Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author PAMELA CALLOW

Welcome Pamela:

Your books look awesome! Can't wait to read them! Loved the suspenseful music in the video! Really sounded scary!

Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

CherubsLibrary wrote:

OMGosh!  A new author and series to follow!  This was a great interview/blog and I'm eager to checkout your website and read your books! Have to go count my pennies so I can go buy...

Thanks!  Karen C

Thanks for joining us!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Pamela:

Your books look awesome! Can't wait to read them! Loved the suspenseful music in the video! Really sounded scary!

Don't you love book trailers? I'm surprised more authors don't use them.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Pamela:

Definitely sold me!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Re: book trailers

I really do love book trailers and somehow have never gotten around to getting one! I remember when they first came out, It seemed likely that they might appear in B and N's (which would be fabulous!). You know, like Blockbuster--It used to be you could walk in a Blockbuster store and there would be movies playing all around you.

Somehow that never came to pass, so now I think book trailers are used mainly on authors' websites and FB.

I'm not even sure if they appear on publisher's websites --although that would be a great outlet for them, as well. Pam's are especially good, the music, the mood, everything!    

Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

mary_kennedy wrote:

So glad you are visiting today, Pam. Going to post the link on FB, I know your fans will want to join in.

I love the book trailers, they are fantastic, and really capture the mood of both books.

So glad you like the trailers! The one for DAMAGED was created by my publisher. I used it as a guide when I collaborated on the trailer for INDEFENSIBLE with a designer. It was a lot of fun creating the storyboard, finding the right images and music, and seeing it come together.

That was a terrific blog, you are so right, perception is everything. I was really drawn to the character of Kate--she's smart, strong, resourceful and I think it was an advantage that she's not a detective, not a special agent, etc.

I can see as a psychologist that perception would fascinate you, as well. I wanted to explore how perception can affect our interpretation of fact - for example, how a witness interprets what he or she sees is based on how it is perceived. In INDEFENSIBLE, Kate's mentor used a glass of water as a metaphor for perception. It is clear when we look at it, and yet when we place something behind the glass and look through the water, the image behind the glass is distorted.

I think it's always more dramatic when everyday people are caught up in high drama, I find myself wondering how they will react. Will they rise to the occasion, will they lean on others, will they crumble under the pressure, etc.

I've always been interested in people's stories. So when I read the news, I am always wondering how victims really felt, what the aftermath was like for them, their family, their careers, their relationships. When I write my stories, I try to take headline crimes, put ordinary people in those situations, and explore the impact across the board, from the people who investigate (the police, the Medical Examiner) to the victim, to the families, etc. Basically, I try remove the psychological distance of reading about a news story from the comfort of my sofa and try to figure out how my characters (and I) would react.

And I like the way you reveal the characters bit by bit. As the book goes on, we learn more and more about Kate and Randall--their motives, their dreams, their flaws. As a psychologist, I always think of a jig saw puzzle when I meet a new patient. How long will it take until a true picture emerges? How many pieces of the puzzle will I need to really get a handle on this person? (And what if they're holding back a few pieces of the puzzle in their pocket...that happens more than you think <g>).  

Jigsaw pieces is a perfect analogy. (And your description of how it works in your practice makes me want to be a psychologist! Must be fascinating!) Figuring out which elements to reveal is always a balance. I find I work best when I've explored my characters' backstory extensively before I write. 

I know this is going to be a great discussion!  

Thanks for your wonderful comments! :smileyhappy:

Join me at my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PamelaCallowAuthor?ref=sgm
www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Pam - Welcome to the B&N Community - I follow you on FB and in one of your contests I won Damaged and Indefensible "signed" !!!! I loved both of them. Dichotomy is a good word - I think it may fit all of us at one time or another. I can't wait to read more of your books....keep them coming.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Thank you for your warm welcome! I'm just loving the B&N community. :smileyhappy:

I'm very happy to hear you won my books and have enjoyed them. I'm hard at work on TATTOOED, book #3 of the series. I also just finished a short story for the International Thriller Writers THRILLER 3 anthology, featuring Eddie Bent from INDEFENSIBLE. 

I agree - dichotomy is a good word. Even the way it crunches in the mouth when you say it...it's so satisfying.

Join me at my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PamelaCallowAuthor?ref=sgm
www.pamelacallow.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

mary_kennedy wrote:

I really do love book trailers and somehow have never gotten around to getting one! I remember when they first came out, It seemed likely that they might appear in B and N's (which would be fabulous!). You know, like Blockbuster--It used to be you could walk in a Blockbuster store and there would be movies playing all around you.

Somehow that never came to pass, so now I think book trailers are used mainly on authors' websites and FB.

I'm not even sure if they appear on publisher's websites --although that would be a great outlet for them, as well. Pam's are especially good, the music, the mood, everything!    

That would be cool, Mary - maybe it will happen one of these days!

Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

CherubsLibrary wrote:

OMGosh!  A new author and series to follow!  This was a great interview/blog and I'm eager to checkout your website and read your books! Have to go count my pennies so I can go buy...

Thanks!  Karen C

HI Karen (love your pen name!),

Thanks for dropping by! I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview and blog. Hope you enjoy my series!

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love the theme of your blog, Pam! Some of my stories are lighter, but I've written (or started to write...) some pretty dark romantic suspense stories. My critique partners are always freaked out when I write those - I guess they thought I was more the cozy type! You can't judge writers by their appearance!

Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Pamela:

HI Eadie,

Thank you!   Each trailer has very different style music, but I think they work for each of the storylines. Glad you liked it!

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Pamela:

My sense is that authors aren't always sure if readers like them. My publisher decided to do the one for DAMAGED. I was very lucky. And when I saw what a great trailer it was, and how versatile it was - I've used it as an intro for speaking engagements, played it at signings, sent it out in my newsletter and had it on my sig line -- I realized it was a really useful promotional tool. So it was worth the money for me to invest in one for INDEFENSIBLE. 

On a creative level, I have friends who create "trailers" as part of the development of their book process. For the past few years, my writing group has done an annual collage session where we tap into our "subconscious" themes of our book and create a collage. It's a great exercise. And now some members of my group have done a multimedia upgrade and are creating trailers for their works-in-progress instead! I really enjoyed the process of making one for INDEFENSIBLE.

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I love the theme of your blog, Pam! Some of my stories are lighter, but I've written (or started to write...) some pretty dark romantic suspense stories. My critique partners are always freaked out when I write those - I guess they thought I was more the cozy type! You can't judge writers by their appearance!

Thanks, Becke! It's funny, isn't it? And yet most authors need to move around to keep the creative energy flowing. I have a time travel historical on the back burner, as well as a YA mystery. The voices are all different, as is the tone. I need light to be able to explore the dark, and vice versa.

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Welcome Pamela:

Definitely sold me!

Thank you, Eadie. That's good to know! 

And thank you for the warm welcome. :smileyhappy:

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

mary_kennedy wrote:

That would be cool, Mary - maybe it will happen one of these days!

One other place that publishers post trailers is YouTube. My publisher has a YouTube channel where they have all their in-house trailers, and people subscribe to them. I'm still coordinating with the administrator to get INDEFENSIBLE's uploaded there, but in the meantime, I created my own YouTube channel, LOL. If someone had told me a few years ago I'd have my own channel on YouTube I don't think I would have believed them. Still trying to figure out what else to put on it! 

www.pamelacallow.com
Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

You Tube Channel

Pam, I am technically challenged, but how can I subscribe to your You Tube channel, can I sign up for alerts when you upload something new? Or is there a link you could give us?? Inquiring minds want to know! <g>  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: You Tube Channel

I regularly search author names on YouTube - I find not just book trailers, but interviews and all kinds of fun things there.

Author
mary_kennedy
0 Kudos

Beckie The Techie...

Becke said, "I regularly search author names on YouTube - I find not just book trailers, but interviews and all kinds of fun things there" Becke, you are a techie--who knew? :-)

Author
PamelaCallow
0 Kudos

Re: You Tube Channel

Hi Mary,

Good question! I'm pretty new to this myself, but I think you just need a YouTube account and then you click the subscribe option on my channel page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PamelaCallow

Becke might be able to elaborate! 

Pam

www.pamelacallow.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Beckie The Techie...

mary_kennedy wrote:

Becke said, "I regularly search author names on YouTube - I find not just book trailers, but interviews and all kinds of fun things there" Becke, you are a techie--who knew? :-)

My kids and my husband are always sending me YouTube videos - I play there sometimes. :smileywink: