Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author JEAN HARRINGTON!

[ Edited ]

Today's guest blog is by author JEAN HARRINGTON!

Jean's website is here: http://www.jeanharrington.com/

She's on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/JeanHarringtonNaples

For 17 years, Jean Harrington taught writing at Becker College in Worcester, Massachusetts.  Then she and husband Big John moved to Florida, and she's been writing ever since.  The first in her Murders by Design Mysteries, Designed for Death, was published in January in e-book and audio format.  At year’s end it will also be released in a print edition. 

The second in the series, The Monet Murders, is due for release on June 11th, in e-book and audio format.  To her delight, Jean has recently been informed that the third book, Killer Kitchens, has been accepted for publication in spring 2013.

Currently working on the fourth Murders by Design Mystery, Jean is up to her knees in dead bodies and loving every minute of it.     

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author JEAN HARRINGTON!

Here's a longer bio for Jean:

About Jean

Writing has me hooked though the realization was a long time coming. As a child I wanted to be a foreign correspondent when I grew up. I must have been a romantic even then, but reality set in and instead I went to the exotic University of Rhode Island for a degree in English literature and stayed on as a teaching assistant while I earned my master’s degree.

In the meantime, I had married John (he loves it when I give my heroes his name), and we have two grown children, Mary Lee and Chris, and three granddaughters, Amy, Laura and Carolyn.

Following URI and a stint writing PR and advertising copy, I taught writing and lit for sixteen years at Becker College in Worcester, Massachusetts. I enjoyed this period of my life tremendously, but when I think back, I realize that always simmering on the back burner of my brain was the old adage, “Those who can do; those who can’t teach.”

Not necessarily true, but after I raised my children, left Becker and moved to Florida with Big John, the gig was up. I began to write, and write, and write, and, well, you get the picture . . . .

My debut novel tells the tale of the captivating, defiant Grace O’Malley, THE BAREFOOT QUEEN, who risks everything she loves for a vow she holds dearer than life itself.

To meet Grace O’Malley, please press Book Excerpts.

Jean Harrington

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Monet Murders Designed for Death   

Another exciting Murders by Design mystery from Jean Harrington.

Interior decorator Deva Dunne never dreamed she'd see a Monet hanging on someone's dining room wall. Then she snags a client with two Monet seascapes. Her thrill lasts until she finds one of the paintings missing, cut from its frame, and the cook shot dead. 

Rough-around-the edges, but gorgeous all-around Lieutenant Victor Rossi insists Deva leave the sleuthing to the police. But what could it hurt to come up with a list of suspects? Like the owner of the Monets, his trophy wife, and their frequent guests. Even the cook's husband is suspect. Then Deva finds another victim, clutching a very strange set of clues. 

Desperate to save her business amid all the negative publicity, Deva helps Rossi investigate. And when he needs advice decorating his bedroom, she just might have found a client for life. Unless the killer gets to her first. 

Read an excerpt >> 

Designed for Death 
(A Murders By Design Mystery)

Designed for Death  

Deva Dunne has an eye for detail, a nose for trouble. 
Read an excerpt>>

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Jean Harrington

NEWS FLASH:  Despite rumors that Deva Dunne has been sighted as far north as Iceland and as far south as Brazil, the truth is she’s alive and well and living in Naples, Florida.

She’s shed ten pounds, bought some new clothes and launched her own interior design firm, Deva Dunne Interiors.  But those of you who caught up with her in the first Murders by Design Mystery, Designed for Death, know all about that.  So you may be happy to learn in the second book, The Monet Murders, she’s recovering from her husband Jack’s untimely death, and enjoying the climate and the beach (but careful to slather on sun screen so the freckles won’t take over her face).  She’s also enjoying the warm regard of Lieutenant Victor Rossi of the Naples P.D.

Rossi is a sexy complication in Deva’s life in this second book though he believes the opposite--that Deva’s complicating his life.  Let’s just assume they’re mutually attracted but a little wary of where their relationship is heading.  Also Rossi is more than a little wary of Deva’s fascination with his homicide cases.

In The Monet Murders, for example, Deva finally snags a high-end project in a Naples mansion and wouldn’t you know?  Someone steals the client’s Monet and kills his cook. 

Unfortunately Deva is the one who discovers the double crimes.  Implicated but innocent, she is determined to clear her name by helping Rossi solve the case.  Whether he wants her to or not.  And for sure, he doesn’t want her to.  She’s placing herself in harm’s way, interfering with his investigation, and seeing culprits behind every fancy drapery.  But by tale’s end, her amateur sleuthing helps crack the case and bring the criminal--a serial killer, BTW—to justice. 

The truth is nobody gets away with murder when Deva Dunne’s around, and that’s the way she . . . and Rossi . . . like it, though he’d probably take The Fifth before admitting to any such thing.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

The Monet Murders sounds pretty good, I will have to check it out.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Jean, I've read the Monet Murders and it was fantastic. But I will have to get the first mystery, Murder by Design. Thanks for being here.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan, yeah, check out The Monet Murders, it's a sassy romp.  Thanks for posting.  Cheers and best, Jean

Jean Harrington
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Hi Distinguished Wordsmith, Glad you liked The Monet Murders, and yes, I do hope you'll read the first book, Designed for Death too.  Though the books are part of the Murders by Design series, they're actually stand-alones, so no special order is necessary.  Although that said, as the series progresses, Deva gets over Jack's death a little more each day, her client list becomes more up-scale, and her love life heats up--but despite all that some things never change.  The devil is still in the details.  What fun! 

Jean Harrington
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Jean:

Your DESIGN FOR DEATH series looks very interesting. I will have to check it out! Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Eadie, If you want to check out the Murders by Design Series this is a good time.  Just this morning, my publisher contacted me to say the first book in the series, Designed for Death, is being offered for  a mere 99 cents for the month of June ONLY.  So it's a great chance to meet Deva Dunne and follow her sleuth exploits in Florida.  Hope you will!  And for a free exerpt--actually the first chapter--I invite you to visit my website: www.jeanharrington.com. The series is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Carina Press for download onto your Kindle, Nook or iPad.  Have to love this electronic age!  A library at our fingertips.   

Jean Harrington
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

Eadie, If you want to check out the Murders by Design Series this is a good time.  Just this morning, my publisher contacted me to say the first book in the series, Designed for Death, is being offered for  a mere 99 cents for the month of June ONLY.  So it's a great chance to meet Deva Dunne and follow her sleuth exploits in Florida.  Hope you will!  And for a free exerpt--actually the first chapter--I invite you to visit my website: www.jeanharrington.com. The series is available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Carina Press for download onto your Kindle, Nook or iPad.  Have to love this electronic age!  A library at our fingertips.   

Thanks! I'll order it today!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Thought visitors to the blog might like to know, I'll also be blogging on the International Thriller Writers web site http://www.thebigthrill.org/thriller-roundtable from June 18 -24.  Question I'll be tackling is "Do thrillers always need to play on a large canvas, or can an intimate story thrill?" How do you feel about this?  Stop by and leave an opinion.  Would love to hear from you. 

Jean Harrington
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Tomorrow, June 11 is the big day, so I just had to share!  The Monet Murders will be released tomorrow in e-book and audio format.  So pleased about this happening. 

Jean Harrington
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

Tomorrow, June 11 is the big day, so I just had to share!  The Monet Murders will be released tomorrow in e-book and audio format.  So pleased about this happening. 

Congratulations, Jean! That's exciting news!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Monet Murders by Jean Harrington

ePrice: $4.99
Our Price: $4.49

More Info

The Monet Murders 
by Jean Harrington 

Interior decorator Deva Dunne never dreamed she'd see a Monet hanging on someone's dining room wall. Then she snags a client with two Monet seascapes. Her thrill lasts until she finds one of the paintings missing, cut from its frame, and the cook shot dead.

"Harrington's second installment in the Murders by Design series is a cleverly woven account that keeps the reader in suspense until a skillfully embedded clue reveals the killer. Suspects abound among the lively cast and interesting relationships propel the action in this page-turner."
—RT 

The Monet Murders  

Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

More good news and just in time for Father's Day.  The Monet Murders is now available as an Audio Book.  What a thrill!  I downloaded it onto my Kindle this morning.  The narration if by Gayle Hendrix and she does such a good job--she doesn't just read, she acts. It's such fun to listen to.  Becke, thought you'd enjoy hearing me toot the horn.  Thanks for all.  Have a great weekend.  Jean

Jean Harrington
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

More good news and just in time for Father's Day.  The Monet Murders is now available as an Audio Book.  What a thrill!  I downloaded it onto my Kindle this morning.  The narration if by Gayle Hendrix and she does such a good job--she doesn't just read, she acts. It's such fun to listen to.  Becke, thought you'd enjoy hearing me toot the horn.  Thanks for all.  Have a great weekend.  Jean

Jean - I imagine it felt kind of weird listening to someone read ("perform" might be a better word) your book. Very cool!

Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Hi Becke, Your comment that hearing my book "read" must have been a weird experiece is so insightful.  Gayle Hendrix does a great job, changing her voice for different characters, expressing the mood of a scene, etc., but in places I do hear the voice of the heroine differently in my head.  I guess that's only natural.  Everyone interprets experience in an individual way.  Overall, the audio book is great and a blast  to listen to! 

If anybody's in the Naples, Florida area on Friday, June 22, you might want to tune in to the Dave Elliott show on 98.9 FM at 4 in the afternoon.  I'm going to be on at 4:10 talking about The Monet Murders and e publishing in general. Best of all, the show is being broadcast from Alice Sweetwater's, an old time bar and grill here in town.  Should be fun.  Friday at happy hour!  OMG..

Jean Harrington
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

Hi Becke, Your comment that hearing my book "read" must have been a weird experiece is so insightful.  Gayle Hendrix does a great job, changing her voice for different characters, expressing the mood of a scene, etc., but in places I do hear the voice of the heroine differently in my head.  I guess that's only natural.  Everyone interprets experience in an individual way.  Overall, the audio book is great and a blast  to listen to! 

If anybody's in the Naples, Florida area on Friday, June 22, you might want to tune in to the Dave Elliott show on 98.9 FM at 4 in the afternoon.  I'm going to be on at 4:10 talking about The Monet Murders and e publishing in general. Best of all, the show is being broadcast from Alice Sweetwater's, an old time bar and grill here in town.  Should be fun.  Friday at happy hour!  OMG..

If only I was in Florida...sounds like FUN!