Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author KAYLEA CROSS

This is going to be the last guest blog I'll be posting for awhile. Today's guest blog is brought to you by romantic suspense author KAYLEA CROSS! Her website is here: http://kayleacross.com/v2/

Here are some of Kaylea's latest news updates:

Recent News!

• Darkest Caress will be part of Harlequin’s paranormal Direct To Customer print program in June!
  • March 2012 – Deadly Descent is a 2012 New England RWA  Bean Pot finalist!
  • March 2012 – Absolution wins the 2012 EPIC Awards!
  • November 2011 – Absolution takes 3rd in the 2011 Laurel Wreath Awards!
  • October 2011 – No Turning Back wins the 2011 Aspen Gold Competition!
  • October 2011 – Relentless takes 3rd in the 2011 Heart of Excellence Awards!
  • September 2011 -  Absolution is a 2012 EPIC Finalist!
  • July 2011 – Contracted a paranormal romantic suspense with Carina Press!
  • July 2011 – Cover of Darkness and No Turning Back are finalists in the Aspen Gold Competition!
  • July 2011 – Relentless and Absolution are finalists in the Heart of Excellence Awards!
  • May 2011 – Cover of Darkness is a finalist in the Daphne Du Maurier Awards!
  • April 2011 – No Turning Back is an OKRWA National Readers’ Choice Awards finalist!

author_photo_(2).jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author KAYLEA CROSS

Kaylea Cross is an award winning author of edge-of-your-seat romantic suspense. A Registered Massage Therapist, Kaylea is an avid gardener, artist, Civil War buff, Special Ops aficionado, bellydancer and former nationally-carded softball pitcher. She is an active member of the Greater Vancouver Romance Writers of America chapter and lives in Vancouver, BC with her husband.

Loves:

• Military alpha male heroes
  • Dark chocolate
  • The Civil War
  • Gardening
  • Belly dancing
  • Baseball (especially the Boston Red Sox)

Awards:

• 2009 Laurel Wreath Contest winner, Out of Her League
  • 2010 Heart of Excellence Readers’ Choice Award winner, Cover of Darkness
  • 2010 Heart of Excellence Readers’ Choice Award 2nd place, No Turning Back
  • 2010 Laurel Wreath Award winner, No Turning Back
  • 2010 Laurel Wreath Award 3rd place, Cover of Darkness
  • 2011 EPIC Contest finalist, Cover of Darkness
  • 2011 EPIC Contest finalist, No Turning Back
  • 2011 National Readers’ Choice Award finalist, No Turning Back
  • 2011 Daphne du Maurier Award finalist, Cover of Darkness
  • 2011 Heart of Excellence Readers’ Choice Award 3rd place, Relentless
  • 2011 Heart of Excellence Readers’ Choice Award finalist, Absolution
  • 2011 Aspen Gold Competition winner, No Turning Back
  • 2011 Aspen Gold Competition finalist, Cover of Darkness
  • 2011 Laurel Wreath 3rd place, Absolution
  • 2012 EPIC Award winner, Absolution
  • 2012 NECRWA Bean Pot Contest finalist, Deadly Descent
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Overview

Gunship pilot Captain Candace Bradford has worked long and hard to earn her rank and position within the male-dominated world of Air Force Special Operations. She's not about to let anything or anyone jeopardize that, let alone one sinfully tempting man who seems determined to cause her nothing but trouble. Even if she's starting to fall for him.

As an elite Combat Controller, Staff Sergeant Ryan Wentworth is used to overcoming adversity in order to complete a mission. Breaking through Candace's prickly exterior and into her heart is a challenge he can't let go. But just when he's begun to gain her trust, they're thrown together in the field facing an overwhelming enemy force.

Candace and Ryan find themselves on the run, searching the skies for an emergency extraction. But one dangerous enemy has an agenda in mind and he'll use whatever means necessary to achieve it, including using American forces to do his dirty work.

Don't miss Deadly Descent, also by Kaylea Cross.

Tactical_Strike_final.jpg
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kaylea Cross’s Military Romance Characters

I know you’ve heard of Navy SEALs, Rangers and Special Forces heroes, and maybe Delta Force ones too. But I bet you haven’t heard much about the heroes of Air Force Special Operations, like Pararescue Jumpers, gunship pilots or Combat Controllers. I aim to change that.

Tactical Strike is the second book of my Bagram Special Ops trilogy, and it features a few of the heroes and heroines of AFSOC. The whole purpose of the series in the first place was to shine a spotlight on some of the lesser known branches of the military serving over in Afghanistan. This time I wanted to write books featuring both men and women in uniform, though of course this posed all sorts of interesting obstacles for me to overcome with the story lines. Namely because romantic relationships between service members are strictly forbidden, and a punishable offense. But since I write romance, I had to somehow make it work in order to write the books. That proved very challenging, to say the least.

I like to read a lot of non-fiction and watch documentaries and YouTube footage for research, and I try to put interesting tidbits of what I’ve learned into my stories. I hope you’ll learn something new and interesting about the military with each Bagram book.

If you’re interested in reading the books, the first story is Deadly Descent, then Tactical Strike, and Lethal Pursuit will be out this September.

I hope you fall in love with my military heroes. Happy reading!

Kaylea Cross

Tactical Strike Blurb: Gunship pilot Captain Candace Bradford has worked long and hard to earn her rank and position within the male-dominated world of Air Force Special Operations. She’s not about to let anything or anyone jeopardize that, let alone one sinfully tempting man who seems determined to cause her nothing but trouble. Even if she’s starting to fall for him.

As an elite Combat Controller, Staff Sergeant Ryan Wentworth is used to overcoming adversity in order to complete a mission. Breaking through Candace’s prickly exterior and into her heart is a challenge he can’t let go. But just when he’s begun to gain her trust, they’re thrown together in the field facing an overwhelming enemy force.

Candace and Ryan find themselves on the run, searching the skies for an emergency extraction. But one dangerous enemy has an agenda in mind and he’ll use whatever means necessary to achieve it, including using American forces to do his dirty work.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I haven't really liked the romantic suspense books I've read in the past, but I know there will be one out there that I like.  I may check into these next time I'm in the mood.  Thanks for the guest blog!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I haven't really liked the romantic suspense books I've read in the past, but I know there will be one out there that I like.  I may check into these next time I'm in the mood.  Thanks for the guest blog!

Some of the first mysteries I read were romantic suspense (Mary Stewart, Susan Howatch, Velda Johnston, Dorothy Eden) so I've always had a fondness for that sub-genre!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Great blog. Kaylea. I hope you have a great day here on the forum.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Kaylea:

Enjoyed your blog. I will be checking your books out - they look very interesting!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I really liked the two Dorothy Eden books you sent me, I guess it's the modern take on romantic suspsense I'm not liking.  Maybe too much romance, not enough myster?  I'm not quite sure what my deal is.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Some of the first mysteries I read were romantic suspense (Mary Stewart, Susan Howatch, Velda Johnston, Dorothy Eden) so I've always had a fondness for that sub-genre!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I really liked the two Dorothy Eden books you sent me, I guess it's the modern take on romantic suspsense I'm not liking.  Maybe too much romance, not enough myster?  I'm not quite sure what my deal is.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Difficult for me to judge since I read romance about as much as I read mystery!

New User
Kayleacross
0 Kudos

Hi, Ryan! If you don't love romantic suspense, then perhaps my books won't be a good fit for you. They're pretty heavy on both the action and the romance, and I tend to be very graphic. That said, some recommendations for great romantic suspense books are All the Queen's Men, by Linda Howard, Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter Series, and Karen Robards' books. Hope you find one you fall in love with

Best,

Kaylea

New User
Kayleacross
0 Kudos

Thanks, maxcat! Have a great weekend.

Kaylea

New User
Kayleacross
0 Kudos

Hi, eadieburke. Glad to be here!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Kaylea - Thanks so much for joining us! You should see an "author" tag show up under your name here before too long.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Please Welcome Featured Author Author KAYLEA CROSS

Kaylea was nice enough to write a guest blog for us in advance of her featured visit. She writes romantic suspense - which is one of my favorite mystery sub-genres. Please give Kaylea a big B&N welcome!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please Welcome Featured Author Author KAYLEA CROSS

Kaylea has more releases coming soon. This is from her website: http://kayleacross.com/v2/coming-soon/

Upcoming Releases:

• The Vacant Chair, a Civil War romance I’m self publishing, will likely release in late spring/early summer 2013
  •  Lethal Pursuit, book 3 of the Bagram Special Ops series (featuring Maya and Jackson), coming September 16th, 2013 from Carina Press

In Progress:

• Blown Away, the first of a new military romantic suspense series
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kaylea blogs here: http://www.kayleacross.blogspot.com/

and here:http://www.writersgonewild.blogspot.com/

You can read an excerpt of TACTICAL STRIKE here: http://kayleacross.com/v2/

Kaylea is on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kaylea-Cross/62909709297?ref=ts

Twitter: https://twitter.com/kayleacross

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2902054.Kaylea_Cross

And Blogger: http://www.blogger.com/profile/09865705591442097978

More about Kaylea from her Blogger profile:

About me

Gender Female
Industry Publishing
Occupation author
Location Vancouver, BC, Canada
Introduction Author of edge-of-your-seat romantic suspense. I love military alpha male heroes, dark chocolate, the Civil War, gardening, belly dancing and baseball (but my heart belongs to the Boston Red Sox). I also write steamy romances as Callie Croix.
Interests Writing, painting, gardening, softball, belly dance
Favorite Movies Gone With the Wind, Glory
Favorite Music U2
Favorite Books

anything by J.R. Ward, Gennita Low, Linda Howard

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

Lone Survivor  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Hi, Kaylea, I hope you had a great visit. I love a good romance suspense. I loved Victoria Holt and Phyliss Whitney.

I must check out your books.

Have a great visit.

ReadingPatti