Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Got Books?

[ Edited ]

First, B&N doesn't allow contests here so I want to stress this is NOT a contest. It is an incentive, though.

I would like to encourage you all to stop by our guest author threads and say hello - you don't have to feel guilty if you haven't read the authors' books. This isn't a traditional book club, and part of the fun here is getting to meet and chat with authors.

The authors often have fascinating stories to tell and you may also discover new books to try. 

Here's the deal. I have a LOT of books in my personal collection. My brother manages a bookstore and sends me lots of Advance Reader Copies (when they are no longer Advance), I get books from publishers and I buy a lot of books. Before I even started working here, I had thousands of books, and that number never seems to go down.

My kids are grown and one of these days, my husband and I are going to move to a smaller place. We're going to have to bite the bullet and give away some books. Since you all like to read, here's the plan:

Stop in and chat with every featured author this month, and say hi to our guests during the Meet the Publisher week later this month. That's all you have to do! I'll send three books from my personal library to everyone who participates. Some of the books may be new, some will be vintage.

There is method to my madness. I'm hoping this will encourage you to read/buy more by the authors whose books I send you because, after all, Barnes & Noble is a bookstore!

I'll keep track, but at the end of the month be sure to send me a personal message with your address so I know where to mail the books. Thanks for participating!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Got Books?

becke_davis wrote:

First, B&N doesn't allow contests here so I want to stress this is NOT a contest. It is an incentive, though.

I would like to encourage you all to stop by our guest author threads and say hello - you don't have to feel guilty if you haven't read the authors' books. This isn't a traditional book club, and part of the fun here is getting to meet and chat with authors.

The authors often have fascinating stories to tell and you may also discover new books to try. 

Here's the deal. I have a LOT of books in my personal collection. My brother manages a bookstore and sends me lots of Advance Reader Copies (when they are no longer Advance), I get books from publishers and I buy a lot of books. Before I even started working here, I had thousands of books, and that number never seems to go down.

My kids are grown and one of these days, my husband and I are going to move to a smaller place. We're going to have to bite the bullet and give away some books. Since you all like to read, here's the plan:

Stop in and chat with every featured author this month, and say hi to our guests during the Meet the Publisher week later this month. That's all you have to do! I'll send three books from my personal library to everyone who participates. Some of the books may be new, some will be vintage.

There is method to my madness. I'm hoping this will encourage you to read/buy more by the authors whose books I send you because, after all, Barnes & Noble is a bookstore!

I'll keep track, but at the end of the month be sure to send me a personal message with your address so I know where to mail the books. Thanks for participating!

Becke:

I sent you a PM.

Becke isn't lying. I got books today.

Can't lose with this incentive! Meet and greet new authors and read great books!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yay! Two of you got your "incentive" packages today, which was really fast considering there was no mail yesterday. This month there's only four guest authors to visit, plus there will be a Meet the Publisher thread later in the month. All you have to do is comment on those 5 threads at least once and I'll be sending you some books from my collection at the end of the month.

Be prepared, though - some of these books may be part of a series. Your TBR pile may grow after you read the ones I send you!

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Yay! Two of you got your "incentive" packages today, which was really fast considering there was no mail yesterday. This month there's only four guest authors to visit, plus there will be a Meet the Publisher thread later in the month. All you have to do is comment on those 5 threads at least once and I'll be sending you some books from my collection at the end of the month.

Be prepared, though - some of these books may be part of a series. Your TBR pile may grow after you read the ones I send you!

Hey Becke! I got my package a few days ago and haven't had time to thank you thank you thank you! I'm so excited about this months authors!

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think all but one of the boxes have arrived now. Hope you all like the assortment you received. Enjoy!

becke_davis

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I think all but one of the boxes have arrived now. Hope you all like the assortment you received. Enjoy!

I just received my box in the mail today, Becke! I love the books, and the bookmarks are an added bonus! THANK YOU!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I just received my box in the mail today, Becke! I love the books, and the bookmarks are an added bonus! THANK YOU!

I hope you like the selection!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Oh, I do! BTW, I have discovered that the Nancy Pickard book is signed! What a bonus!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Oh, I do! BTW, I have discovered that the Nancy Pickard book is signed! What a bonus!

:smileywink:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Okay, now that my daughter has gone back home, I'm catching up on my to-do list. First up is packing up books for the Got Books? incentive program.

I have addresses from most of you, but I think I'm missing a few. If you have been posting on all the visiting author threads, please send me a PM with your address (if you haven't done that already).

Also, I have mysteries (new and vintage), romantic suspense, historical romance, contemporary romance, paranormals and some hot romance stories. Shoot me a note telling me your preferences for this month. Thanks!

got books.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This month I mailed out 10 boxes of free books to people who posted on (most) visiting author threads and the Meet the Publisher thread.

I've got another big box of books set aside for the next round, including some brand new releases. This isn't a contest, it's an incentive to encourage you to participate in the discussions and make our guests feel welcome.

This is open to everyone. I hope you will enjoy the books I send, and that it will encourage you to buy more books by those authors here at BN.com!

The next round of Got Books? is now open. Chat with our guests now through the end of September if you want to be included. It is NOT necessary for you to be familiar with our guest author's books - just stop in and welcome them.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

My set of books arrived several days ago! Whoopeee! Thanks, becke!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Great, Fricka! I think everyone has there's for this round.

Note to others who may be reading this: Got Books? is open to everyone.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I will definetly do my best to participate next month.  What a fantastic idea Becke!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I will definetly do my best to participate next month.  What a fantastic idea Becke!

My husband is very happy to see the level of books at our house going down a little!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Got Books? is up and running for September. Don't forget, in order to qualify for this incentive you'll need to stop in and welcome our guests. Today it's Lydia Stone from Torquay, England's Agatha Christie Festival. Yesterday, author Karin Slaughter visited.

Since Monday is a holiday, I will be posting a guest blog but the author won't be visiting. On Tuesday, author KATHERINE HALL PAGE will be visiting. Katherine is the author of THE BODY IN THE IVY, a mystery written in homage to Agatha Christie.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Want Books?

I've got stacks and stacks of books to give away, so be sure to stop in and post a comment on our guest author threads. That's all it takes to share my books! I have so many there's barely room to move around here. This isn't a contest, but it IS an incentive that you have to earn. I'll be getting a shipment of books ready next week, so go talk to some authors before this round is over!

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

WOW!!   not that I need ANY more books, but what a way to read books I may have never would read other wise.  I have and do swap  and crossing , as well as share with friends/family.  My mom takes hardback books to her 'community library'.  they are able to take and read and either donate it back or others; basically a swap.   no check out, no $$.  just books (and puzzles)   Very cool!

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

WOW!!   not that I need ANY more books, but what a way to read books I may have never would read other wise.  I have and do swap  and crossing , as well as share with friends/family.  My mom takes hardback books to her 'community library'.  they are able to take and read and either donate it back or others; basically a swap.   no check out, no $$.  just books (and puzzles)   Very cool!

Yep, think of it as a pay-it-forward. Keep the ones you want and pass on the rest.

I just mailed the first batch of this month's Got Books? packages. I ran out of boxes and packing tape, so the rest will go out on Monday. Sorry for the delay!