becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author Jamie Freveletti

Today's guest blog is by JAMIE FREVELETTI - regulars here may remember Jamie, who has visited here before. Here are those links:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-welcome-JAMIE-FREVELETTI-May-s-Month-of-Intern...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/2-Featured-Authors-This-Week-Meet-JAMIE-FREVELETTI/m-...

I met Jamie at Magna Cum Murder a few years ago - coincidentally, that's where I first met Caroline Todd, too. Unfortunately, I was under the weather so I missed out on most of the events at that conference, and the whole thing passed in kind of a blur.

Jamie's books have achieved much acclaim. In addition to her own books, she was also selected to write more Robert Ludlum books. I'll include all the book links in a separate comment box.

Jamie's website is here: http://www.jamiefreveletti.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author Jamie Freveletti

[ Edited ]

Jamie Freveletti is a trial attorney, martial artist, and runner. She has crewed for an elite ultra-marathon runner at 50 mile, 100 mile, and twenty-four hour races across the country, and holds a black belt in aikido, a Japanese martial art. After law school she lived in Geneva, Switzerland while obtaining a diploma in International Studies. Back in Chicago, she represented clients in areas ranging from class actions for mass salmonella poisoning to securities fraud.

Her debut thriller, Running from the Devil, was chosen as a “Notable Book” by the Independent Booksellers of America, awarded "Best First Novel" by the International Thriller Writers, awarded a Barry Award for "Best First Novel" by Deadly Pleasures Magazine, and nominated for a Macavity Award for" Best First Mystery" by the Mystery Readers International and "Favorite First Novel of 2009" by Crimespree Magazine. It has been translated into three languages and was an international bestseller.

Her second novel, Running Dark, released in June, 2010, hit both the Chicagoland and South Florida bestseller lists and the third novel in her series, The Ninth Day released in September, 2011 and was chosen as one of the "Best Thrillers of 2011" by Suspense Magazine.

In January, 2011, she was tapped by the Estate of Robert Ludlum to write the next in the Covert One series. That novel,Robert Ludlum's The Janus Reprisal, released on September 11, 2012. The fourth in her series, Dead Asleep will be released on October 30, 2012.

She lives in Chicago with her family.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

News from Jamie's website - if the links below don't work, you can access them here:

http://www.jamiefreveletti.com/news

Entertainment Weekly Sept 7, 2012

Added on September 09, 2012

THE JANUS REPRISAL mentioned in Entertainment Weekly's September 7, 2012 issue!

Read This Entry

Quote in AK Bell Perth Library!

Added on September 09, 2012

My neighbor was on a trip through Scotland and said that she was surprised to see this quote from me "Libraries are where dreams begin" stenciled on the library wall. She asked her friend to take a photo and send it to me. Thanks to Peggy Barber for her sharp eyes,…

Read This Entry

The Ninth Day picked by Chicago Tribune “Best of Chicago 2011”

Added on December 17, 2011

So pleased and appreciative to be part of this list! http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/ct-books-chicago-favorites-2011,0,4488833.story

Read This Entry

THE NINTH DAY CHOSEN BEST OF 2011 BY SUSPENSE MAGAZINE

Added on December 04, 2011

Suspense Magazine just issued their December edition and their "Best of 2011" list and THE NINTH DAY was chosen as one of the best thrillers of the year!  Great news and if you go to this link and click on the email invitation you can receive four free issues. http://www.suspensemagazine.com/

Read This Entry
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Check out Jamie's journal here:

http://www.jamiefreveletti.com/journal/entry/dont-throw-water-on-the-fire

Don’t Throw Water On The Fire

Added on January 18, 2012 | Posted in: General | Comments: Add your own | Sharing: Share this

Those who know me or have read some of my earlier posts know that I am often annoyed by those who feel the need to explain to me or others why a life in the creative industry is not going to end well, either financially or emotionally. These people end up urging their children, my children, my friends, or random strangers who are contemplating such a life to take the safe route. These are the ones who say, “you’ll never make it because the odds are…" you can fill in the blank here but make it good, like “a million to one,” because they always do. Then they urge the children, friends or others to take up a safe job that doesn’t fit their interests. It’s the equivalent (for women) of urging someone to marry the man who’s “good on paper” because you want security.

This always annoys the hell out of me.

Of course, these same individuals talk about how difficult it is to make a living in this current economic climate and that for the first time children may not surpass their parents in earning power due to the worldwide recession. They talk about the need to have a ‘fire in the belly” to make it.

And then they proceed to dump water on the person burning in front of them.

I’ve been on both sides and I think it’s all hard and you’d better be prepared to work for it. Being a lawyer is grueling and stressful and intellectually demanding and interesting and can be very lucrative. It can also be stressful, demanding and not so lucrative. Depends on where you are at any given time in the legal food chain. Is it a safer bet than being a writer or a rock star? Perhaps. The road map to success is better defined for the “regular” jobs, but life throws curves all the time.

And let’s not forget that the biggest curve that life throws is death.  

Last Saturday night I was in a club on the South Side of Chicago listening to live rock music and talking to a guitar playing veteran of the music scene in the city. He looked and talked like the musicians that I recall from my childhood; he was a thin, cigarette smoking, avant garde and interesting guy.  We got to talking about a life in the relatively risky creative arts and he said, “Look, you could get that safe job and spend your whole life that way, but what are you waiting for? When you’re ninety-six years old and have three days left? Is that when you decide to do what you love?

Here’s what I say;  

Someone has to be a rock star; it might as well be you;

Someone has to write books; it might as well be you;

And someone has to sleep with artists, and it might as well be you. So practice that instrument, write those words, put on those heels, and go find something, or someone, to love.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I wish I could make to this event, but I'll still have my grandbaby tonight:

Winston & Strawn hosted CBA Event November 8, Chicago, IL 5:30

November 08, 2012 | 

Chicago Bar Association Member Exclusive

Panel Discussion with Lawyer/ Writers Laura Caldwell, Jamie Freveletti and Moderator Mary Hutchings Reed

November 8, 5:30

Hosted by Winston & Strawn

35 W. Wacker Drive

Chicago IL

(312) 558-5600

Anyone in Wisconsin?

Murder and Mayhem in Muskego, November 10, Muskego, WI

November 10, 2012 | 

The 8th annual Murder and Mayhem in Muskego Library event will be held all day on November 10th with a meet and greet on November 9th. The full schedule can be found here and the panel details are as follows:

2:10 PM - 3:00 PM

Well, There's Your Problem--Overused Devices in Crime Fiction

(Erin Mitchell, moderator)
Sara Blaedel
Jamie Freveletti
Reed Farrel Coleman
Craig McDonald

Registration required. Sign up online or in person.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dead Asleep  

Overview

The devil is awake in paradise . . .

Biochemist Emma Caldridge comes to a remote tropical island in the Caribbean in search of minerals believed to reverse the aging process. What she finds instead are the bloody remnants of a bizarre religious ritual. And here, where the local people speak in whispers about sea monsters, ancient voodoo curses, and rampaging evil, she discovers something far more real . . . and more terrifying.

One by one, the island’s innocent inhabitants are descending into a paralyzing sleep of the dead—victims of a long-dormant, terrifying, and incurable pandemic that could once again wreak unimaginable havoc if it escapes from the island to spread like wildfire across the globe. Trapped by a global quarantine, Emma must break through the fear and superstition to get to the truth and stop the real evil, before she herself succumbs to the death sleep . . . along with millions of others.

Because the evil here has an all-too-human face . . . and the deadly ingredients of the apocalypse are suddenly for sale to the highest bidder.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

When Fiction Meets Folklore

by Jamie Freveletti

My new novel, DEAD ASLEEP is a bit of a departure for me and for my character, Emma Caldridge. For those who haven’t read the earlier novels, Emma is an ultra runner and chemist who travels the world searching for plants that have a cosmetic application. She is determined, logical and unafraid. For the past three novels, Running From The Devil, Running Dark, and The Ninth Day she has been in dangerous circumstances mostly of man’s making.  In Dead Asleep she meets with nature in a way that can’t be controlled or altered.

In Dead Asleep I wanted Emma the scientist to meet with things that on their face can’t be explained by science.  I was reading a horror novel at the time that I began writing and the zombie craze in popular literature was in full swing and I began to wonder; where did these tales begin? Coincidentally, I traveled to see my father and we started discussing tales from the old country (Italy and Sicily) and he said that my grandmother used to insist that she had heard stories of a man in her father’s small village that would turn into a werewolf every month. My dad didn’t seem to believe the tale, but he gave me a shrug and said, “Your great-grandfather wasn’t one to make things up and people claimed to have spotted him at night.”

I went home and began researching folklore.

What I found fascinated me. It seems as though one can find very similar tales of creatures in far flung locales. For example, I grew up in a rural area and behind our house was a large cornfield.  So, of course, we would tell tales of the “Corn Man” who would come out of the field late at night and attack people foolish enough to be walking near.  I found that similar “corn men” stories can be heard in many rural areas across the country. It’s astonishing how many corn men that people claim live in fields and are wandering around our farm areas. If true, they’d fill a small village.

These tales are everywhere. It’s a bit like the yeti, abominable snowman, and Big Foot myths repeated in various countries and climates. Of course, no one has ever produced a picture of any of these boogie men and monsters.

There are several myths that do have a basis in reality, and those were fascinating to learn about as well. For example, medieval sailors’ tales of sea monsters with long octopus tentacles reaching up into the sky and grabbing onto a boat can likely be traced to large squid species.

Most of the events in Dead Asleep take place on an island. Island culture is filled with spooky folklore and the tropic climate is a perfect environment for the medicinal, hallucinogenic and deadly plants that Emma finds. Likewise, she’s near the Bermuda triangle, and we all know how that region has spawned strange stories.

Emma meets with several manifestations of the spooky tales in the novel; from a man who is reputed to be a zombie to an area of the ocean where underwater caves called the “blue holes” that house a sea creature called a “Lusca” that’s a cross between a large squid and a shark. It has long tentacles like the squid and the head and teeth of a shark. The Blue Holes exist (I presume that the creature does not), and underwater tunnel diving is the equivalent for divers that climbing Everest is for mountaineers. The danger in the tunnels can be extreme, with one string of tunnels near Egypt that have claimed the lives of an estimated forty people.

Emma explores and debunks a lot of these myths during the course of the novel, but there is one that not only can’t be debunked, but is real, can’t be solved, cured or bargained with, and that’s a pandemic virus. In this regard, the scary tale is all too true. Not everything can be explained or cured by science, and perhaps there lies our scariest tale of all.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Wondeful blog, Jamie and your blog about your new book has made me very interested in it. I've never read any books by you but I'm interested in paranormal or horror type mysteries that don't scare me too much, i.e., Stephen King. Thanks for being here and sharing your blog with us.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome Jamie:

Enjoyed your blog very much. I have RUNNING FROM THE DEVIL in my to-be-read pile. I just have to move it to the top and since your visit is a reminder, I will be reading it soon. Your other books look interesting too. But I am one of those "read in order" of how the author wrote them. I like to see how the author progresses and it's the best way to keep up with the characters as they are introduced.

Thanks for visiting with us and come back soon!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I think one of my best friends has been trying to get me to read one of these for a bit now.  I'm going to have to ask her which one it was.  Thanks for the blog!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Great Blog!

Heart pumping, foot stomping, can't wait to get my hands on some (or all) of your books!

A little mystery, some science thrown in, fast paced....whewwwww

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt