becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author AVERY AAMES!

[ Edited ]

I know you'll recognize today's guest blogger, AVERY AAMES. Avery has visited with us before - her Cheese Shop mysteries have quite a following here!

Avery Aames is the author of A Cheese Shop Mystery series.  The first, THE LONG QUICHE GOODBYE, is a national bestseller and won the Agatha Award for best first novel. The second, LOST AND FONDUE, came out May 3rd. Avery blogs at Mystery Lovers Kitchen, http://www.mysteryloverskitchen - a blog for foodies who love mysteries. And some of her characters show up on the Killer Characters blog, http://killercharacters.com  

Check out Avery's previous feature here: 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-AVERY-AAMES-to-our-Month-of-Cozy-ish-C...

Her website is here: http://www.averyaames.com/

And her Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000030199236

Picture of Avery Aames.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author AVERY AAMES!

Picture of Avery Aames

Avery Aames is the pseudonym for Daryl Wood Gerber.  As Avery, she signed her first three-book publishing contract with Berkley Prime Crime and is writing A Cheese Shop Mystery Series, the first of which, The Long Quiche Goodbye, will appear July 2010. The series is set in idyllic Holmes County, Ohio, and features Charlotte Bessette, a feisty cheese shop owner with a colorful extended family.

Daryl has also had short stories published and she created the format for the successful TV series Out of this World that ran for four years in first-run syndication. Daryl podcasts some of her suspense/thriller work on her website. She is a member of Sisters in Crime, its internet group Guppies,Mystery Writers of AmericaRomance Writers of America and theInternational Thriller Writers Association.

Prior to writing, Daryl was an actress in Los Angeles. A fun tidbit for mystery buffs: she co-starred on the popular series, Murder, She Wrote and Matlock. Daryl graduated from Stanford University. She enjoys golfing, swimming, photography, gardening, gourmet cooking, and has been known to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

She has been happily married for over twenty-five years and has an adorable mutt named Max and a grown son who has flown the coop.

Visit her at both of her websites: http://www.darylwoodgerber.com/ and
http://www.averyaames.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Long Quiche Goodbye (Cheese Shop Mystery Series #1) 

Synopsis

***Winner of the 2010 Agatha Award for Best First Novel***

Welcome to the grand opening of Fromagerie Bessette. Or as it's more commonly known by the residents of small-town Providence, Ohio-the Cheese Shop. Proprietor Charlotte Bessette has prepared a delightful sampling of bold Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, delicious tortes of Stilton and Mascarpone, and a taste of Sauvignon Blanc-but someone else has decided to make a little crime of passion the piece de resistance. Right outside the shop Charlotte finds a body, the victim stabbed to death with one of her prized olive-wood handled knives.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lost and Fondue (Cheese Shop Mystery Series #2) 

Synopsis

When a body is found in a long-abandoned winery, cheese shop owner Charlotte Bessette trades in her fondue fork for a flashlight to clear a friend's niece of suspicion. But as Charlotte starts to turn up the truth, the killer starts turning up the heat.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

‘TIS A MYSTERY

By Avery Aames

I love a good mystery. I love the opening to the first page and instantly feeling that danger is afoot. I adore when the protagonist solves the crime and there is peace, once again, in the village.

When did this love start? At the age of eight, I wasn’t much of a reader. I skimmed over the words.  I would have preferred running around outside to reading a silly old book.  But then I got the measles and I was trapped at home for seven days straight, forbidden from working myself into a sweat, and my mother suggested I read a book from the Nancy Drew series—a series that she had saved since she was a girl. 

Read? Oh, please. But I was bored, so I followed her instructions.  And I’m so glad I did.

I read and read and read. Not one book, but the entire series. Granted, they were not a difficult read, but for a non-reader, even reading the first page was a struggle. But I opened the first book and devoured it in less than a day. I read two books the next day, and three the next. I was swept into a world of crime and resolution. I loved creeping into caves and old houses alongside Nancy. I adored the relationships she had with her friends and imagined they were mine, as well. I was impressed that Nancy solved each mystery using her clever mind.

After reading the entire set, I advised my mother that I wanted to become a writer. My mother believed that a woman could do anything to which she set her mind. She empowered me to try. I wrote a chapter and another and another. Soon The Case of the Missing Lantern was complete. I don’t have a clue where the “manuscript” ended up. My mother placed a short story about a giraffe that I had written into my baby book, but I can’t find a copy of The Case of the Missing Lantern. Did it stink? Did I toss out the book? Being my own worst critic, this is a strong possibility.

One thing I did learn: writing a mystery was much harder than I thought. I didn’t try my hand at another until I was an adult. But I’m so glad I did. I have returned to a world I love. I enjoy plotting and storytelling and I love becoming engulfed in a world of fiction, creating characters, creating mystery. I am so happy that my mother gave me the freedom to create, no matter what I did with that creation at the time. And more than anything, I’m glad my mother encouraged me to read. I can’t imagine my life without all the fabulous characters I’ve come to know over the years.

What did you mother teach you about life?

DSCN0378.JPG
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Avery - Thanks for a wonderful blog! By the way, I gave my mom a copy of your first book and she loved it! I'll be adding your new book to her Mother's Day gift package. 

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke. I hope she enjoys!  Happy Mothers day to all moms this weekend.  May you enjoy your family. May they treasure you.

~Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Speaking of Mother's Day, Avery, do you have any cheesy (I mean that in a good way) Mother's Day recipes you could share with us?

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

I'm actually blogging on Mystery Lovers Kitchen on Mother's Day and share a load of recipes. Many with cheese, others without.  If you don't know about MLK, it's a blog where a number of culinary authors blog -- authors who love to cook up crime.  :smileyhappy:

www.mysteryloverskitchen.com

Come stop in and leave a comment. You'll find a new recipe every day.

~Avery

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Avery, loved your blog! I learned all the usual stuff young ladies are supposed to know from my mother. It was my Dad who was my inspiration as he taught me to take care of animals and be their friends. I truly wanted to be a vet when I was growing up but vets were not in demand as a job at the time. I majored in Medical Technology in college and through this, I've learned a lot about medicine and how to take care of people around me. I never pursued my career but married early and am happily married to the same man for 42 years. Thanks for stopping by and making me reflect on my family.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
New User
EAHT
0 Kudos

LET ME NO KKKKKKK

Hey,do you like to read mysterys???? I LOVE TOOO i have read so many.If you email me(angel98.angel98@gmail,com) I will be happy to reccomend a book to you. and if you want can you PLEASE recommend me a book. Just email me <3

TTYL!!!!!<3

EAHT3
becke_davis
0 Kudos

AveryAames wrote:

I'm actually blogging on Mystery Lovers Kitchen on Mother's Day and share a load of recipes. Many with cheese, others without.  If you don't know about MLK, it's a blog where a number of culinary authors blog -- authors who love to cook up crime.  :smileyhappy:

www.mysteryloverskitchen.com

Come stop in and leave a comment. You'll find a new recipe every day.

~Avery

Thanks for the link, Avery - sounds like fun!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: LET ME NO KKKKKKK

EAHT wrote:

Hey,do you like to read mysterys???? I LOVE TOOO i have read so many.If you email me(angel98.angel98@gmail,com) I will be happy to reccomend a book to you. and if you want can you PLEASE recommend me a book. Just email me <3

TTYL!!!!!<3

We're happy to recommend mysteries to you EAHT! Check the "What are you reading now?" thread to begin with, and don't forget to stop in and introduce yourself at the Welcome thread.

You can exchange personal messages here by clicking on each other's names - no need to go off the board for emails.

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

Maxcat, lovely to see you.  It's important to reflect, isn't it? It's part of what makes us human.

~Avery

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Avery - I also discovered mysteries at age 8. I got a book from Weekly Reader (or Scholastic, or whatever it was called back then) called THE SECRET OF THE OLD POSTBOX by Dorothy Sterling. I was completely enthralled by it! (I lost my original copy but recently bought another on ebay.)

I discovered Nancy Drew not long after that. I read every Nancy Drew in my library but since I was the oldest of five kids, there wasn't a lot of money to buy books. Luckily, I had a lovely aunt who bought Nancy Drew books for me every time I visited her.

I blogged about my early love of mysteries here: 

http://familytreethyme.blogspot.com/2010/09/sleuths-and-silhouettes.html

SLEUTHS AND SILHOUETTES

I loved to write but mainly stuck to poetry and short stories. In high school my goal was to be an investigative reporter rather than an author. Later, I actively resist fiction writing because I was so afraid it would make me analyze books too much - I was afraid books would lose their magic if I tried to write them, and I REALLY didn't want that too happen.

Which explains why I didn't seriously attempt fiction until recently. It may have taken a little from my enjoyment in some cases, but it's just made me appreciate the work of most authors even more.

New User
EAHT
0 Kudos

Re: LET ME NO KKKKKKK

Thankyou and sorry I am new to the bloging and didnt realize you could email each other on here:smileyhappy:

EAHT3
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Profiles and Personal Messages

[ Edited ]

EAHT wrote:

Thankyou and sorry I am new to the bloging and didnt realize you could email each other on here:smileyhappy:

No problem! It can be confusing when you first try to navigate these boards.

If you click on your own name you can create a profile and share the books you're reading, your favorite songs, movies, etc., too. Which reminds me - I haven't updated my own profile lately!