Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Mysterylover1138
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J.B. LYNN!

JB

I hope you are having a fantastic night tonight.

Just a couple of questions...

I always ask the authors that visit this, because I am always curious to what their answer will be, but what, if any, is the one drink that must be by you when you are writing?

What is the usual goal you set for yourself for number of pages written per day?

Where do your ideas come from?

Leigh
Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Love the blog...strange characters with flaws...Jack Bauer...24

Still can't figure out how he could do all he did in 24 hours.

And no one is as "flawed" as Leroy Jethro Gibbs

Best of luck for future mysteries

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Author
JB_Lynn_author
0 Kudos

Fun questions, Leigh. Thanks!

During the day I drink coffee out of what I call my "inspirational" mugs. One from a friend that says "Creative Juices" (isn't that great?!) another my DH had made for me and has the cover of my book THE FIRST VICTIM and the third says "Completing 13.1 rocks" which I got after I completed my first half marathon (a reminder that even things I once thought "impossible" are doable...with perseverance and hard work....and a lot of pain relievers, lol).

My goal is to write 15,000 - 20,000 words per week (depending on what's going on). There are weeks when I delete 10,000 of those I've written. And there are weeks when I write 40,000 words, but my home, hubby, and health suffer during those weeks.

I WISH I knew where my ideas come from...it's a mysterious process. Sometimes I'll get an idea from something I see on the street or a news report, or a doggie bag (yes, I've actually found inspiration in a doggie bag, lol) but most of the time they just pop into my head. Usually at inopportune times like when I'm in the shower, or driving, or at a cocktail party. I think, that for me, what's important is paying attention to them. For example, I had the thought "Doomsday is coming" for months before I figured out what it meant and how it fit into the first Hitwoman book.
Author
JB_Lynn_author
0 Kudos

J -- Bauer is a great example of a flawed character!

Thank you!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JB_Lynn_author wrote:
Fun questions, Leigh. Thanks!

During the day I drink coffee out of what I call my "inspirational" mugs. One from a friend that says "Creative Juices" (isn't that great?!) another my DH had made for me and has the cover of my book THE FIRST VICTIM and the third says "Completing 13.1 rocks" which I got after I completed my first half marathon (a reminder that even things I once thought "impossible" are doable...with perseverance and hard work....and a lot of pain relievers, lol).

My goal is to write 15,000 - 20,000 words per week (depending on what's going on). There are weeks when I delete 10,000 of those I've written. And there are weeks when I write 40,000 words, but my home, hubby, and health suffer during those weeks.

I WISH I knew where my ideas come from...it's a mysterious process. Sometimes I'll get an idea from something I see on the street or a news report, or a doggie bag (yes, I've actually found inspiration in a doggie bag, lol) but most of the time they just pop into my head. Usually at inopportune times like when I'm in the shower, or driving, or at a cocktail party. I think, that for me, what's important is paying attention to them. For example, I had the thought "Doomsday is coming" for months before I figured out what it meant and how it fit into the first Hitwoman book.

WOW! 40,000 a WEEK? NaNoWriMo's mere 50,000 word a month goal must be easy as pie for you! I'm seriously impressed!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for hanging out with us this week! I hope you'll come back when your next book comes out!