Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

 


Hubie wrote:

Thanks, Becke. I know you have a family connection to a bookstore in Albuquerque where I have done two signings. I won't mention the name since it is not a Barnes & Nobles. :-)

 

I also know my wife is a big fan of your writings on gardening.  Are gardening writings to be read by season?

 

Anyway, my books do not need to be read in any order. I do sometimes refer to previous books, but the references are never part of the plot and can be safely ignored.

 

I also know many readers like to read series in sequence no matter what. So the order is:

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Einstein

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied D. H. Lawence (forthcoming)

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Lew Wallace (A gleam in the author's eyes)

 

Thanks again for moderating the B&N mystery book club. It'[s an honor to be a member.

 

Mike

 

 

 

 


Thanks, Mike! As to garden writing, I think most people read them in winter or when the weather is nasty. When the weather is nice, we're out in the garden! (Or we'd like to be!)

 

Author
Hubie
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

My doctor has me eating tofu tacos. It is a sad state. You definitely do not want that recipe. But here is a recipe that is both healthy and good. 

 

Fold some corn tortillas and put them on a cookie sheet in the over at 350. Leave the door open and watch them carefully, poking them with a chopstick or other blunt instrument until they begin to stiffen.  This should happen in about thirty seconds to a minute. Take them out and set them aside.

 

Buy the wafer thin little cutlets of sirloin they sell in the meat section of your grovery store. Trim off the fat and chop into half inche squares. Saute in a frying pan with a little oil, salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.  

 

Remove the beef and turn the heat to high. Throw in chopped white onions and jalapenos (deseeded and chopped) and cook until caramalized. Put the meat, jalapenos, and onions in the tacos and top with Green Mountain or any other good fresh salsa.

 

Delicious and healthy, except for the beer that is required to make them really good.

 

Mike

Author
Hubie
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Maxcat,

 

You are not only a distinguished wordsmith, you are also a distinguished reader as exemplified by your decision to buy a Pot Thief book. So you buy one from B&N, let me know, and I'll send you a different one in the series. In fact, I'll extend this offer until the end of the week for anyone who reads this blog. I'll take your word on buying it from B&N. But remember, Becke has access to the records!

 

Mike

Author
Hubie
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Thanks, Monti.  Your writing is the essence of character driven, so I appreciate your comment.

 

Mike

Author
Hubie
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

For those who don't know Shalanna (not her real name, but my jalapeno lips are sealed), I predict you will be reading her mystery novels in the near future. She is an undiscovered talent. Well, not totally undiscovered - she has won some prizes, but she will soon be on the big stage.

 

Mike

Author
Hubie
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

WS Gager's 3rd Mitch Malone novel will be out soon. I offered a blurb, but I don't know if it will make the cover. I understand Oprah wants to have the prime cover space.

 

Mitch is an interesting example of "character driven." He spends a lot of his time telling us what kind of character he is, but the reader always sees right through him. He is not the man he thinks he is, but he is the man we love.

 

Mike

Author
Hubie
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Hi Fricka,

 

I love your quote from Sister Carol Anne O' Marie. I hope my book won't disappoint your "noble mind."

 

I, too, love the covers. I had no imput on the first one, but was ecstatic when I saw it even though the pot on the cover is not the sort of pot discussed in the book. It is a Navajo pot created on greenware from Japan. Nevertheless, the cover and the Southwestern colors are terrific. The publisher graciously allowed me to have some input on the susequent covers. They do that when your books sell well :-).

 

I like that the covers look like a series, and I really like the shade of blue on the latest one, The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier.

 

Mike 

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
Posts: 236
Registered: ‎02-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Welcome Mike

 

From Math to Mystery.....connection somewhere or is that not a logical question???  Why the switch?

 

Your books appear to be rather interesting.  I look forward to trying them out. 

 

Congrats on your awards..

 

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

 


Hubie wrote:

For those who don't know Shalanna (not her real name, but my jalapeno lips are sealed), I predict you will be reading her mystery novels in the near future. She is an undiscovered talent. Well, not totally undiscovered - she has won some prizes, but she will soon be on the big stage.

 

Mike

Well, heck, Shalanna - don't be shy! Tell us about your books!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

 


Hubie wrote:

WS Gager's 3rd Mitch Malone novel will be out soon. I offered a blurb, but I don't know if it will make the cover. I understand Oprah wants to have the prime cover space.

 

Mitch is an interesting example of "character driven." He spends a lot of his time telling us what kind of character he is, but the reader always sees right through him. He is not the man he thinks he is, but he is the man we love.

 

Mike


W.S. Gager is a good friend of ours here!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

 


Hubie wrote:

My doctor has me eating tofu tacos. It is a sad state. You definitely do not want that recipe. But here is a recipe that is both healthy and good. 

 

Fold some corn tortillas and put them on a cookie sheet in the over at 350. Leave the door open and watch them carefully, poking them with a chopstick or other blunt instrument until they begin to stiffen.  This should happen in about thirty seconds to a minute. Take them out and set them aside.

 

Buy the wafer thin little cutlets of sirloin they sell in the meat section of your grovery store. Trim off the fat and chop into half inche squares. Saute in a frying pan with a little oil, salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.  

 

Remove the beef and turn the heat to high. Throw in chopped white onions and jalapenos (deseeded and chopped) and cook until caramalized. Put the meat, jalapenos, and onions in the tacos and top with Green Mountain or any other good fresh salsa.

 

Delicious and healthy, except for the beer that is required to make them really good.

 

Mike


Tofu tastes okay but it sounds gross. These tacos, on the other hand, sound delicious - thanks for the recipe!

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Author
Hubie
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎03-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Hi leisure reader,

 

Your title is my goal in life. I thought when I started writing, I would read more, but of course I was wrong.

 

A connection between math and mystery? Absolutely. One of the  biggest mysteries of the universe is inifinity. For example, the counting numbers (1,2,3,4, etc.) and the even numbers (2,4,6,8, etc.) are both infinite, so there are the same number of both. But common sense would tell us there are twice as many counting numbers as even numbers because the counting numbers contain both the evens and the odds.

 

Are your eyes glazing over? No? then you must be a mathematician in spirit.

 

Mike, still counting and trying to figure it out.

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

 


Hubie wrote:

Hi leisure reader,

 

Your title is my goal in life. I thought when I started writing, I would read more, but of course I was wrong.

 

A connection between math and mystery? Absolutely. One of the  biggest mysteries of the universe is inifinity. For example, the counting numbers (1,2,3,4, etc.) and the even numbers (2,4,6,8, etc.) are both infinite, so there are the same number of both. But common sense would tell us there are twice as many counting numbers as even numbers because the counting numbers contain both the evens and the odds.

 

Are your eyes glazing over? No? then you must be a mathematician in spirit.

 

Mike, still counting and trying to figure it out.

 


And then we could always start talking about the Fibonacci numbers...

 

New User
Monti7
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Thanks for asking. I'm a writer as well as a reader. My Passenger to Paradise book series features exotic destinations. I'm working on the fifth book now, Jungle Jeopardy, set in Central America in the midst of Maya ruins. The last book, Night Watch, was set in Trinidad. It's available as a Nook Book. I love for settings to play a big role in my books as well as the characters. My jungle book is using the characters from Secrets by the Sea.

 

Mary Montague Sikes

Monti
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

 

 

Night Watch 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mary - Don't take this wrong, but your name makes me think of characters in Agatha Christie books. Very cool!!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
Posts: 1,925
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

 

Welcome Michael:
Your books look very interesting to me. I love the titles! I will definitely have to check them out!
Thanks for visiting with us!

Hubie wrote:

Thanks, Becke. I know you have a family connection to a bookstore in Albuquerque where I have done two signings. I won't mention the name since it is not a Barnes & Nobles. :-)

 

I also know my wife is a big fan of your writings on gardening.  Are gardening writings to be read by season?

 

Anyway, my books do not need to be read in any order. I do sometimes refer to previous books, but the references are never part of the plot and can be safely ignored.

 

I also know many readers like to read series in sequence no matter what. So the order is:

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Ptolemy

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Einstein

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied D. H. Lawence (forthcoming)

 

The Pot Thief Who Studied Lew Wallace (A gleam in the author's eyes)

 

Thanks again for moderating the B&N mystery book club. It'[s an honor to be a member.

 

Mike

 

 

 

 


 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
New User
Shalanna
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

From your keyboard to God's display screen!!

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

 


Hubie wrote:

Hi Fricka,

 

I love your quote from Sister Carol Anne O' Marie. I hope my book won't disappoint your "noble mind."

 

I, too, love the covers. I had no imput on the first one, but was ecstatic when I saw it even though the pot on the cover is not the sort of pot discussed in the book. It is a Navajo pot created on greenware from Japan. Nevertheless, the cover and the Southwestern colors are terrific. The publisher graciously allowed me to have some input on the susequent covers. They do that when your books sell well :-).

 

I like that the covers look like a series, and I really like the shade of blue on the latest one, The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier.

 

Mike 


Strangely enough, I just ordered The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier. I was in a local Barnes and Noble store yesterday afternoon(Wed. April 27) and hadn't found any of The Pot Thief books on the shelves, even though I checked the Mystery section, the Literary Fiction section, and the "New Fiction Release" section. I was feeling very "bah, humbug"-ish when a manager approached me and asked if she could help me. I asked her if she had any of the Pot Thief books in the store, but there didn't seem to be any. Then I had her do an author check. No books in the store, but she did say she could order one of the books to be delivered to the store, and they would notify me when it comes in. I chose The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier (a) because it's the most recently published, and (b) I think Escoffier was a famous chef, and since I'm now on a vegan diet, I seem to be drawn to books which feature the kinds of food I can't eat. Now I'm hoping that I did not make a big blunder and mistake a famous Mathematician for a Chef! I'm sure I will enjoy reading the book anyway, even if that is the case.

 

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
New User
Monti7
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author J. MICHAEL ORENDUFF

Thanks! Now if I can figure out how to take advantage of that somehow!

 

Monti (the nickname my college roommate gave me!)

Monti