Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Hubie
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Your wrote, "I was in a local Barnes and Noble store yesterday afternoon (Wed. April 27) and hadn't found any of The Pot Thief books on the shelves." Alas, my books are in some B&N stores but not in all. Maybe you can fix that Becke. :-)

Seriously, I think it is a strength of B&N that they allow some flexibility for individual stores, unlike most chains. So you can find my books in B&N locations in the Southwest and scattered here and there, but there are many locations where you have to special order them.

I'm glad you ordered The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier. I hope it doesn't knock you off your vegan diet!  Let me know what you think of it.

Mike

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Mike,

Just a quick note to let you know I got the copy of The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier, and I've started reading it. I have got to Chapter 9, which isn't really very far into the story, but it's far enough for me to figure out that Hubie is going to have a problem with his commission from Mr. Molinaro.

I laughed at the part where Hubie is trying to explain to Susannah about the Chef, Herr Kuchen, and when he says the words, "Osterreichische Kuche"(sorry no umlauts on my keyboard!), she thinks he's saying the guy's name, which to her sounds like "this Ostrich guy".  The misunderstanding and Hubie's having to clear it up reminded me a bit of Wodehouse's Bertie Wooster and his problems with understanding Jeeves(which is basically a running gag through those books).

Hubie also reminds me a bit of the Lovejoy character, although of course, not British. I'm wondering if you read any of the Jonathan Gash books, or watched the series with Ian McShane as Lovejoy, and if so, did you get the glimmer of an idea to do a sort of Southwestern Lovejoy????

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Mike,

Just a quick note to let you know I got the copy of The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier, and I've started reading it. I have got to Chapter 9, which isn't really very far into the story, but it's far enough for me to figure out that Hubie is going to have a problem with his commission from Mr. Molinaro.

I laughed at the part where Hubie is trying to explain to Susannah about the Chef, Herr Kuchen, and when he says the words, "Osterreichische Kuche"(sorry no umlauts on my keyboard!), she thinks he's saying the guy's name, which to her sounds like "this Ostrich guy".  The misunderstanding and Hubie's having to clear it up reminded me a bit of Wodehouse's Bertie Wooster and his problems with understanding Jeeves(which is basically a running gag through those books).

Hubie also reminds me a bit of the Lovejoy character, although of course, not British. I'm wondering if you read any of the Jonathan Gash books, or watched the series with Ian McShane as Lovejoy, and if so, did you get the glimmer of an idea to do a sort of Southwestern Lovejoy????

I LOVE Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy books - I've read them all!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's an excerpt from Mike's latest newsletter:

Greetings,

You are receiving this email because you purchased a POT THIEF book, attended a POT THIEF signing or otherwise indicated an interest in the POT THIEF MURDER MYSTERY SERIES.

If you do not fall into one of these categories, then it just shows that the author of the POT THIEF MURDER MYSTERY SERIES is as incompetent as his protagonist when it comes to the Internet. He apologizes and invites you to notify him of the mistake so that he can attempt to remove you from his list, although a simpler solution would be for you just to hit the delete button.

If you are still reading, then you may be interested to know that the 5th POT THIEF BOOK, The Pot Thief Who Studied D. H. Lawrence, is now available. 

The Pot Thief Who Studied D. H. Lawrence  

Saturday, June 30, 12 - 4 pm, Official Debut: Gruet Winery, Albuquerque, NM

Free food and champagne tasting

The end. Go read a good book.