becke_davis
0 Kudos

Guest Blog by Author PEG HERRING

[ Edited ]

We have guest bloggers every day this week. Wednesday's blog is provided by author PEGGY HERRING!

Peg Herring lives in beautiful northern Michigan with her husband of many decades. She writes historical, vintage, and contemporary mysteries that feature strong women with great stories. Her mystery series set in Tudor England focuses on Elizabeth Tudor, who enlists the help of Simon Maldon, a crippled apothecary, when there are crimes to be solved. The first in the series, Her Highness’ First Murder, released from Five Star Press in January of 2010. Also in 2010, Herring released her first e-book with Red Rose Publishing, a Vietnam-era mystery called Go Home and Die.

Peg's website is here: http://www.pegherring.com/

pegherring_5B(WinCE).JPG
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Guest Blog by Author PEG HERRING

[ Edited ]

Biography 

Peg Herring is a writer who once taught high school English. After graduating from the University of Michigan, she worked in education, teaching English, history, and communications. Peg was active in the school, serving at different times as yearbook advisor, union president, drama coach, chorus leader, and class adviser. In 2002 she left teaching to pursue full-time writing.

Peg Herring’s love of history and years of teaching Shakespeare led toMacbeth’s Niece, her first published novel (Five Star). These days Peg speaks to groups on the writing process, reading genres, and public speaking. When not writing, directing musical groups or gardening, she and her husband enjoy travel, both abroad and in the Unites States.

Historical novels, especially mysteries, attract Peg, both as a reader and a writer. The research is fun, and she can lose herself for hours in a library studying William the Conqueror or Ivar the Boneless.

Writing historical mysteries is a challenge, since an author must capture the feel of the era for her readers while painting realistic characters in an exciting plot. In historicals one can ignore police procedures and DNA samples, concentrating instead on the intelligence of the protagonist, the ingenuity of the antagonist, and the wonderful details of what life was like in a time other than our own.

Peg’s contemporary mysteries center on female characters caught in threatening situations. Being strong women, they stand up for themselves and, in the process, find that they are capable of much more than they ever imagined.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Synopsis

The Dead Detective Agency 

Young secretary Tori Van Camp wakes one morning on a luxurious ocean liner where she is offered whatever a person might desire: food, clothes, recreation, and the companionship of congenial people. But Tori has no memory of booking a cruise. What she does have is a vivid recollection of being shot point blank in the chest.

With the help of the stunningly handsome Mike and the unnervingly serene Nancy, Tori soon learns the purpose of her voyage. Still, she is haunted by the image of the gun, the crack of the shot, and the malevolent face of the shooter. Who wanted her dead, and why?

Determined to find out, Tori enlists the help of Seamus, an eccentric but shrewd detective. Together they embark on an investigation unlike anything Tori ever thought possible. Death is all around, the future is uncertain, and if Tori does not act quickly, two people she cares about are prime candidates for murder.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

EXCERPT:

Does dreaming you are dead mean that you really die? The question came to Tori slowly as she stirred from oblivious sleep, stretching her feet between the smooth sheets, twisting her hips to a more comfortable position, and finally opening her eyes enough to see that it was day. “Wake up, Van Camp,” she mumbled, but her dread did not dissipate as nightmares do when faced with sunlight.

As full memory returned, Tori’s eyes opened fully. She clutched her chest, dreading the warm,

sticky blood certain to be there. A man had aimed a pistol directly at her. A twitch of his hand, an odd thumping noise, and after that, she recalled nothing.

The hand at her chest felt nothing unusual. There was no blood, and she was perfectly whole. Still, the image of death did not recede. The memory became more vivid, not less, the feeling that it had really happened more intense. Tori could almost hear the doorbell, her footsteps as she went to answer it, the few words spoken, and the silenced gunshot.

It was not that she felt dead, and a glance at a mirror to her right revealed that she did not look dead, either. Was her impression of death a dream? It had to be, and yet, it was so clear.

Three crisp knocks on the door startled her out of her reverie. On the other side of the door was a petite blond woman with darkly tanned skin and more makeup than a CNN anchor. “Ms. Van Camp? I’m Cinda, your hostess. How was your rest?” The words came in the professionally caring tone that people such as nurses and waitresses seem required under oath to adopt.

“Um, fine,” Tori replied uncertainly.

“Super!” Cinda exclaimed, more excited by the reply than was necessary. “Rest is the best thing.”

Confused by the banal opening remarks, Tori tried to ignore the woman’s perfume and over-the-top cheeriness. “I have some questions.”

“Of course you do.” Cinda tilted her head coquettishly. She was definitely of the perky persuasion, and while the ability to be upbeat at all times might be admirable, Tori suspected it often came from a superficial understanding of circumstances.

“Okay, let’s see. Your questions will be answered at…” she held a clipboard and, pulling a pencil with an abrupt rip from a little Velcro pad that secured it, used its point to make her way down a sheet of names. “…ten this morning, Office 112 D, if that’s convenient for you.” The reference to Tori’s convenience must have been pure diplomacy, since she did not wait for a reply. “Until then, you’re free to explore, okay? Breakfast is here on Deck E, and the fitness center on D is open all the time. You might get a massage, take a sauna, or visit the gym.”

“But I don’t understand what’s happened.”

“That’s why you’re meeting Nancy at ten. Until then, enjoy the facilities.”

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Reading, Writing, and E-books

Like many others, I had doubts about reading e-books. Would I miss the feel of a book in my hand? Would the device be complicated and hard to manage? My doubts lasted for about a minute and a half, the time it took to unpack the reader, buy a book, and start reading. Once I realized that e-reading was effortless, felt normal, and left one hand free for eating potato chips, I was well and truly hooked.

For a writer, e-books make things a little different. Before I was even paying much attention to the coming revolution, my agent contacted me with an offer to make the first book of my Elizabeth & Simon historical series, HER HIGHNESS’ FIRST MURDER, available as an e-book. Sure, why not? It was easy, and many of my former students were thrilled to not have to read the “old-person” way.

My agent also recommended a publisher who produces mostly e-books. I sold a stand-alone, GO HOME AND DIE, to them. Again, painless. The process was just like I’d experienced before: submit, edit, re-edit, and edit again. The only drawback I found with having only an e-book was that I didn’t have anything people could look over at author events. “Here! Buy this file!” is kinda lame. I learned to give out some sort of printed “reminder” and hope that people went home and bought the book.

As technology improves, that problem will undoubtedly disappear. Friends tell me they’ve seen people use whatever device they carry around with them to buy an author’s e-book right on the spot. The next problem is how to sign an e-book, and no one has solved that one yet. I vote for some sort of charm readers can attach to a zipper pull. It could hold the cover art of whatever book they are currently reading, and the author could sign the back side. Voila: a memento of meeting the author plus a quick answer when someone sees your Nook and asks, “What are you reading?”

My latest sale is to a print-on-demand and e-book publisher, which is perfect for me. I have books to sell locally, so my die-hard traditional fans are satisfied, but the e-book is available to lots of people I will never meet.

LL-Publishing is great about on-line promotion, and they took the time to put the book in most electronic formats (including Nook’s, of course!). I’ve gotten pretty good at on-line promotion, too, so together we are getting the word out about THE DEAD DETECTIVE AGENCY, which begins a new series called the Dead Detective Mysteries.

In case I’ve caught your interest, THE DEAD DETECTIVE AGENCY is a different kind of paranormal: no werewolves or bloodsuckers of any kind. It’s simply a mystery in which half of the cast is dead. I had a great time with it, and the critics seem to like it (always a relief). I’m working on Book #2, which will be titled DEAD FOR THE MONEY.

E-reading is here to stay, although I still read print-and-ink books, too. I’m guessing the time will come when one device fits a huge variety of tasks, and reading will be only one of them. Right now, I like the slim little reader I can slip into my purse or hold in one hand. The cat likes it too, since it leaves her more room on my lap than those “clunky old, double sided books do” (her words, not mine!).

Peg Herring is a former educator who reads, writes, and loves mysteries. She lives in northern Lower Michigan with her husband of many decades. They like to travel and garden, mostly for the benefit of local deer, elk, and rabbits.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Oooh, Oooh!*Raising hand and waving it a la Hermione Granger*

I've read Her Highness's First Murder! So, for once, I am slightly ahead of the game rather than trying to play catch-up.

I remember I was a bit sceptical about what the plot line would be like, with a title like that--considering the history of the Tudor family, especially the bloody reign of her father, Henry VIII, I thought it quite possible that the book would be about Elizabeth's ordering some henchman to do the dirty deed for her. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the title was more of a play on words, and that the book presents her in partnership with Simon to solve a murder, rather than the commission of one.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Oooh, Oooh!*Raising hand and waving it a la Hermione Granger*

I've read Her Highness's First Murder! So, for once, I am slightly ahead of the game rather than trying to play catch-up.

I remember I was a bit sceptical about what the plot line would be like, with a title like that--considering the history of the Tudor family, especially the bloody reign of her father, Henry VIII, I thought it quite possible that the book would be about Elizabeth's ordering some henchman to do the dirty deed for her. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the title was more of a play on words, and that the book presents her in partnership with Simon to solve a murder, rather than the commission of one.

Fricka - That is so cool! I love the title - very intriguing!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Peg - What are you working on now? Or is it too soon to talk about it?

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Welcome Peg

I love the whole Tudor era mysteries, "bios" and such.  And I really enjoy reading e-books...so much easier to not lose your bookmark.

Good luck

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The B&N gremlins and gnomes have been keeping Peg Herring from responding to your comments. We're trying to fix the problem, but in the meantime, Peg has asked me to post her responses:

First, I was thrilled that Fricka had heard of--even read--HER HIGHNESS' FIRST MURDER. I just got the cover art for the second in that series, POISON, YOUR GRACE, (November, 2011). It is very cool, and as soon as my publisher says it's official, I will post it on my website (http://pegherring.com).

As to what I'm working on now, it's the next book in both series. For the historicals, the third book will be called (if my publisher agrees) THE LADY FLIRTS WITH DEATH. Elizabeth Tudor is now living under her sister Mary's rule, and some advisors suggest that Mary should behead Elizabeth and settle the whole succession question once and for all. Along with that worry comes a mystery, with Simon eager to help, of course!

The sequel to THE DEAD DETECTIVE AGENCY is called DEAD FOR THE MONEY. Seamus takes on a new case in which an old man wonders if his grandson might have plotted to kill him. He asks Seamus to prove the young man did NOT, but that's not how Seamus operates: he is

only after the truth. This time he's provided with a partner, much to his dismay, and (one hopes) the reader's enjoyment.

If it sounds a little confusing, it is. Two series: each with a book out, one with a second in production and a third in my head. Add to that another e-book coming in June from MysterEbook, and you've got one crazed writer. It's called SHAKESPEARE'S BLOOD. See my website for more on that one, planned for release for all e-readers in June (is that really only a

little over a month away! AAAAAAArgh!

Once again, thanks to Becke for hosting me!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Loved your blog, Peg, my cat would react the opposite in that he likes old library books. It got to be embarrassing at one point as every book I had from the library, the cat had to check it out. He would mark it with his mouth, then, try to bite it to chew on it. He did this in his younger years. He's 17 now. One day not long ago, I got a book out of the library and it had his teeth marks in it. Funny how things happen in a span of 17 years.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
Peg_Herring
0 Kudos

So sorry, everyone. The B& N site didn't like me yesterday. With Becke's help, I hope I answered the questions you posed.

I got the final proof for SHAKESPEARE'S BLOOD today, so now I have LOTS to do, but it will be worth it, I hope.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Peg_Herring wrote:

So sorry, everyone. The B& N site didn't like me yesterday. With Becke's help, I hope I answered the questions you posed.

I got the final proof for SHAKESPEARE'S BLOOD today, so now I have LOTS to do, but it will be worth it, I hope.

Hurray!  I'm so glad you were able to sign in at last! I'll get you set up with an author tag.

Author
PegHerring
0 Kudos

You: Hmmm. Have I read this book before? Oh, yes, I have. Kitty's teeth marks are on it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Loved your blog, Peg, my cat would react the opposite in that he likes old library books. It got to be embarrassing at one point as every book I had from the library, the cat had to check it out. He would mark it with his mouth, then, try to bite it to chew on it. He did this in his younger years. He's 17 now. One day not long ago, I got a book out of the library and it had his teeth marks in it. Funny how things happen in a span of 17 years.

I had a cat who used to do that. Memories!

Author
Peg_Herring
0 Kudos

Author PEG HERRING

Anyone looking for something different?

My new stand-alone, SHAKESPEARE'S BLOOD, will soon be available for Nook (any day now!). Here's the teaser:

Vacationing in Britain, Mercedes Maxwell finds an old journal that makes outrageous claims about William Shakespeare and hidden treasure. Soon she is spun into a world of terror as a killer stalks her, leaving a trail of corpses behind. Unsure who can be trusted, Mercedes realizes she must solve the riddles of the old book and locate the treasure cache before the killer finds her, She would like to have help, but are those who offer it after the gold, or do they really want to unravel the secrets of Shakespeare's blood?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Author PEG HERRING

Peg_Herring wrote:

Anyone looking for something different?

My new stand-alone, SHAKESPEARE'S BLOOD, will soon be available for Nook (any day now!). Here's the teaser:

Vacationing in Britain, Mercedes Maxwell finds an old journal that makes outrageous claims about William Shakespeare and hidden treasure. Soon she is spun into a world of terror as a killer stalks her, leaving a trail of corpses behind. Unsure who can be trusted, Mercedes realizes she must solve the riddles of the old book and locate the treasure cache before the killer finds her, She would like to have help, but are those who offer it after the gold, or do they really want to unravel the secrets of Shakespeare's blood?

I wish we could access ebook links in advance of publication. This is very exciting, Peg!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

New Release by Author PEG HERRING

[ Edited ]

Peg's new Dead Detective mystery, DEAD FOR THE MONEY, just came out!

Here's the link for the book:

Dead for the Money  

Dead for the Money: The Dead Detective Mysteries #2

And here's the Nook link:

Dead for the Money  

This is the second book in the series. If you want to read book one, here's the link:

The Dead Detective Agency