Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author EMILY ARSENAULT!

Today's guest blogger is EMILY ARSENAULT! Some of you may remember meeting Emily when she visited with us about a year ago:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-Author-EMILY-ARSENAULT/m-p/1135302/hig...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author EMILY ARSENAULT!

About Emily

I haven’t had a terribly interesting life, so I won’t share too many details. But the highlights include:

•    When I was a preschooler and a kindergartner, I had a lazy eye and I was Connecticut’s “Miss Prevent Blindness,” appearing on pamphlets and television urging parents to get their kids’ eyes checked. I wore an eye patch and clutched a blonde doll wearing a similar patch. I imagine it was all rather maudlin, but at the time I wouldn’t have known that word.

•    I wrote my first novel when I was in fifth grade. It was over a hundred pages and took me the whole school year to write. (It was about five girls at a summer camp. I’d never been to a summer camp, but had always wanted to attend one.) When I was all finished, I turned back to the first page, eager to read it all from the beginning. I was horrified at how bad it was.

•    At age thirteen, I got to go to a real sleepaway camp. It was nothing like the book I had written.

•    I studied philosophy in college. So did my husband. We met in a Hegel class, which is awfully romantic.

•    I worked as an editorial assistant at Merriam-Webster from 1998-2002, and got to help write definitions for their dictionaries.

•    My husband and I served in the Peace Corps together, working in rural South Africa. I miss Losasaneng, miss many of the people we met there, and dream about it often.

•    I am now working on my third novel. It is tentatively titled Just Someone I Used to Know, named after and old song Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton used to sing together.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Q&A for Miss Me When I’m Gone

Author Jennifer McMahon recent interviewed Emily about Miss Me When I’m Gone:

JM: Miss Me When I’m Gone features excerpts from a fictional memoir Tammyland, that is described as a “honky-tonk” Eat, Pray, Love.   I’ve never been much of a country music fan, but the way you write about the music made me feel like I was missing something.  You inspired me to start watching YouTube videos of these amazing classic country singers.  I’m seriously going to add some of their music to my iPod.   Why did you choose to write about country music?

EA: Admittedly, I used to turn my nose up at country music when I was younger, but I got into classic country about ten years ago. Now I’m seriously never happier than when I’m listening to George Jones and Tammy Wynette singing “We’re Not the Jet Set.” For me, it’s not just about the music, but the personalities of classic country. Ever since I saw Coal Miner’s Daughter in my early twenties, I’ve been inspired by Loretta Lynn’s life. When I began to branch out and learn more about her female contemporaries, I found that they all had fascinating personal stories: Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton, Dottie West. It is easy to dismiss someone like Tammy Wynette, for example, as meek and old fashioned with her “Stand By Your Man” type songs, but I find the story of her life very compelling. For the book, I liked the idea of a modern liberal, intellectual-type character drawing inspiration from these admirable women and their music—despite some obvious surface differences in her life from theirs. So I started with that.

JM: You must have done an amazing amount of research to get all the Tammyland details in there.  What was that like?  Did you go touring around the south visiting all these places yourself?  And, what I really want to know, did you ride a rollercoaster in Dollywood?

EA: Well, you caught me—Dollywood is the one place featured in the book that I didn’t go to (although I watched people’s vacation videos of Dollywood—including the roller coasters—on Youtube). I took a “research trip” to Nashville and other places in Tennessee, as well as Tammy Wynette’s hometown of Red Bay, Alabama. I didn’t quite have the time or budget for Dollywood, plus I have an old friend (also a big Dolly fan) who I’ve long promised I’ll accompany to Dollywood someday. I didn’t want to go back on that promise by going there without her. In any case, most of my research was from listening to classic country over the years, reading all of my favorite musicians’ biographies, and watching interviews and old footage. Most of my information came from those sources. The research trip was just a fun tax-deductible bonus. And by the way, I hate roller coasters. I’m a wimp.

JM: Like your first book The Broken TeaglassMiss Me When I’m Gone features a book-within-a-book. What do you find intriguing about this narrative device?  And what was the process of writing it like – did you go back and forth or write all the fictional memoir bits at once?

EA: I find that having multiple narratives helps me stay motivated. When I get stuck in one narrative, I switch to the other. (This was the case for my second book also. It didn’t have a book-within-a-book, but the narrative alternated from past to present.) With The Broken Teaglass, I wrote the draft of the book-within-the-book before starting the outer book. With Miss Me When I’m Gone, I switched back and forth.

JM: We’ve both written mysteries set in New England.  What about the place inspires you?

EA: Except for the two years I lived in South Africa, I’ve never lived anyplace else besides New England. I feel very out of place anywhere else—in life as well as in writing.

JM: You’ve worked as a lexicographer, an English teacher, a children’s librarian, and a Peace Corps volunteer. How has your diverse background influenced your writing?

EA: That’s a good question. I don’t think I was necessarily any good at any of these jobs. In all of these capacities (except maybe English teacher, when I was too harried most days), I was usually daydreaming half the time I was supposed to be working, making up stories and dialogue in my head. Does that count as “influence”?

JM: I’d love to know about your writing process, particularly since you’re a new mom!  When I was pregnant, I had these fantasies of being able to write for hours while my little cooing baby napped or played contentedly by my feet – Ha!  So how are you managing to juggle writing with being a mom?

EA: I’m very lucky that my husband works at home several days a week—and that I live a three-minutes’ walk from two different coffee shops. So lately, my husband kicks me out for a few hours a week to go to a coffee shop and write. I’ve heard a lot of people say they became more disciplined about using their limited free time effectively once they became parents. I’m hoping that’ll happen to me. We’ll see. It’s too early to tell. My daughter is only two months old.

In general, I have a pretty sloppy process. I typically start with a scene or character that interests me, then slowly build a plot around that. I don’t plan ahead much. About 2/3 through most rough drafts, I usually change my mind about the ending and have to go back and do a significant revision. This is very frustrating, because I never think that will happen. Just once, I’d like to know my ending for certain and get all the way there without changing my mind. Hasn’t happened yet. Maybe when that parental discipline kicks in?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Miss Me When I'm Gone  

“Outstanding … Arsenault’s lyrical, moving prose serves to make this more than just a compelling whodunit.” – Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Miss Me When I’m Gone will be released July 31, 2012 in trade paperback and eBook byWilliam Morrow.

Author Gretchen Waters made a name for herself  with her bestseller Tammyland—a memoir about her divorce and her admiration for country music icons Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, and Dolly Parton—which was praised as a “honky-tonk Eat, Pray, Love.” But her writing career is cut abruptly short when she dies from a fall down a set of stone library steps. It is a tragic accident and no one suspects foul play, certainly not Gretchen’s best friend from college, Jamie, who’s been named the late author’s literary executor.

But there’s an unfinished manuscript Waters left behind that is much darker than her first; a book ostensibly about male country musicians yet centered on a murder in Gretchen’s family that haunted her childhood. In its pages, Gretchen seems to be speaking to Jamie from beyond the grave—suggesting her death was no accident…and that Jamie must piece together the story someone would kill to keep untold.

“I really loved this book! And I have Emily Arsenault to thank for my new appreciation of classic country music.”
– Jennifer McMahon, author of Promise Not to Tell and Don’t Breathe a Word

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Emily Arsenault

MISS ME WHEN I’M GONE started about ten years ago, when my husband bought me a CD of Tammy Wynette’s Greatest hits. (At the time, I was a “dabbler” in classic country music: I listened to the occasional Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, Willie Nelson.)  I remember listening to that CD over and over while I made a chocolate torte, trying to decide what I thought of Tammy. Some of her lyrics (e.g. in her “DIVORCE,” for example) were pretty maudlin. Some (such as those in “Good Lovin’ (Makes it Right)” struck me as outrageous. But I had to admit “Your Good Girl’s Gonna Go Bad” was catchy.

Eventually, I developed a curiosity about Tammy along with her musical contemporaries—in particular, Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton. All three of these women had such interesting personal stories. And while I found Tammy’s music the least accessible at first, the more I read about her life, the more she fascinated me, and the more I felt I could appreciate her voice. All three women had to overcome a great deal of adversity—and break a number of gender barriers—to achieve their success. Years later, after I’d published my first book, I had the idea to write a mystery that celebrated these women and their work. So that’s where the  Tammyland element of the book came from.

In its first draft, Tammyland was combined with a very different story. Gretchen’s personal life and second manuscript were entirely different from how they stand now. And the narrator, Jamie, was the mother of a one-and-a-half year old daughter. I was about three quarters of the way finished with it, but something kept me from getting to the end. One day I read through it and felt something is really wrong here. I won’t go into great detail about what was wrong, but the bottom line is that Gretchen’s story somehow didn’t fit with Tammyland.

Four months from my deadline, I started over, keeping only a few of the Tammyland pieces. I also decided to make Jamie pregnant—partly because I thought it would be interesting to have her at this turning point in her life, but partly because I was newly pregnant myself and I liked to occasionally use the manuscript as a place to bitch about how crappy I felt. The following couple of months are a blur now—I remember a lot of writing, a lot of nausea, and a lot of snapping at my husband. I handed in the manuscript in November and then was given my revisions by editor in January. By then I’d “caught up” with Jamie’s “seven months pregnant.” I did some pretty significant revision—along with updating some of the later pregnancy bits. For example, there’s a scene where Jamie looks down and realizes that her belly is covered in cracker crumbs. I never would have thought of this if I hadn’t been pregnant myself. While pregnant, I discovered what a messy eater I am—crumbs that normally would’ve fallen onto the floor and into my lap unnoticed were now clearly visible to everyone. And I, like Jamie, played Patsy Cline’s music to my belly.

My publisher’s copy edits arrived on our doorstep the day my daughter was born. I attended to them (usually one-armed) in a haze of night feedings and diaper changes. Later, when I was reviewing the galleys, I added one sentence to the final pages of the book—one where Jamie expresses a sentiment about her first days with her baby son. Without that line, I felt Jamie appeared too cold regarding her new role as a mother. And it gave me a chance to bring together the end of the book with my own story.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just got started  on Miss When When I'm Gone last night and am to the point that she is meeting with Gretchen's bf.  Just wanted to stop by and say hi.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Emily:

I've read:

In Search of the Rose Notes  

Enjoyed it very much. I will have to check out your other books!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

My daughter is a huge Jennifer McMahon fan. When I showed her Jennifer's recommendation and interview, she was hooked! I think she's going to start with MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE. I've read THE ROSE NOTES but I still need to check out the third book.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Lovely blog...I will have to get the book!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
Emily-Arsenault
0 Kudos

Thanks for dropping by, Ryan. I hope you enjoy the book!
Author
Emily-Arsenault
0 Kudos

Becke, thanks for having me here!

I love Jennifer McMahon's books too . . .

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Emily-Arsenault wrote:

Becke, thanks for having me here!

I love Jennifer McMahon's books too . . .

Hi Emily! My daughter is a big reader but we don't always share the same tastes. I thought she'd like your books, but I had to catch my daughter's attention first! I think she's going to read the new book first - I'm building up her to-be-read pile!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Emily - What inspired this book? I'm intrigued by the homage to country music.

Author
Emily-Arsenault
0 Kudos

I've been a fan of classic country for about a decade. And I've long been interested in the lives of Loretta, Dolly, Tammy, and their contemporaries. It's hard to say what inspired this book. I've always wanted to write about these women, and decided it would be fun to weave that interest in with a mystery. And I wanted to have a character who had a very different background from these women, but still drew inspiration from their lives and music.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Are you already working on your next book, Emily? (I guess I should ask if it's completed, which is probably more to the point!) I'm curious to see what topic you'll focus on the next time out. Can you give us any hints, or is it too soon to say?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Wow, that was a great interview of Emily done by Jennifer McMahon. I'm intrigued by Emily's use of women who have been big stars in classic country music. I was never a fan of the "twangy" country music, but have to say I've moved more towards country music in the past few years. Now my family members all think I'm kind of crazy when I hum or sing country tunes! 

I'd be interested in knowing what Emily thinks of some of the current female country singers and how she thinks they measure up against the pioneers. Anyway, I'm adding Miss Me When I'm Gone to my TBR pile.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just wanted everyone to know that I have a review and giveaway of Miss Me When I'm Gone posted on my blog.  I can say the book wasn't for me, mainly linear and narrative issues, but I think most mystery fans will enjoy it.

Here is a link if anyone want's to try and win it:  http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2012/08/miss-me-when-im-gone-by-emily-arsenault.html

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for visiting with us, Emily!

thank thanks flower flowers rose