Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author Mitzi Szereto!

[ Edited ]

Today's guest blogger, Mitzi Szereto, takes mystery in an interesting direction with her Thelonious T. Bear Chronicles:

Normal for Norfolk (The Thelonious T. Bear Chronicles)  

The Authors:

Mitzi Szereto (mitziszereto.com) is an author of multi-genre fiction and non-fiction, has her own blog Errant Ramblings: Mitzi Szereto’s Weblog, and is the creator/presenter of Mitzi TV, which covers “quirky” London. Her books include Thrones of Desire: Erotic Tales of Swords, Mist and Fire (Sept. 2012); Pride and Prejudice: Hidden Lusts; Red Velvet and Absinthe: Paranormal Erotic Romance; In Sleeping Beauty’s Bed: Erotic Fairy Tales; Getting Even: Revenge Stories; Dying for It: Tales of Sex and Death; and Wicked: Sexy Tales of Legendary Lovers. Her anthology Erotic Travel Tales 2 is the first anthology of erotica to feature a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature. She divides her time between the UK and USA.

Teddy Tedaloo is a celebrity teddy bear, trendsetter, world traveler, and the production assistant extraordinaire/co-star of the web TV channel Mitzi TV. Widely popular in social media circles such as Facebook and Twitter, he’s known for his entertaining commentary and opinions as well as being an advocate for animal welfare. He lives (and goes) wherever Mitzi lives (and goes). Normal for Norfolk is his first novel.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author Mitzi Szereto!

About Mitzi

Mitzi Szereto

Mitzi Szereto is an author and anthology editor of multi-genre fiction and non-fiction, has her own blog “Errant Ramblings: Mitzi Szereto’s Weblog” and is creator/presenter of the Web TV channel “Mitzi TV”, which covers the “quirky” side of London.[

Her books include Thrones of Desire: Erotic Tales of Swords, Mist and FirePride and Prejudice: Hidden LustsRed Velvet and Absinthe: Paranormal Erotic RomanceIn Sleeping Beauty’s Bed: Erotic Fairy TalesGetting Even: Revenge StoriesDying for It: Tales of Sex and DeathWicked: Sexy Tales of Legendary LoversThe New Black Lace Book of Women’s Sexual Fantasies; the Erotic Travel Talesanthology series; Silk Sheets: Collected Stories of Mitzi SzeretoThe World’s Best Sex Writing 2005; and the M. S. Valentine erotic novels. She has pioneered erotic writing workshops in the UK and mainland Europe, teaching them from the Cheltenham Festival of Literature to the Greek islands.

She’s also lectured in creative writing at several British universities. She’s been featured in publications such as the Sunday Telegraph, Independent, Times, Observer, Toronto Star, Guardian, The London Paper, Company Magazine, Dare Magazine, Family Circle, and Writing Magazine, and on BBC Radio, Bravo UK Television, Telecinco TV 5 (Spain), Newstalk Ireland, Talk Radio Europe, and FM4 ORF (Austria). Her anthologyErotic Travel Tales 2 is the first anthology of erotica to feature a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mitzi's website is here: http://mitziszereto.com/

The Mitzi TV crew head into the wilds of central London to seek out some furry characters at the Hugglets Teddy Bear Festival (http://www.hugglets.co.uk).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

http://mitziszereto.com/blog/

Normal for Norfolk: The Literary Collaboration of the Century

July 13th, 2012

Normal for Norfolk (The Thelonious T. Bear Chronicles)I guess it was inevitable that I’d finally end up being completely usurped by my famous celebrity sidekick bear Teddy Tedaloo. His popularity has continued to grow over the years, and many of my fans and readers have been going over to his camp. Obviously I don’t wish to begrudge him his successes – he deserves every bit of it! But what’s a lowly author to do when she discovers that her star is waning while that of her bear’s is waxing?

Why, write a book together, of course! I’m referring to the release of our new venture Normal for Norfolk (The Thelonious T. Bear Chronicles),  billed in the publishing industry as a “quirky crime novel.” It’s the first in our new series featuring the diminutive ursine protagonist and unlikely hero Thelonious T. Bear – a Mini Cooper-driving photojournalist teddy with a fondness for deerstalker hats, cologne, and real ale.

Unfortunately for the hapless Thelonious, he keeps ending up in the wrong place at the wrong time, which accounts for why the spotlight of suspicion shines upon him in a murder enquiry. The fact that he’s far too small and far too short to be battering grown men with crowbars and hauling their dead bodies around makes little impact on the man in charge of the investigation: the bumbling Detective Chief Inspector Horatio Sidebottom of Norfolk CID.

At the risk of sounding like a book publicist, if you like your crime and mystery a wee bit different, you’ll definitely get your shilling’s worth with Normal for Norfolk! Did I mention the flatulent dachshund, the tobacco-cured rock guitarist, the beekeeper, the celebrity TV chef, the whisky-drinking old granny and the 21st century’s answer to the Kray brothers? They’re in here too. There’s even a grumpy vicar. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if the county of Norfolk appoints Teddy and I their official authors laureate!

Not surprisingly, the novel is taking off big time with the ursine community. Ted’s furry friends (and even those who aren’t so furry) are rallying around the novel like gangbusters, giving it some major paws (and claws) up. I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve been putting my eggs into the wrong baskets all this time. I mean, here I’ve got a slew of Facebook friends and Twitter followers, and yet I’m not getting nearly the amount of cheering and celebration and recognition that Teddy is. Hmmm… Funny, that.

Mitzi Szereto & Teddy Tedaloo (photo credit Eric Schneider)

Mitzi Szereto & Teddy Tedaloo – The hottest literary partnership of 2012!

As for my new literary partnership with Mr. Tedaloo, some of you might be thinking that I’m trying to get a free ride on someone else’s coattails. Sure, we’ve seen it before – writers who can’t come up with their own stuff and freeload off someone else’s labours, even latching on to a bigger name to gain some glory for themselves. I’m afraid that in this particular instance I might be guilty of the latching-on business. But times are tough, and it’s not easy trying to make a living as a writer. To stay alive as a writer, one must expand one’s literary horizons – and expanding my literary horizons is something I most definitely do.

It’s always good to keep folk wondering (and hopefully wondering with anticipation) what you’ll come up with next! As for riding on coattails and all that, I should tell you that Normal for Norfolk (The Thelonious T. Bear Chronicles) was in its inception long before the film “Ted” showed its face in cinemas or was even being spoken about. Besides, our hero Thelonious doesn’t use foul language like (ahem) a certain animated bear. Which is not to say you won’t find some foul language in the novel. When you have Vinnie and Desmond Clark, two thugs from Bow, East London featuring prominently in the book, you’re bound to run into that sort of thing. So for that reason I’ll give our novel a PG rating.

So go on, you lot. Buy your print or e-book copy of NORMAL FOR NORFOLK now, because if you don’t…well, maybe Teddy and I will need to have a friendly word with the Clark brothers. And I don’t think you really want that, do you?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Normal for Norfolk (The Thelonious T. Bear Chronicles)  

Overview

Pub landlords are being murdered in Norfolk!

Thelonious T. Bear, ursine photojournalist, leaves behind the big city life of London to take an assignment in the Norfolk countryside, where he hopes to find the real England. Instead he stumbles upon gastro-pubs, crazed Audi drivers and murder. As the hapless Thelonious keeps ending up in the wrong place at the wrong time, he attracts the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Horatio Sidebottom of Norfolk Constabulary CID, who’s determined to tie Thelonious to the crimes. Add in a pair of hoods from London’s East End, celebrity TV chef Paolo Louis Black, and plenty of oddball local characters and it all adds up to a madcap journey through England’s most quirky county, where everything is normal for Norfolk!

“For anyone who’s ever wondered what Paddington at Large would have been like if it had been written by Raymond Chandler—and who hasn’t?—Mitzi Szereto has the answer. Like Philip Marlowe, Szereto’s Thelonious T. Bear is a modern knight errant who plays it cool even as the light of suspicion shines on him. And like Paddington, he’s short of stature and long on charm. If you like your sleuths tough, cynical and cute as a button, Normal for Norfolk is the book for you.” —Steve Hockensmith, author of Holmes on the Range and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls

“Normal for Norfolk has it all: magic, gritty realism, humor, cultural commentary, intelligence, charm, and suspense. The hero of this novel, Thelonious T. Bear, finds himself at the heart of a mystery. He’s a photojournalist like no other, a pub-loving, anthropomorphized bear who wears cologne and a deerstalker hat. I am eager to read the next book in Mitzi Szereto’s series.” —Janice Eidus, author of The War of the Rosens and The Last Jewish Virgin

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Mitzi Szereto

Everyone is always keen to pigeonhole books into a certain category—and that’s not always possible to do. If you asked me what genre my new novel is, I’d have to say crime, mystery, fantasy, magic realism and humor. However, if you put a gun to my head, I’ll go with quirky crime novel. And if that isn’t an official genre, let’s make it one now!

Like most writers, I tend to be very independent when I work, so the idea of co-writing a novel with another author is not natural to me. However, if I had to collaborate with someone, I can’t think of anyone better than my sidekick bear, Teddy Tedaloo. He was instrumental to this book, and neither it nor the series would have been conceived or written without him. The fact that he also happens to be a bear obviously had some…err… bearing on the development of the ursine protagonist,

Thelonious T. Bear. Thelonious isn’t like most bears. For one thing, he drives a Mini Cooper with a Union Jack on the roof. For another, he wears a deerstalker hat and cologne, adores Charlie Parker, and is not one to suffer fools gladly. Thelonious, a photojournalist by profession, seems to have a lot of bad luck. Being a diminutively statured bear living in human society is difficult enough. But through no fault of his, he becomes a suspect in a series of murders of village publicans.

The choice of setting began with a visit to Norfolk. Teddy and I were invited to stay with a friend in an old farmhouse just minutes down the road from Sandringham Estate, the Royal Family’s residence in the county. I’d already had an inkling of a novel ping-ponging about in my head, but I had no idea where to take it. That week in Norfolk cinched it. Everything came together in a matter of minutes. We were chilling out one lunch time with a pint of ale in a village pub when a vicar seated a table away made an inquiry about Teddy. I realized immediately that this was no ordinary Norfolk vicar (his Welsh accent being a dead giveaway!).

We got to chatting, as one does in these village pubs, and he told us that his parish was located in the rather notorious county of Essex. Perhaps you need to be British to comprehend the whole absurdity of a Welsh vicar in Essex, but take my word for it—you couldn’t make this stuff up!

My brain went into quirky overdrive as we continued to banter back and forth with the vicar, with me scribbling down random ideas on bits of paper I managed to forage out of my handbag and scrounge off the barmaid, the entire plotline suddenly coming together where before there was nothing save for the main character. It was truly one of those Eureka! moments that writers probably wish they had more of. Thanks to an earlier visit to what had unexpectedly turned out to be a gastropub frequented by London yuppies, I had yet another motif developing alongside the main one. You might say that gastropub was the catalyst for the whole murder idea (you should’ve seen their prices!).

Norfolk is full of characters and we created plenty of colorful ones for our book. We’ve got a detective chief inspector so annoying and inept that it’s a wonder any crimes ever get solved. We’ve got a tobacco-cured old rock guitarist who downs whiskies at breakneck speed in contest with an ancient old granny.  We’ve got a B&B landlady who has a bit of a yen for Thelonious. We’ve got a celebrity TV chef who wants to take over every pub in Norfolk. We’ve even got a couple of thugs from London’s East End—a pair of rough geezers who fancy themselves the 21st Century version of the Kray brothers. Throw in a dead pheasant, a beekeeper, a grumpy vicar (of course I had to stick a vicar in somewhere), and an obnoxious Audi driver, and it’s all go from here!

Oh, did I mention the dog? Yes, there’s a dog in the book too—Lord Nelson, the flatulent old dachshund that belongs to the publican at The Drowned Duck, which is where much of the action takes place.

So maybe now you can understand why just about anything is normal for Norfolk!

Teddy and I hope you will enjoy reading Normal for Norfolk (The Thelonious T. Bear Chronicles). Please be sure to keep an eye out for more books in the series. We’ve already got the next one planned!

Book website: http://mitziszereto.com/normalfornorfolk/

Author website: http://mitziszereto.com

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Welcome Mitzi:

Enjoyed your blog - love the bears! I will have to check out Normal for Norfolk - looks very interesting!

Enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Mitzi, Welcome, I hope you have a great visit. I must check out some of your books. I love the titles.

Again, have a great visit.

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Mitzi:

Enjoyed your blog - love the bears! I will have to check out Normal for Norfolk - looks very interesting!

Enjoy your visit with us!

Ditto. Enjoyed the video of your visit to the Hugglets festival, Mitzi, as I'm a Teddy Bear collector myself, and actually had some recognition of th bear faces shown as the camera was panning around some of the stands. You did a good interviewing job, too, Mitzi. I get aggravated at journalists who interview someone whose bailiwick they are not familiar with, nor, really interested in, as their questions show they didn't bother to do their homework. I thought your questions showed that you did have an interest in the person and the subject matter, in this case, Teddy Bears. Also the pictures of you and Teddy Tedaloo are spectacular. I'm quite looking forward to reading Normal for Norfolk now!

P.S. Have you given any thought to you and T.T. taking a trip to the U.S., and attending some of the Teddy Bear shows there?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Love your blog, Mitzi. I guess ideas can come out of the blue from anywhere and anytime. I love the idea of the use of a bear and who says you have to catagorize books. Nowadays, what is a YA book can be read by adults and mysteries can have many facets to it that you pretty much thought of everything for your mystery. I will definitely check into getting the book. Thanks for the blog.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I feel terrible! Mitzi has been trying to get in all day to respond to your comments, without success. And, of course, the one day I needed to be here to help her, I was on the road and caught up in a family emergency, so I've been away from the computer all day.

Hopefully she'll be able to beat back the gremlins and join us tomorrow. I'll only be online periodically, but hopefully we can fix Mitzi's sign in problems.

Here's a bouquet to thank Mitzi for persevering! Sorry  - this is so frustrating! I wish we could make the sign in process less problematic. I'm sure the techs are working on it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Oh no, not the gnomes again! Hang in there, Mitzi--the tech peeps are good at chasing away those glitch-causing little people, as I have cause to know. I'm a veteran of the "gnome" wars here myself, so I feel your pain!

Have a nice cuppa and some biscuits while you are waiting to get on the forum here. A hug from Teddy Tedaloo wouldn't hurt either!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's some tea and biscuits to tide you over until Mitzi is able to sign in. I think she's posting from England, so there's a time difference of five or six hours.

I'm in Chicago - I'll be off the computer for long stretches again today, so I really hope Mitzi is able to get in now. If she does, please give her a huge welcome!

Thanks! And now - tea time!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Here's some tea and biscuits to tide you over until Mitzi is able to sign in. I think she's posting from England, so there's a time difference of five or six hours.

I'm in Chicago - I'll be off the computer for long stretches again today, so I really hope Mitzi is able to get in now. If she does, please give her a huge welcome!

Thanks! And now - tea time!

I'm having Earl Gray and bread pudding. For real - lol

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
AuthorMitzi
0 Kudos

Thanks so much! I'm so pleased to have been invited!

Author
AuthorMitzi
0 Kudos

Cheers, Patti!
Author
AuthorMitzi
0 Kudos

Teddy and I are actually in America now, as it happens! Alas, the official Mitzi TV crew is not - our beloved cameraman passed away a couple of years ago. But who knows - we might reappear elsewhere! We enjoyed doing the Hugglets event. There were so many great people there, and so many great charities. I wasn't aware how many of these bear people are involved in charitable works. We were so pleased to give them a bit of publicity and spread the word!
Author
AuthorMitzi
0 Kudos

Teddy and I hope you enjoy the book! We look forward to writing the next one. Our location is already selected! ;-)