Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog - Author Q&A: Rebecca Cantrell and James Rollins

[ Edited ]

Today's guest blog is by New York Times Best Selling Author REBECCA CANTRELL, who has joined us in the past. Her latest release, BLOOD GOSPEL, is something different for her. For a start, it's co-authored with James Rollins. Rebecca has put together a Q&A with herself and James Rollins for the Mystery Forum.

James Rollins has also been featured here before - I'm not sure if he will be joining us, but you can check out his previous visits here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-Author-JAMES-ROLLINS/m-p/1119676/highl...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-JAMES-ROLLINS/m-p/1353696/highli...

Check these out, too:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/The-NOOK-Blog/3-Things-You-Don-t-Know-About-James-Rollins/ba-...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/James-Rollins-on-The-Judas/Hello-from-James-Rollins/m-p/88059...

You can check out Rebecca's past visits here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/IT-S-TUESDAY-Visiting-Authors-Today-are-Kelli-Stanley...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-REBECCA-CANTRELL/m-p/1362148/hig...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Guest-Blog-by-Author-REBECCA-CANTRELL/m-p/982568/high...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/B-N-Bookseller-Picks/A-Trace-of-Smoke-by-Rebecca-Cantrell/idi...

Read on...

The Order of the Sanguines Series

The Blood Gospel  

Overview

In his first-ever collaboration, New York Times bestselling author James Rollins combines his skill for cutting-edge science and historical mystery with award-winning novelist Rebecca Cantrell's talent for haunting suspense and sensual atmosphere in a gothic tale about an ancient order and the hunt for a miraculous book known only as . . . The Blood Gospel

An earthquake in Masada, Israel, kills hundreds and reveals a tomb buried in the heart of the mountain. A trio of investigators—Sergeant Jordan Stone, a military forensic expert; Father Rhun Korza, a Vatican priest; and Dr. Erin Granger, a brilliant but disillusioned archaeologist—are sent to explore the macabre discovery, a subterranean temple holding the crucified body of a mummified girl.

But a brutal attack at the site sets the three on the run, thrusting them into a race to recover what was once preserved in the tomb's sarcophagus: a book rumored to have been written by Christ's own hand, a tome that is said to hold the secrets to His divinity. The enemy who hounds them is like no other, a force of ancient evil directed by a leader of impossible ambitions and incalculable cunning.

From crumbling tombs to splendorous churches, Erin and her two companions must confront a past that traces back thousands of years, to a time when ungodly beasts hunted the dark spaces of the world, to a moment in history when Christ made a miraculous offer, a pact of salvation for those who were damned for eternity.

Here is a novel that is explosive in its revelation of a secret history. Why do Catholic priests wear pectoral crosses? Why are they sworn to celibacy? Why do the monks hide their countenances under hoods? And why does Catholicism insist that the consecration of wine during Mass results in its transformation to Christ's own blood? The answers to all go back to a secret sect within the Vatican, one whispered as rumor but whose very existence was painted for all to see by Rembrandt himself, a shadowy order known simply as the Sanguines.

In the end, be warned: some books should never be found, never opened—until now.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog - Author Q&A: Rebecca Cantrell and James Rollins

[ Edited ]

City of Screams  

Overview

From New York Times bestselling author James Rollins and award-winning suspense novelist Rebecca Cantrell comes a disturbing story of vengeance, bloodshed, and creatures that prowl the night.

In the haunted, war-torn highlands of Afghanistan, amid the ruins of Shahr-e-Gholghol, an archaeology team is massacred in the night. Sergeant Jordan Stone and his crack forensic team are called in to examine the site, to hunt for the perpetrators of this horrific act. But the discovery of a survivor—a child of ten—will shatter all the team knows about life and death. Among the crumbling bones of dead kings, something hoary and murderous stirs out of the ancient past, lurching forward to claim vengeance on those still living.

Included with this thrilling story is a sneak peek at The Blood Gospel, where the further exploits of Sergeant Stone and his team will be revealed.

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by REBECCA CANTRELL

About Rebecca

Rebecca Cantrell author photograph

STORY BEHIND THE STORIES…

A few years ago Rebecca Cantrell quit her job, sold her house, and moved to Hawaii to write a novel because, at seven, she decided that she would be a writer. She writes the Hannah Vogel mystery series set in Berlin in the 1930s, including A Trace of Smoke, A Night of Long Knives, A Game of Lies, and A City of Broken Glass.

She also writes the Order of the Sanguines series with New York Times bestselling thriller author James Rollins. The first in the series, The Blood Gospel, will appear in January 2013.

A faded pink triangle pasted on the wall of Dachau Concentration Camp and time in Berlin, Germany in the 1980s inspired the Hannah Vogel series. Fluent in German, she received her high school diploma from the John F. Kennedy Schule in Berlin and studied at the Freie Universität in Berlin and the Georg August Universität in Göttingen before graduating from Carnegie Mellon University.

When she visited Berlin in the summer of 2006, she was astounded to discover that many locations in her novel have been rebuilt and reopened in the last few years, including the gay bar El Dorado and the Mosse House publishing house.

Her short stories have appeared in the Missing and First Thrills anthologies.

Her screenplays The Humanitarian and A Taste for Blood were finalists at Shriekfest: The Los Angeles Horror/Sci-fi Film Festival.

As of this writing, she and her family just moved to Berlin to spend more time in Hannah’s world.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

News about A City of Broken Glass

• Wonderful review of “A City of Broken Glass” in USA Today
  • Starred review of “A City of Broken Glass” in Library Journal “compulsively readable…Cantrell’s series stands tall.”
  • Great reviews of “A City of Broken Glass” at Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and Poisoned Pen ! PW said: “The opening of Cantrell’s gripping fourth novel featuring journalist Hannah Vogel finds Vogel and her 13-year-old son, Anton, in 1938 Poland…Cantrell poignantly conveys the plight of Nazi Germany’s Jews through the story of one child.”
  • Great mention of A City of Broken Glass at Library Journal Mystery Preview, Grasping the Unfathomable

News for A Game of Lies and Hannah Vogel:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

From Rebecca's blog: http://rebeccacantrell.com/blog/

Rebecca Cantrell

Berlin Dispatch: Why be silent? To listen.

by Rebecca Cantrell

I’ve been strangely silent since I moved to Berlin. Strange for me, anyway.
Maybe it’s the stresses of packing a house that we lived in for a decade, winnowing it down to a storage room and a couple of suitcases, and hopping on a plane to travel halfway around the world. Or maybe it’s the hassle of finding an apartment in Berlin Mitte (the hottest district) while sorting out all the paperwork that magically appears when you leave one country for another. Or maybe it’s the adjustment of switching my brain from German to English and back.

going away party hawaii

Or maybe it’s because I’ve been listening.

In Kona I listened to the waves, the birds, the rustle of wind through the palms for a decade. I had space in those sounds to listen all the way back to Berlin in the 1930s. But then things changed. I left the cobalt blue water and black volcanic beaches of Hawaii for the second largest city in the European Union. I replaced blue skies with largely gray ones, sultry days for chilly ones, sand with cobblestones.
Everyone I meet here asks me “why?”

city of broken glass

I have a list of good reasons: terrific international schools for my son, a lively art scene for my artist husband, I’m right in the center of Hannah Vogel’s world (so I can more easily research the novels). All true. All important.
Today one of those Hannah Vogel books got to come home.  Here is a picture of the latest in the series, A City of Broken Glass, resting on a Berlin windowsill. My Berlin windowsill.
Because, for the first time in over twenty years, I have a window in Berlin again. I can
look through it and see the city, or I can open it and listen.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rebecca also writes as Bekka Black:

iDrakula  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

THIS WEEK - January 8,  Barnes & Noble, Roseville, CA, joint signing with James Rollins

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog - Author Q&A: Rebecca Cantrell and James Rollins

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rebecca's website is here: http://rebeccacantrell.com/

You can find her on Facebook here and here

James' website is here: http://www.jamesrollins.com/

He's on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/sigmaforce

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BIOGRAPHY

James Rollins is the New York Timesbestselling author of international thrillers, translated into more than forty languages. His Sigma series has been lauded as one of the "top crowd pleasers" (New York Times) and one of the "hottest summer reads" (People Magazine). In each novel, acclaimed for its originality, Rollins unveils unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets--and he does it all at breakneck speed and with stunning insight.

Known for building high-octane adventures on a solid science foundation, Jim juxtaposes the familiar with the exotic and then turbo-charges his tales with suspense. Always mindful of historys legacy, Jim reveals how secrets, some hidden for centuries, can change the course of human events. His novels explore how advancing technology can impact society not just by the physical threats of unchecked developments, but also the spiritual and moral challenges that result. The true terror of technology is not the cogs and the wheels, but how it will change us, he says.

Jim has brought readers at least one book a year since his first thriller, Subterranean, was published in 1999. His novels have been deemed perfect "summer reads" by reviewers in publications as diverse as People magazine, USA Today, and Publisher's Weekly. His books have been translated for readers in 32 countries outside the United States.

The exotic locales of James Rollins novels have emerged as a hybrid between imagination, research, and Jims extensive travels throughout the United States and Europe, as well as New Zealand, the South Pacific, China, Southeast Asia, Africa, Australia, and South America. Recent travel includes book tours and stops across the country and several European nations, meeting readers and giving talks, seminars, and media interviews.

In recent years, much of Jims travel has involved meeting readers in small and large groups, at writing and fan conferences, and even at seagoing seminars. Jims mentoring skills and generosity have made him a popular writing instructor and guest speaker for workshops, symposia, conventions, and other forums throughout the country. He is among the core faculty of the annual Hawaii Writers Conference and Retreat.

In 2005, Jim joined other luminaries in the genre to create International Thriller Writers, Inc., to recognize and promote the thriller genre, to provide opportunities for mentoring, education, and collegiality among authors and industry professionals, and to grant awards for excellence in the genre. In 2009 Jim served as the Co-President ofITW alongside Steve Berry.

As a boy, James Rollins immersed himself in the scientific adventures of Doc Savage, the wonders of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, and pulps featuring The Shadow, The Spider, and The Avenger. From there sparked the desire to become a writer himself. Already an accomplished storyteller, spinning elaborate tales that often were at the heart of pranks played on his brothers and sisters, Jim went on to hone his writing skills.

Before he would set heroes and villains on harrowing adventures, however, Jim pursued a career in veterinary medicine, graduating from the University of Missouri and establishing a successful veterinary clinic in Sacramento, California. This hands-on knowledge of, and interest in, medicine and science help shape the research and scientific speculation that set James Rollins' books apart.

When Jim is not writing, touring, giving seminars, or making presentations, he can be found spelunking, scuba diving, hiking, and/or traveling. Jim and his two- and four-legged family members live amid chew toys and paleontological treasures in Northern California.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

How did The Blood Gospel start for you?

James: It started in a museum in Los Angeles. I stopped in front of the painting “The Raising of Lazarus” by Rembrandt.  Certain things struck me as odd about that painting. It is supposedly Lazarus coming back from the dead. Everyone should be happy, thrilled that he has come back to life and is returning to them. But all the people in Rembrandt's painting look absolutely horrified.  Why?

In the pose that Christ takes in that photograph with his hand upraised, which back in Roman times was the making of a pact, the swearing of an oath. But what was Lazarus swearing to do?

These questions became the genesis of the story.

Rebecca: For me, it started when Jim called to ask me to work with him, so in the parking lot at Target. Jim started off pretty cagey. When I asked what the project was about, he said, “It’s confidential.”

Did I want to work on a confidential project? I’d worked on lots of confidential stuff in high tech, but I suspected this wasn’t the same.  “Can you answer yes or no questions?” I asked. I figured I could get some of the biggest details that way.

There was a 10 second silence on the phone and then he just caved and said, “Fine. Here’s the whole story.” Jim’s not that tough under interrogation. J

He started out talking about Lazarus and then ended with, “So, what if that painting indicates that Christ was asking Lazarus to swear an oath to serve him, to live on his blood alone? On transubstantiated wine?”  I was hooked. I’d often wondered about the Catholic ceremony of Mass, where the wine is supposed to transubstantiate into Christ’s blood. Protestants view that as a metaphor, but Catholics view it as an absolute truth. What if it was true, but not for the reasons that everyone had always thought?

Has that been a controversial premise?

James: To say the least. Since we had one character turning from non-believer to believer, another character who is a devout priest, and the Church itself plays a heroic role, I didn’t expect Catholics to be so angry. I was surprised.

Rebecca: I expected more of a reaction than Jim did, which is funny since he is the one who was raised Catholic. I thought that taking such a sacred ritual as Mass and profaning it by saying that Christ’s blood was used to feed vampires was bound to upset some people, even when presented in a fictional work.

James:  But in “Map of Bones,” I had a character poison the communion wafer and kill the entire congregation! That didn’t provoke the kinds of responses that The Blood Gospel has.

Rebecca: I’ve never written anything that was so polarizing, either, but I think those reactions show how strongly people react to the novel, how seriously they take the characters and their dilemmas, how much they connect with the world that we’ve created there. Better a passionate response than a lukewarm one.

What’s next?

James: We’re going to keep causing trouble, I guess.

Rebecca: Because we’re most of the way through the second novel in the series, currently titled Punishment of Silver.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Hi, Rebecca and James, I hope you have a great visit.

I will look into reading your books.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

James and Rebecca - Have you had any interest from Hollywood yet? (I know today is the official release day, but still...) I would think someone would jump on the movie rights for BLOOD GOSPEL!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Congratulations on your release day!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Rebecca and James, it's nice to meet you here on the Forum. James, I've read a lot of your books and they are scary. This new series sounds intriguing and I will probably buy it when the book comes out. Have a great visit.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Rebecca and James:

Just finished A City of Glass and enjoyed it very much. I've also read Altar of Eden and loved that one too. Can't wait to read Blood Gospel.

Thanks for visiting with us.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt