictures saved here.

Gingerbread House at Disney's Grand Floridian ResortChristmas Tree at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort

becke_davis
0 Kudos

If any of you did NOT get books and think you qualified, let me know. It's possible I could have missed someone. Plus, I always worry a package might get lost in the mail.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Here are some pix I found online of the Grand Floridian at Christmas - I'm on my laptop and I don't have my own pictures saved here.

Gingerbread House at Disney's Grand Floridian ResortChristmas Tree at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort

Gorgeous! My daughters were remarking that when you sit in the lobby and look up at the high ceilings that they thought they were on a cruise ship because you also see all the different floors!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm not much for cruises - I'll take the Grand Floridian and dry ground instead!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'm not much for cruises - I'll take the Grand Floridian and dry ground instead!

Me too - I get seasick!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Woo-hoo, I Got Books!!!  Thanks, Becke!!!  I especially like the Halloween one, which I think I'll save for next year (if I can resist until then), and the one featuring Josephine Tey as a character!  I didn't know if you remembered that I like those author-as-sleuth mysteries - I wonder if there is a name for that subgenre yet.  And of course, thanks for the neat extras.  I love, love, love the Agatha Christie keychain!!!

The NovelKeys pewter key chains, wine stoppers, tea infusers, and keepsake boxes feature more than 100 quotes from famous writers including Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Jane Austen, Emily Dickinson, Albert Einstein and many others.

It's so much fun - like Christmas!!!  My TBR is getting dangerous, though, so I think I'll take a break.

Oh, BTW, my mother also gets seasick, but has found that if the cruise is on a river or other shallow water, she doesn't have that problem.  She just got back from a weeklong cruise along the SE coast, from Charleston to Jacksonville, and she absolutely loved it!  This is her first time traveling alone since my father passed away last year, and she was nervous, but she is a total social butterfly (unlike me), and had a blast!  She has already signed up for another next summer, in the Chesapeake Bay area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm so glad you enjoyed the books - I always put in little extras, but you all get different goodies. Many of them are promotional items from authors, other times I'll see a little something that makes me think of one of you. Enjoy!