Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author JEAN HARRINGTON!

Well, I surely don't know how well Stephen King sleeps of night. But he does have Tabatha. so I guess together they ward off demons.  Fun to speculate on--with all due respect.  Stephen King, so I've heard, has a home here in Naples and has been seen around town from time to time.  I would love to be stuck on an elevator with him some day.  Difficult to achieve.  I'm seldom in elevators. There few high rise buildings in Naples.  But if I were, what would I say . . . .?  Hmm. 

Jean Harrington
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JeanHarrington wrote:

Well, I surely don't know how well Stephen King sleeps of night. But he does have Tabatha. so I guess together they ward off demons.  Fun to speculate on--with all due respect.  Stephen King, so I've heard, has a home here in Naples and has been seen around town from time to time.  I would love to be stuck on an elevator with him some day.  Difficult to achieve.  I'm seldom in elevators. There few high rise buildings in Naples.  But if I were, what would I say . . . .?  Hmm. 

My daughter lives in Charlottesville, VA and Stephen King held the door for her at a local Walmart. She didn't realize it was him until she saw him again in the store from a distance. Apparently, he is a visitor there a lot. Maybe he was visiting Sissy Spacek as she lives in Charlottesville. She did star in his movie Carrie. My daughter saw her in a local pet store. Shopping in Charlottesville sure is interesting. She told me about other famous people who lives there but I don't remember who else. Just found this info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Charlottesville,_Virginia In 2005 it was rated the best city to live in!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

JeanHarrington wrote:

As a preface to one of his books - Night Shift maybe? - he said it helps him sleep better by putting his nightmares on paper. He certainly does a good job of it! 

Speaking of elevators, I was in one with Lee Child once - just the two of us. I'm not shy, but my hands were clammy and my voice froze up when he spoke to me. He's very nice, I was just star struck!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

JeanHarrington wrote:

My daughter lives in Charlottesville, VA and Stephen King held the door for her at a local Walmart. She didn't realize it was him until she saw him again in the store from a distance. Apparently, he is a visitor there a lot. Maybe he is visiting Sissy Spacek as she lives in Charlottesville and my daughter saw her in a local pet store. Shopping in Charlottesville sure is interesting. She told me about other famous people who lives there but I don't remember who else. Just found this info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Charlottesville,_Virginia In 2005 it was rated the best city to live in!

Oh my gosh, this is so cool!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jean - I love to hear authors' call stories. Would you tell us about when you learned you'd sold your first book?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Jean - Will you be attending any writers conferences or library events where our participants might meet you?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I feel like Jean's visit is being plagued by gnomes - either that or I'm losing it. She just pointed out MORE duplications in the comment boxes (I fixed one yesterday).

Do me a favor - if it happened here, it could be happening in other posts. Would you all let me know if you spot any more repetitive comments within a comment box? 

I've been having some trouble posting, and others have mentioned problems, too. When I paste text there is sometimes a delay - when I don't see it show up, I'll repaste it. And then it shows up twice. Argh!! Sorry about this!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Jean, wow your daughter held the door for Stephen King at a Walmart.

Well Jean it looks like B&N is welcoming you in big time, you get to meet our famous gnomes, but I like to call them Gremlins

Your newest book looks really good. 

Thanks for visiting and I hope the rest of your visit is non-eventful

It looks like my to be read pile is getting bigger :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Well Jean it looks like B&N is welcoming you in big time, you get to meet our famous gnomes, but I like to call them Gremlins

Deb:

Sorry to confuse you but Stephen King held the door for my daughter at Walmart!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
dhaupt
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Deb:

Sorry to confuse you but Stephen King held the door for my daughter at Walmart!

OMG, Okay, I have to stop multitasking. Wow Eadie, that's incredible.

Oops :smileyhappy:

Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Ha!  My guess is Stephen sleeps well.  His demons are all imaginary.  And he knows where they are and what they're doing 24/7.  Unlike the rest of us.

Jean Harrington
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JeanHarrington wrote:

Ha!  My guess is Stephen sleeps well.  His demons are all imaginary.  And he knows where they are and what they're doing 24/7.  Unlike the rest of us.

I read his biography and he does have or did have personal demons at one time with acohol and possibly drugs. Also, when he was very little, his father went out for cigarettes one night and never returned home. His mother worked long hours to support him and his older brother. She would make sure they had lots of books from the library to keep them out of trouble - hence his love of reading.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

JeanHarrington wrote:

I read his biography and he does have or did have personal demons at one time with acohol and possibly drugs. Also, when he was very little, his father went out for cigarettes one night and never returned home. His mother worked long hours to support him and his older brother. She would make sure they had lots of books from the library to keep them out of trouble - hence his love of reading.

I had no idea, Eadie - thanks for sharing this!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jean - Not sure if I asked this, but do you plot your books out or do you write "organically"?

Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

My guess is Stephen King sleeps well at night.  After all, he knows where the villain is at all times.  For readers, it's the not knowing that can keep us awake.  But that's why we read King.  No?  Interesting to speculate about though. 

Jean Harrington
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Becke, I never received a call about a sale.  The sales were all "discussed" via e-mail.  Both  for my earlier historicals and for the current Designed for Death.  Although actually, in the case of DFD, I was in Hawaii with my family when Angela James from Carina called to say they would "love" to publish the mystery.  So I missed out there, and we communicated by e-mail after that.

But I have received calls saying I'd finaled in several contests.  One--which shall go nameless--I had forgotten all about and kept asking the caller, "Who is this?"  "What did I win?"  Those calls were a thrill, of course.  Especially when you forgot you'd entered the contest in the first place!  Shoot me.   

Jean Harrington
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

I guess there are Stephen King sightings everywhere.  He's been seen around town here in Naples too.  Wonder if he'd enjoy my murder mystery?  If I get stuck on an elevator with him that's what I'll ask!  Ha.  Problem solved.

Jean Harrington
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Yeah, for Americans, I guess celebrities--of all kinds--are our royalty.  Great to bask in the presence of their star shine.

Jean Harrington
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Oh my gosh, yes, Becke, I will be actively talking about my books for the next several months. Though I will amend that to say in Florida only--at least at this point.  I'm working with several of my RWA writing friends to be on an e-book panel.  A local bookstore has asked for us, and we'd love to bring the panel discussion to our B & N store here in town as well.  Also the Southwest Florida chapter of RWA is sponsoring a writing conference in Estero on February 24 and 25.  I'll be there with handouts and good words, if not actual paper books, and the same at the Ft. Myers Reading Festival in March.  On February 20, I'll be at my community authors' Day, and In April I'll be a panelist at a Day of Dessert and Death planned for the Bonita Springs Library,

So 'tis the season in Florida, always a busy time.  And this year more so than ever.    

Jean Harrington
Author
JeanHarrington
0 Kudos

Becke, Am I a "panster" or a "plotter?"  A little of both.  I like to have an outline--rough, not a classic  format that gives me the main plot points, so I know where I'm heading with the story.  I've written book outlines of perhaps 19 pages.  However, I've found that once begun, the story takes over.  The characters go down paths I hadn't anticipated--they have sex too soon, or too late--they killl their lovers, whether they should or shouldn''t--without telling me ahead of time.  Stuff like that.  But surprises  are what make the creative process so exciting.  Writing a book is NOT like shoveling coal into a furnace.  The writer isn't an engineer, he's an imagineer.

Jean Harrington